feedback for next filming

laventi

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! I love every product you put out and am such a big fan.

Having said that, I have a comment on the new videos. I am not liking how the camera angles keep changing, I think it totally breaks the continuity of the workout, at least while I am still learning the workouts, may change once I know them better. For instance, I like doing the video from the front shot, but you will have a front shot for a few seconds, then go to a side shot and hold for twice as long, then go to a shot without Cathe and hold that for a while, then finally back to Cathe. They will also have you out of the shot even when you are cueing a new move.

So, as impressive as NFL Films sounds, from what I have seen so far, I like the previous way of filming. I like to see Cathe in the shot 99% of the workout and I like to see the workout head on - not from the side, back, top, or your feet only doing a calf pump.

I hate to post this because, as I said it has nothing to do with content. BUT, I would like you to hear this feedback moving forward into your future filmings.

Thanks for listening!

Lynn

I'll add on:
I also think it would be nice to have a short tutorial chapter for some of the trickier cardio moves, so we can isolate and practice them if we wish.

For example, on this series, it would have been nice to have a 'sneak preview' of the 'hitch kick' move from HIS, and the 'leg sweep cross', 'crazy crosswalk' and 'cross the step forward and backwards with leg out to the side' moves in LIS, showing each part at a bit slower pace, then at full speed, pointing out any details we should be aware of for proper and safe execution. (If each move were given 1-minute of tutorial--though 30 seconds might suffice--that's only 4 minutes of disc space used).

I'll add on:
I also think it would be nice to have a short tutorial chapter for some of the trickier cardio moves, so we can isolate and practice them if we wish.

For example, on this series, it would have been nice to have a 'sneak preview' of the 'hitch kick' move from HIS, and the 'leg sweep cross', 'crazy crosswalk' and 'cross the step forward and backwards with leg out to the side' moves in LIS, showing each part at a bit slower pace, then at full speed, pointing out any details we should be aware of for proper and safe execution. (If each move were given 1-minute of tutorial--though 30 seconds might suffice--that's only 4 minutes of disc space used).

My slow motion button has been very helpful in isolating the trickier moves, but I too would love to see a tutorial section that has all the complex moves in one place to practice.

Hi Lynn!

I am the opposite - I love being able to see the cast more than ever and I love the camera angles.

The cast is now more than just "props" in the back -- the new series brings them to life!

I guess we all differ in that respect though.....

;-)

Hi Amy!

For me, the cast serves the purpose of "we're all in this together", and it is nice that we longtime customers have come to know and love the familiar faces. However, I still feel that I am buying a Cathe video and that is where I usually focus. Although, notably, their form is so amazingly similiar, you can tell they practice, practice, practice before filming!!

It is all a matter of taste, though, as you said!!

We are all working out hard still and are better for it!!!

Stay strong,

Lynn :)

I don't mind the camera angles so much, but I'm with you on the "tutorial" chapter. Not even something that breaks it down too much, but just simply a walk through of the entire sequence rather than the full-speed version in the workout. That way, when one needs to add modifiers, they can be worked out prior to working out. Also, LEFT and RIGHT would be nice. In High Intensity there are approx 200 directional changes with all the twists and turns - the words left and right are used ZERO times!! what?!?!?!?! makes no sense at all. I know I will never do that workout. My knees don't handle step to begin with, and I live in an apartment, so don't the required ballroom space. Add that there is no opportunity to learn modifications or how to condense the moves into smaller space, even without a step..... Forget about it. I'm not going to injure myself just to figure it out. Maybe the Lower Intensity.
With that said - I LOVE the Bootcamp and the Kickbox.
Ironicaly, the easiest to learn have the most cues and suggestions for modification. Go figure.
Overall, love the new workouts, though. particularly the zillion premix options.
Thanks, Cathe!

I have tried /previewed the two step workouts so far and they look like loads of fun. I am sure once I get the moves I will really enjoy them and appreciate not too much breakdown so you can really go for it.

I have only done the chest and back weights section so far but I really didn't like not working with the beat on the lifts. When you lying on your back and trying to keep good form it is difficult to watch the screen and I found myself getting out of sync with Cathe and the crew. I noticed that they were not all together either some of the time. Perhaps I'll get used to it - it may be a little early to criticise but since this thread is about constructive feedback, I think I would have preferred no music if it's not possible to get music with a slow enough beat.

However overall really impressed with the workouts so far.
Ruth

> I think I would have
>preferred no music if it's not possible to get music with a
>slow enough beat.
>

There is a 'no music' option, so just toggle the 'audio' button on your remote control to turn off the music in the weight segments.

>I really didn't like not working with the beat on the lifts.
>When you lying on your back and trying to keep good form it is
>difficult to watch the screen and I found myself getting out
>of sync with Cathe and the crew.

One thing that would help here, Cathe, is if you announce beforehand how many reps are in the sets that are not following the music, so we at least know what to aim for, even if our pace is a bit different from yours.;-)

> Also, LEFT and RIGHT would be nice.
> In High Intensity there are approx 200 directional changes
>with all the twists and turns - the words left and right are
>used ZERO times!! what?!?!?!?! makes no sense at all.

I just did HIS, and I have to say I agree (though there are a couple--and almost literally only a couple, as in 2--cues for left and right during the workout, the ones that I think would help the most are 'missing').

It was frustrating to 'almost' get the choreo, but be tripped up (almost literally, when I had to correct myself!) by not getting on the right foot, and then having to quickly get into place (like on the 'fast foot' move, where a cue as to what foot starts would be so helpful--or even, again, a heads up in the tutorial that says "always start the move with the foot that's towards the TV," then abbreviating the cue during the actual workout.)

(This was especially frustrating as I had just previewed Kelly Coffey-Meyer's new workouts, and the tutorials in those are very helpful and well done--and allow Kelly to not have to slow down the workout itself to break down the moves too much).

I like the camera angles and the overall production. I also like the style of instruction. I've now done all the workouts and I LOVE them. True, many of the step moves were new to me and required a bit of practice (I just did a basic step and watched them at first), but I was able to get everything on my first attempt at the workouts. I also did not preview anything this time, so to me that really speaks to how well everything is cued. As long as I'm listening and watching, I don't need more left/right cuing either. I find that the moves flow really well and it's quite intuitive to stay on the right foot.

This may just mean that I'm "in-tune" with Cathe's style. I certainly don't catch on as quickly with every step instructor. No offense to anyone and I'm not saying that others are wrong, but just wanted to add my perspective as a totally satisfied customer.

And I agree that a tutorial could help in the beginning, but once you've got it, you've got it. If that same disk space could be used to hold more premixes, I'd want the premixes.

Amy

> If that same disk space
>could be used to hold more premixes, I'd want the premixes.

In this case, I don't think we'd lose much by if a 10-minute tutorial replaced (if that's even necessary) the cardio premixes that we could easily come up with on our own with very little use of the remote (since they are just the cardio from the two workouts done back-to-back, and not a more complex alternating format).

I love the new workouts, but the varying camera angles bother me as well. Guess I'm so used to the previous videos which is like doing the class in person and live . . . watching the instructor head on and not from side or aerial views. The camera angles throw me off . . . maybe I'll feel better about it the more I do them.

Cathe.
The quality and filming of 4DS is superb. I love it. The camera angles I'm used to from others before I discovered you. The routine, the set, the crew, and the instructor are GREAT!! I've done HIS and Kickbox without issue, and I plan the same for HIS and Bootcamp.
What I like in the weight part of kickbox are those sitdown firewalkers with the resistance band.

Keep up the Great Work!!

I normally don't like weird camera angles, but the ones on these workouts have been fine for me so far. I didn't personally find it hard to follow or anything, though I've had that problem with other instructors' workouts before so I can understand that position. I think it all looks great.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=teal]***Lainie***

My fitness blog: http://web.mac.com/lainiefig/iWeb/Site/Exercise/Exercise.html
7.gif

I didn't mind the camera angles but I would like to say that it was disconcerting and distracting hearing Cathe breathing hard during the workouts--it must be due to the microphone hanging from her head. In all the other workouts I own, the microphone is mounted somewhere on her back.

Betty

Cathe, I think the videos are really spectacular, and I like the different twist you put on changing angles and incorporating the entire crew into the video. I also appreciate that I can hear you breathing hard, because it makes me feel like you are working with me, and that even you, my fitness hero, gets out of breath sometimes!!! Your choreography is super and very comprehensive. A job well done, as usual.

>I didn't mind the camera angles but I would like to say that
>it was disconcerting and distracting hearing Cathe breathing
>hard during the workouts--it must be due to the microphone
>hanging from her head. In all the other workouts I own, the
>microphone is mounted somewhere on her back.
>
>Betty

In her last series, she had the microphone by her mouth as well--it's better quality that way. She used a new production company this time that (in my opinion) has mastered the art of vocals in filming and her voice is ubelievable this time. It shocks me how much we can hear--I feel like she's right in the room next to me!

Congrats to you and your staff, Cathe on another filming project WELL done! You all look amazing, the quality is superb and the workouts themselves are killer. You have once again outdone yourself. I couldn't be happier!

Allison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.