Do You LOVE Your Job?

Yes, I LOVE my job because I'd do it even if I didn't get paid. So, it's not really "work." I started my own home staging company 2 years ago. It took me a long time and many different jobs before I heard about home staging. In each job, however, I learned different things that have helped me become my own boss, even on jobs that I hated. I set my own hours and am home before the kids get off the bus. On the flip side, I must set rules for myself and my clients, otherwise I'd find myself working 24/7 - anyone who's self-employed knows that I'm talking about. I don't just leave at 5:00 and be done for the day. There's always something to do or think about/plan. But I wouldn't change a thing. I know this is what I'm supposed to do for the rest of my life. Very comforting and reassuring; I thank God every day for that blessing.

It took me 36 years to figure out what I wanted to do when I grew up!
Terri

I won't 100% say I LOVE my job, but I do really enjoy what I do. Sometimes my hours are long and somedays I do get a headache, however the company I work for is a good company with a good service we provide to the public. My boss is very understanding and will let me do what I need to get done during the day, so I have freedom. I do not really have to be to work at a certain time or work until 5:00 PM, however when I work I am there to work and not to socialize. I did take a little bit of a pay cut to work there, however to me it is worth it to go home at the end of the day and know the going to work tomorrow is not a big challenge. If I had to list the good vs. the bad, the good by far would win!

Its funny to me how this thread came up today, the day when I decided that my job is NOT for me. But you all gave me some good ideas to think about!! :)

I LOVE my job! I love being a mom and I love working part-time as the Director of Development for the Y. We raise money by holding extremely fun events. Today we held a Polar Bear Plunge where people aged 6-71 ran into the frigid waters of a "creek" off the Chesapeake Bay. It was a blast and I never would have done it had it not been for my job. My bosses are great, my co-workers are great, I'm doing something worthwhile for needy families and my hours are as flexible as I want them to be.

I love my job. I'm a lawyer who used to work for a high end law firm in a big city. Lots of pressure!!! I thought I hated being a lawyer but I really just hated feeling stressed out all the time. Fast forward, I moved to a small town about 2 1/2 years ago to semi-retire (I'm 42) and didn't practice for a year or so. Several months ago I started working for a small general practice firm because I was restless and really needing a challenge. I really do love my job now. Sometimes I feel like I'm not busy enough because I'm so used to be overwhelmed by my work, but I really do enjoy what I do. It helps that I negotiated a 4 day work week also.;-)

Buffy

I was a stay at home Mom and when my daughter went to kindergarten this past fall I was ready to find a part-time job and still continue taking classes to eventually become a court reporter. I am working at an elementary school library 8:30-3 in the same school district as my children although not the same school. I get the summers off and every holiday and break they get off I get off...unpaid of course. It is a perfect part-time job for someone with school age kids. I do love it but I do eventually want to finish school to become court reporter.

What great responses! It's great to read about what everybody does and whether you love it or not. My DH wanted to be a police officer from the time he was a child and he followed that dream. He's done it for so long now and I'm not sure he'd use the word LOVE anymore, but I don't think he would have seen himself doing anything else. He certainly doesn't mind going to work, although as someone mentioned he wouldn't turn down the lottery either. :)

It's great to hear that there are people out there who love what they are doing.

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

I'm a critical care nurse, and if I hit the lottery tomorrow, I'd still be one (but not full time!)- and nursing is who I am. I have an MBA in finance and had a corporate life,alfa romeo,single gal condo bordering NYC, and now, I'm a weekend program nurse, homeschooling mom, and yoga teacher - and whereas I hate the bull we go through and exploitation - but that's in every job. And I can honestly say, other than my salary, I love waking up each day....(of course, cymbalta helps!) Love to all!

Count me in with this crowd. I love my work. Back in college I read a poem by Rumi (translated by Coleman Barks) which read: "Let the beauty we love be what we do." I decided then and there to take this as my life motto. For me, nothing is more beautiful than art, especially literature, poetry, and theater. Nowadays, I play as an English professor, and somedays I cannot believe that, in a world with many soul-shrivelling jobs, one can actually make a living sitting around with young people (and not so young people) discussing the greatest things that have been thought and said in the history of the language. To be a part of the ongoing conversation of humanity is a thrill. I can't think of anything more important than constantly meditating on questions about how we see our relationship to our own selves, to other humans, to nature, and to the divine.

Because the pay is humble, my motivation has always been an intrinsic one. I chose to study literature for love, never for money. Many years of tolerating austerity during graduate school prepared me well for the lean paychecks that now punctuate my life.

Manmohini

Manmohini-I like the idea of "playing" instead of working-maybe I can live up to that idea

Sparrow- nice words of encouragement- from the time I was a little girl until I was 18 I carried a sketchbook around with me and drew everything-then went to college thinking I'd better do something "serious"-I wish I hadn't stopped drawing and I hope to get the courage to start drawing again-you see artists are so vain- someone will ask you-what you drawing? and you see only the mistakes and they see a nice picture- I have to get over that--thanks again--deb

I love my job. I teach fifth grade in a small town. Many of my children are living in poverty, and many desperately need my love and attention. I feel useful here, which gives me much satisfaction. The best thing about my job, though, is that it's never boring. I was a secretary for thirteen years before I became a teacher. I used to watch that clock all day long. Every minute lasted an hour; every hour lasted a day; every day lasted an eternity (and I only worked part-time). Now, the kids point to the clock and I exclaim, "Is it lunch time already!" Sure, I have complaints like anyone else, but overall, yeah, I'd say I love my job.

As for my son, I've told him since he was very young that he will spend a very large portion of his life at work, and unless he wants to feel he's wasting a huge chunk of his very short life, he'd better find something he loves to do, then do it. What good is making a lot of money if you don't have time to spend it? I've tried to teach him that it's more fun finding things to do that don't cost much. There are adventures to be had everywhere.

One summer, when my son was about twelve and we were both out of school for the summer, he and I bought a book about interesting local attractions, weird, out-of-the-way places that you rarely hear about (for example, a restaurant in a cave in Missouri), and we spent the summer visiting them. It was one of the best summers we've ever had. Okay, it was one of the best summers I've ever had. He's not quite convinced yet. He still craves the adrenaline rush, thinks he needs to live in a big city to find happiness, but I'm hoping my example and the things I've taught him will kick in after he's grown up and experienced a little bit of the world. He'll have to see both sides before he can make a decision. He'll have to learn for himself that life is only boring if you choose to be bored, no matter where you live. He'll just have to try the other options and then decide. Either way, though, I want him to do what he loves and love what he does.

Shari

Shari - I'm SO happy to hear that someone is teaching their child the importance of doing something you love in life. I really haven't heard that yet in this discussion and I think it's so important. I just don't think there's enough emphasis on that and you know they always say if you love what you do, success will follow (do they say that? :) ). It sure sounds like you're on the right track with your son. I'm sure it will click with him when the time is right. Good for you! He's lucky to have you.

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

I used to love my job. I work as a writer for a media department in a large university hospital. I used to do some really challenging and interesting medical writing/research. But things have changed dramatically - our department was taken over by another, we've seen huge administrative changes, massive layoffs and of course lots of changes in individual responsibilities. I don't enjoy the way my job has changed at all. But, in light of what happened to about half of our staff (gone), I'm grateful to have a job, period.

I too LOVE my job. I am a self employed massage therapist with 2 separate jobs. I work about 25 hours a week and make a good living. I work at a chiropractic clinic and at a high end day spa. The clinic is much more, well...clinical, I treat mostly for repetitive strains, whiplash, motor vehicle accidents but have some regulars (I love my regulars!!) who come for relaxation. What I love most is the results oriented nature of the work, establishing goals and treatment plans and seeing them through so that the client can get back to their activities of daily living. It's a family oriented clinic and I love being there, folks are friendly and we get to know each other pretty well. The spa is completely different, it's gorgeous, the work is not as hard and the pay is more (same commission, higher rates), gotta love that;-) People are very happy to be at the spa and aren't in pain like many at the clinic. During massage I feel very satisfied when I see the client serenely lost in the work, it makes me feel very good to be able to provide people with an experience of peace and relaxation, like an oasis in the craziness that we live in. If a client wants to chat, I'll chat but I always let them initiate, I have had some incredible conversations and exchanges of ideas during massage and met some people who have changed the way I look at the world. I chose this career because, through a sick family member, I saw first hand the power of touch when a person was suffering, that it could markedly decrease suffering. It took me a few years after the death of our family member to get it together but I went back to school at 38 with 3 little kids and made it happen. I love the journey it took to get here and it was worth ALL of the blood, sweat and tears!!

Take Care
Laurie

I LOVE being a special education teacher. I love when one of my students comes up beside me and slips their little hand in mine. I love when a child comes to me who has no friends, is out of control, and has no social skills, leaerns how to be a good friend and how to get along with others and realizes that he actually likes being social and likes the way he feels when he gets along with others. I love when a child who entered my classroom with no conficdence leaves feeling proud and accomplished for doing something he thought he couldn't do. I love when my students realize it's o.k. when you mess up as long as you are trying and giving your absolute best. I also love it when they don't give up and realize a lot of their little mess ups can be corrected with time and practice. I love that many of my little ones go on to be successful in a regular first grade classroom and they leave kindergarten loving school!

The things I love about my job keep me coming back year after year. There have been some really tough years where I thought I wouldn't come back. I've had some terrific parents. I've had parents who at least leave me alone and let me do my job and their child sees success. I've had parents who are not going to be pleased and are going to use me to blame for their child's behavior problems even though they're the ones who have raised the child for the first five years of his life. I had one parent, it only takes one, who hated me from day one and that was the year I almost threw in the towel. She wasn't worth it and I'm so glad I didn't quit b/c the two years after her have actually been two of my best years as a teacher!

So, yes, overall, I love my job. The paperwork is outrageous and overwhelming as is setting up and getting everyone to the IEP meetings. I actually do more paperwork now, as a teacher than when I worked in an office full time. But I DO love my job for the reasons stated above and for so much more! The children are worth it and I try to always keep THAT before me.

I can't say I love my job, per say, but I love the people I work with. I have worked for the same company for 26 years. They have helped pay for my undergrad and my graduate degree. I make very good money and am earning an excellent pension. But, all in all my job can be boring because I do Finance work which does not excite me.

The company I work for designs, develops and builds weapons for our country's defense but these same weapons will mame and kill innocent people also. I am finding myself having a problem with this lately because I don't think we should be in Iraq...but that's another story.

In four more years my plan is to go part time, maybe three days a week and possibly do community volunteer work the other two days of the week. I am looking forward to this very much.

I used to love my job as an Office Administrator for a IT consulting company. I was there for 8 years. I loved meeting all the consultants and learned so much there. I actually did not mind going to work every day. However, there was too many issues that I had with management and my boss. I simply did not trust her and disagreed with many things that she did (mostly moral issues).
I really had no choice but to leave. I'm now working for an engineering consulting firm and whereas it's a good company, the people are nice and the pay is good it is boring. I don't have the workload as I did before and the company is much smaller. I've been here for 7 months but not sure if I will stay longer than a year. I am working towards my personal training certificate through NSCA. I have been offered a part time position with the boot camp program that I am currently enrolled in. I'm hoping that this will lead into something more stable in the fitness industry.

I do LOVE my job as a manicurist. Being self unemployed gives you alot of freedom. Tax time is not very fun though!! I have done this for 17 years and I am very close to my clients, they are like an extended family. Some have been with me the whole time....:)

I don't know if I will ever find a job I LOVE.

I am hopeful that I am moving towards a job I'll love though. I am currently in nursing school. I chose nursing because I do want to help people but to be honest I am not sure if it is in that way...so hands on. Plus, what I have seen of the field so far has left something to be desired. BUT, getting that education and working, even part time, will allow me the financial luxury of pursuing something else I might like. I don't know what that is yet. I used to think it was a career in fitness, but now I am not so sure. After watching my Dad die, I have seen firsthand human suffering and hospice work sounds appealing to some extent. I chose nursing school because I figured that even if nursing ended up not being for me I would still get an awesome education in health related topics. I thought that the odds were in my favor that some specialty of nursing would appeal to me. Nursing school has changed me forever. Even though I don't know if it is the career that will make me happy, I'll never regret going to school and taking on that challenge. I am really tired of it though...:p

Some of us spend a lifetime in a constant struggle trying to find the job we will "love". That might be me, but I'll sure have a fun time learning everything!:D

Love my job - I wish.

I am an accountant CPA working for a public company. Things are always changing etc and this job allowed me to live abroad for 6 months and but I just don't feel I am doing any living person much good crunching numbers and how our company seems to think that no one else can add 2 + 2 on a spreadsheet so call the accountant.

I make really good money for where I live. It is my resolution this year to find out what I want to do and do it. I want to find my niche and still make some money. I am not affraid of hard work and long hours.

Anyway - don't love the profession I am in but it has given me lots of fun times, great friends and savings!

Winter

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.