Damage Control

Another very stressful week is behind me. I think my work schedule will be returning to normal now. The past month has been brutal. I hope to get back to my normal 4-6 workouts per week schedule.

Last week I did Legs on Sunday, Peloton on Tuesday, and Muscle Max on Thursday. Today will be a full body cardio/weight circuit. I will try to plan on Legs on Sunday, UB split on Monday, Tuesday Peloton, Wed-legs, Thursday UB split etc. I think that will work until the new workouts arrive.

I've been dealing with a lot of hip joint pain. Yesterday was really bad. The only thing that really seems to help is walking. Working out doesn't tend to make it worse so I'm just going to keep moving. The pain is getting much worse though so I plan on making an appt. If it's arthritis, so be it. I just want to know for certain what I'm dealing with. Also, I've been getting these periodic shocking/shooting pains in my right buttock muscle. I don't know if it piriformis syndrome or sciatica. I don't have any shooting pains down my leg, but my but muscle sometimes hurts pretty bad. I stretch and use our impact massager occasionally. Is this what you were dealing with?

Yesterday DH and I trimmed our baby rose bushes for the first time. Hopefully they come back strong this year. Today I will be pulling weeds and prepping the yard for the growing season. We are still waiting to turn on our sprinklers though so hopefully we will not go over our water limit this year.

How was your week? What are you up to this weekend?

Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your hip. For me, it was a sacroiliac joint issue. My leg was "jammed" into my pelvis (from stepping? from potholes on bike rides?) Gradually the pain got worse and worse. It ached a lot and I even had pain when putting my foot on the gas pedal and found driving more than 1/2 hour excruciating. I remember that specifically because I could not drive to State College to pick up DS2. The more I tried to walk or run the worse the pain. I don't remember any shooting pain, but a lot of ache. Then one day I was sitting in my van and all the muscles in my low right back (where the SI joint is) started to quiver and spasm and it was the weirdest sensation. Finally-I decided to see my primary and she gave me muscle relaxants and pain medication-neither worked. Then I went to a sports medicine physician who said it was sciatica since my calf was involved-it wasn't and he was no help. I called my primary and insisted on being referred for PT and the PT was the one who correctly diagnosed and treated me. I saw him off and on for 3 years and did LOTS of stretching exercises that he gave me (I still do them after workouts, before I get out of bed, before I go to sleep if I feel any ache). The reason I saw him so long was I was trying to get back to some impact exercises (kickbox especially). It never worked-my leg would get jammed with any impact and he would have to work it out again.

So-I gave up trying to get back to impact and am happy to be able to walk again without pain! I can drive, etc. Maybe it's a weak spot for me-I don't know. Our pelvis goes through a lot with childbirth so who knows. All I know is I will move as long as possible because once someone stops moving it's all down hill. When I first started getting treatment with PT I was only able to walk about 30 minutes on a flat route. I was using the pool a few times a week and foam rolled and stretch a LOT. I should have gone to see PT earlier, but I kept thinking my body would heal itself. Moral of my experience is to go early, keep trying different doctors until you get the correct diagnosis and start feeling better!

I trimmed the only bush DH would let me-a Forsythia bush. He like everything to get really tall, but I want this one to be full. So we're kind of having a competition to see which of our two looks better! I think mine does (of course!). We did lose a butterfly bush this year-I think DH cut it too far back or at the wrong time-I don't know. The yard is one of his things. I help with moving bags of mulch and picking up sticks mostly.

I ended up working on Sunday at the Walk In due to a call off. I actually like the walk in work so it was fine. Other than that-usual weekend stuff. Our yard sale is this Saturday so I've been pricing and moving boxes to the back porch. I hope it's the last one-so much work for very little reward. We are not pricing too low and will just donate everything that's left.

There are 3 soccer games on today! It's nearly the end of the season and so many crucial matches to see who stays in the league and who gets to be in European games next season. It's exciting!

I'm off to walk and might do a short low impact cardio with weights later. I did Upper body Saturday, Lower Body Sunday and my muscles have not yet recovered-darn it! Everything takes longer the older I get!

Have a good week!

Beth

I have done nothing all week. DH thinks I have sciatica. I couldn't hardly move at all Saturday. Sunday was a bit better. I feel much better today. Working 55 hours last week probably didn't help. Friday I worked from 7am to 1am Sat. I was wiped out all weekend.

I may try a light workout tomorrow or a short walk and see how I feel.

How was your Mother's Day?

How are you feeling? Setbacks are so frustrating. Have you found any stretches that can help?

Mother's Day was fine. I chatted with DS2 and even walked up to see my mom for a few minutes. It's just not the same relationship anymore. Otherwise, everything in my life is going pretty good! I didn't have the greatest card night last night, but we do it more for social anyway.

I'm just walking and doing the weight training on You Tube. Today is lower body. I also have a dentist appointment this afternoon and am going to make a Sam's Club stop while I'm up in Corning.

Our yard sale last weekend was a success and we have majorly decluttered!

Take Care and don't work too much!

Beth

I have my 80 hours in so I am off today and tomorrow. I was feeling better earlier in the week, even mowed the lawn and pulled weeds. Driving to my appt this morning, my butt cheek starting hurting again. I have an appt at chiropractic office on Monday. They do x-rays, massage, and PT in addition to chiropractic care. I'm sure my gait is off due to foot surgeries and some hip pain. I'm actually looking forward to determining the real issue and getting the right PT exercises for it. I've been doing a lot of stretches and hip openers. Some days are better than others.

Today will be upper body weights. I haven't done any workouts and I need to do something for my mental health. I'm afraid the peloton will make my pain worse right now. Upper body weights it is.

DS2 is taking me to the movies tomorrow afternoon to see the final Fast and Furious movie. DH and I are taking my sweet MIL out to lunch on Saturday. We did not get to see her for Mother's Day. It will be nice to spend some time with her.

The STS 2.0 pre orders start shipping tomorrow. I'm really excited for these.

Glad your yard sale and decluttering were so successful!! Such a great feeling that must be. Have a great weekend!!

I've been enjoying a relaxing 4 day weekend. Thursday I did Xtrain chest/back/shoulders and core #1, Friday was Bi's, Tri's and core #2. Yesterday we took my sweet MIL to lunch and spent the afternoon with her. She is doing so well! It was a really nice day. Today I was up early and started on laundry.

DH and I have made the grocery list and I will be heading to the store shortly. Jjust more laundry and paperwork going on today.

My pain has subsided, but I am keeping my appt for tomorrow. I'm still wary of doing lower body weight training. I'm so afraid of having that pain again. I read that riding a bike can trigger the piriformis pain. I will bring that up with chiropractor tomorrow.

I should be getting a shipping notice any day for STS 2.0. I plan on picking one of the STS 2.0 rotations once those workouts arrive.

Oh-we had a bird build a nest on my front door wreath and their are 4 eggs in it. We are trying to minimize using the front door for a few weeks. Once the birds are gone I'm tossing the wreath.

Not sure if I mentioned, we had a pretty bad hail storm come through a few weeks ago. The hail wasn't terribly large, but the storm lasted approx. 90 minutes. We finally had insurance come do an inspection and it is much worse than we anticipated. We need a whole new roof, new gutters, new garage back door, a few new garage door panels, fence damage etc. The solar panels are unscathed. They will need to removed and reinstalled though and we have not received the quote on that yet.

I'm not really a basketball fan, but the Denver Nuggets are in the playoffs. We beat the Phoenix Suns in round 1 4-2, and going into game 5 with the LA Lakers were are 3-0. I'm really on watch the 4th quarter. :)

How was your weekend? Anything fun going on?

OMG-I can't believe what the hail did to your house! That is awful. I'm glad insurance will cover it. I wish I had a bird nest close by! My BIL has one right outside his dining room window and I've been watching the mama lay on the eggs when we're over there.

This weekend was good. I got the herb garden planted and did some back porch pots for lettuce. We also picked up a porch growing cherry tomato planter at Sam's last week. Also did a lot of walking, reading, and some weight training.

I'm glad your pain is better. I did find biking hurt my back. One more thing to give up as I get older. At least you can do upper body and abs. I've been doing shorter-more like 30 minute lifting sessions. Yesterday was bi's, tri's, and abs. Today is quads.

Glad to hear your MIL is doing so well! Go Nuggets!

Beth

How is your week? How did your appointment go on Monday? Any relief yet? I saw the lower body workout from STS 2.0 and it looked really good. I might have to break down and order some dvds in the future.

Going to get my hair trimmed today. I'm wearing it shoulder length these days instead of longer. It's much nicer not blowing into my eyes. I'm thinking of going even shorter.

I'm off today so making waffles, walked, did upper body, and soccer is on at 3. We're down to the end of the season.

Beth

Honestly another week has gone by and I did not work out at all. I had 1 chiropractic appt and blood work appt. It was my piriformis and SI joint and they are both feeling much better now. He is now working on my ankle flexibility. I asked him if I needed a referral for the Physical Therapy in his office and he said he thought he could take care of it with 2 sessions a week over the next 3 weeks. I'm willing to give it a try.

The STS 2.0 discs arrived today!!! Looks like the user guide won't be available for download until next week. I'm going to start with some of the split workouts and give them a go. I'll let you know what I think.

My hair is just past shoulder length, long enough to pull up in a pony tail to workout. My skin and scalp and hair are so dry though. I've been using coconut oil and that seems to help along with my psoriasis meds.

Do you have any plans for the long weekend? We do not. Just hoping for a nice relaxing weekend. We do have some yardwork to do, nothing to taxing.

ttyl

I ended up getting more of the sides layered. I really don't like to pull my hair up or put it up very much. I hate it getting into my eyes when it's windy out. I am slowly getting shorter and shorter and more of a mussed up look with the layers. I don't have bangs right now-it took so long to grow them and I haven't made that cut yet! Maybe next time...

We don't have any big plans for the weekend. I am going to give DH a hair cut. I am going to pack for our trip -we leave next Saturday at 4:15 AM! So I have to try stuff on and do wash.

Have you heard about the book Braiding Sweetgrass? It's this months book club book written by an indigenous Indian woman about how people treat the environment. It's a bit repetitive-since everywhere you look we have damaged lakes, earth, trees, etc. I'm trying to get it finished for our meeting on Tuesday.

Off to get my wash wash started!

Beth

My workout yesterday was STS 2.0, legs disc 1 and Standing Core and Standing plus floor core. I mostly used the same weights as Cathe since not working out much at all this month. I went heavier on deadlifts, and lighter on rear lunges. Between my bad right knee and bad left foot/ankle those rear lunges may always be lighter. My legs are sufficiently sore today. The core work was a nice change of pace but both of them were very short. I may try the other 2 core workouts today along with an UB split. I also forgot that I ordered the package that included the digital download. If I can download them to my Ipad that would be awesome.

The user's guide isn't available for download yet, but should be in the next day or so. I did see that someone posted it from the Cathe On Demand site on FB though. My plan is to go through all the discs and then pick a rotation to follow. Although I may use the other platform for lower body as I can go much heavier and use my rack and landmine in those. I just need to get back on track with my workouts. I'm just struggling with all these appts. This next week-I need to take the girls to a dentist appt on Tues, I have an appt on Wed Thurs and Fri. I need start working out in the evenings whether or not I feel at that time. That is the time when I can fit it right now.

My bangs took so long to grow out and every time I get them cut back I end hating them and growing them out again. Sometimes I just pull the top back and clip it to keep it out of my eyes. Shoulder length seems just right, not too short or too long.

As a society, we all need to be doing better at taking care of our environment. Interesting how society is now going back to how things use to be. Small things like elimination of plastic grocery bags, green building, zero emissions. Our ancestors were doing it right all along!

I'll check back in and let you know what workout I did and give my review!

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

It was my off Friday yesterday. I did a full body time cap from the other platform and a heavy leg workout today. It feels good to workout.

Not much going on this weekend. Just some grocery shopping and cleaning.

ttyl

We got back late Wednesday and had a great time seeing Aaron and meeting Shivani. We did a lot of firsts-had fresh mussels, went to a comedy club show, took a ferry ride in the bay, and enjoyed a fire pit. Aaron is talking about moving to Colorado so he can buy a house-time will tell!

Yesterday I did a full body workout of complexes and am sore today! All we did was walk during our trip. We got home though to some bad air quality weather, so am staying indoors until we get the green light that it's ok to walk outside. I think we're in the yellow now, but it depends which way the wind goes. If I focus on compound moves, I feel like I get a decent cardio workout and that will have to suffice.

I'm heading back to work today. How was your week? What plans for the weekend? Mine is to eat a lot of salads, get my wash caught up, and watch the Champion's League Final on Saturday. My dad was hospitalized last week so I will probably call them to see how he is doing. It's just a weird situation.

Beth

Glad to hear you had a wonderful trip! Perhaps I could see you more if Aaron decides to move to Colorado! Does he work from home? It is nice here and we have awesome weather.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he is doing okay.

I've been going to the chiropractor 2x per week to work on my SI joint/piriformis issue. It is so much better. The appointments do interfere with my workouts. I only have one more week of appointments so that will help me get back on track with my workouts.

I worked out Friday/Sat/Sun last week and today is my first workout this week. Today I did Total Body Giant Sets from STS 2.0. I've been doing more of a split routine so this was very different. Tomorrow will be either a circuit, rower, or peloton and some ab work. Sunday will be total body trisets. Trying to work my way through the STS 2.0 discs to see what my favorites might be.

My 8 year old laptop is dying a slow death. I may have to go buy a new one this weekend. I've been putting it off because I don't want to spend the money. The time has come...

DH and the kids will be watching the Nuggets/Heat game tonight. Of course I want the Nuggets to win, but I'm don't like to watch basketball. I usually go watch the last 2-5 minutes.

ttyl

Yes! I'm hoping he does decide to move to Colorado. He wants to move somewhere he can get some decent fishing in. He tried deep sea and caught nothing. He also wants to start putting money into a house instead of renting. He had a lot of questions for Dan and I about how long we dated before we got engaged, married, had kids. We'll see! His new girlfriend is very nice and likes the grand dog.

I only got 3 workouts in last week. We did walk over 20K steps two of the days on our trip. How are you finding the STS workouts? Are they a good speed?

I kind of feel the same about tennis-yesterday I saw the championship point of the women's final!

Good luck finding a new laptop!

Beth

Sorry I've been MIA. I thought I replied but I must not have hit save. My laptop finally died and I had to replace it. I've been busy copying over files all day.

Today I did Trisets. I have to say of the full body workouts, Supersets is a favorite, Trisets would be second and Giant sets would be last. I still prefer doing upper/lower or a body part split. I feel I can go much heavier and thoroughly exhaust the muscle group. I'm using heavier weights than Cathe on Chest and legs.

It's going to be rough night tonight. I start working at 6pm and don't anticipate being done until 2 or 3 in the morning. Otherwise I was off work yesterday and most of today.

Today was just laundry. DH's birthday is on Sunday, yep Father's Day too. DS2 is coming over and cooking steaks on the grill. I will get everything else we need.

Your trip sounds wonderful! All that walking is so good though. It would be nice if Aaron moved to Colorado somewhere near me so I could see you more often. :)

Hope you had a great week.

ttyl

It hasn't taken long to get back into the home life groove. Happy Birthday to Dave! I did see my dad and and mom last Saturday for a short visit. He's spending a lot of time at doctor's offices now. Otherwise they are fine.

I've been focusing on 2 lower body, 1 upper body, and 1 total body for weights since we got back.

How are you feeling in your low back SI joint/piriformis region? Do you find high impact triggers pain? Every so often I get the urge to "test" my SI joint to see if it can withstand impact-but so far no luck. It always hurts and I end of stretching extra to keep it from hurting and go back into place.

I hope with a new laptop you can do your work quicker and not work such long hours!

Beth

Today I did a full body circuit with cardio/skipping or swings. It was nice to have the additional cardio in between the weights. It did have ab work at the end, and I did more ab work when that was over. Tomorrow will be a chest/tri workout and maybe ride my bike. I haven't been on my bike since the piriformis issue.

Today we are meeting my MIL for lunch for the hubs birthday. We couldn't do it last weekend since I had to work Friday night. Nothing else is really planned for today. The weather is heating up and it is just too hot to do anything outside. The mosquitos are really bad and West Nile is very high in my area right now.

High impact doesn't seem to bother my SI joint. I had another jolt of pain there today while doing a plank. It tends to come and go, but nothing that is preventing me from working out.

I'm on my new personal laptop today. It is so much faster than my old one. It's 8 years old, no wonder it was having issues. Tomorrow I plan on cleaning of my desk and setting up my new work laptop. Hopefully that all goes smooth.

We had a bird nest in my front door wreath. The eggs all hatched and finally flew away. One of the babies was in the wreath and not in the nest. We took the wreath down and had to throw it out, it was full of bird poop. It was stuck on my front door too and on my porch. It was so gross getting it all cleaned up. Rylee helped me. I'm on the lookout for new front door mat, the other will have to be thrown out.

Do you have any fun plans this weekend?

It's a cleaning weekend for me. Saturday I did the living room. Today is dining room and Monday will be kitchen and foyer. I'm having book club here on Tuesday night. Nothing seems to motivate me to dust as much as having people over!

Sounds like you're back in a good spot physically to get some good workouts in! I need to add in more abs. When they are part of the workout it's easier.

It's super humid and rainy here. We are able to walk in the mornings and then I do my weights before showering and cleaning.

My lettuce is not turning out well. I don't think the pots I put it in are big enough. The herbs and the tomatoes though are fantastic! I also got a cutting for a spider plant and am attempting to "root" it. It's in a mason jar right now so I'm waiting to see what happens.

DS1 has occult blood in his stool. I'm hoping to get him in on Monday to see his PCP. He actually talked to me about it so maybe there's hope.

Not much planned this weekend-getting ready for Tuesday mostly! Glad you got to see your MIL and Happy Birthday to your DH!

Beth

Woo Hoo, its Friday and I have the day off!!! I slept in until 6:30 and it was wonderful not waking up to an alarm. I watched the news and drank my coffee. My workout this morning was Back and Shoulers. I started following a Lift challenge, but these workouts are very long. I may have to switch it up a bit. So far this week I've done Chest/Biceps, Full body Circuit, Legs/(triceps-skipped), off on Thursday. Tomorrow will be compounds, cardio and core-the triceps I skipped from earlier in the week. I need mor ab work also. I've been doing my own yoga for about 20 minutes at night 3 times per week. More for flexibility and relaxation before bed.

My oldest brother will be in town this weekand and I expect to hear from him. I hope to see him and my SIL. They are retired but live in San Miguel de Allende Mexico. They come to Colorado to see their son and grandkids and to Idaho to see their daughter and grandkids. I haven't seen him in years. As he's gotten older, he looks more and more like my dad. I just realized he's 73 and my oldest sister 70.

I'm just doing some laundry, filing, etc. Just a nice low key day. My office needs some work, it becomes the dumping area for things that noone knows what to do with-I hate that.

Dusting, yeah I don't do that. If DH wants to dust he can.

Glad your vegetables are doing well. Garden tomatoes are the best! They just have so much more flavor the store bought. The spider plant should be an easy plant to grow and doesn't need much maintenance.

Sorry to hear about DS1. I hope it is nothing serious. How was book club?

ttyl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.