dietary change

For those of you who added more fat to lose weight? How did you add that in? and what are some foods you used or ways you incorporated more fats into your eating?

For those of you who added more fat to lose weight? How did you add that in? and what are some foods you used or ways you incorporated more fats into your eating?

I pretty much went back to "traditional" (a.k.a. REAL FOOD ONLY) eating habits and it happened naturally and intuitively. My fat intake is around 50% of my macro-nutrients.

I'm an omnivore, so I get my fats from a lot of different sources - butter, fish and meats (lean & fat), full fat dairy, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, seeds. FWIW, eating more fat helps stave off my sweet tooth.

Stay away from Canola, vegetable, corn oils and the like, as well as processed foods in general. Keeping with real, whole, natural foods is really the key here...not just adding fat. You gotta have quality all the way around.

HTH. :)

ETA: In the spirit of full disclosure, I didn't do this to lose weight, so I'm not working toward that goal. I'm doing this purely to feel better AND to improve my heavy lifting. It's working for both those goals so far. FWIW, my weight is holding steady...where I want it.

Last edited:
One of my biggest disappointments was buying into the theory of eating every two hours. I never felt satisfied and it was too much of a hassle always looking at the time.

I've gone back to 3 meals and a snack, and the other mantra I ignore is eating the big breakfast to start the day (unless I've got a group ride scheduled). I'm not hungry in the morning so I just mix a scoop of protein in water and I'm fine until lunch.

I've found the best results from, as others have mentioned, eating real food-high flavor meals with garlic, home-grown herbs (not difficult to grow), olive oil, fresh vegetables. Also, if I don't want to eat it-dont' buy it! Drink plenty of water, three meals plus one snack, have some meals that are boring-I know that sounds contradictory, but a homemade protein shake for lunch 3-5 days week, or a dish of cottage cheese and sunflower seed for breakfast simplifies eating. The other two meals in the day can have the intense flavor.

Step one: adding a daily green smoothie to my diet.

Step two: going raw (this is the only thing that FINALLY helped me get rid of the 10 pounds I gained in my first two years at my current job. No previous diet and/or exercise combo ever got me back to where I am now. I lost the 10, and a few more, and have been stable at that weight for two months now.

Kathryn, are you concocting your own green smoothie or are you buying one off the internet, like Greens Plus?

Last edited:
What has worked for me is:

-keeping a food diary
-eating clean (for the most part)
-not eating after dinner (when I tend to go overboard on treats)
-sticking to my workouts (6 days a week on average)
-having just protein and a vegetable for dinner and eating my carbs earlier in the day

--Kara--

I lost over fifty pounds in eight months (and have kept it off for two years) through a combination of:

*calorie counting, and eating within range, with a 300-500 calorie deficit every day, aiming for 1-2 pounds a week
* regular exercise, with more cardio up front but transitioning to more strength training as the weight came off
* eating much cleaner, though not perfectly clean - meaning reducing processed foods in favor of more natural foods

Most importantly, keeping up a focus on learning more about nutrition/exercise.

I highly recommend the SparkPeople program as a good place to get support for a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet.

One of my biggest disappointments was buying into the theory of eating every two hours. I never felt satisfied and it was too much of a hassle always looking at the time.

I've gone back to 3 meals and a snack, and the other mantra I ignore is eating the big breakfast to start the day (unless I've got a group ride scheduled). I'm not hungry in the morning so I just mix a scoop of protein in water and I'm fine until lunch.

DirtDiva: i'm learning this. When i eat mini meals i end up over my caloric range by the end of the day b/c i'm hungry all day and never feel satisfied.

All but eliminating processed sugar and flour from my diet. I still eat bread and pasta, etc. at restaurants, and sometimes I've just got to have a bagel, but those kind of simple carbs are not part of my every day diet any more.

Kathryn, are you concocting your own green smoothie or are you buying one off the internet, like Greens Plus?

I make my own. Most of the time, I use fresh greens like kale, spinach, celery, parsley, romain, collards, etc. Sometimes (like when I'm out of fresh greens and need to pick some up), I'll use "Vitamineral Green" as the green component of my smoothie instead.

You can check out some of my recipes in one of my blog posts.

Ditto times a zillion! :eek: I think the wole "eat 6 meals a day" was hyped by the protein shake and snack bar industry, who advertised that it was easier to get those meals in if you ate their products :confused:

I eat real food again now, 3 meals a day (maybe 2!): real butter, full-fat sour cream, real chocolate, wine, etc. Just a smidge less than before!

Ditto times a zillion! :eek: I think the wole "eat 6 meals a day" was hyped by the protein shake and snack bar industry, who advertised that it was easier to get those meals in if you ate their products :confused:

I eat real food again now, 3 meals a day (maybe 2!): real butter, full-fat sour cream, real chocolate, wine, etc. Just a smidge less than before!

Govtgirl: your diet sounds sooooo great! I'm so tired of eating all this diet food which in the end isn't good for you since its loaded with chemicals and it never satisfies. What does your daily diet typically look like?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.