Do Squats and Deadlifts Make One Blocky? Bret Contreras Weighs In...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion? I suppose it's POSSIBLE that one could get a blocky midsection from very heavily-weighted squats and deadlifts. That would also require a genetic predisposition to putting on weight in the midsection and eating enough to allow such "block". However, considering that few exercises train the hamstrings - a seriously under-trained body part in many women who haven't lifted weights regularly - like the deadlift does, I'd personally be willing to take the gamble. (Who wants knee pain due to under-developed hamstrings?)

As for squats...This is the one movement all of us will need to be able to do well until the day we die, unless we'd like to be dependent upon others for constant assistance in our old age. I don't care how "blocky" I'd get, I won't give up doing squats. I do a few deep, unweighted squats daily on top of my other training.

For anyone who believes weight-training, squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc., are going to hurt everyone by creating an unappealing body type, I ask them to do just one thing. Go to a nursing home. See the poor people who can no longer go to the bathroom, walk down the hall, sit up in a wheelchair, or lift themselves up in bed. It's the most heartbreaking thing to view. Understand that muscle (and bone) loss is the reason why many of these people lost those abilities younger people can take for granted. Is it worth it? Ask yourself if becoming blocky, even assuming it was a sure thing to happen, is a worse fate than ending up helpless. I realize there are exceptions to every rule, and that weight-training does not automatically prevent the body's decay, but it sure doesn't hurt the odds. This isn't political, this is real life. Aging is beautiful. Frailty is not.

(Cathe, thank you for inspiring myself and many other women to lift weights and stay strong over a lifetime!)

http://bretcontreras.com/squats-and-deadlifts-wont-make-your-waist-blocky/

My opinion? I suppose it's POSSIBLE that one could get a blocky midsection from very heavily-weighted squats and deadlifts. That would also require a genetic predisposition to putting on weight in the midsection and eating enough to allow such "block". However, considering that few exercises train the hamstrings - a seriously under-trained body part in many women who haven't lifted weights regularly - like the deadlift does, I'd personally be willing to take the gamble. (Who wants knee pain due to under-developed hamstrings?)

As for squats...This is the one movement all of us will need to be able to do well until the day we die, unless we'd like to be dependent upon others for constant assistance in our old age. I don't care how "blocky" I'd get, I won't give up doing squats. I do a few deep, unweighted squats daily on top of my other training.

For anyone who believes weight-training, squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc., are going to hurt everyone by creating an unappealing body type, I ask them to do just one thing. Go to a nursing home. See the poor people who can no longer go to the bathroom, walk down the hall, sit up in a wheelchair, or lift themselves up in bed. It's the most heartbreaking thing to view. Understand that muscle (and bone) loss is the reason why many of these people lost those abilities younger people can take for granted. Is it worth it? Ask yourself if becoming blocky, even assuming it was a sure thing to happen, is a worse fate than ending up helpless. I realize there are exceptions to every rule, and that weight-training does not automatically prevent the body's decay, but it sure doesn't hurt the odds. This isn't political, this is real life. Aging is beautiful. Frailty is not.

(Cathe, thank you for inspiring myself and many other women to lift weights and stay strong over a lifetime!)
A
http://bretcontreras.com/squats-and-deadlifts-wont-make-your-waist-blocky/
Amen!!!

So sensibly put.
My Mom became quite solid around the back area after 52/53 (and her legs became shorter?), so I'm sure that's how my body will mature as well. Do you know who the strongest individual in my family is? The one who will lift, push, pull, open, shift and move anything that the rest of us moan about? My Mom!! :p

Thanks Turquoise eyes for sharing Bret articles.

Despite all this controversy around Bret Contreras, he is competent and aim to back up his article with studies. So does FitnessRxwomen and men! One can argue FitnessRxwomen does promote enhanced chests:p:p. My opinion is as long as it is backed up with some knowledgeable studies and facts, that is fine by me. Not everyone opinion or cup of tea!

There are other knowledgeable source of information in other magasine too!:):)

Last edited:
Do you know who the strongest individual in my family is? The one who will lift, push, pull, open, shift and move anything that the rest of us moan about? My Mom!! :p

Well said Elsie, It takes a strong mental/mind to just do it instead of highlighted above---MOANING:p:p

It's all in the mind:)

Last edited:
In the comments Bret wrote:
I don’t have my bikini competitors do abs. They look incredible when they diet down…no need for additional hypertrophy. However, if I train athletes, I definitely have them performing core stability exercises.

Personally, I'd rather be able to do hanging leg raises and risk a 'blocky midsection' anyday. Luckily, I'm not trying to appeal to Bret and his idea of what women should look like (I'm a bit past trying to attract a mate!!!!)

Right, I'm off to RKC Plank!

In the comments Bret wrote:
I don’t have my bikini competitors do abs. They look incredible when they diet down…no need for additional hypertrophy. However, if I train athletes, I definitely have them performing core stability exercises.

Personally, I'd rather be able to do hanging leg raises and risk a 'blocky midsection' anyday. Luckily, I'm not trying to appeal to Bret and his idea of what women should look like (I'm a bit past trying to attract a mate!!!!)

Right, I'm off to RKC Plank!

I think most of us have been doing ab work for as long as we have been working out. Haven't heard of anybody complaining of a blocky midsection because of ab work. I will be doing hanging leg raises and planks later today. I agree with Justine, not looking for a mate.

Last edited:
I think most of us have been doing ab work for as long as we have been working out. Haven't heard of anybody complain of a blocky midsection because of ab work. I will be doing hanging leg raises and planks later today. I agree with Justine, not looking for a mate.

I have heard some women say that ALL abdominal work (whether weighted or bodyweight-only) makes them blocky, but have never seen any evidence to prove it's true regarding the unweighted kind. To me, such comments are purely anecdotal and seem more based in phobia than truth. (However, I could be wrong.) Now when it comes to weighted abdominal work, I don't have much experience beyond a 5 or 10 lb. dumbbell held on the chest for ab crunches (a move in one workout DVD I own), or using a medicine ball. I don't know if that counts...but I've never noticed any bulking up from that in the least. My "bulking" usually comes in the form of chocolate or some other luscious treat. ;)

I do ab work 3-5x a week, also lifting & doing cardio 3x a week each. Have lost 11 inches or so in my waist since beginning to exercise 14 months ago, and am down 10 to 14 dress sizes (depending on the garment). My waist is already my trimmer area by nature. I can't help but laugh when people say weights, or yoga, or Pilates, or running make one bulk up. Or if they lift more than 3 lbs. (WTH?) Where we put on or keep on fat AND muscle, or how well we keep either one on seems more determined by a combo of genes, diet, early exposure (or not) to exercise, and even bacteria in the gut. Of course, exercise helps us change shape to a degree- weights seem to be best at this.

Some of the anti-training advice I hear out there seems to be scientifically unfounded. I doubt VERY highly that someone can really bulk up their genetically trim midsection via some hanging leg raises or doing squats. Even if one is prone to hold weight in the midsection, strengthening the entire core would seem to me a wise decision in order to fire up the muscles, and help prevent fat gain in that area later on in life. I simply don't see the logic in avoiding training in an area of the body to avoid "bulking". To me, wouldn't training that area MORE often make sense, if it's a weak spot?

If doing weighted ab work makes a person stronger, prevents injuries, heals back pain, or has other really obvious benefits...I don't know. Isn't that worth any extra inch or two of muscle on the waistline? No smacking me upside the head, anyone. I'm just sayin'. :)

Last edited:
I have heard women say that, but have never seen any evidence to prove it's true. To me, such comments are purely anecdotal and seem more based in phobia than truth. (However, I could be wrong.)

I have read this thread with a lot of interest:):):) I have heard of this complain in social media.
Turquoise eyes I 100% agree with your sentence above.

This "looking blocky" phobia goes IMO hand in hand with the "looking bulky" myth.
Mind you both words just differ by one vowell from the spelling point of vue!:D:D

Bret does not ab train his bikini competitor for reason. They need to keep the midsection
less muscular compared to figures or physiques! competitions requirements being different,
training protocol need to be designed accordingly.

As to me personally, I am happy to embrace any challenge abs, weighted russian twist
leg raise, reverse crunches etc.... My body tend to hold onto the feminine curves/hourglass therefore this phobia does
rarely cross my mind! Especially knowing I have tiny endomorphism.

As to squat and deadlift, they offer one of the most enjoyable way to work my core.
I like the way they work stabilizers. Front squat bring a feeling i would describe as if my core were
wrapped in a corset:p:p. As I am travelling up and down it feels as someone was pulling those laces!
Those squat and deadlift have definely left a mark on my midsection.This motivates me.
I am not giving this up for sure!

:)

I have read this thread with a lot of interest:):):) I have heard of this complain in social media.
Turquoise eyes I 100% agree with your sentence above.

This "looking blocky" phobia goes IMO hand in hand with the "looking bulky" myth.
Mind you both words just differ by one vowell from the spelling point of vue!:D:D

Bret does not ab train his bikini competitor for reason. They need to keep the midsection
less muscular compared to figures or physiques! competitions requirements being different,
training protocol need to be designed accordingly.

As to me personally, I am happy to embrace any challenge abs, weighted russian twist
leg raise, reverse crunches etc.... My body tend to hold onto the feminine curves/hourglass therefore this phobia does
rarely cross my mind! Especially knowing I have tiny endomorphism.

As to squat and deadlift, they offer one of the most enjoyable way to work my core.
I like the way they work stabilizers. Front squat bring a feeling i would describe as if my core were
wrapped in a corset:p:p. As I am travelling up and down it feels as someone was pulling those laces!
Those squat and deadlift have definely left a mark on my midsection.This motivates me.
I am not giving this up for sure!

:)

Yes, I acknowledge I'm an hourglass shape, not a mesomorph, and am young enough that my mid-section isn't (yet!) affected by menopausal changes to fat retention in that area. I can see muscle shape changes fairly quickly, but to put on muscle SIZE there? For me that would be a serious challenge. Now, my arms or quads or calves? Those can get bigger with a bit more ease, but not what I would consider (muscle) "bulk".

However, fat? Gained easily! Sigh. There's my personal "bulking" problem. I don't worry much about that, though. I train hard, try to train smart, eat healthy, enjoy good habits, and have fun in my workouts and life. I am not the fitness competitor type, but I certainly respect anyone who chooses that path.

I LOVE deadlifts. Call me kooky. I like floorwork a lot. I enjoy exercise, period. I know what you mean about that "corset" feeling. It's partly why I adore matwork. I love that sensation of tightening in the muscles of my torso and core. A good tightening up of the abs, thighs, and glutes.

I love visible muscle. There was this breathtaking adult female gymnast photographed in Oxygen mag awhile back. She didn't have that little 1900's sucked-in waist, but a torso (front and back) with beautiful core muscles fully developed. She had this crazy strong body. It was amazing to behold. She was still "small". However, her muscularity was gorgeous, one of the most balanced bodies I've seen in strength and flexibility. That's inspiring to me, a lifetime of training for peak fitness. far more than any 5th Ave. marketing campaign about "getting tiny" could ever be.

Thanks Turquoise eyes for sharing Bret articles.

Despite all this controversy around Bret Contreras, he is competent and aim to back up his article with studies. So does FitnessRxwomen and men! One can argue FitnessRxwomen does promote enhanced chests:p:p. My opinion is as long as it is backed up with some knowledgeable studies and facts, that is fine by me. Not everyone opinion or cup of tea!

There are other knowledgeable source of information in other magasine too!:):)

Bret is definitely a science nut, and I respect his dedication to research. As for his personal viewpoints on women's body parts...well, that's where he and I would be arguing nonstop. I'll say this much, and then I'll hush. If a man is only with a woman for her body (however beautiful it might be), there's an issue. What if the woman lost a limb or something in an accident? Became disabled and could no longer work out? Had an accident where she got a bunch of scars on her legs or arms? I feel sorry for people that accept spouses who are only interested in their looks. Physical attraction is naturally part of any equation in a romantic relationship, but there has to be underlying love between the two not based on outer appearance. I wouldn't accept anyone as a mate who won't love me as I am, and who doesn't love me as much or more than how I look. That is just my opinion, not everyone will agree, and I don't claim to be all-knowing. However, I hate to see women base their value (solely) on their looks.

I do believe Bret - however unintentionally - may add to the body obsession and dissatisfaction of some women who follow his blog. That is based on what I've read of their comments. The way he talked about Megan Fox (a beautiful lady), that because her rear wasn't perfect, she was a "disappointment"- absurd. The Barbie Doll figure push I've seen and heard on there at times- disturbing, sorry. The tirade he went on (photos included) of women whom he thought had too well-developed hams in proportion to their buns? Ridiculous! (Come on, Bret. Make comments as intelligent as the scientific research that you delve into, bud.) His opinion is just that- his viewpoint. Not the gospel truth. He doesn't necessarily represent every male's thoughts about a woman, but he can act and speak as if he is representative of all men. Not so. I sincerely hope that every Cathlete loves their body for what it is and what it can do in the present. Every Cathlete should be proud of themselves just as they are today. It's wonderful to have goals and to want evolution. I believe there's a good balance between ambition and contentment we can all reach. That's my sermon for the day, so I will now curtsy and scoot. :)

So sensibly put.
My Mom became quite solid around the back area after 52/53 (and her legs became shorter?), so I'm sure that's how my body will mature as well. Do you know who the strongest individual in my family is? The one who will lift, push, pull, open, shift and move anything that the rest of us moan about? My Mom!! :p

My great-grandmother was tough as nails, flexible as a yogi, and strong as an ox. She lived to age 89, remaining sharp as a tack. Always had razor-sharp wit, the memory of an elephant, and extraordinary language skills. She could play piano like Jerry Lee Lewis without even looking at the keys. I adored Granny.

Here was her weekly clothes-washing routine: Brought laundry down to a basement that was unheated in winter, un-AC'ed in summer, one light overhead. Wooden stairs with no railing. Washed small items on a washboard and larger items in a wringer washer, with water approx. 190 degrees (which took upper body strength galore). Squeezed all excess water out of clothes by hand. (No washing machine with an agitator or spin cycle. Fun times, right?) Hauled wet laundry back up steep wooden stairs with no railing. Brought all laundry out to a clothesline that was way up on a hill outside. Shook out and hung up every piece up while all was still wet. Took all laundry back down, climbed with it downhill, took it indoors and sorted it by person or household area where item was used. Ironed every single piece- handkerchiefs (no Kleenex back then), fitted sheets, flat sheets, pillowcases, towels, shirts, pants, and even the underwear for her husband, herself, and four children. Oh yeah, then she had to put it all away! She did this into her sixties, BTW.

Is it any wonder that generation (she was born in 1913) had so little obesity, and also seemed to be less hunched over in old age than the aging office workers of today?

Physical attraction is naturally part of any equation in a romantic relationship, but there has to be underlying love between the two not based on outer appearance. I wouldn't accept anyone as a mate who won't love me as I am, and who doesn't love me as much or more than how I look. That is just my opinion, not everyone will agree, and I don't claim to be all-knowing. However, I hate to see women base their value (solely) on their looks.

I agree with you on this...It works both ways.
Being attracted to someone, for me, is not solely based on the physical appearance.
There must be more than just a cute face and/or defined physique:)

Hi Cathe and Cathletes! This is my first post on the forum so kudos for promoting strength training for women. We're on the same team I promise. I was notified about this thread by Google alerts so I decided to join the forum and chime in.

@TurquoiseEyes - did you read the article you linked? The entire article is about how squats and deadlifts WILL NOT make people blockier. It's even the title of the article??? There's another article I wrote on the topic that's very similar here:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/is-your-ab-workout-making-you-look-fat
(T-Nation changes the article titles and edits our articles, so please know that this was not my choice of wording).

So I DON'T think that squats/deads will make women appear blocky, but I DO think that ab/oblique training in some circumstances can.

In the article I linked above, you'll notice a picture of a woman by the name of Andrea Galea toward the bottom of the article - she emailed me to inform me that she'd gained 4 inches around her waist via high frequency, heavy abdominal/oblique training. She was under the impression that this training would reduce the size of her midsection, but instead it increased it. She was frustrated and disappointed. I have heard similar stories from several women over the years. I may write another blogpost about this as I don't feel that T-Nation did that portion justice.

As a personal trainer, I tailor each of my client's training toward their goals and their physiology/biomechanics. Every once in a while, I have to omit certain exercises when a woman complains to me about a certain muscle becoming too big for their liking. If I had my clients do weighted ab work four times per week for an entire year with an emphasis on setting PRs/progressive overload, my guess is that half of the ladies would love the way they looked and the other half would feel that their abdominals/obliques were becoming too muscular for their liking. For this reason, I'm not highly concerned with progressive abdominal/oblique training for female physique clients. For female strength clients or athletes, then I'd prioritize core strength to a greater degree, but I mostly train physique clients. Basically, it always depends on the client.

I believe that women focused mostly on strength and not physique should not bash women who are focused mostly on physique and not strength, and vice versa. Male powerlifters and bodybuilders have been going after each other for decades but they seem to be more comfortable around each other in the past several years.

My sincere apologies to anyone I've offended over the years in my writing; sometimes I don't come across well online.

Last edited:
Bret, welcome, and thank you for replying. It takes a brave man to face us lot!!!! I appreciate you saying that you don't come over so well online. It can come across as objectifying women. I hope you don't mean to do that.....
We're a mixed bunch here, and we generally respect others' goals - whether they be fitness or aesthetic ones. I'd say we're mostly focused on being as healthy as possible, though.

So Glad you chimed in and clarified your opinion about this "blocky issue". For me it is much clear in my understanding now.

Yes I already heard about excessive frequency for weighted oblique exercises.
From various source it can thicken the body part.

As to us as bunch here, yes we strive to a balance training. Some are solely looking to improve their aesthetic and others
are aiming to improve both.

I believe that women focused mostly on strength and not physique should not bash women who are focused mostly on physique and not strength, and vice versa.

Your quote above is spot on true. It does happen among fitness enthusiast too.

In my opinion if nutrition is balanced/clean and the training is delivered safely, there is a health benefit
pursuing any of the goals mentioned above. I am just pointing out from a fitness enthusiasm point of vue.
Competition requiring a lot more, i would not comment much about it.

I hope you could chime in regarding glute training. You haven't come across well often.
For me personally I admire the amount of work on the subject. I will carry on reading your articles
regardless of controversy.:):)

Kind Regardds,

As a personal trainer, I tailor each of my client's training toward their goals and their physiology/biomechanics.

Question to Bret: Would you mind posting link of article on biomechanism? How it impact on the execution of both
deadlift and squat. I can recall vaguely an article of yours discussing about ball sockets.

Last edited:
It can come across as objectifying women. I hope you don't mean to do that.....
Of course I don't mean to do that. When I first started blogging, every picture I embedded was of a scantily clad woman in a bikini showing off her glutes. These days I don't do that very often...usually only to show off a client's results. I've had past blogposts that upset people and I've learned from the experiences. I also try to clarify when I write articles when I am referring to those with solely physique goals versus solely strength goals, as the training necessarily differs with the minority of women who build muscle easily. Hopefully my efforts will be more noticeable in time.

Question to Bret: Would you mind posting link of article on biomechanism? How it impact on the execution of both
deadlift and squat. I can recall vaguely an article of yours discussing about ball sockets.

Here are two videos that I think you'd enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5WhWu1g080 (Lumbopelvic Hip Complex Biomechanics During Squats, Deadlifts, Hip Thrusts, etc.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fN3NhZ5Ifc (Biomechanics of "Buttwink" in a Squat)

Of course I don't mean to do that. When I first started blogging, every picture I embedded was of a scantily clad woman in a bikini showing off her glutes. These days I don't do that very often...usually only to show off a client's results. I've had past blogposts that upset people and I've learned from the experiences. I also try to clarify when I write articles when I am referring to those with solely physique goals versus solely strength goals, as the training necessarily differs with the minority of women who build muscle easily. Hopefully my efforts will be more noticeable in time.

Thank you very much Bret...With social media your efforts will be more noticeable:):):)
Social media enable reaching the globe!. I am in Europe following and reading your stuff.
I am sure I am not the only one:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.