favorite weight training

What is your favorite weight training method: heavy vs light, splits vs full body, body weight vs weights?

Do you find one method works better for your body then another?

Nowadays I am Total Body person. I like to hit everything at once and I find with my schedule and needs, I can better fit in 2 TB workouts than trying for 3-5 days of splits. I have a body type that responds to all types of lifting. As long as I am pumping some iron, I get the results I want regardless of food. But if I stop lifting, results are a SLOW GO.

I used to love splits but prefer TB. I am though after pregnancy going to add some splits back in even if it's GYM Styles Timesaver Premixes or shorter premixes from XTrain. I have several muscle inbalances not to mention just very weak, VERY weak muscle groups. The splits in this case will helpto target them more effectively for the needs that I have. Gym Styles rocked for me in that way. I did lower body strength with body weight and bands only and GS for upper and I found to be most happy with my results- especially when we talk about functionality.

Thanks for all the replies. I love reading everyone's responses. I don't really have a favorite but I like the idea of 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weights instead of doing one thing for the whole hour.

I do this too. When you focus and you know what you want to do, 30 minutes of each is really all you need. Or better when you do circuits you combine the two. I like the 30-50 minute range for total workout time. Although 60 minutes is max when doing both cardio and strength at once. But oddly enough, the time goes by faster and I feel more refreshed. Maybe it's the mentality?!

I've tried all sorts of weight training (circuit, total body, UB/LB, splits), but I find the one that really gives me results is splits, followed closely by UB/LB days. I did circuit-syle for 2 years before I found Cathe, and although I lost weight, I saw little muscle definition & tone. My body definitely needs days where I can focus intensely on as few muscle groups as possible...enter STS :D

Natasha

Total body preference

I am a total body girl...I do switch from endurance High reps to Heavy from time to time cause I notice it is the best way of gaining results. A

I strongly believe in muscle confusion...That is why I do add interval and circuit in between. Never let your body to accustom to same routine. That is why I recently completely switched off from my preference of total body routine to Split...I am currently on Gym style and looking forward to starting STS. I have noticed such a change in my upper body.:)
I do throw in twenty to thirty minutes before or after pure heavy. To keep myself going i need an adrenaline to get me kicked off for a full hour focusing of pure Heavy.

Kind Regards,

Nathalie

I periodize my weight training

This is a fun thread because I am an iron maiden at heart!! I like to periodize my weight training so my body doesn't get used to one style. For example now I am on a heavy split routine back/bi's chest/tri's, shoulders/core, legs heavy, and glutes/plyo's. Next month it may be 2 upper and 2 lower or 3 total body. Because I am trying to put on muscle I tend to stick with splits. My weight workouts btw don't last any longer then 30-45minutes. It's all about intensity!!! Same thing with cardio. That's why I love Cathe's crossfire and to the max. There are some great 20-30 min premixes I tack on to the end of my wieght workouts.

My weight workouts btw don't last any longer then 30-45minutes. It's all about intensity!!! Same thing with cardio. That's why I love Cathe's crossfire and to the max. There are some great 20-30 min premixes I tack on to the end of my wieght workouts.

My thoughts exactly!!! Short but intense! I love training this way! :D

Periodization

Thanks to your input ladies:)

@kris...I agree with you I am a iron maiden at heart too ;) I was thinking of reducing the length of weight session but I find it difficult. I am on an hour at the moment plus about maximum 25 minutes twice per week/other four days an hour. According to study workout should not last longer than that.

Reading your feedback I will re-consider the time spent throughout the training. I workout first thing in the morning. I like concurrent training (Cardio plus weight training) and pure cardio other day. I gained some definition. GS is my second split program after being on TB program. I must admit GS has shocked my body and helped gaining some definition. I am currently sore writting this.Two more weeks on GS, (love it) and I will change for undulating rotation.

Kind Regards,

Nathalie

Another idea

@ Natalie

I wonder if you can use the workout blender to blend GS with cardio somehow? I'm not sure how the workout blender works. Or you can tack on quickie 20-30 minutes of cardio at the end of your workout. Another idea if you have a treadmill or other piece of cardio equipment at home is to do a few sets of GS pause then hop on the treadmill and do a sprint.

@ Natalie

I wonder if you can use the workout blender to blend GS with cardio somehow? I'm not sure how the workout blender works. Or you can tack on quickie 20-30 minutes of cardio at the end of your workout. Another idea if you have a treadmill or other piece of cardio equipment at home is to do a few sets of GS pause then hop on the treadmill and do a sprint.

@Kriss

This is sound perfect for me...It is definitely the plan. Neither do I know how to use the workout blender...20-30 minutes of cross fire and/or TTM will come very handy. I do do some other step premixes too. Another option would be to list some of plyometrics move and get an interval timer to set my own routines.

Ladies it sound like we are all "salivating" boarding this New train:D

I can not wait ;-)

@ Natalie

I don't know how to use the workout manager however, GS has some great shorter premixes. You can combine a premix with 20-30 minutes of cardio and still stick to 55-65 minute sessions. I also like the concept of adding treadmill work in between sets or muscle groups; I think that would work well with the premixes too. GS is a fabulous series and one that regardless of where I am at in my fitness or what fitness style I am currently crazy for, I will always recommend that to everyone! I liked STS, but for me GS will always be the Gold Star in Cathe's Library. I have a sweet spot in my heart for the Hardcore Series so I might be a little biased. :D

@ Natalie

@KrisS

I Work out at home and have not got a treadmill. I wish I had space to have a Gym room. I have not subscribed to a Gym membership. I did 30/20 Hiit from To the max Plus chest, triceps from GS. The TTM premix last 26 minutes including warm up and stretch. I am ok with that. I love GS, I just wish I'd embarked on it years ago! I would have been much stronger by now ;-)
Thanks for your tips you "iron maiden hearted lady" ;-)

I split up my upper and lower body

I do upper one day and lower a day, and I donI stress out if I miss a day or do less. I finally learned how to mix and match, and, as I am a small woman, who is very top heavy, my doctor told me never to do chest or shoulders.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.