Deadlifts confusion

elly1979

Hi everyone :)

I'm doing my 1rm tests for STS. I am confused about deadlifts, disc 2. Here are my two questions:

1. The pdf lists the classic deadlift, exercise # 108 (with barbell). But in the online workout manager, this exercise isn't in the list, while dumbbell deadlifts are. Is the #108 on disc 2?

2. More confusing to me is the video for #108 deadlifts. I had assumed it would be a "classic" deadlift form, similar to this:

http://youtu.be/WP8lEbeY4LM

(Where you sort of squat down, knees bent, to lift the bar. Knees bending in various points of the move is an integral part of the move, versus the form I saw in video #108, which looks straight-legged)

#108 deadlifts look very similar to stiff-legged deadlifts that come later in STS. Can anyone clarify form on this one, and its difference from stiff-legged form? I noticed most of my DOMS from doing #108 were in hamstrings/behind knee as opposed to lower back and traps.

Thank you! :)
Elly

Hi,

Before I attempt answering your question, I would suggest you view STS tutorial on cathe's website for form and pointers on deadlift.

If you have STS option rack pack you can get pointers by viewing the dvd. old program such as muscle max, power hours and CTX contain loads of form and pointers. Another option would be to ask cathe when she has got a chance.

1. It could be an error that the exercise is listed with barbell while the actual exercise is performed with Dumbbell. JMO

2. The move on the youtube vid is the deadlift as performed by power lifters. cathe's program are designed for home exerciser working out through music. Most of the moves are performed following the rhythm/tempo. IMO the Traditional deadlift move would *not *be recommended to home exerciser for safety reason. Also the move can not, IMO be performed on a continuous, smooth, fuild manner to match the tempo/rythm of the music. The weight is way to high to be performed at home. The exerciser would need pairing/assistance with/from someone to check posture, form. The deadlift performed by cathe expose the exerciser to less risk of injury.

Just to add STS total program does contain the traditional power deadlift. If you get to visit this program you will notice there is no pause. The fact that there is no pause does not affect the effectiveness of the move.

Hope this help,

All the very best with STS,

Last edited:

I'm doing my 1rm tests for STS. I am confused about deadlifts, disc 2. Here are my two questions:

1. The pdf lists the classic deadlift, exercise # 108 (with barbell). But in the online workout manager, this exercise isn't in the list, while dumbbell deadlifts are. Is the #108 on disc 2?

2. More confusing to me is the video for #108 deadlifts. I had assumed it would be a "classic" deadlift form, similar to this:

(Where you sort of squat down, knees bent, to lift the bar. Knees bending in various points of the move is an integral part of the move, versus the form I saw in video #108, which looks straight-legged)

#108 deadlifts look very similar to stiff-legged deadlifts that come later in STS. Can anyone clarify form on this one, and its difference from stiff-legged form? I noticed most of my DOMS from doing #108 were in hamstrings/behind knee as opposed to lower back and traps.

Elly
Thanks for the useful post )

Elly
If I'm not mistaken, Cathe deadlifts are basically deep RDLs (Romanian Deadlifts), not 'Conventional Deadlifts'. She starts the reps at the top and doesn't touch down between reps. I recently had some confusion about this, too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.