DAUNTING STS

skatch

Cathlete
Ok I have done STS once a couple years ago and thinking of giving it a whirl again. But these are my hangups:
-Ughh, one rep max testing...
-I can barely do pushups from my toes and the first Mesocycle has a million push ups.
-The chinups...I don't have the Cathe tower and I didn't find the tubing that effective.
-I have a barbell, but do not have a rack and I find it awkward and hard to get the barbell up behind my head for squats. My biceps and shoulders need much lower weights for some of the barbell exercises...thinking dumbbells would be more appropriate.
-I only have dumbbells up to 25lbs...I think I might need to get some heavier ones for legs as the program progresses.
-3 days a week for 3.5 months...the first time I kinda got sick of it by meso3. and some of the workouts are long.

How about just starting at Meso 2 - skipping the push ups and shortening the series? Also a weighted vest (I have a weighted belt that I LOVE - bought cheaply from a diving shop) and a pull up bar are good investments.
Hope you find something that works for you!
Justine

1) I did the 1 rep max test once. Gave it about 80% effort. But, I got the numbers I needed and then I adjusted accordingly as I went through the program. I wrote down the weights I used that challenged me. And, for the most part, I use the same weights every time I do STS.

2) It's a lot of push ups - not really. There's only about 16 reps at varying tempos. Only way to get better is to do as many as you can and modifying anyway you need to in order to get through it. Then push yourself to do one more rep or do some on your toes and then go to your knees.

3) Invest in a pull up bar for a doorway. Cheap enough.

4) I don't think they're very long workouts. They're rarely over an hour; Or barely over an hour and that includes the warm up. I don't find them boring at all since you're doing different tapes each day and different rep variations each time, too. I did finally invest in the tower because I use it for a lot of workouts. I hate too much equipment and I'm very picky about buying more.

5) Only have weights that go up to 25# - that's not too bad. 25# is a lot of weight and very few exercises need more than that. Otherwise, invest in a vest, weighted gloves or a cheap barbell set. I got my barbell set at Walmart for $100. I never needed more than that. However, it depends on how much you're willing to invest.

Last edited:
That's okay - I'm in kind of the same boat! Haven't done the STS in a while, but love the structure it gives me and I end up seeing results by 3rd week of STS #2. I tried once starting the STS Meso #2 and ended up hurting myself, so... back to Disc 1, yes, with all the pushups. I did it today!!

Just do as many as hard pushups as possible, then modify. I felt good that at least I did the # of pushups required. I do have the Tower, and cant do Cathe's pullups like she does. I do the modified version. I also couldnt get the workout from the bands for those.

I am weak on biceps (compared to Cathe) - don't worry about it. The heaviest single weight I have is a 30# and that's for back lateral exercises.

I haven't ever re-done my 1RM cuz I use my original #s for a guideline. I should redo them though because my worksheets are a freaking mess!!!

I wish you luck and hope you start diggin' in!:p

Well I started to re-do my 1RM testing. And I have become much stronger since I first did it! I can probably thank X-Train and all the other more recent weight videos! It's kind of nice to see a change!

I notice in STS that Cathe doesn't go all that heavy for her legs. I can usually match her weight on my legs in other videos. I tried to 1RM test the Dumbbell Squats with 25lb dumbbells and I got to 25 reps...I could have done more reps. Debating if I should get some 30s. If I get heavier dumbbells its harder on my arms to hold them.

Well I started to re-do my 1RM testing. And I have become much stronger since I first did it! I can probably thank X-Train and all the other more recent weight videos! It's kind of nice to see a change!

I notice in STS that Cathe doesn't go all that heavy for her legs. I can usually match her weight on my legs in other videos. I tried to 1RM test the Dumbbell Squats with 25lb dumbbells and I got to 25 reps...I could have done more reps. Debating if I should get some 30s. If I get heavier dumbbells its harder on my arms to hold them.

Hello skatch,

if dumbbells gets heavier for your arms, substitute with Barbell. I do not know if you are keen on using barbell. Also even if it feels harder on your arms now, you will get stronger and your forearm will bear the weight in future. you will get there;).

[*]Pull up bar, I do not have cathe tower but i have a perfect pull up bar to attach to door ways plus I have a squat rack which i offer similar range of motion to cathe's tower. It all depend on how much you want to spend on equipments. Weighted vest is a must if you want to go heavy on your squat without lifting heavy load over your head. You might reach in future a peak whereby you no longer feel challenged on your legs.

[*]One rep max, if you have written the weight selection from xtrain, use it to load the re-do the testing on workout manager. It won't take long as some exercise as similar.

All the best,

1) I did the 1 rep max test once. Gave it about 80% effort. But, I got the numbers I needed and then I adjusted accordingly as I went through the program. I wrote down the weights I used that challenged me. And, for the most part, I use the same weights every time I do STS.

2) It's a lot of push ups - not really. There's only about 16 reps at varying tempos. Only way to get better is to do as many as you can and modifying anyway you need to in order to get through it. Then push yourself to do one more rep or do some on your toes and then go to your knees.

3) Invest in a pull up bar for a doorway. Cheap enough.

4) I don't think they're very long workouts. They're rarely over an hour; Or barely over an hour and that includes the warm up. I don't find them boring at all since you're doing different tapes each day and different rep variations each time, too. I did finally invest in the tower because I use it for a lot of workouts. I hate too much equipment and I'm very picky about buying more.

5) Only have weights that go up to 25# - that's not too bad. 25# is a lot of weight and very few exercises need more than that. Otherwise, invest in a vest, weighted gloves or a cheap barbell set. I got my barbell set at Walmart for $100. I never needed more than that. However, it depends on how much you're willing to invest.

Clear and concise sum up. I love it. I sense me and you are on the same page on push up ;-) Let's just do them:D

Point 4) There is no boredom i actually did each disk twice per week. Personal preference. I will do the same pattern.

Could not agree more on point listed above:):):)

How much should the weighted vest weigh? I see Cathe's is only like 10lbs, that doesn't seem like much. The barbell I have, but I cannot lift it over my head with heavy weights. I won't be buying a squat rack, I don't have the room.

Just to point out, I didn't say the workouts were boring. I said that I got bored of doing STS 3 times a week. Meaning, weights 3 times a week is a lot (For Me.) I am used to one upper body day and one lower body day or 2 days of full body a week.

The workout is yours not Cathe's

Nothing says you have to do the rotation exactly like Cathe say's to. You don't have to do the rotation exactly like she says to. You can always modify the rotation to fit what you want, pick one of the upper body's and then a lower body one week and then do the other upper body and a lower body or two upper bodies the next week. I can't work out six days a week, just too tired with two little ones a full time job, so I modify the rotations to fit my needs. Remember you are in charge of your workouts not anyone else. It's all about modifying!

Ok I have done STS once a couple years ago and thinking of giving it a whirl again. But these are my hangups:
-Ughh, one rep max testing...
-I can barely do pushups from my toes and the first Mesocycle has a million push ups.
-The chinups...I don't have the Cathe tower and I didn't find the tubing that effective.
-I have a barbell, but do not have a rack and I find it awkward and hard to get the barbell up behind my head for squats. My biceps and shoulders need much lower weights for some of the barbell exercises...thinking dumbbells would be more appropriate.
-I only have dumbbells up to 25lbs...I think I might need to get some heavier ones for legs as the program progresses.
-3 days a week for 3.5 months...the first time I kinda got sick of it by meso3. and some of the workouts are long.

I just did STS double time (two weeks in one week) because I wanted to try it and the three months is a long time...so it only took me seven weeks to complete it.

I did not do the one rep max...to tedious. I lift so much, I know what my low and max is!!,

I was not great on my push-ups either when I started, so I just did what I could...and by the end of the program...I substituted all the bench presses with push-ups and I ended up doing 100 full body push-ups in one DVD (with the rests of course). So you will improve....just even do the super easy push-ups with your butt in the air on hands and knees if you have to. You will see improvement!

In place of the chin ups do push ups! (I know...I felt the tubing was lame and ineffective)

Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.