Favorite Smells

carres1973

Cathlete
Nan (spyrosmom) got me thinking in another thread (Big Kids) about how much I like the smell of crayons. What are some of your weird (or not so weird?) favorite smells? Here are some of mine:

Weird:
Gasoline
Bleach
Pine-sol (not REALLY weird)

Not Weird (at least not to me):
The aforementioned crayons
Freshly baking bread
Fresh laundry
"Clean Cotton" type candles

Carrie

This is fun, favorite smells: my dog when he has just been groomed, after a spring shower, my mother's apple pie.

Weird favorite smells: my dog even when he has not just been groomed, diesel exhaust from our boat (means we're on the boat and life is good).
~michelle

Ooh, I am a big smell person. I love smells and have a strong smell memory.

I love the smell of books. I love how books smell differently depending on where you got them (library, used bookstore, new bookstore, my mom's house, etc.).

Good smells:
my kids, all the time, especially the top of my baby's head
my husband--I feel my strongest attraction to him when I sniff him (should that be under weird smells?)
I also LOVE the smell of crayons, partly because they remind me of my childhood.

Weird smells:
garlic (but not garlic breath)
gasoline
Guinness beer
maybe I like things that start with g...

Im constantly cooking something so lots of my fav smells are associated with that!

Cilantro
lime zest(reminds me of MARGARITAS)
garlic
cucubmers
baking pumpkin bread
browning butter

I also love the smells of beach air, fresh rain and leather. I guess my only really weird one would be newly poured asphault.

omg i almost forgot coffee. how could i not mention that one!

jes

What a cool thread! Some of mine already have been mentioned.

Good smells:
My babies' heads... especially right after a bath.
New books/bookstores
garlic and onion sauteing in butter
the beach air and right-after-a-good rain air
apple cider simmering
oranges when you peel them
Chanel No. 5 (reminds me of when my mom and dad used to go out on dates and she'd dab some on her wrists before they left...)

Weird smells I love:
Newspaper (I used to be a journalist)
diapers (clean ones, right out of the box)
magic markers
Rave Hairspray (reminds me of my teen years :p)

vanilla

lilies of the valley

certain flavored coffees (though I don't drink coffee, nor like the taste of it). I found a certain almond-flavored coffee to have a positively orgasmic scent to it. :p

the scruff of the neck of one of my cats

Good smells

My hubby, my dog, hyacinths, lilacs, fresh crayons, gasoline, fresh mowed grass, the air when its going to rain, pine trees in the cold, garlic, onion, chocolate, bakery

Yucky smells

Baby powder, roses - they smell like old people, babies, White Linen perfume, smell big dump trucks

Nan

vanilla

lilies of the valley

certain flavored coffees (though I don't drink coffee, nor like the taste of it). I found a certain almond-flavored coffee to have a positively orgasmic scent to it. :p

the scruff of the neck of one of my cats

Kathryn - I forgot about coffee. I really like the smell of a freshly opened pack of coffee and freshly brewing coffee. I also don't drink coffee. Can't stand the taste. It tastes NOTHING like it smells!

Carrie

One that I forgot is new money. I like the smell of new money. Now would that be a weird one or normal??

Carrie

Oooo- I'm such an scent based person. I'm pretty sure I'm part labrador!!

Nice favs

My son's skin- just yummy!
Also my Bichon after he's been groomed- No 'perfume" is my rule
French lavender- the pure stuff, nothing mixed in with it
Candles, I actually have a small candle closet with each shelf sorted by Season, Winter/Spring, Sprin/Summer, Late Summer/Early Fall and HOLIDAYS!
Fresh snow
The smell of rain before, during and after
That "new car smell"
I'm also an adventurous cook, I love the smells of my curry's- Thai and Indian, fresh basil, fresh limes, fresh cilantro, fresh veggies in general

Let's see- weird smells- being highly olfactory, I am easily offended by certain odors

Fresh paint!! Just had my entire house painted and my oddball friends who are like me all said the same thing--- oooo, that fresh paint smell- it's clean :rolleyes:

Pool water- usually means it's finally warm outside and we're able to relax :D

The gym! Oooo, that smell or hard work and sweat! :eek:

Good department stores, ummm shopping, yes please! :D

How fun!! I'm having a blast reading all of our quirky and sweet scents! Great thread!:D

Ooh, I love the smell of fresh paint, too, though that's partly because it reminds me of a certain trip to Mexico. The room I stayed in had just been painting so now the smell of paint recalls that time to mind.

Also, the smell of spring rain, fresh mown grass, roses (those are all back to normal smells, of course).

Favorite smells:

Garlic
Freshly turned peanuts in the field (yes, I'm from southwest GA)
Bacon (although I find the taste disappointing and can do without it)
Coffee
Wet Puppies!
My kitty's head
A good scotch

Weird smells:

DH's feet
Mimeograph ink (anyone remember that?)

Mimeograph ink (anyone remember that?)

Oh yes I do. I used to sniff those handouts and tests in school.

Fresh rain, mowed grass, AND watermelon all at the same time.

A barnful of new alfalfa hay.

Weird:
A sweaty horse.
The damp nylon smell of a tent in the morning.

Just reading these posts is so interesting. You know, odd as it may be, these smells tell our lives' stories. I see mothers, gardeners, runners, pet lovers, caffeine junkies, foodies, writers, readers, the list goes on... Funny how our noses give us away. :)

Hi Stephanie,

How true!! It's such fun "reading" into the responses people are giving!! We certainly do have a wonderfully eclectic group here, don't we!! It's so much fun to share this with each other!

Happy Tuesday!
Pam

Great thread!!

Love: garlic/onions sauteeing; cilantro; rosemary; pine; sandalwood; my cat (he's dead now - his smell before he died, of course); baking bread; fresh rain/snow; fresh mown grass (I live in the city now, so never smell this anymore)

Weird: a blown out match; bleach; freshly sharpened pencils

I gree with many of the previous posts - especially the books!

Some to add...

A freshly cut christmas tree

A bonfire in October

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.