favorite weight training

kariev

Cathlete
What is your favorite weight training method: heavy vs light, splits vs full body, body weight vs weights?

Do you find one method works better for your body then another?

I am a split girl. I love doing split weight work with heavy weights. I definitely get more upper body definition this way. I do two leg and three upper body w/o's per week. For example, back/bi's, legs, chest/shoulders/triceps, legs, an hour of upper body. This works great for me!:D HTH!:)

cher54 said:
I am a split girl. I love doing split weight work with heavy weights. I definitely get more upper body definition this way. I do two leg and three upper body w/o's per week. For example, back/bi's, legs, chest/shoulders/triceps, legs, an hour of upper body. This works great for me!:D HTH!:)

Same here....this works best for me as well. And I also like to double up on legs.

I prefer whole body circuits. I am especially fond of CW or LIC (original) or the new LIS series (all the whole body workouts). I also really like some of Jillian's circuits and then pairing that with some more cardio, like her Shred it with weights (kettlebells) or Six Pack Abs (30 min. of core) and then pair that with a run or step. I do best with a circuit in the mix.

RapidBreath said:
I prefer whole body circuits. I am especially fond of CW or LIC (original) or the new LIS series (all the whole body workouts). I also really like some of Jillian's circuits and then pairing that with some more cardio, like her Shred it with weights (kettlebells) or Six Pack Abs (30 min. of core) and then pair that with a run or step. I do best with a circuit in the mix.

Same here. Total body circuits by far are my favorite!

This is my preference. I love STS and have done it for a bit, but it does not work as well for me as when I do at least 2 to 3 whole body workouts throughout the week.

I love to do all UB after cardio one day, then all LB after cardio the next. I'm concerned with the XTRAIN dvds that they will be splits, which I don't like. I hope with premixes, I can do them the way I want to.

I really like split workouts - BUT have recently had to change my workouts lately due to minor surgery (no heavy lifting) so I have been doing light circuit work and I really like the results. I haven't done any heavy leg work and my legs are thinning out. I am on the shorter side with legs on the heavy side - so I may stick with this for a while. I really love the new workouts for toning the lower body mixed in with cardio. For upper body I have been doing segments from Turbo Barre and High Reps.

I love circuit work outs and HiiT style resistance training the best b/c it works the best for my body. I do both upper/lower splits and f/b routines. Most of my work outs are 30m or less so I always have time to add on cardio or yoga when I am done if I want to. I prefer not to spend 60 minutes on just weight training or just cardio anymore. 30 minutes is usally the maximum for me these days. The only exception to this rule is my usual once weekly gym weight work out with my DH that I do...:)

Last edited:
I love circuit work outs and HiiT style resistance training the best b/c it works the best for my body. I do both upper/lower splits and f/b routines. Most of my work outs are 30m or less so I always have time to add on cardio or yoga when I am done if I want to. I prefer not to spend 60 minutes on just weight training or just cardio anymore. 30 minutes is usally the maximum for me these days. The only exception to this rule is my usual once weekly gym weight work out with my DH that I do...:)

Wendy: do you use workout dvds or do you create your own routines? Can you give examples of your workouts? I like the idea of doing 30 minutes of something, mixing it up instead of 60 minutes of one thing.

Wendy: do you use workout dvds or do you create your own routines? Can you give examples of your workouts? I like the idea of doing 30 minutes of something, mixing it up instead of 60 minutes of one thing.

I use free routines on the web...Here are links to the three sites I rotate between...HTH. :)

Fitness Blog, Workout Routines, Nutrition Facts, Beauty : @LovingFit

BODYROCK.tv | Fitness Advice, Workout Videos, Health & Fitness | Bodyrock.tv

Zuzka Light's channel - YouTube

Thanks! Do you workout off of your computer or is there a way to download these workouts onto a dvd? Great sites!

Thanks! Do you workout off of your computer or is there a way to download these workouts onto a dvd? Great sites!

Alot of the workouts are "real time" which means you can follow along on your pc but when I first started doing this they were all short videos just to show exercise form so you had to write down the moves and do it on your own. This is what I got used to so even though lots of the work outs are "real time" now, I still choose to do it the "old fashioned" way. LOL ;)

PS-they are not downloadable workouts.

Wendy, Zuzka and bodyrock are awesome! And free!! Really haven't tried any off the new bodyrock. I need to start doing those workouts, they look like fun! I love youtube, you find all kinds of free workouts on there.

Kariev -- I just select a "timesaver" cardio premix on Cathe's DVDs and add it to a weight workout. I can get it very close to one hour that way. Also, 4DS and CTX are made to be 1/2 hour and then some weight work to get to about an hour.

Heavy splits for me as well. I can't build muscle doing circuit workouts. I just don't have the genetics.

Although I do incorporate some endurance exercises into my routine, esp. w/legs.

Thanks for all the replies. I love reading everyone's responses. I don't really have a favorite but I like the idea of 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weights instead of doing one thing for the whole hour.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.