Did anyone see Avatar?

janie1234

Cathlete
I don't know if it is to creepy for my 7 and 9 year old. Yes, I'm a bit on the conservative side when it comes to raising my kids. They have not see Lord of the Rings and they don't play scary video games. Thanks in advance.

I've been wondering the same thing for my 8 and 10 year olds. A friend said her 11 year old saw it and thought it would be fine for the 8 year old, but I think those kids have been exposed to a little more than mine have. I've been trying to call my sister because she may have seen it. Will post back if I hear anything useful.

I just got back from seeing it a little while ago...I took my 9 year old daughter. She did not find it scary. There is a pretty intense battle scene at the end...but...as another poster said, nothing most kids haven't seen these days. Visually, it was stunning. My daughter did have a few questions to clarify the plot on the way home. But she really liked it. She did pick up on the enviromental message that was definetely a theme throughout. It was long...almost three hours. I do recommend seeing it in 3D.

Hope this helps a bit!
AImee

There are lots of sites that will review movies for you and tell you what to expect as to appropriateness for different age levels. I like to check these out, since we all have different definitions of what is appropriate for our families! Here is an example of one, but a quick google search of movies/rating/family will give you lots of help.

Jenn

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/a/avatar.htm

I saw it and I think it depends on the maturity level of your kids, the battle scene towards the end had me squirming and avoiding the screen simply because I dislike violence, not that it was overwhelming awful. We saw it in regular mode, then my daughter went again with friends and saw it in 3D, but she said 3D gave her a headache. Visually, it was stunning and I agree too the underlying message should be applied to this world.

Take them...have they seen any of the Harry Potter movies? Possibly The Lord of the Rings? I took my seven year old...it was just fine.

A fantastic film! The majority of the movie was about learning the culture of a different species. The Native American influence in the culture was very clear along with the environmental message as Aimee posted. The battle scene was no more intense than most other films. It was pretty sad though to see all those people fighting a superior species for their land - oh, hey, just like the Native Americans did!

Again, a wonderful film! I agree though, if you are very strict about what your kids see, check out the movie on the web first and decide. I tend to have a very wide taste in movies and because of my exposure, tend to downplay without realizing it.

I didn't see it, was at work, but DH took DS on Monday. They both loved it. DS is 8. DH said it was a little intense in bits, but nothing extreme. He compared it to "9" which was the animated movie out earlier this year in term of intensity. There are several parent movie review sites, and from what I recall none of them said to keep your kids away, but I think it all depends on the child as well.

Nan

I'm glad they enjoyed it Nan! There are a lot of really good messages in Avatar! Not to mention the digital effects are absolutely genius!

I loved 9 too!

Way too scary, big teeth and animals killing each other. Maybe in a few years on tv. I loved the movie and think you should go but not for anybody under 10 years old.

Thanks everyone. My kids are to freaked out to watch Lord of the Rings so I'm thinking it might not be appropriate for them. They also could not watch any of the Harry Potter movies past the second one. The dementors were to scary. I love all sorts of movies, . .gore to a point. I used to read the comic book Avatar so I probably will see it by myself. Thanks again.

Hi Jamie,

We took our (nearly) seven year old to see it yesterday. There wasn't anything too terribly scary. The 3-D is pretty intense, better than anything I've ever seen. The movie is off the charts amazing visually! My son LOVED it as did his father and I!! I can't recommend it highly enough. It is intense in places.

Have you looked at Fandango for some trailers to view?

Enjoy and Happy New Year!
Pam

Personally, I would hold off just because the story line may be hard for them to follow simply because it's more adult--not necessarily inappropriate. I think there were a few bad words sprinkled in there and there was one sexy kissing scene (in CGI, which made me giggle for a second). My husband and I looooved the movie and I wouldn't even bother seeing it unless it's in 3D.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.