DH mad at me about baby question

Thank you for that perspective, Valerie. I had no idea how often the question gets asked. That makes sense since I had my first child at 26 so why would anyone ask me? :) Two of my nieces are childless by choice and I, of course, I know why but I am going to ask them if this happens to them and how they feel about it. I also have a sister, the only one who has no children and does not because she could not and that was in spite of years of in vitro. I know she would freely share that information and not mind being asked since it was something she longed for and she's outging and talks a blue streak. :)

We have new neighbors and I have been getting to know them and my husband wanted to know what the husband did and I said I don't know. It hasn't come up yet. The wife is a photographer setting up a new business and she volunteered that immediately. My neighbor on the other side, who is a doll but also very nosy, found out the very first time she met the new neighbors because she asked. I enjoy chatting and getting to know people and as I do, tidbits of information come out so that ove rtime I get a good picture of their lives. I guess I am trying to say it would really depend on the circumstances. Potentially, I could become friends with my new neighbors. I like them and see them daily. Questions from perfect strangers are a different thing altogether and it's understandable to get upset or just plain tired of one that is repeated constantly. I think that I would look at that when a touchy subject arises. How well I know the person or will know the person and what type of person I am talking to. What motivates people to ask personal questions? What's your idea of too personal? It arises a lot. In this case, I see a great deal of an unrealized asumption that a young couple will at some point be planning to start a family. Even nosy, prying may have no idea may be on a delicate subject or one that is so often repeated that the questionee is ready to snap. It's not always a delicate subject, that. In fact, it's a quite normal question in many cases.

Childless by choice is the exception and we are used to sharing such information, particularly with family and friends. When we stopped at two girls, people wanted to know when we'd try for the boy. :) We didn't plan to but he had other plans. :) I think most would be parents are happy to share and the curiosity is normal in some circles. If someone asks that question, they will most likely discover that a couple has a plans for children and hasn't implemented it yet and, that being the case, they'll ask someone else and probably not even consider that they may be talking to someone who has had fertility problems or just doesn't want the messy noisy life altering little buggers. :)

Anyway, Waterlily is sick to death of that question and with good reason, just as you are and it looks as if you may yet be asked time and again. Waterlily's husband was unhappy with her response as well and she's going to see this woman and the other carpoolers again and again. Will she now be uncomfortable because her response was so vehement? She may feel the woman who asked her the question owes her an apology for being so personal and yet she might want to apologize to the woman because of her response. If this was a problem I faced often, I might ask myself how to deal with it beforehand. A quiet that's a very personal question and I don't care to answer it" would quiet everyone down and even "I don't intend to have children." Period. You could meet someone who'd continue to pry but it's not always right to meet rudeness with rudeness when you feel people are being rude.

I have been having tremendous difficulty with my oldest daughter being mouthy, feeling entitled and generally acting like a spoiled brat at times. I have been trying to find a better way to stop this since I feel terrible when we engage in battle and, although I am 26 years older, she's has such a sharp tongue and pulls no punches when it comes to assaulting with it, she can take me quite easily. I was so angry and resentful of her and yet I kept returning fire but could not be so cruel because I don't want to do the sort of damage that could do. I know she's just angry and trying to hurt. That both hurts and disappoints me emotionally but my ratonal mind tells me she doesn't mean most of what she says. She is very hot tempered and a little mean too. I sadly concluded that while I love her no matter what, I am not requred to like her all the time, nor she me. Lately, I have bitten my tongue, in fact, I now have only half a tongue ;) - and I just keep taking my car away from her newly licensed crazy about driving self. I can't help but wonder if Waterlily herself is unhappy with her reaction? Reading her post and yours, it's understandable that you are frustrated by the question but you are going to be forced to deal with it and it would be better for all who must to be prepared for it and to answer it or not but in such a way as to not come across looking a witch with a capital B. ;)

I can relate to feeling stressed and upset and snapping a head off myself but resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die so I am quick to fix that even if the other person is pushing buttons because, in the end, I want to feel good about my behavior even if I am dealing with someone who is a rotton rubber duck. :)

Waterlily lost her temper and made her husband upset and she may have had darn good reason to get irritated but simply saying I am tired of that question and do not wish to answer it would have worked as well to shut everyone up. We know she's not mean or rude as a matter of course but now she has to deal with the consequences of her anger and could be uncomfortable in her carpool, which stinks. Finding a better way to deal with such situations, whether it's nosy people or mouthy daughters, is my current theme in life and it's led me to look at my own behavior when things get sticky. There is much to be said for being the better man even though that's hard at times. What was gained by ripping that woman a new one? The questions WILL continue . What's the best way to deal with a situation like that? I advocate finding a better way in a case like this if she feels she over did her response. It's that age old question about the ends justifying the means. Does it?
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

My personal
>favorite to the "When Are you going to have a baby?" is "Five
>Years from the last time you ask", and then look at my watch.
>It gets the point across. :p
>
>Valerie
>

That's a great one!

"You never know the answer you may get. What if the person just miscarried? What if they couldn't get pregnant? What business is it of someone else outside of my marriage anyway?"

EXACTLY!!!!!!! I remember going through infertility and having people ask me the questions. Then, you tell them your difficulties and they say, "well, if you'd stop worrying about it... it would happen" or "buy taking charge of your fetility" (which I have even recommended this book). I have also had a miscarriage and had people asking me when I was going to have a second child.

ETA: I believe most people are just being friendly and usually the kid subject is neutral ground. Then there are those who are insensitive. My mother wanted 6 children but only had me with the help of meds and inseminations. She never used contrception. Anyway, my mother lost her husband (my dad), her only sibling, and her best friend within 5 months. She was grieving as you can imagine. An out-of-state cousin visited and when my mother told her how lonely she felt the response "you should have had more children". I still want to give the &#$^*@#$&#@ a piece of my mind.

One thing is certain everyone in the carpool should be rethinking which questions are too personal. ;) Sometimes we ask questions thoughtlessly and don't even realize we are upsetting anyone. :D My husband is not inclined to analyze negative behavior; he just wants to move on. I take everything apart and over analyze to the point of painfulness. I have discovered that if I wait, he often offers me an opportunity to ask him touchy questions in such a way they can be slipped in unobstrusively and without getting a huge rise out of him when he gets defensive because he tends to go on the offensive and then my feelings get hurt. It's hard but it's also great practice at being patient which I need. And the opportunity almost always presents itself and quickly too. :)

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

This question must bring out the lurkers.... I just can't help but reply to this one.

I, like so many of you who have posted, don't have kids. I'm 33 and have only been married 2 years. The questions started immediately (NO KIDDING!) after we got back from our honeymoon- not from our moms but from people I don't really even talk to. Both of our moms' only hope for a grandbaby is through us, since our brothers have no urge at all to have kids. The moms have NEVER asked us if and when we are having kids. They respect our decision either way. When I told my mom about the endless "When are you having kids?" question, she just replied that it's not for everyone. She said that she just always knew she wanted kids, but that I might be the opposite. (I guess she understands that side since my brother always knew he didn't!)

I had an experience similar to SmartyJones'. A coworker, who just had twins, that makes 3 for her, always makes comments about how miserable she is with kids. Then she asks me when I'm having kids. I repeat the same reply I always do, "I'm not sure that having kids is for me. We've only been married for 2 years. I've never felt that having kids was something that would make me feel complete. I feel complete now. And there are many other reasons." Her reply was "Oh, you mean your selfish reasons?" I just about hit her. What the heck?! I know that some people feel that urge to have kids, that it does make their life complete. I don't feel that at all. To me, that's like having a man in order to feel complete. If that makes me selfish, so be it. I think it makes me smart because I've thought about if having kids is the right choice for me.

I honestly don't think people mean to be hurtful, except for some morons (my coworker and others mentioned). But they really don't understand how annoying it is and how the TONE of their questions is insulting, like there's something wrong with not having kids. What if all the childless-by-choice women made the mothers feel like there's something wrong with having kids?!

I think there are a lot of questions like that basically anything that puts us in the majority and something that is not socially acceptable.

I am part of an even smaller minority (single by choice). It use to REALLY bother me when people would say - I know you will meet someone when you least expect it. You will be lonely when you are older, when the kids grow up. I know you will remarry. After 16 years of being single folks have finally stopped asking! It has taken me a long time to feel comfortable with this and it seems now that folks are finally realizing wow... maybe she really is serious about it and doesn't need to be married to be happy.

I actually have a cousin/aunt with 7 kids - and it was amazing how RUDE people were to her about having so many kids. They are wonderful kids (grown) all have very different personalities and very caring people.

Its odd - our differences make the world interesting but it is so difficult being in the minority.

Well said, Robyn. I occasionally sigh over never having lived alone in my life, going from my parents to living with sisters to marrying that man. You lucky woman! :D I will now look at my own personal experience based assumptions more closely! :)

I've read a lot of letters in Dear Abby that talk about this very thing. Questions about are you having children? Or, are these children yours? The extent of personal prying questions is unexhaustable.

I think it's a fact of life that people (in general not specific)can be thoughtless and unthinking in situations where they speak just to fill an empty void in space. It's meant to be an overture but ends up with a foot in the mouth.

In these situations, I try very hard to remember that their thoughtlessness does not mean I have to make the same mistake. So, I try and keep my cool and find a short gracious way to end the conversation. I know it can be exasperating.

Good luck!

This morning I asked my neighbor if it was too personal to ask how her husband had lost his leg after she mentioned he had done dry wall prior to losing it. She did not mind. Indelicacy is abundant out there as is rudenss and thoughtlessness. Like asking someone when the babies due if you are ot certain they are pregnant. When in doubt don't. I think I heard that on Oprah.

I remember having my very pregnant belly molested by a strange woman at the supermarket and being shocked at the liberties she took. Even if she had asked, I don't think I would have allowed that. I am going to be certain to weigh my words closely, particularly when I am in one of those stages where my foot wants to be in my mouth. I am not usually short-tempered but I can be if I get moody and I can get moody. I also want to vent frustrations on other than my family. Apologizing gets tiresome if ill temper occurs too often. Love is an action verb and needs be attached to kindness even during PMS or major stress.

I can be rather passive and how I react is based on that. Pent up resentment can cause aggressiveness though and I occasionally get feisty as Waterlily did when she'd heard that question one too many times. A am capble of using language that cuts like a knife and words do hurt and the hurt lingers. I read recently that resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die. The trick is to deal with it without going for the juglar and being made to feel bad about oneself. It all comes back to being kind even when angry and that's hard to do. Being the better man, what fun is that? :D But revenge is often bitter, not sweet and can be more damaging to the avenger.

Having personal boundaries is important and letting them be known is an art. I love these discussions. They help me be a better communicator and to guage how I am doing out there in the real world.

Waterlily:
I had the same experience as Maggie in that having 4 children seemed to be everyone else's business! My kids were healthy loved and well taken care of, and yet mere acquaintances and complete strangers would feel free to comment on what a large family we had or how we were not "environmentally conscious". On top of that my children are half asian/hawaiian and people would ask me (especially with one very dark haired daugther) where I "got" her!
There will always be rude people in the world. Sorry.
I feel if a couple choses not to have kids and they are making what they feel is the best decision for THEM..they should be commended.
Good luck and try to take the high road.

Paula

Wow! When did this topic come up? I go to my in-laws for dinner and see what I miss!!

The way I see it, everyone one of us has put our foot in our mouth somewhere along the line, so I can't really fault someone for asking a personal question of a stranger, nor can I fault you Waterlily for an abrupt response. We've all done that. It happens.

Personally as a child-free by choice, I am not bothered so much by the initial question as I am by the attempt to change my mind, which almost inevitably follows. I certainly don't mind explaining my reasons, but when people try to convince me that I am wrong, well, that bugs me. I'm 37 (almost), educated, have lived in the world, and know my own mind. I don't need strangers managing my life. Enough said on that. :)

For those who have big families, wow, how rude for people to comment!! I love the idea of a big family with everyone living on top of each other. Good for you.

As for the posters who said they are tired of being disrupted by kids in the supermarket, please, add the movie theatre, the bookstore, the restaurant, almost any public place to that comment. It perplexes me because most of the parents I know - and alot of the moms here I think - wouldn't put up with that, but it seems every time DH and I try to have some time out we have to endure unruly children. I'm not talking about babies but kids who are old enough to know better, like the 8/9 year old who was bouncing a basketball in the Barnes and Noble cafe the other day. His mom just sat there. I really don't get it. :( Do the parents out there feel the same way?

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

As for the posters who said they are tired of being disrupted by kids in the supermarket, please, add the movie theatre, the bookstore, the restaurant, almost any public place to that comment. It perplexes me because most of the parents I know - and alot of the moms here I think - wouldn't put up with that, but it seems every time DH and I try to have some time out we have to endure unruly children. I'm not talking about babies but kids who are old enough to know better, like the 8/9 year old who was bouncing a basketball in the Barnes and Noble cafe the other day. His mom just sat there. I really don't get it. Do the parents out there feel the same way?

Sparrow,
I have 3 kids and would never have dreamed of subjecting others to their tantrums, crying, or just plain disruptive behavior. They are now teens. I was studying earlier at Barnes & Noble today (where lots of people go to study) and my teenage daughter's cell phone rang. I immediately told her to take it outside. Of course while she was outside someone elses child (7 or 8 yrs old) that was running around unsupervised ran into my table knocking over my coffee on my chemistry bookx( . the boys mother came over when she heard her son crying and asked him in spanish "why are you crying, what did the white lady do to make you cry?" In spanish I told her he ran into my table which spilled cofee on my $110.00 chemistry book. She was quite surprised to hear me respond in spanish. She told me I should be studying in a library and not a bookstore.

I am really amazed at how some parents think that everything their child does is really cute regardless of how obnoxious or loud they are and then become indignat when they see that others don't share their joy. I love my kids dearly but there have been many times when I certainly understood why mothers in the animal kingdom sometimes eat their young:p
claudia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.