DOMS?

horseshowmom

Cathlete
Hello Cathe or anyone else who chooses to respond!
I am curious about the frequency of DOMS. I am just returning to regular exercise after a year of walking 4-5 miles a day as my main form of exercise. The past 4 months I had back issues and didn't do much of anything, however, on August 1st I was given the okay to resume regular workouts. I am highly motivated and committed to changing my body shape and am participating in running, kettlebell classes, yoga, pilates, zumba, spinning, precor, and of course weight training. And not to be whiner, BUT, I am really tired of hurting all the time!:eek:
Do you have to experience DOMS in order for a workout to be considered effective? Does it ever go away, or is that an indication that you aren't working hard enough?
Thank you for any input! :cool:

Becky

I don't have an exact answer for you, but I get bummed if I don't feel at least some DOMS. When that happens consistently, I change it up so that I feel it again. Some days, I don't feel it and take that as "good, I've gotten stronger and need to up it some." Others, I know I didn't push myself like I could have because I was just not as peppy that day for whatever reasons, and know that an ok workout is better than none because I always feel better after at least doing something. You are doing the right things by changing it all up. Variety is good :)

I don't have an exact answer for you, but I get bummed if I don't feel at least some DOMS. When that happens consistently, I change it up so that I feel it again. Some days, I don't feel it and take that as "good, I've gotten stronger and need to up it some." Others, I know I didn't push myself like I could have because I was just not as peppy that day for whatever reasons, and know that an ok workout is better than none because I always feel better after at least doing something. You are doing the right things by changing it all up. Variety is good :)

Ditto! Ahhh, nothin like DOMS in the morning. I love that feeling when you reach or bend for something and go, "oof, there it is!". Or coughing DOMS. :eek: But that's only been when I've gone a really long time without ab work. But then again, we're all kind of crazy here... :D

For some reason EVERY time I do PLB I get it.
I even keep it in my regular rotation too! Thats a good thing (right?)

Christie

I don't experience a great deal of DOMS in the upper body, but I still see improvement, so I don't think it's necessary and the only benchmark for rating the effectiveness of a workout. It is fun though, in a weird, twisted way that only people who enjoy exercise understand. :eek:

I suspect other things affect DOMS too, like nutrition, water intake, stretching, and sleep. I swear I've suffered less of this after I started to take fish oil. Could be my imagination though.

Have you heard about the research study that came out about tart cherries reducing DOMS? I think they used cherry juice in the study, but I eat a small handful of dried tart cherries from Trader Joes nearly each day and it really does seem to help - that and using a foam roller!

Bethany

I only have one thing to say....you people are nuts! :p (and I'm a big baby!)
Seriously, thank you for the input. I guess I will just keep hobbling around for now and hope that as I get more fit, I will either learn to embrace and enjoy! :eek:!
DOMS or I'll experience it less!

DOMS are a grade one muscle strain. You do not need to feel DOMS in order for your workout to have been effective-- quite the contrary. The more you do the same exercise, the less you will have any DOMS since your muscles get used to the move and you are less likely to have strained them.

Have you heard about the research study that came out about tart cherries reducing DOMS? I think they used cherry juice in the study, but I eat a small handful of dried tart cherries from Trader Joes nearly each day and it really does seem to help - that and using a foam roller!

Bethany

I was all excited about that study until I looked into it and discovered that it was run and funded by the company that makes the cherry juice concentrate, and it involved a grand total of 14 participants, all of them male college students. Not really a representative sample. So I'm taking the results with a grain of salt.

It may be that cherries help, or maybe not, but it's yet another example of how studies can be used to publicize whatever people want. (But I still want to go get some dried cherries from Trader Joe's...yum!)

Do you have to experience DOMS in order for a workout to be considered effective?

Absolutely not!

If you're working hard--and when those last two reps or so are tough to get out, you are working hard--DOMS isn't necessary to know you've gotten an effective workout. DOMS is most common when you are increasing intensity and/or doing something new. It can be reduced by a variety of recovery methods, including eating a high-alkaline diet, soaking in Epsom salts, stretching after the workout, etc.

I find that S&H--even when I'm working hard at it--doesn't give me much DOMS, but some endurance work does. I think part of that is the lack of recovery within the endurance workout.

Having DOMS continuously can actually be counterproductive, especially if it's that "I can barely move" DOMS, as it can indicate that recovery is not being allowed to take place. And it's during recovery that positive changes in muscle happen.

I've come to feel that the ideal workout would be one in which you work hard through it, and suffer from little-to-no DOMS afterwards, which means you can work out again sooner.

That being said: I must say I take pleasure in a workout that makes my butt burn for a few days...even though that actually may mean it's because those muscles haven't been getting the work they need:().

I swear I've suffered less of this after I started to take fish oil. Could be my imagination though.
There could very well be a connection, as omega 3's (in fish oil and flax) fight inflammation, and one factor in DOMS could be inflammation. (So following an anti-inflammatory diet may reduce DOMS).

Again, tart cherries contain some substance that is an antiinflammatory, so it may well help. Though I'm not sure a handful a day would be enough to show that effect. I imagine in your case, the foam roller may be more of a contribution.

(I'm usually cautious about studies funded by manufacturers who just want to sell more of their product, BUT this info jibes with what I've read elsewhere in non-industry-sponsored studies).

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge! I think I have a lot of *head* knowledge, but am finding it isn't always so easy to apply to real life! So, thank you for clarifying things for me!
I think I've realized that there is a fine line between DOMS and injury pain, and (my theory) between good DOMS and *bad* DOMS!
I've eased up a bit and while I still feel sore and ouchie, it isn't *Oh my gosh, it hurst to breathe!*
I'm going to start taking fish oil/omega 3s and check into the cherries. I also have gotten great input on how to use tennis balls for trigger point relief!
Thanks again for all the help and encouragement! :D
Becky
(the scale doesn't show anything yet, but after 3 weeks my tight pants aren't so tight!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.