Exerciers with physical health challenges new check in

Thanks Dawn! :) Ooh, year end accounting sounds like a lot of pressure. It's not really work related stress for me, but just getting ready for the holidays, mostly family related stress & just many things that is going on with my life this past year. It is stressful that my job isn't permanent though I suppose! lol. I am beginning a new therapy group this month for anxiety & trauma, so this will be helping me ...I hope so anyway.

Any stress is no fun!! take care and I hope the therapy helps you!!! Be very mindful of your nutrition as well to help support your body during stressful times too!!

Hang in there :)

Elsie, I hope you get your new DVD's this week.
Today I did the boot camp circuit, blizzard blast (with modifications), muscle meltdown and core 1. This w/o was pretty easy for me since I kept it low impact. It really is tough modifying moves I know I can do, damn knees!

I am quite sure that my elbow pain is not golfer's elbow, but arthritis. The elbow pain is on both sides and is continually getting worse. I think I am going to stop lifting and only do yoga and walking. I love cathe's w/o's but they seem to be making my arthritis worse.
I don't think I will be checking in very often, it was really nice taking with all of you and sharing our love for fitness. I wish you all the best in this New Year.

Thanks Dawn. :)

Aww, Katie, so sorry to hear of your elbow troubles again and especially that it isn't improving. Do take gentle care. I just got my ICE today and went through almost everyting and did notice that it seems shoulder intense, even the cardio delves into a lot of upper back rotations and such. I will still have to modify on my own. Hope you won't be too much of a stranger. I enjoyed so much getting to know you a little. I mean that!! Plus, I post when I am walking and not lifting!! ;)

Today, yeah, got ICE. Already had done a yoga session which was great, so decided to try the Floor only exercises/workout of Chiseled Upper Body. I did like it and some of the moves were much like things I have done in pilates classes years ago (like the pullover extensions), so it wasn't all new to me. Very interesting however. I did have to put a small rolled up towel under my neck for support during the routine. I felt it in my chest, but overall I wouldn't quite consider just doing the floor workout as a full UB workout. I also did some of my usual rehab shoulder work afterwards.

The yoga from YT I completed today was excellent. I want to share it with you just cause her form cues are above average. For those with shoulder issues (Cendrine), rather than clasp the hands behind the back, use a stretchy strap or robe belt.

Well, I do not know for certain it it was the Yoga, the ICE Upper Body or maybe even the fact that I was on a break for nearly two weeks, but I really hurt my right anterior shoulder (pain up to my face) and my neck. Ouch. Been a rotten day, hope I get over it soon. The electric heating pad is helping. My workout for today has to be postponed.
How many more complaints can I have I wonder? lol.

Tonight, I did a short but very brisk walk (my warm-up) ;), ICE LI Sweat Premix All Step Cardio & an 11 minute kettlebell finisher.
I didn't use any weights mostly during Sweat All Step Cardio as I felt I didn't really need it (also my shoulder and neck is still not 100%) and like 85% of Cathe cardio, I could not keep up as it was! I haven't just done this dvd straight up without premixes, this my first go at it, although I have to say this premix was tough and the whole dvd does not look easy. There is definitely a little bit more a pause between exercises than some other programs but other than that it didn't feel all that intermediate to my body. Intermediate is relative. I was impressed by everyone's form in this dvd. Again, like Chiseled UB, the music was way too loud for me. I just ended up going for the no audio option as I need to hear Cathe cue for step. I am not a naturally graceful or skippy stepper.

I might be starting to hear an echoe in here..... where are y'all?? ;)

Elsie, I decided that even though I won't be doing as much I can still check in with you all. I really enjoy hearing what all of you are doing.
I went to yoga on tues and must have pulled either my lat muscle or pec. I have been having chest pain for the last 24 hours, fortunately I know that it is muscular and not cardiac, still a little scary.
I did do turbo barre yesterday, it actually felt pretty good. I kept the UB weights at 6 pounds and my elbow felt OK.
I have heard a lot of people with arthritis get relief from acupuncture, I am going to see if I can find a practitioner around here.

I thought sweat was pretty tough the first time I did it, I was definitely winded! The second time around is considerably easier!
Have a happy Thursday!!

Oh Katie, that IS scary! :oops: Take care.
Both myself and DH get acupuncture (I do less now) and it has been very effective. I went firstly for cycle/hormonal issues, although it ended up helping with many other things. Look for one who does moxibustion (most of them do) which is very good for pain and especially for arthritis. Have you tried copper wraps? I have not although my brother who has advanced arthritis in his knees (and mountain bikes all the time) uses it and has said that it ofen reduces the pain. Just a thought.

Tonight I am doing Leah Sarago's inward foldover download which focuses on hips and glutes. The strength in mine are quite uneven so I am working on that. I just have so much cleaning etc. to get done all this week, so I may have to keep my next workouts very brief. If I can get in another leg day with a bit of core I'll be happy with that! My place is a mess!!

Hope everyone is well and happy today!

I just practiced my form in alternating side lunges trying to go as heavy as possible (managed two sets, one of 15 and one of 11) before heading on a leisurely walk.
Tomorrow was going to be rest, but if I have time, I am aiming for an Upper body. See how I feel then.

Wow. I did the Leah Sarago w-o on Friday night & I still have slight DOMS. That little w-o sure packs a punch I guess! ;)
So, been having to do housework and been getting in some good walks - good speed ones! The rainy days are back again so I will probably be bringing my cardio inside this week. Still not really feeling like I have gotten much of a dent in the housework overall however.

Anyway, this morn did a short oblique focussed w-o from YT (someone directed me to her channel Tracy Campoli), plus MMelt Triceps & MMelt Chest. My first try with the MMelts. I think I will need heavier dumbbells for most of them than I presently have. I really do prefer splitting my UB this way. It is better for joint recovery for me as my UB is not the strongest. I usually don't like working my triceps, but this w-o went by fairly quickly for me. :)

I did a yoga class today, she did a slow class focusing on breath.
Hopefully tomorrow I can get some cleaning done.
I hope you have a great day.

That sounds nice. I like a slowed down class. It helps/preps with flow in other classes I find.
I also did some yoga at home tonight. Went back to where I started with the basics using a strap. I really have always loved yoga. :)
Depending on how sore I am tomorrow, I may continue with the MMelts! Have to see the Dr. on Thursday for my follow-up breast ultrasound. She is sending me for a hip Xray as well.

Elsie, I hope all goes well with your follow-up ultrasound, and hip Xray.
I really enjoy the yoga classes I have been taking, she really concentrates on alignment, when she realizes people are not in correct alignment she will work on those skills. I wish I could afford to go more often.
Today was cleaning my house, always a drag, lol.
I hope your day has been nice.

Thanks Katie. I'm hoping all goes well too. I can't stand house cleaning lately. Probably has more to do with me not liking this place and wanting to leave for such a long time. lol.

Today, I did the Time-S premix on ICE BC-No Upper Body. I liked it and still getting used to some new to me moves. Then I practiced my form on barbell rows concentrating on the Rear Delt (have to keep the back completely perpendicular to the floor). Chest has DOMS from the MMelt still.

Elsie, I decided that even though I won't be doing as much I can still check in with you all. I really enjoy hearing what all of you are doing.
I went to yoga on tues and must have pulled either my lat muscle or pec. I have been having chest pain for the last 24 hours, fortunately I know that it is muscular and not cardiac, still a little scary.
I did do turbo barre yesterday, it actually felt pretty good. I kept the UB weights at 6 pounds and my elbow felt OK.
I have heard a lot of people with arthritis get relief from acupuncture, I am going to see if I can find a practitioner around here.

I thought sweat was pretty tough the first time I did it, I was definitely winded! The second time around is considerably easier!
Have a happy Thursday!!

HI!! Hey, I use acupuncture faithfully every week for my neck and my knees, I have severe arthritis in my C3/C4 facet joint, along with a herniation... ohh and above my 3 level fusion.. yes, sounds horrible, but miraculously, with acupuncture and continued chiro care, some massage, I keep on trucking. I recommend acupuncture to EVERYONE.. I don't care what ails you.. it helps. I started it years ago for pain management, but found it useful for sleep, digestion, hormonal and immune stuff as well as Healing!! My boyfriend does it faithfully now too and has been able to lift more weight and his raquetball game has gotten better! Seriously, research them and find a good one near you. Mine also does a cupping technique which i love!! I hope things get better for you!! Also, fish oil is great for inflammation and take a good quality joint supp and stay on it!! It takes time for that stuff to help, but it can!

Hang in there!!!

Dawn, thank you for the acupuncture info., I will definitely need to look into doing this at some point.
Yesterday I did my yoga class, we worked on chest opening and awareness. It is amazing how opening your chest can help in so many postures.
Yesterday I went for a 2 hour massage, my boys got me this for Xmas. He feels my elbow issues are from muscular tightness more than arthritis. He showed me a few simple exercises to do to keep the muscles flexible. I wish I could afford to do this more often.
Today I am going to an anti gravity class.
Tomorrow I am taking an all day CPR class.
Have a great weekend.

He feels my elbow issues are from muscular tightness more than arthritis.
That's good. :) Tightness doesn't need meds.
Hope you all are having a nice weekend so far. Windy and getting very rainy here. I took a couple of rest days for errands and such.
Got KellyC.M's Body Training in the mail yesterday from her NY specials (10 bucks, whooo!), so today the plan is Workout 2 + ICE To The Mat Ball segment. So, today is all floor and low/no impact for me. :)

Sunday my planned hike did not really go as planned due to weather, so got in a brisk walk instead closer to home.
Today, no workout as I was at the Vet hospital all morn with the cat & had tons to do again when I got home. So tired. Ended up buying some dumbbells on Amazon this evening as I have been looking just for ages for used ones around and couldn't find any heavier ones. They are relatively cheap now anyway and I did buy the cheaper ones. Set of 35 lbs and of 7 lbs. I am needing the 7 lb ones more for shoulder work it seems. My 4's and 5's are often too light and then they go up to 10's which is too heavy for me.

My workout for tomorrow is up in the air at this point. If I'm up to it, I will give STS HiiT 30-30 a shot & take it from there with weighted work. :)

G'night!!

I didn't go to my yoga class yesterday due to the frigid temps, so I decided to do ICE sweat. I kept the weights at 3 pounds so that my elbows wouldn't act up on me. I have to say I really like this w/o, my HR was in the 160-170 zone quite a lot. I was not going to do cathe's w/o anymore but after doing everyday for 12 years it is hard to stop! I am doing things around the house today, tomorrow will be yoga, I hope!
We are potentially going to get a lot of snow this weekend, I am not happy! I really hate the cold, I would love to be a snow bird. Living in the south for the winter and here in Pa for the remainder of the year would be perfect.

I find I didn't really need to go that heavy with ICE Sweat either. It's not needed. It does not get particularly cold here on Canada's west coast
(32 F), but boy I would not turn down a week in Paraguay right now! lol. So pleasant there in February. lol.

Yesterday I did STS HiiT 30-30 and just practiced my dumbbell form with pointers from youtube. I hardly slept at all last night, so today I am having a lot pains so did some wall yoga. Probably won't be all that active for the rest of the day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.