Ever get locked out of your house?

jlsahli

Cathlete
If so, what did you do?

We don't keep a key outside because we don't live in the greatest neighborhood and I'm also very paranoid. I also don't really have anyone to do a key exchange with - my neighbors are ok but again I'm paranoid and the closest family member is over an hour away and they don't really like to be bothered. My hubby only leaves one weekend a year which was this weekend and this was the weekend that I locked myself out of the house. I feel like such an IDIOT!!!! I called information and they gave me the number for a 24 hour locksmith. What a jerk this guy was, he couldn't pick our lock so he used a credit card and a screw driver. Now I need to buy a new door on top of shelling out $111 to get him to break into my house. I have NEVER locked myself out of my house or my car, EVER. I just can't believe how stupid I was and how much this stupid mistake is going to cost.

I rent an apartment that's part of a larger home. I've forgotten my keys before but my landlord was always home by the time I came back from work. From then on, I put up two index cards (one by the security key pad and one right smack on my front door) that say DO NOT FORGET KEYS. I am especially paranoid when they go on vacation and I check my bag 3 times before I lock the front door.

In our last house, we had a lock that had a keypad. We just typed in the number we programmed into it, and the door unlocked. I loved it. I never carried keys. I think when we bought it, it was a little over $100. Well worth it...

YES!!! Twice, actually. Once when I lived in an apartment I was in my pajamas and went out to take the trash and the door slammed behind me and there I am in my pajamas in the parking lot. I ended up trying to break in, someone called the cops and the cops helped me break in. :eek: I showed ID once I got in and I don't think they doubted me since I'm standing there in my pjs. I still cringe about that and it's been years.

The second time was in my current house. My DH was paranoid about locking the door between the garage and the house and I was out in the garage and shut the door to the house behind me. It was the 4th of July weekend so I had to knock on 6 doors before I found someone who was home so I could call my husband to come home from work and let me in. Now we keep a key hidden in the garage. This time I wasn't in my pjs, just sweaty workout clothes.

So DON'T FEEL BAD! You're not the only one who has done something like this! I was lucky it didn't cost me anything except an annoyed husband and a lot of embarrassment.

Last edited:
Oh, boy, yes! The first time was frightening because we had just moved here and DH had gone to VA for intelligence training (as in military intelligence) and I was here alone! Luckily, we had a fan in the upstairs hall window in the back and I was able to get the ladder up and climb in!

I did it again on Thanksgiving and had to run around the neighborhood to find someone home who would let me use their phone and phonebook (I think this was the same first year we lived here) so i could call my DH at work to come and unlock the door for me! I had my turkey in the oven and had stepped outside to shake my towels out and pulled the door to. We have those locks that the knob turns inside locked or unlocked.

At least (knock on wood) I haven't had to call a locksmith! Not yet anyway!

I have never done that but I once locked myself out of my car while it was running, at the scene of an accident caused by me because I was putting on lipstick in the rear-view mirror and not watching the road. The cops thought I was all kinds of dingy.

Cataddict, I loved the PJ story!! Too funny :D

Also, the number pad is a great idea! I think my hubby is convinced.

Sparrow your story was great, I'm still giggling. Thanks!

Thanks for all your stories they really are making me feel a lot better. I still can't believe I did that and how expensive it was :mad:

Yes, I had something in my hand that was about the same size as my key chain (can't remember what) but of course the second I pulled the door shut behind me I realized I had locked myself out. I had my cell but DH was on his way back from northern AZ. I was able to get into the back yard and wait for him on the patio. At one point I had to go so bad I peed in the back yard:eek: But the very worst was when we moved into our first house. DH had gone to pick up another truck load of stuff. I was moving things into and outdoor shed when a gust of wind blew the door shut. It was completely dark and there was no door handle on the inside. It was only May but this is AZ and we were already in the high 90's. This was years before I had ever even heard of kickboxing but I tell that door was no match for my two well place kicks!

Once when I lived in an apartment I was in my pajamas and went out to take the trash and the door slammed behind me and there I am in my pajamas in the parking lot. I ended up trying to break in, someone called the cops and the cops helped me break in. :eek: I showed ID once I got in and I don't think they doubted me since I'm standing there in my pjs. I still cringe about that and it's been years.
LOL!
That reminds me of when I was a grad student, in an apartment. I went out on the landing to get something, wearing a rather skimpy, thin bath robe with no tie or buttons, and the door closed behind me! Luckily, the neighbors across the way had a key (which I didn't know, because it was one of my roommates, who'd lived there before I did, who had given it to them).

When I was a kid, my stepmother and I locked ourselves out of the house several times (I should say she did it, because I was just a kid and didn't have my own set of keys). We ended up removing a window over the sink and crawling in (luckily for us, my parents were house painters, and we had ladders up against the house---and luckily again, no one else ever thought about using those ladders for a nefarious purpose).

One day, when my stepmother had again forgotten her keys, we came home to a not on the door with our name saying "the key is in the mailbox." We gave dad a hard time about that, tellling him anyone could have used the key, and he calmly replied that the note was addressed to us! (Last time I visited my stepmother, she doesn't seem to lock the doors at all any more, something I'd never trust).

I have never done that but I once locked myself out of my car while it was running, at the scene of an accident caused by me because I was putting on lipstick in the rear-view mirror and not watching the road. The cops thought I was all kinds of dingy.

LOL!
Look on the bright side: with that in your repertoire, there's not much chance of you doing anything worse than that!

LOL! No..but I've done something...WAY MORE stupid...I actually LOCKED MYSELF OUT OF MY....RUNNING CAR!...:eek: I felt like such an idiot...care running and all and I was locked out. LMAO:rolleyes:

LOL! No..but I've done something...WAY MORE stupid...I actually LOCKED MYSELF OUT OF MY....RUNNING CAR!...:eek: I felt like such an idiot...care running and all and I was locked out. LMAO:rolleyes:

been there done that thankfully it was only down the road from my house(went to drop something in the mailbox) and mom lives down the road. she ran to the house got the extra car key and brought it over. i am not sure what possessed me to LOCK the door with the car running just to run a few steps away to the mailbox. it wasn't my better moment

or the day i hit the wrong button on my alarm system's keychain. instead of hitting disarmed i hit panic and i couldn't shut the thing off until the company called LOL. just a tad embarrassing.

kassia

15 years ago we were moving into a new house, and we went out onto the back deck to show our friends the view of the backyard. We had propped up the piece of wood that was used to lock the sliding glass door. When we got outside, we closed the sliding door behind us, and the piece of wood fell down into the door groove, locking us all out on the deck. (The house sloped away steeply in the back, so we were way high up, no stairs to the ground.) We all stood there for a moment, shocked.

We considered standing there and yelling, hoping that neighbors would come out and rescue us. Eventually one person volunteered to climb up and walk across the roof to the front of the house, then came back into the house through the side door, which we'd left wide open.

But boy did we feel dumb!

BWAH HA HA!! Loving these stories! :D Years ago my sister and I locked ourselves out on the balcony of my 3rd floor apartment while we were drinking wine and talking! First we were freaked out and scared then we just got hysterical laughing, like "OMG the cops are going to think we're drunk" (well ok a little buzzed ;) )

We were finally able to jimmy the sliding glass door open. We nearly fainted from laughing so hard!!!

I have locked my keys in the car while it's running too. I was with DH and it was one of the extremely rare times I was doing the driving. If we're going somewhere together he almost always drives. We were going out for breakfast and when I told him I'd locked the keys in the car he wanted to deal with it after we'd eaten. That's when I said we'd better deal with it right away 'cause the car was running. I'll never forget the look he gave me. Luckily the restaurant, The Original Pancake House, was right next to a hotel and they had a coat hanger (this was an old car) and we got it open with that. I could write a book about all the stupid things like this I've done.

Been there too. But it actually wasn't my fault or my DH's. We had been out grocery shopping and when we came back, someone had locked the top lock of the townhouse we were renting. We only had a key for the bottom lock, so we were screwed. We ended up having to walk all the way around behind the long row of townhomes and then DH had to stand on my shoulders just to get to the bottom of our deck (VERY HIGH deck with no stairs). He was able to somehow grab the bottom of the railing and swing his legs up like a monkey and climb onto the deck. DH was known for leaving the deck window unlocked and thankfully that was the case that night. He was able to get the screen out, open the window and let me in the bottom sliding glass door. When I came upstairs, I saw "brown" shoe prints everywhere and realized that somewhere along the line, DH had stepped in one of the neighbor's dog messes. We found out later that my sister's husband (who we were renting the townhouse from) had come over to check on some electrical stuff while we were gone and had locked that top lock without thinking. What a pain in the butt!!!

The door of the house we live in now is almost impossible to lock yourself out of because when you leave, you have to use your key to lock the door from the outside. So, unless you lose your keys before coming back in, it's not possible to lock yourself out.

Last edited:
Oh brother!

Have I ever locked myself out!

I have a problem with storm doors and have locked them behind me a couple of times. I've had to pry the window out of the door to let myself back in. I've had my regular door shut behind me locking me out in a snowstorm when I went out to shovel. I had to wait till my neighbors who had a key woke up but in the meantime one of my cats wanted in and was complaining to me the whole time! Probably letting me know what a ding dong I was!

The only time I had to call a locksmith was when at one place where I lived some psycho who was angry that his cat was eating the leftover cat food I put out for the strays in the area decided to punish me by putting crazy glue in my lock. Called the locksmith and the cops for that one.

I too locked myself out of my car while it was running long ago when I was a fairly new driver. Fortunately I was hanging out with people who knew how to unlock a car with a wire hanger!

It's been about 2 years since my last lockout, I hope that's because I'm always extra careful to have my keys whenever I leave. I kept the storm door that I pried apart as is so that it can't close hard enough to lock.

These are hilarious :p Our cat has locked us out of the house. DH, DDs and I were playing in the front yard and our cat was on top of the back of the couch nearest the front door and pushed the latch on the front door locking us out :eek: Fortunately DH had his cell and his family nearby has a key to our house. We have since changed the locks :p

Yep! I had to hop our 6 foot fence...and crawl through the doggie door! My poor dogs were so freaked out! :)

Just for a gag one night...I asked DH to go outside about 10 pm (pitch dark) and turn off the water in the front yard. He complied (what a sweetie) and did so in his undies. I hurried and locked the door with a giggle. Do you know that he hopped that same fence and crawled in the dog door before I was able to realize where he was! :) So what did I do? I ran, of course! :)

Yep! I had to hop our 6 foot fence...and crawl through the doggie door! My poor dogs were so freaked out! :)

Just for a gag one night...I asked DH to go outside about 10 pm (pitch dark) and turn off the water in the front yard. He complied (what a sweetie) and did so in his undies. I hurried and locked the door with a giggle. Do you know that he hopped that same fence and crawled in the dog door before I was able to realize where he was! :) So what did I do? I ran, of course! :)

That's hilarious. I would've run too.:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.