Favorite workout shoes

rhbrand

Cathlete
The Rykas I've been using for a couple years for areobics, step and metabolic style workouts are finally breaking down.

Time to get new shoes. What kind of shoes do you ladies all like?

The Rykas I've been using for a couple years for areobics, step and metabolic style workouts are finally breaking down.

Time to get new shoes. What kind of shoes do you ladies all like?
Hi rhbrand!
I have the same question as you and would really appreciate some suggestions from members here. I am having a horrible time finding an appropriately supportive and comfortable shoe for Cathe's step and other workouts.
Wishing you and everyone here all the best!

No help here since I've been using Rykas for many, many years and haven't felt the need to change to a different brand.

I think this is highly individual as feet have such variations. Last time I purchased, I ordered a bunch from Zappos knowing that I would be returning most - I tried them on, did a few moves in my workout area and discovered that some I initially thought would be great, turned out to cause discomfort- but not right away. The brands that work great for me for walking, their cross-trainers and HiIt -specific shoes were terrible,, for my feet at least. So I suggest you find a store with a generous return policy and try out a few different options. Good luck!

I have the same question. I had been using ASICs crosstrainers but seems like they don't make any cross trainers anymore. Also for dance cardio or step workouts, I did notice my foot would stick a bit to the ground or step and that would pull on my knees a bit. I ordered a bunch of Ryka's from zappos but don't think any of them are going to work...none of them fit well except for one pair and they have no lateral support. Anyone tried Innov8?

One of the pair I purchased was an Innov8 with a knit fabric to accommodate my bunions. I use them for weight workouts & metabolic weight workouts - they also work fine for HiIt for me. I often use a Hoka One One for step, spin floor aerobics and HiIt. I use Altra's for walking, but their HiIt shoe was too narrow for my bunions. The Nike's & Ryka's all didn't accommodate my bunions.

Hi All!

I did quite a bit of research online, combing through various "best of" lists and recommendations from several sites (including this one) and ordered several pairs of shoes to try on. I have rather narrow feet (size 8.5-9) with a bunion on my right foot, and I have found that many athletic shoes are too wide for me. My comments below are obviously based on my personal experiences with the various shoes, and may not be how someone else feels about the pairs I tried.

I tried five pairs of shoes: the Reebok Hiit TR, Nike SuperRep Go, Asics GEL-Nimbus 22, Nike Air Zoom SuperRep Women's HIIT and the Hoka One One Tivra. I ordered the first three pairs from Zappos, and the last two directly from the companies that make them. Both the Reebok and Nike SuperRep Go felt very comfortable and supportive before and in the early stages of my workout (I tried them with Cathe's ATHLETIC STEP), but fizzled out and I switched shoes mid-workout: the Reebok Hiit TR seemed promising until they made my feet fall asleep and I subbed in the Nike SuperRep Go, which was also a no-Go. The Asics GEL-Nimbus 22 felt very comfortable and cushy, but the treads caught and scraped across the Step in a way that made them a fail for me.

I found the Nike Air Zoom SuperRep Women's HIIT directly from Nike to be an overall decent training and step aerobics shoe. It is cushioned and supportive enough for weights and lots of jumping and lateral movement. The way the toe is designed made lot of quick footing changes feel very spring-like. My only issue is that it is challenging to lace the Air Zoom SuperReps tight enough to feel that my feet are secure with no extraneous movement.

OK--now the good news: my final pair turned out to be the winner. Reading someone else's previous post from another thread, I tried out the HOKA ONE ONE TIVRA. I will find that post again and thank the author. The Tivra felt uniformly comfortable from the moment I put it on. I did Cathe's CARDIO & WEIGHTS workout, and I blew threw it with no aches or pains, just ease and actually, joy. I felt the Tivra had the right amount of cushion, support and spring to make the workout a joy.

So, you may have a different reaction to the shoes I tried on than I did, but from my experience, I highly recommend giving the Hoka One One Tivras a try.

I do love my Hoka's I have for walking outside and the pair I wear at work at the hospital I'll have to check out the Tivra

Hi All!

I did quite a bit of research online, combing through various "best of" lists and recommendations from several sites (including this one) and ordered several pairs of shoes to try on. I have rather narrow feet (size 8.5-9) with a bunion on my right foot, and I have found that many athletic shoes are too wide for me. My comments below are obviously based on my personal experiences with the various shoes, and may not be how someone else feels about the pairs I tried.

I tried five pairs of shoes: the Reebok Hiit TR, Nike SuperRep Go, Asics GEL-Nimbus 22, Nike Air Zoom SuperRep Women's HIIT and the Hoka One One Tivra. I ordered the first three pairs from Zappos, and the last two directly from the companies that make them. Both the Reebok and Nike SuperRep Go felt very comfortable and supportive before and in the early stages of my workout (I tried them with Cathe's ATHLETIC STEP), but fizzled out and I switched shoes mid-workout: the Reebok Hiit TR seemed promising until they made my feet fall asleep and I subbed in the Nike SuperRep Go, which was also a no-Go. The Asics GEL-Nimbus 22 felt very comfortable and cushy, but the treads caught and scraped across the Step in a way that made them a fail for me.

I found the Nike Air Zoom SuperRep Women's HIIT directly from Nike to be an overall decent training and step aerobics shoe. It is cushioned and supportive enough for weights and lots of jumping and lateral movement. The way the toe is designed made lot of quick footing changes feel very spring-like. My only issue is that it is challenging to lace the Air Zoom SuperReps tight enough to feel that my feet are secure with no extraneous movement.

OK--now the good news: my final pair turned out to be the winner. Reading someone else's previous post from another thread, I tried out the HOKA ONE ONE TIVRA. I will find that post again and thank the author. The Tivra felt uniformly comfortable from the moment I put it on. I did Cathe's CARDIO & WEIGHTS workout, and I blew threw it with no aches or pains, just ease and actually, joy. I felt the Tivra had the right amount of cushion, support and spring to make the workout a joy.

So, you may have a different reaction to the shoes I tried on than I did, but from my experience, I highly recommend giving the Hoka One One Tivras a try.

Thanks for sharing!!! This is helpful. :)

I do love my Hoka's I have for walking outside and the pair I wear at work at the hospital I'll have to check out the Tivra
Hi Rhonda! If you already like Hokas, I think you might really appreciate the Tivras. This is my first pair of Hokas and I am impressed. Wishing you all the best--Kim

So after buying NOT the Tivras, I got a pair of Reeboks that were on sale, cause well, I wanted to save money to spoil my grandbaby for Christmas (LOL) I found they well were bad.

So finally, after months, I used a small chunk of my stimulus money on the Hoka Tivras and I wish I had just gotten them first. They are so comfy!

So after buying NOT the Tivras, I got a pair of Reeboks that were on sale, cause well, I wanted to save money to spoil my grandbaby for Christmas (LOL) I found they well were bad.

So finally, after months, I used a small chunk of my stimulus money on the Hoka Tivras and I wish I had just gotten them first. They are so comfy!
Thanks for reporting back!! I am definitely eyeing these... Do they run true to size for you?

Pretty true to size. I get mine a little big so I can thick cushioned socks with them and they feel good.

I have the same question. I had been using ASICs crosstrainers but seems like they don't make any cross trainers anymore. Also for dance cardio or step workouts, I did notice my foot would stick a bit to the ground or step and that would pull on my knees a bit. I ordered a bunch of Ryka's from zappos but don't think any of them are going to work...none of them fit well except for one pair and they have no lateral support. Anyone tried Innov8?
Hi there! I Just used my last pair of asics cross trainers and desperately trying to find a shoe similar to my ASICS CROSS TRAINERS. Did you find a shoe to replace your ASICS?

Suggesting shoes is difficult because tastes and comfort vary depending on the type of foot. I like some Reebok's, but not all fit the same. I also find their expensive cross trainers very uncomfortable. I have been buying Ryka's for a while now, mainly because I have a slightly wider toe box and high arch. They accommodate that. I recently purchased Devotion XT and they are perfect shoe for me. Very cushiony and supportive. I don't think I will purchase any other brand for workiing out. They are also reasonably priced compared to other brands.

I am glad I finally found a winner. Shoes can be way overpriced for the crappy materials they use. Most fall apart so quickly. I have found a $50 pair of shoes canbe more comfortable than the $100+ pair. Just sayin.

I think when its time, I'm going back to Ryka again. I do like my Hoka Tivra but well, I can get a pair of Ryka's for less money and I like them just as much if not more.
That and Ryka big thing is made by women for women. I have to give props to a company that designs stuff for women.

I think when its time, I'm going back to Ryka again. I do like my Hoka Tivra but well, I can get a pair of Ryka's for less money and I like them just as much if not more.
That and Ryka big thing is made by women for women. I have to give props to a company that designs stuff for women.
Hi rhbrand, I totally agree with you. I purchased the Hoka Tivra also and yes, they were very nice, but expensive. I've used Ryka for a long time and decided to continue to use them because they were just as comfortable as the Hokas. I think I purcahsed the Hoka for a "Pandemic Treat" I needed something to cheer me up. Again, I got my Rykas back and love them and that they are made specifically for women.

My word I swear, you think like I did. Got the Tivra's when we were deep in staying at home, and I was a little bummed a few things I wanted to do got canceled so, I did online shopping instead LOL.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.