Does your family workout too?

gym_mom

Cathlete
I'm curious to know how many people have family members who not only support your workout efforts but atually workout themselves.

I've only been working out faithfully for the past year and a half. My DH and DD are very supportive, but they both think I'm a little off my rocker some days. Particularly since I've started doing Cathe's workouts.

It's frustrating because they complain about their bodies and yet aren't doing anything about it. I realize it's hard, I was in far worse shape than they are, but I keep thinking they should want to workout after watching me struggle for so long. I want them to have learned from my mistakes - I guess that's being unrealistic.

So anyways - share some stories with me about your family members workout habits - maybe it'll make me less frustrated with mine!:)

Claude

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Satchel Paige

My DH is supportive and motivating w/ comments.......He is absolutely a non exeriser that carries 40 extra pounds in his gut...the real danger zone. I am hoping to just be a good role model w/out nagging as he doesnt respond well to "advise"....

My DH is back on a roll again. Usually these "exercise kicks" last a week or two, I'm hopeful this one will be longer. He will use the elliptical and then lift some weights. Today he even used my step! It's fun to see him get "hooked" on it like I do! When he's done he will come tell me everything he did! His "workouts" are currently about 20 minutes long!

Yep, the entire household workouts out, DH and DSs. The 3 DS at home are 11, 9, 8 and are active boys. They also have their own "workouts" they do indoors. Ok, my 25 yo living on his own does not w/o and that's surprising considering he grew up with a mom who was a fitness instructor.

Just last night my 11 yo asked, "Mom, could I borrow your Cathe BC DVD?":7

Yes! We are all workout in my family. I was the first, then DH, then DD then SIL and now DS is slowly dipping his toe in. :)

My DH is very supportive of my exercising and eating habits. Although I'm very proud of his continued efforts on eating better, he still hasn't quite gotten the exercise bug that I have. I did notice that on the days that I have weight workouts planned he'll use the weights I've put out. He's not doing much, maybe some bicep curls and shoulder presses but at least it's something. He says he's also doing squats while brushing his teeth. Hopefully this will lead to something more but I'll take these baby steps as a good sign!

BTW, since I cleaned up my diet several years back he has gone on to lose 20 pounds. That's just from eating what I bring in the house. He's never really concerned himself with portion control.

When I met DH he was a muscle head...now...noway. (Although he is the same size he was twenty years ago, his work is physically demanding). DS 18-muscle head. He gives me pointers and eats much better than I. DD 16-all muscle. After a powder puff football game the varsity football coach jokingly asked if she would consider playing next year. DD 7- Can do 24 push ups at a time. Her brother makes her do 24 for every game of UNO that he will play. Sometimes they play 10 games a day.

Also helps that we play together as a family. Volleyball every weekend during the summer and downhill ski as much as possible.

I would say yes, we all work out. I love Cathe and run sometimes. My husband does P90X and rides a recumbant bike for cardio.
My oldest daughter, who is 13, is my least active child from the standpoint of liking to exercise, but she plays volleyball during the fall, basketball during the winter and softball during the spring, all at school, and tennis and swimming during the summer. I also got her the Cathe step and dvds from Target and she has started doing that once or twice a week. It's amazing how quickly she has picked up the step moves, but she has watched me do it all of her life (discovered Cathe in 1993 right after she was born).
My 4th grader found cross country this fall and loves running. In fact, she ran with the middle schoo cross country team against 6th, 7th and 8th graders and was always in the top 3 to 4 percent!!
My son is 4 and that speaks for itself. He never stops moving and loves to join me during my Cathe work outs!
My children are extremely lucky that physical fitness is a very important component of their education. Each one of my children has an hour of gym ( very well organized, so they are really moving the entire time) 4 days a week and an option to use half of their lunch period (30 minutes worth) once a week for physical activity.

Becky

My DH uses the elliptical about 4 times per week for at least 35 minutes. He also does yoga. I am trying to get him to lift weights. We'll see. :)

-Becky

Most of us do work out. My mom started working out when I was a baby to exercise videos as well as classes at one of the local churches. She's not very consistent, but me doing my videos constantly does motivate her to at least never stop trying. She absolutely adores Cathe and loves the Pure Strength Series the best. She totally supports my exercise habits, buys me equipment, buys herself equipment, and is always eager to talk about the new workouts.

My dad has a very physically demanding job, so that's basically it for him. But he's ridiculously strong - functionally. He could still hang me by the ankles with one hand if he wanted to! :D

My dear boyfriend is also very active. He is in love with yoga, and is an instructor. We actually met while I was taking his class here at the college. He's an amazing teacher, all bias aside :D. He loves biking, walking, running, and swimming. He definitely workouts very consistently. I don't think he has any clue as to my obsession with workout videos, as I still work out at my parent's house every day. He knows they exist, but after a year, he has yet to find out }(

I love being with somebody who cares about health and activity as much as I do. We love walking, running, and doing yoga together. Or even doing them independently and talking about it.

Sara

I would love it if my DH worked out but he just says no!! The only one I can beg to is my youngest,who is 8, she thinks Cathe looks fun but cant handle it. She did try KPC until the drills. I asked her to compare it to her competitive gymnastic workouts (12 hrs/week), she stated that there is NONE!! Ha!

DH and I used to run, but since his 7 back surgeries, there are days he's lucky to be able to walk! Last year, he did great at losing weight just by watching and limiting what he ate, well, it all came back and then some this year!!!

My family thinks I'm a freak:D . My DH does support me. Bless his heart he's letting me go after my dream of doing an Ironman Triathlon in 2007. He lets me do my videos and go run and bike and swim. But for him to participate with me?? NAH!!! He and me kids are content to be my cheerleaders. I wish they'd do more, I worry about them, but what can you do but hope that one day, when they're ready, they'll take the plunge and as Olivia Newton John used to sing "Get Physical;-) "

Amyfit

My DH has always done somekind of WO. He used to run but his knees don't like that much anymore, so now he uses the step. He just makes up his own routine while watching TV. He lifts too.

I wish my 19 year old DD would get into a fitter life style. She doesn't do anything physical and it shows. She eats junk, even though she lives at home and I try not to keep it around. When she's not in class or at work, she's lounging on the couch or her bed. Maybe when her boyfriend gets home from basic training in a month and he is a lean, mean fightin machine, she'll change a bit.

My DS has a genetic disorder that causes him to have an unsatiable appetite. He moved into a group home in July and has an exercise program, mostly walking, and a strict diet. He has lost 30 of the 80 pounds he needs to lose.

My DH works out too. :) We run together and go to the gym together. My 10 yr. old son will go jogging with me too. I've also inspired my dad and my mom and even my grandma, to work out. :)

My SO will put on 20 pounds, then use the elliptical machine and drop the weight very quickly. The fat literally melts off him. So he doesn't understand why it's hard for anyone, including me, to lose weight easily. He says I should stop using my workout videos and just do what he does - the elliptical everday for 50 minutes. It's makes me crazy.

My DH is slender, but doesn't work out. He has a fairly physical job though, so he's in shape as far as muscle tone and cardio endurance.

My DS was a cross country runner, basketball and baseball player in high school, so he's always been active. He's in college now and doesn't run like he used to, but he still does occasionally. I run 3 miles every day, and he can go without running for 3 months and then keep up with me at a moment's notice. Ahhh... youth!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.