Do You LOVE Your Job?

dogs2birds

Cathlete
So I'm just curious. How many people LOVE what they do? As I'm getting ready to go back to work after 2 weeks off I was wondering how many people really love what they do. I always hear the percentage is very low. I work at a college running a non-credit program and am very THANKFUL to have the job I do but would certainly not say I LOVE my job by any means. If I was independently wealthy, I'd quit tomorrow. :)

So who LOVES what they do and what is it? How did you choose it? If you have kids (I don't), how do you help steer them in a direction to be successful AND happy? It seems the focus is on going to college to make a lot of money and be successful. But I don't really hear so much talk about choosing something you will truly love or something you're passionate about because you'll have to do it for many, many years. Maybe things have changed since I was in school (I graduated in 1980 and actually my mom never talked about college so the fact that I made it through college and grad school at all was a biggie I suppose :) ).

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Well, I absolutely love being a writer, and the happiest I have been, work-wise, was when I was writing for television. That was a blast, getting paid well to do what I had already been doing for free. I chose it because 1) it chose me :) and 2) it's the only thing I've ever been good at and 3) I love it.

The tough parts are the times, like now, when I am doing 100 percent freelance/spec.

Sparrow

My garden is filled with papayas and mangos
My life is a mixture of reggaes and tangos
Taste for the good life, I can live it no other way
- Jimmy Buffett

Most of the time I like my job a whole lot. I'm a microbiologist and the work involves much thought, judgement and organizational skill. I love my job the few times I get to go to workshops where you are treated as an important and knowledgable professional. I don't like my job when you are viewed by administration as a button pushing monkey.

Well, there's love and there's love. My DH, who is a computer engineer, REALLY loves his job in that he would do it without being paid. I'm not at that level of love. Actually, my DH says I do love my work as much as he does, I just hate the billable hour requirements, and he may have something there. If I could just be a trusts and estates attorney and spend as much time as I want on things without worrying about whether or not they're "billable" I would say I might even be close to that level of love. But if I didn't have to read tax journals, I would probably be reading novels instead.

All in all I feel pretty lucky to have found my niche in life. As you say, I know there are many people, probably a majority, who truly dislike their jobs and I'm very glad not to be counted among them.

And Robin, I can't even imagine how a microbiologist could be considered anything other than a knowledgable professional. I greatly admire your knowledge and ability, and can't think of anyone I'd rather have analyzing my urine. ;)

Nancy

I love my job. But that still doesn't make it easy to go back after the holidays LOL!! I am a Dermatology Nurse Practitioner. I've been a RN for almost 19 years and a NP for almost 8. I did family practice for 6 years and found dermatology and absolutely love it.

Catherine

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/1.gif

I am a middle school teacher and absolutely love my job. I have been teaching for 6 years and am still amazed sometimes that I get paid for what I do. My BA is in Communication, and originally, I thought I would be a writer in some capacity. Toward the tail end of my undergraduate studies, I worked at an after-school program at the elementary level. That experience planted the seed that I might want to pursue education. Upon graduating, I worked FT as an aide to a state legislator while completing post-bac work (on a PT basis) in order to become a certified teacher. Although politics would have been a much more lucrative field, I have zero regrets and believe that this is what I was meant to do.

I used to love my job... I'm in sales for a mortgage company & work with mortgage brokers. At times it is fun & exciting and when I got into it 6 years ago, I loved it. However, I think the stress of working for a big mortgage company and the ups and downs of the business get to you after a while. I do feel VERY blessed to have such a "good" job when it comes to hours & pay but if I could do anything in the world, I wouldn't be doing what my current job is.

I have actually been thinking a lot about getting ACE certified or something like that b/c if I could do anything I wanted, I'd want to workout/be a personal trainer, etc... I love working out and helping others reach their goal but with being a single young female my income is my only income so it's scary to think about a change like that. Also, here in IL there isn't much of a market for personal trainers so I'd probably also be looking at a major move.

I often wonders if other "workout junkies" like me wished they could incorporate their love for being healthy & working out into a career?

HYN & I admire all of you who love their jobs-shows you took time & thought out what you wanted to do with your life & then made it happpen! Good for you!!!

I love my job. I work for a small rural newspaper and take care of just about everything except graphics design. I did graphics design at one point, but its just not for me. Not to creative. I also write a fitness column for the paper once a month which I love to do. My boss is the best person anyone could work for, he spoils me. I also love most of my coworkers, although a couple of them I could do without. There's always one or two in a group that ruins things for everyone, though.

I love this thread- I hope more people keep responding- I am a stay at home mom and as my youngest is getting older I have resolved to find a "job" soon- I have been out of the working world so long and am nervous about having no comp. skills, etc. they all want you to know excel, access???? anyway I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up so it's interesting to see what everyones doing--sparrow- if you see this how did you get into writing for TV and what you're doing now?--thanks, deb

I do like my job. I'm a medical technologist, working for a private lab. A large part of my work consists of small projects as opposed to the day to day duties of a technologist. However,I'm totally frustrated right now with the administration, and I would leave in a heartbeat if I could afford to.
Robin, I understand what you mean about the button pushing. The sad part is that there are those I work with who are content to do this.
Heavy sigh!

Phyllis

http://www.picturetrail.com/pwmatt check out new pics posted 12/20

I love my job. But I think that's pretty easy to say because I don't have a boss. DH and I own and operate a trucking company. I do the books and he does the scheduling and driving. I quit my nursing job to do this and wasn't sure if I'd like it but thankfully I just love the independence of being my own boss. I only have to work about 2-3 days a week, plus I get to work whenever I want to for the most part.......a flexible schedule is hard to beat;-)

Angie

I am a stay at home mom too. My youngest will be going to school next year and it is also time for me to go back to work. Not sure what I want to be when I go up either! I do get anxious just thinking about it...how do you all juggle work and kids when they are in school and have to stay home sick, after school sports or school vacations etc?

To answer you question I do love my job. It is never ending.

Lori
:D

>sparrow- if you see
>this how did you get into writing for TV and what you're doing
>now?--thanks, deb

hi Deb:

I did it pretty much like anyone who has no connections in "the business" does it, which is to say on a wing and a prayer! First I went to grad school for film/tv writing, then moved to NYC with no money, shared a horrible apartment with several people, worked crap jobs both in and out of film/tv to pay the bills, wrote like hell at night, and then was lucky enough to catch a break when I heard that one of Disney's NY production companies needed a receptionist for a while. I took the job with my eye on bigger things and was writing for them within about a year and 1/2.

Right now I am working on the second draft of a screenplay that I've been shopping around. My life is such that I have no huge interest in living in LA (or NY) so it's easier for me to do my own spec stuff than try to land a gig as a staff writer on a show or something.

I know what you mean about not really knowing what you want to be when you grow up! There are so many jobs I'm impressed by....what fields are you planning to look in when you get back into it?

Sparrow

- Jimmy Buffett

I love my job!! I am a consultant for Premier Designs Jewelry, and I get to go and do home shows, and tell ladies they just got, usually, about $200 in free jewelry. I enjoy it. I work when I want, I am my own boss. I worked in a factory for 18 years, so this is next to heaven for me.
Lori

Hi Sparrow- that sounds soo glamerous to me but it sounds like you've put a lot of effort into your career-that was smart to do an entry level job first and get into your career that way- I'm not really sure what I would be good at- I use to draw alll the time and my husband is very supportive of that so I guess I could try something with that- I went to college and received a degree in business mgt. and proceeded to do the fast food thing until I had kids- I did not like the "business" world -it's not me-I should start exploring but to get my feet wet I may try substitute teaching -thats a job I could get into fairly easily with less "skill" and earn money and it would look better on a resume than just nothing--your thoughts??-thanks again--deb

I love my job! I think I now actually have 2! I'm a stay at home mom!!:) but my kids are in school full time this year, so I've been a teaching assistant at the nursery school my youngest went to, 2 years ago. I work mon, tues, and thurs from 12-2! I work with 3 and 4 year olds! They are alot of fun and love everything!(and still give hugs an hold hands, unlike my DS's who are getting too old for that, according to them!!) Its great because I'm home when my kids are home, off when my kids are off and if my kids are sick, I can still put them first and take the day off and just get a sub.
Deanie

"This is a Blast- act like you are having one!" Cathe Friedrich

>Hi Sparrow- that sounds soo glamerous to me but it sounds
>like you've put a lot of effort into your career-that was
>smart to do an entry level job first and get into your career
>that way- I'm not really sure what I would be good at- I use
>to draw alll the time and my husband is very supportive of
>that so I guess I could try something with that- I went to
>college and received a degree in business mgt. and proceeded
>to do the fast food thing until I had kids- I did not like the
>"business" world -it's not me-I should start exploring but to
>get my feet wet I may try substitute teaching -thats a job I
>could get into fairly easily with less "skill" and earn money
>and it would look better on a resume than just nothing--your
>thoughts??-thanks again--deb

Deb...it has its glamorous moments but in all honesty film/tv is a grind. Lots of last minute work, short-tempers and long long hours, especially when you're on set. You have to love it or the burn out happens quickly. The nice moments are things like award shows, movie screenings, watching projects come together and yes, seeing your name on the screen is nice too, if somewhat vain!!

I know people who have done sub teaching and really enjoyed it, and found it to be a good stepping stone. But, I am more intrigued by your drawing skills. If you are an artist have you considered art design of some sort? Also, it may sound silly, but I know an artist who is making a nice living creating her own greeting cards. She started by drawing some and offering them to local boutique type shops. With your degree in biz you could easily combine creativity and money-making, something alot of us creative types haven't yet figured out...:D

Sparrow

- Jimmy Buffett

I'm another one who loves her job. I'm a paralegal, working on domestic violence crime prosecution matters. I've done it for almost 7-1/2 years now. You'd think that by now I'd be burned out either by sheer repetition or by the incredibly emotionally draining and frightening aspect of that crime category, but there is always (sadly) work to be done and I know I do it well.

Thank the stars, though, for Cathe's workouts. If I didn't have those, and my aqua classes, the stress would be too much for me.

A-Jock

I love my job. I'm a City Clerk/Administrator for a small city. I work three days a week/6.5 hours a day so I love the hours too. I've been there almost 10 years. Also, I am the only employee so I am very busy which makes the time fly, I do so many different things so it is never boring and there is no boss hanging over my head.

Edit to say that my DH has his own construction business so I do all the book keeping for him which I also love.

Joanne

I wouldn't say that I love my job, but I do really enjoy the challenges it brings. I am an Open Heart/Traum ICU nurse. I hate administration and all the bull they create and I hate the fact that there are all sorts of non-medical personnel putting their fingers in what I do (having no idea what they are doing)...but when it comes down to being left alone and allowed to do my job? I enjoy it. Granted, there are some very frustrating aspects of it and I don't like (for example, severe head injury with brain death and the family doesn't understand that their loved one isn't going to recover and refuses to let them pass peacefully!!! x()

That's not to say that I don't plan on leaving it in the future and going back to school...I want to become either a PA or a CRNA (nurse anesthetist), nor would I turn down the lottery if it dropped on my doorstep!!!;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.