Delusion, or right where I need to be?

morningstar

Cathlete
Folks, I am feeling like maybe I am overtraining- a few minor injuries, fairly constant small illnesses, that kind of thing. I wanted your opinion, not just as to whether I am overtraining, but if so, how and where I should cut back. I really don't want to overtrain, but truly, my rotation seems reasonable to me and I don't know if I am deluded or on track. Here's my current rotation for 1 week (I stretch after each cardio and strength session):

Monday: 60 minute sprint intervals mixed with walking
50 minute slower walk

Tuesday: 60 minute sprint intervals mixed with walking
50 minute slower walk
60-120 minutes strength circuit (chest/back/abs)

Wednesday: 60 minutes power walking
50 minute slower walk

Thursday: 60 minute sprint intervals mixed with walking
50 minute slower walk
60-120 minutes strength circuit (legs, calves, biceps, abs)

Friday: 60 minute sprint intervals mixed with walking
50 minute slower walk

Saturday: 60-120 minutes strength/cardio circuit (triceps, abs)

Sunday: 60-120 minutes strength/cardio circuit (legs, calves, shoulders, abs)

Looks like it could be a bit much, but maybe I'm just jealous I don't have that much time to workout!:p

I'm with Kate! It does look like a lot, but I don't have that kind of time either! ;) Maybe you're doing too much of the intervals? Are you running those? I can't see that much walking being a problem. Perhaps you should trim a couple of your interval days to 30 mins. It doesn't look like you're overtraining in the weight/strength area. Are you taking a rest day? I didn't count how many workout days you have. :eek: Oops! Of course, you could take a few days of rest (do yoga, pilates or really rest) every few weeks. That might be all you need.

Just an idea!

I don't really take complete do-nothing rest days more than a few times a year- if I need a break, I will turn one of the sprint interval runs into power walking, or regular walking. And yes, the sprints are running.

I don't really take complete do-nothing rest days more than a few times a year- if I need a break, I will turn one of the sprint interval runs into power walking, or regular walking. And yes, the sprints are running.

Wow! I wish I had your stamina! :) I need one rest day a week! We will usually do something fun like biking or swimming, or take the pups climbing, etc.

I'm becoming an addict to running! I love the CC intervals and have to be careful not to do too much! I do feel it the next day in my old age! :eek:

Well, try that and see if it helps. Sometimes just a little tweak can make all the difference! At least until you start feeling like these little issues are resolving!

Hi Morningstar - Yes, you are overtraining. It shows in your schedule and you are displaying classic symptoms. Is it correct that you're working out 2-4 hours per day? IMO, that's not reasonable, unless you're training for the Olympics.

My advice, knock this down to 4x per week for no more than an hour each day and see how you feel. Cuz really, how you feel is what really matters. ;)

Morningstar,

I agree with Gayle. You are doing too much! I LOVE to workout too but everyone has limits. Try taking at least 1 rest day a week and cutting down the rest of your workouts to 60-90 minutes.

Another in agreement with overtraining. You are spending way too much time a day and in the end, it is a waste of time. You will reach the benefit at a certain point and beyond that, your body is just being tortured. Secondly, you will either become burned out and/or injured/sick and have to stop completely. Your body needs to recover. I have no doubt that if you cut back, you will see more benefits and your body will thank you. What is your goal with all of this?

Also, maybe try cutting down the sprints/HIIT to 20-30 minutes once or twice a week. Just my opinion but 60 minutes of sprints - that's intense!

I think you are overtraining too. Your body needs rest days too!
Many trainers say to change up your routine every 6 weeks or so but that doesn't necessarily mean workout longer, add more and more weight, add more intensity etc. Sometimes less is more.
I've been doing Cathe and others workouts an hour more or less each morning. Sometimes when I start feeling burnt out I cut back to 40 minute workouts, use lighter weights etc and take more rest days during the week. It rests the body and refreshes the mind. Then after a month or so of that change up again. You won't lose any fitness-you actually may find you come back feeling stronger and your body is rested so you can up your intensity.

Definitely looks like overtraining. I did a quick calculation and if we assume you do 120 minutes on your 60-120 minute workouts, you are working out an average of 2.5 hrs/day, 7 days/week. There are 2 days a week when you work out for up to 4 hours! I think this is okay once in a while, but twice a week is too too much.

Amy

I would like to lose 20lbs of body fat, maintain muscle, and not have to eat a low-calorie diet to do it.

Well, the good news is that you don't have to eat a low-calorie diet to do this. Actually in the long run, low-calorie will have the opposite effect.

I would start by dialing your workout schedule waaaay back, eating clean, include lots of good fats (DO NOT DO LOW FAT), and get good sleep. You will see improvements doing this.

Repeat after me: more is not better, more is not better, more is not better. ;)

Seriously, based on what you posted about chronic small illness, it sounds like your immune system is getting very, very stressed. You need to address that before the small illnesses become a big one.

Hope this helps.

I would like to lose 20lbs of body fat, maintain muscle, and not have to eat a low-calorie diet to do it.

I hear ya on this one. Right now I could benefit from losing 20-30#. I've been overtraining too and my weight has been going up, up, up. I've tried to do the eat 5-6 mini meals add flax, wheat germ, protien powders etc. eat healthier foods, logging my meals on MFP. Honestly, I've just been obsessing about food I've put on 30# since 2004.
So this past month I started going back and doing some of my old Firm workouts with lighter weights, I've stopped logging my food and I'm not doing the 6 meals per day. Let's just say for me, being super strict with myself has not been working for me. I've giving myself permission to ease up on myself.

When I was in my 20's I did all the 'wrong' things like never ate breakfast, I usually ate just twice a day, lunch and dinner. and I always weighed between 115-125#. And this is what I've been doing for the past few weeks and I've lost 5#. And I feel better and lighter. And I've even been naughty and enjoyed some not so healthy food choices.

I'm not saying you should do what i'm doing-just saying if what you are doing is not working, do something else. There's that saying "If you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got" something like that.

Last edited:
YMMV, but that defiinitely looks like too much to me, especially the long interval workouts back-to-back. Almost every day looks like 2 days worth of workouts!

Why do you feel the need to workout that much?

It looks like you're trying to push yourself to your limits, and eventually something's got to give.

It actually might be counterproductive, because, in addition to overtraining symptoms (fatigue, lowered immune response, etc.) you are creating stress that could lead your body to go into calorie conservation mode, and creating lots of stress hormones like cortisol that cause the body to hold onto fat (especially belly fat).

The first 'fix' I'd recommend is taking at least 3 days COMPLETELY OFF except for gentle stretching or hatha yoga (no power yoga).

Then, get back into your routine by cutting each session in 1/2 (for example, day one do the interval run, but not the walk, or vice versa). Also, schedule intervals/sprints so they don't end up on back-to-back days. Maybe do more walking than running for now. And schedule one day (maybe 2 for now, when you're in somewhat of a recovery mode?) of rest/recovery each week (this can include stretching or maybe core work, but nothing strenuous).

Last edited:
Your're Delusional !

Ha! LOL
:D
Just kiddin'

I think your inner athlete likes this challenge, and of course you enjoy the endorphins, plus it keeps the bats out of the belfry.

I think you should just change it up, like two HIIT days (20-30 workout/all sprints), two interval day (40-60 minutes), one steady state day (40-60minutes). I know steady state bores you, but after the first twenty minutes or so the mind drops into a meditative state and it is good.

Every four to six weeks, take a week off from lifting and running and do something else for a week, remember how you benefited from the down time while on your hiking trip?

Is there a way you can re-work the schedule so that you have a rest day between lifting? The back to back lifting is what seems to be the most fatiguing, especially since you lift so heavy. ETA: oops, never mind, I re-looked at the schedule...that doesn't seem so bad after all with ABs/Tri's together.

Last edited:
Yep - ypu're overtraining

Folks, I am feeling like maybe I am overtraining- a few minor injuries, fairly constant small illnesses, that kind of thing. I wanted your opinion, not just as to whether I am overtraining, but if so, how and where I should cut back. I really don't want to overtrain, but truly, my rotation seems reasonable to me and I don't know if I am deluded or on track. Here's my current rotation for 1 week (I stretch after each cardio and strength session):

50 minute slower walk

50 minute slower walk

50 minute slower walk

50 minute slower walk

50 minute slower walk

1) You don't seem to allowing yourself a rest day - you MUST do that every week!
2) I don't see any cross training as far as your cardio is concerned - maybe mix some bike rides in between you run/walk/sprints
3) 110 minutes of running & walking is an awful lot - 5 days of cardio 40 minutes max will produce great results
4) You can cut back on your strength training to 3 days a week, 30 minutes max

IMHO, you're doing way too much of everything! You don't have to go on a "low calorie diet" to lose weight - keep a food journal & you'll be able to see that you could cut back on calories easily - check out the Eat This Not That Books for painless calorie cutting.

Adding to say that protein powders are just excess calories - ditch that like right now - they are expensive and a total waste. There are better and cheaper ways of getting protein - most people get too much.

Last edited:
50 minute slower walk

50 minute slower walk

50 minute slower walk

50 minute slower walk

50 minute slower walk

Proof is in the pudding: illnesses, nagging injuries. Yes, you are over training. I am in complete agreement with the last few posters. I am not jealous that you have more time to work out. I think you need to train smarter, not for so long at all. Then use the extra time for enriching other areas of your life. There is far more to life and a healthy life than constant exercise.

I suggest the following:

1) reduce the sprint intervals to 30 mins session twice per week, on non-consecutive days, i.e., Mon and Fri. The body needs to rest after interval training. By doing the same workout Mon and Tues, you are not allowing your body to heal and repair itself. The result: injuries. After these sprints, you could extend the session with an additional 30 min walk to stretch out the legs, enjoy the scenery, etc, but bear in mind that after your sprint intervals, your cardio conditioning for the day is done, so any additional exercise is only beneficial to the mind, the body doesn't need it.

2) Do the extended powerwalk on Weds, 60-90 mins. Include variety of speed drills and hill drills for variety and also hill/incline work excellent for glutes, hamstrings, etc.

3) Reduce length of Tues weights session to 60 mins, that's long enough to work chest/back and core.

4) Thurs: 60 mins again should be enough to work legs/glutes/biceps/core.

5) Sat: rest day. Do nothing. Really.

6) Sun: longer weights day, 90 mins max. Legs/shldrs/triceps/core.

This new routine cuts down the total time you are exercising, gives you a much needed rest day, and still hits all cardio and strength training targets. You do not need more than this. It is more than entirely possible that weight will start to come off with better nutrition and more rest. Once this starts working for you, you can tweak the schedule more to give yourself an additional day off per week. Seriously, there is so much more to life than what resembles a punishing exercise regime.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.