Don't Know If I Can Stop Myself. I Want A Big Bag Of Chips, Pretzels, Candy and Soda

Marlene815

I will feel just awful if I do this but I just want to drive down to the 7-11 and have a junk food binge. Buy bags of goodies and have at it.... I've been unemployed for more than a year and I'm having one of those "It's hopeless - what's the use" moments where it feels like I'm never going to get out of this rut and get my life back. Yes, I know food is not the answer and binging won't solve a thing- it's hard to stay motivated when the stress and pressure is on. I just want to feel better even if for just a few minutes and an ice cold Pepsi and salty chips are calling me.

I think you should do it. Get a can of diet soda and one of those small bags of chips. You won't be eating a whole huge bag of chips, and you won't feel as bad afterwards. It's okay to stray from you diet every once in a while. (Just don't do it all the time!!)

I agree with Nicole. Get the small soda AND the small bag of chips and then when you are done you are done. I have taken to buying the small single servings of ice cream once a week instead of a pint or whatever. Satisfies the desire with no guilt. Enjoy and relax. My friend just got a job after being out of work for 2 years and reaching desperation. So wishing you the best.

google inside out weight loss. this is a free podcast. she has a very calming voice. she talks about people that are just like you and me. and how they learned how to eat even junk food responsibly. some people learn her methods and dont even want chips anymore.
even if you dont listen to the podcast, do something you enjoy, write it down, what are you afraid of? what's bothering you? is there anyone you can call? we have to learn to love ourselves and it doesnt have to be all or nothing. we can eat anything we want, just balance the junk with healthy food most of the time. more activity after a heavy meal.
we are here for you. you are not alone!

Go for a run. Grab your ipod and click to the fun, upbeat, LOUD stuff and take off. Pretend you are running far far from your troubles. I did this last night after my kids drove me CRAAAAAZY all afternoon. And I wound up feeling so much better afterward. (Of course, I did indulge in some gummy bears too. :eek:)

burger king

I've been craving a double whopper with cheese, heavy mayo...I won't do it, because I really, truly don't want just one; so it's not worth it.

google inside out weight loss. this is a free podcast. she has a very calming voice. she talks about people that are just like you and me. and how they learned how to eat even junk food responsibly. some people learn her methods and dont even want chips anymore.
even if you dont listen to the podcast, do something you enjoy, write it down, what are you afraid of? what's bothering you? is there anyone you can call? we have to learn to love ourselves and it doesnt have to be all or nothing. we can eat anything we want, just balance the junk with healthy food most of the time. more activity after a heavy meal.
we are here for you. you are not alone!

Thank you for turning me on to this site. I love it!

Take it day by day, I find if I say to myself that I'll eat healthy today, it makes it easier than saying I'll eat healthy forever. Also do activities that you really enjoy, it will distract you from eating junk food.

Last edited:
Marlene815 said:
I will feel just awful if I do this but I just want to drive down to the 7-11 and have a junk food binge. Buy bags of goodies and have at it.... I've been unemployed for more than a year and I'm having one of those "It's hopeless - what's the use" moments where it feels like I'm never going to get out of this rut and get my life back. Yes, I know food is not the answer and binging won't solve a thing- it's hard to stay motivated when the stress and pressure is on. I just want to feel better even if for just a few minutes and an ice cold Pepsi and salty chips are calling me.

Don't do anything you'll regret as soon as you finish!
Notice how as you swallow that last bite of offensive food that you groggily come back to your senses and think, what did I just DO??!
Please remind me of this very powerful truth when I call out to you all!

Don't binge. Period. It's not worth it. Like some of the other ladies have said, if you want some chips and a soda, get a small bag and a soda. Enjoy them and move on. Do you really need regular chips or will baked ones do? I buy the baked bbq UTZ and seriously, to me the difference is so small I don't ever eat regular chips anymore.

i'm happy to help. i just recently found it too. its not a fix, but it does help to think about the journey in a different way. we live our lives in shades of gray, not i ate healthy food 24/7 and not junk 24/7.
we dont expect to never over eat again. we can try to have it be less frequent, less intense. self correcting sooner and improving a little bit each day. we are learning to walk. just like babies. and you are not alone. most women and some men struggle with food, weight. but we can learn from our mistakes. the bigger the mistake, the more there is to learn. 1 day at a time. 1 hour. 1 min. we can do it!

regarding posts about how much we will feel guilty or oh no i've done it now!
this is really the wrong attitude to have. feeling guilty makes us feel bad, we want to feel better and we eat junk again. it just reinforces the cycle.
instead realize food is fuel. the best fuel is healthy like beans or salad. gives you lots of energy. 'junk' food is just cal. like any other food. as long as you exercise off those cal. or budget it in, you can still lose weight.
my problem with most of these foods is the lack of fiber. if theres no fiber i won't be satisfied. so eating high fiber, low cal. foods work better so i can still eat a large amount. that doesnt mean i shouldnt ever have white bread or chips. its just not as satisfying. for me. i'm weird...but after your body gets used to eating healthier foods they taste better than reg. wheat bread for ex.
but even if i only ate healthy 'clean' food, i would still over eat. i'll over eat carrots. anything. its not about the food. its what i am going through mentally.

salty fix

I found that popcorn is a good remedy for a salty craving. I can't keep potato chips in the house because I can't limit myself with them, but Smart Pop is good because it's a lot lower in calories & you can eat the whole bag without a large calorie hit.

you can also make pop your own fat free or low fat popcorn. adding different seasonings for flavor.
popcorn by itself has very few cal., no fat, and fiber. as long as theres no butter or other fat on it its fat free.

I've been unemployed for more than a year and I'm having one of those "It's hopeless - what's the use" moments where it feels like I'm never going to get out of this rut and get my life back.

Marlene, I wish I could hug you and I understand how you feel, because I have just come out of this situation (14 months unemployment too). I can't tell you how many times I uttered the exact same words above. My binges would come late at night when I doubted the most, but I would take the advice of what others have posted here...even though sometimes you just want to let go and anesthetize yourself food. Don't give up hope...when that thought comes up in your head, say something to interrupt it, so you can't finish the sentence. I completely get where you are and what you may be going through. You need one person to say yes to you, and you will have that job. Two things got me through the nightmare, a very good friend and very intense training. My deepest wishes for good luck and future success.

I've been craving a double whopper with cheese, heavy mayo...I won't do it, because I really, truly don't want just one; so it's not worth it.

OMG. I haven't had a Whopper in years. I can understand you wanting to abstain. They are heavy in calories and fat. Would a Jr. Whopper be an alternative?

Marlene, I wish I could hug you and I understand how you feel, because I have just come out of this situation (14 months unemployment too). I can't tell you how many times I uttered the exact same words above. My binges would come late at night when I doubted the most, but I would take the advice of what others have posted here...even though sometimes you just want to let go and anesthetize yourself food. Don't give up hope...when that thought comes up in your head, say something to interrupt it, so you can't finish the sentence. I completely get where you are and what you may be going through. You need one person to say yes to you, and you will have that job. Two things got me through the nightmare, a very good friend and very intense training. My deepest wishes for good luck and future success.

Thank you DirtDiva. It means so much that you understand how this feels. No one in my family does and it is unnerving. It is neverending terror. And like you, late at night is the danger zone for me too - when I want to eat junk. I do have one good friend who is supportive and I am grateful for that and for your caring compassion....Hugs and congratulations on your new job!

you can also make pop your own fat free or low fat popcorn. adding different seasonings for flavor.
popcorn by itself has very few cal., no fat, and fiber. as long as theres no butter or other fat on it its fat free.

I love popcorn and I used to air pop it. Problem is I would eat the entire big bowl and that is a lot of carbs. I have not yet learned how to behave responsibly with snacks but I am working on it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.