EB and unwanted advertising - vent

FWIW, I do believe Cathe eats EB (BTW I think of Electronics Boutique every time I see it too--my sis was their import manager for like 10 years & I can't get it out of my head), & they do sell free range eggs as well as traditional eggs.

I find the many mentions of a Nike sponsorship being more appropriate rather interesting. I adore Nike's clothes & sneakers, but the fact that they're made by 7 YO slaves in China has had me conflicted for years. Many forum members are vegans or vegetarians & animal rights are their cause--for me what I guess you'd call "social justice" is my main cause. I haven't stopped buying Nike, but I haven't stopped feeling guilty about it either. :(

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is, what is significant to one might be meaningless to another, & judging is perhaps a little unfair. I'm an egg lover, I'm a Cathe fan, I'm happy for her & her success.

I just want to end my post by thanking Cathe for kicking my a$$ on a regular basis, by asking her to keep up the outstanding work, & to say I'll keep buying her workouts until she starts sponsoring nuclear weapons in North Korea. :)

Oh I agree. The cadaver angle is repugnant on every level. On a related note, one time when I was doing some research on this topic I read that cadavers are also put into cheap pet food. The report said that pet food manufacturers buy the dog/cat corpses from less reputable shelters. Don't know if it's true or not. Yuck, though.

As the Mad Cow disease first appeared in Great Britain I did research about what is fed to the cows we are eating/getting the milk from. Turns out they feed these plant eaters cadavers and some scientific evidence exists that this is the cause of the Mad Cow disease. They were fed diseased sheep.

I figured they would put that stuff in pet food. Isn't that funny? The pet food manufacturers want us to believe that their food is healthier than table scraps but they put cat/dogs in the food who have been even drugged or gased to death. I bet they buy the diseased corpses of farm animals, too.

I would also be very careful with cheap non-plant food protein powder because I do not think that hoofs, cartilage are very well absorbed as a protein source. With egg protein, however, almost 100 % of the protein is absorbed by the body.

Yeah, but Eggland's vegetarian diet is a lot better than the ground up cadavers the cheaper "egg producers" get fed. I have no problems eating the whole egg with Egglands, however with the cheap eggs I would only eat the egg whites. I have been using Egglands since I came aware of them several years ago. I use these eggs as my main protein source, which is healthier than buying a powder with unpronounceable ingredients.

I don't know that I would subsribe to that. It is a little known fact that an arsenic based additive called roxarsone is mixed into chicken feed, to control the intestinal parasites of chickens. In overcrowded cages diseases are spreading rampant and need to be controled, so Roxarsone is added, yes, even to the vegetarian feed. Of course, the chicken industry says that it is harmless. Ummh, yeah, heard that one before. I don't think triple the omega3 fatty acids is cancelling the arsenic out. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070409115746.htm

The lawsuits against CalMaine Foods which markets their eggs under two brandnames Eggland's Best and Farmhouse are because of the chicken litter containing arsenic poisoning the towns that people live in. Personally I'd be less concerned about the chicken litter but what ends up in the egg or the meat.

Franken-Eggs???? Sparrow, that is too funny!! But unfortunately I agree. I am always leary of products that are manipulated to booste this, that or the other for "health benefits".

And I don't even want to get started on the petfood issue because I could go on and on about that and I have a load of work to do today.

I only buy yard eggs for humanitarian reasons. I suppose if everyone did that they would become very expensive as you can't have a giant farm factory with free ranging chickens, but I would prefer to pay more and not have chickens treated so badly.

I let them age at least a couple of weeks before boiling them, otherwise they are hard to peel.

I also only eat meat that is killed in the wild or that I at least know was free range.

I would never have thought about whether a fitness instructor shares my philosophy if this hadn't come up.

My DH eats any kind of meat or eggs and I still love him. I doubt if this will affect whether I buy Cathe's workouts in the future.

I don't know that I would subsribe to that. It is a little known fact that an arsenic based additive called roxarsone is mixed into chicken feed, to control the intestinal parasites of chickens. In overcrowded cages diseases are spreading rampant and need to be controled, so Roxarsone is added, yes, even to the vegetarian feed. Of course, the chicken industry says that it is harmless. Ummh, yeah, heard that one before. I don't think triple the omega3 fatty acids is cancelling the arsenic out. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070409115746.htm

The lawsuits against CalMaine Foods which markets their eggs under two brandnames Eggland's Best and Farmhouse are because of the chicken litter containing arsenic poisoning the towns that people live in. Personally I'd be less concerned about the chicken litter but what ends up in the egg or the meat.

Franken-Eggs???? Sparrow, that is too funny!! But unfortunately I agree. I am always leary of products that are manipulated to booste this, that or the other for "health benefits".

And I don't even want to get started on the petfood issue because I could go on and on about that and I have a load of work to do today.

This was very informative. I found another link that the roxarsone is banned in Europe. http://www.worldpoultry.net/news/ro...d-causes-risks-to-human-in-runoff-id1164.html

See, I am from over there and I just assume, what goes there goes here, too. But I keep forgetting that the free market, as executed in the U.S., means making a profit disregarding the costs.

Europe does not allow a lot of things the U.S. allows. Genetically engeneered fruit and vegetables for example (although they are starting to loosen the laws). But is the U.S. population unhealthier because of that? Yes and no. The U.S. population is, on average, unhealthier because of being overweight/obese partly because genetically engineered food is cheaper and plenty (plants needing less water, space, fruits that are bigger, animals that grow more muscles, etc.) The U.S. farmer is putting a lot in their soil to produce tremendous havests that is not considered safe in other parts of the world either.

I tried to find in regular stores seeds that were not genetically altered and there is not a huge selection out there.

See, I am from over there and I just assume, what goes there goes here, too. But I keep forgetting that the free market, as executed in the U.S., means making a profit disregarding the costs.

Europe does not allow a lot of things the U.S. allows. Genetically engeneered fruit and vegetables for example (although they are starting to loosen the laws). But is the U.S. population unhealthier because of that? Yes and no. The U.S. population is, on average, unhealthier because of being overweight/obese partly because genetically engineered food is cheaper and plenty (plants needing less water, space, fruits that are bigger, animals that grow more muscles, etc.) The U.S. farmer is putting a lot in their soil to produce tremendous havests that is not considered safe in other parts of the world either.

I tried to find in regular stores seeds that were not genetically altered and there is not a huge selection out there.

I know, I am from Europe, too. There are a lot of things that I learned over the last few months that I had no idea. I was just assuming it was the same as in Europe. Not that everything is perfect over there either but not having to disclose food additives, bio-engineered food, etc. are things that really bother me here. It's quite shocking to find out those things. Yikes!

Where in Europe are you from?

Last edited:
I know, I am from Europe, too. There are a lot of things that I learned over the last few months that I had no idea. I was just assuming it was the same as in Europe. Not that everything is perfect over there either but not having to disclose food additives, bio-engineered food, etc. are things that really bother me here. It's quite shocking to find out those things. Yikes!

Where in Europe are you from?

Germany. And you?

That's what I thought. I had always wondered if you were because of your screenname :D

I am from Germany! Munich to be exact but I am half Swedish and spent several years in Stockholm when I grew up.

Kleine Welt! Fuer die ersten 16 Jahre lebte ich an der Nordseekueste, dann sind wir nach Gelnhausen, nahe Frankfurt, umgezogen. Dort habe ich meinen Mann (Angehoeriger der U.S. Armee) getroffen. Nach vielen Jahren sind wir jetzt in den U.S.A. Fuer drei Jahre wohnten wir in Bad Kissingen und dort hatte ich einen Chef gehabt, der in Gruenwald gewohnt hat.

Als Deutsche kennst Du ja wahrscheinlich, dass die Amerikaner einen guten Ruf haben. Aber ich muss sagen, je laenger ich hier wohne, desto mehr verliere ich die Illusionen. Nicht nur mit der Tierhaltung, Tierheimen, aber auch wie die Angestellten hier behandelt werden, Krankenversicherung etc.

Well said

I'm just curious? Are you equally concerned about basketball players endorsing non basketball products, like Michael Jordan? or a golfer endorsing a non golfing product, like Tiger Woods does...or other fitness video companies selling supplements? Why just Cathe?

The fact is most people you see in a TV commercial or ad are not experts about the product they represent. Cathe has never claimed to be an expert in nutrition, but she is an expert in fitness and eating right is an important part of any fitness program. This is why EB asked Cathe to be a spokesperson for their egg products.

Cathe has eaten EB eggs for a very long time and loves and believes in the product. She knows the importance of eating healthy and she prefers to get her nutrients from natural products whenever possible. Eggs are a natural source of protein with one egg providing 10% of your daily protein requirement.

Cathe and our company are not trying to force EB products on you. We hope people that are not familiar with EB products will try them, but our plans are not to overdue things as we know it would come off wrong. The reason EB selected Cathe is they wanted a real fitness person, not an actor to make the connection that eating right is an important part of being fit. Who better than Cathe would you suggest?

Our relationship with EB will make many things possible that would have never have happened without them, like our National Tour. The national EB advertising campaign with Cathe will help to make more people know about her and her DVDs and this is a good thing.

You should be happy for Cathe as the EB relationship shows just how far she has come in 20 years in business.

My goodness folks.. Everyone has sponsors..
If it was not eggs then chicken then someone that doesn't eat chicken would complain.
I am just happy to have the best workouts and best quality out there in Cathe dvd's..I own alot and none compare in quality..

You all rave in P90x and all tony does is try to sell crap and annoying as far as i am concerned.
If you want to hack on Cathe or SMN as far as i am concerned do it else where..
Not on her site which is free BTW..
It is just rude.

I'm ecstatic for Cathe and all her success. As long as she keeps challenging me every day, I ask nothing more. If her partnership through Egglands allows her the chance to do for someone what she's done for my fitness life, that's outstanding!!

Kleine Welt! Fuer die ersten 16 Jahre lebte ich an der Nordseekueste, dann sind wir nach Gelnhausen, nahe Frankfurt, umgezogen. Dort habe ich meinen Mann (Angehoeriger der U.S. Armee) getroffen. Nach vielen Jahren sind wir jetzt in den U.S.A. Fuer drei Jahre wohnten wir in Bad Kissingen und dort hatte ich einen Chef gehabt, der in Gruenwald gewohnt hat.

Als Deutsche kennst Du ja wahrscheinlich, dass die Amerikaner einen guten Ruf haben. Aber ich muss sagen, je laenger ich hier wohne, desto mehr verliere ich die Illusionen. Nicht nur mit der Tierhaltung, Tierheimen, aber auch wie die Angestellten hier behandelt werden, Krankenversicherung etc.

OK,OK wait a minute! English please, kids, so the rest of us can see too!;)

I see something about Bad Kissing and Illusions of Krankenkramer and dorky Chef's hats?

I agree that Cathe should be able to endorse whomever she wants to endorse. If you don't like EB, don't eat them. I am glad for the respectful posters (like Ms. Carola, whom I adore) who have educated me a little bit about the cruelty sometimes involved in the production process, which I had no idea about.

I guess my big question is... will those of you who are so adamantly opposed to EB still be so dedicated to your cause if Cathe and EB decide to visit your hometown, or will you kick your cause to the curb and go workout with her? I'm hoping you'll put your money where your mouth is... ;)

I have no problem with her endorsement. Call me an anti-chickenite if you may, but I'll be the first one to sign up for her class if she comes my way!! :p

I was going to stay out of this, but I just can't. Anne, I don't believe that responding rudely to others that you perceive are rude is appropriate or constructive. This is "open discussion" and free or not it has been offered to folks to "openly discuss" items of interest. Cathe's business partnership is certainly of interest to many and as long as the discussion remains civil and respectful there's no worries IMHO.

I don't appreciate the "you all rave in (sic) P90X" comment as if each poster here has expressed that opinion or for that matter has done P90X or cares about Tony Horton. There are a variety of posters here and a variety of topics, and that makes it both challenging and interesting, IMO. If you don't want to read a topic, don't post on it, but please don't dictate to others what they are allowed to discuss using your own guidelines. You don't own this board as far as I know.

Just my opinion. On the EB topic, I eat eggs from a friend who has chickens and they are very pampered and eventually sent to a free range "retirement home" when their laying days are done with a guarantee that they won't be eaten. We should all be so lucky! So I'm not interested in the EB product, but if Cathe wants to endorse it I don't really care, just don't inundate me with advertising.

What spam??

I don't like being spammed about EB. Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods don't do that to me. If I'm getting an email from SNM, I want it to be about fitness products. I resent that I got an email about eggs, but no updates about STS cardio when you've had my preorder money for several months now.

Erica

What spam? I got one email explaining her connection with EB and that was it. End of story. I am sure Cathe isnt going to be "pushing" eggs on us!

She's exploring her business opportunities, and not for the money, but for how to apply it TO her business. I have never felt GOUGED by the price of her product, and extremely pleased at the VALUE I receive and the QUALITY AND TIME she puts into every product.

And, I'm not trying to "send flames", but we all know how the pre-order works and how long the dvd's take to come out...and we agree to this. SNM always says, if you don't want to wait then don't pre-order.

I think this EB debate should come to an end personally. We KNOW it isn't going to change the product she produces. The EB connection will help Cathe bring her business around the country (which is a huge freaking commitment that will come with plenty of headaches and sacrifice).

As to why it "bothers you/us", we have always known Cathe doesn't talk about the food-side of the equation so that's why we are inquisitive. The first thought is "it's about the money". Well, knowing how smart Cathe is and from what I can tell, a very personable person, she is doing it for the good of her company/clientele.

Let's give her a little more credit than that and let's give her our support.

I look forward to meeting the "real" Cathe at the Road Trip next month.

It wasn't Cathe's endorsement that got to me it was the long email touting the superiority of the product. I thought well that message came straight from the company. And it was long! I had bought something from Beachbody many years ago and after a few of those advertisements I received I had my name removed from their mailing list. I didn't want to hear anything from BB either unless it had to do with workouts. I feel the same way here. Yes I love to hear about any of Cathe's new products, road trips but not advertisements for something that has no real connection to fitness or that Cathe has no real control over. It certainly will not effect whether or not I purchase Cathe fitness products. I will not, however, be purchasing EB eggs but will stick with local eggs from happy free range chickens at my friends' house.

Cathe vs. P90X

I hear ya' - even Tony is always touting a "recovery drink" throughout the workout and if you're not sure which recovery drink to buy...stay tuned at the end of the workout!

But, I said it once and I'll say it again: I don't care if Cathe endorses Fruit of the Loom as long as someone sends her to Vegas so she can kick my as$ in real life.

I guess my big question is... will those of you who are so adamantly opposed to EB still be so dedicated to your cause if Cathe and EB decide to visit your hometown, or will you kick your cause to the curb and go workout with her? I'm hoping you'll put your money where your mouth is... ;)
I have no problem with her endorsement. Call me an anti-chickenite if you may, but I'll be the first one to sign up for her class if she comes my way!! :p

Here's one "Aye" on putting my money where my big vegan mouth is. :p I cancelled my preorder for shock cardio (it was harder than saying "no" to non-vegan cake. Which is HARD) and I'm not going to any tour events.

I'm not happy about it. I really really love Cathe's workouts. A lot. But I'm not throwing the chickens under the tour bus. It's my choice, and no, I don't expect my teensy little boycott will change Cathe's mind about her partnership.

On a separate note, I don't really like Beachbody's constant self-promotion, and I am not a particularly big fan of any of their workouts. I don't think it really has anything to do with the Cathe/EB thing, though.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.