Damage Control

Sorry I've been MIA. It's just so hectic with my large household and work. I finally bought a car last Friday. It's a 2017 Lexus RX 350 F-Sport. It had a single owner-used as a fleet vehicle and only had 22,234 miles on it. I think we will be selling DH's truck since we don't really need it any longer. It is a 2004 and needs some repairs that really aren't worth us doing at this point. We keep our vehicles until they die basically. Since he's taken over my Rogue, I needed a vehicle and have waited a very long time. This is larger than my Rogue, and oh my, it is very fancy for me.

Yes, we are up in the mountains with the girls. We are enjoying a relaxing time. My son came up last night so we will probably head to the outlet mall today and up the hill to see what's going on at the base of the mountain. The girls want to go on the alpine slide. It's been cool-60's and rain so I'm not sure what activities will be open.

I started STS a couple weeks ago. I managed to get in week 1 twice through before we headed up here. I plan on just picking up with week 2 when we get back.

I'm hoping to start get up at 5:30 also. I'll let you know how it goes. It would guarantee my morning workout. I have to work so many nights though that I'm not sure how it will work out for me.

ttyl

We made it back from the mountains. Time to get back on track with my eating and workouts after a week off. This meno weight has really got me down. I'm going back to the legendary ladies program and will be getting the menu and meal plans together this weekend.

Have you seen the possible Cathe Road Trip for Halloween? Are you interested?

We don't have any plans for the 4th. I may walk down to the lakes to enjoy them though.

ttyl

Hi! I completely understand about getting busy and not being able to check in as often an I'd like. Work and home obligations take so much time. Plus trying to get workouts in, read for book group, and lets not forget trying to sleep once in a while!

Thursday after work I ended up just taking a drive (didn't walk to work that day) just to have some alone time. I always feel like I'm checking off a list of stuff to get done everyday. So the drive was relaxing.

I don't know what to do about my meno weight gain either. I'm also not able to go to the bathroom lately so started eating a bowl of oat bran again in the mornings. I just started yesterday so we'll see if it helps like it did in the past. I'm thinking of just simplifying my diet again so I don't have to think about it. I'm frustrated because I already feel like I eat well but my clothes don't fit! What do you think about the Fairliife drinks? They have 2g of sugar, 30g of protein and are 150 calories. I've been having one a day for the protein since I don't eat much protein at breakfast. I've been putting it on my cereal and it's pretty good! Other than that I feel like I work out as much as I can considering my low impact limitations and working 80 hours a week.

I saw the Road Trip news. I doubt I'll go. I don't trust the covid yet to make plans that far out.

We're having my brother in law and DS1 will join us for a small dinner on the 4th. I'm not in touch with my parents or brother and you know-it feels right. I tried to accept their actions, but was in so much angst and thinking about it all the time. Now, I'm happier and feel like they should live with how they've made me feel. Who knows-maybe this was their way of getting rid of me!

I am off for 3 days now! Are you getting Monday off for the holiday?

Enjoy!

Beth

I've been on a roll this week. Started Ripped With HiiT for weights on Sunday and did BSB on Sunday, CST Monday and Legs today. Tomorrow I'm starting over with BSB (the two set premix with finishers). I'd like to do this series for weights to see if I can up the weights at some point. I'm hoping to do it until Labor day. Are you back to STS now that you're home?

Other than that, still just walking to and from work as much as possible.

Beth

It's my off Friday. I've tried replying several times this week, I finally have time now.

I started TheWkout's July challenge but would like to join you on RWH weights. I may do something else for legs though. The leg workout tends to bother my knee. I was enjoying STS but the workouts are too long for me to fit in right now.

I'm still struggling with the meno weight. My annual physical is on Monday and I will be discussing this issue with her. I do great with my food choices for a few days then just get down about my weight and fall off the wagon. I think what might work for me is meal prepping. Even though I work from home, I think the meal prep is key for me. If you want more information, you can check out the FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/metabolismmastery

Today I'm doing RWH BSB and abs.

ttyl

Today I did a heavy leg workout using my new landmine. I had to go a bit lighter since its just so different from using my squat rack.

I ordered some new shorts and need to return a few. I also need to get a new pair of trail shoes. The last shoes I bought were brooks, but I prefer asics or saucony. Also, the girls want to pick up some whit t-shirts to tie dye. They tie-dyed shirts and my mil's and now they want to do more.

What are you up to?

Last edited:
I had a good workout week. Friday I was too tired to lift, so didn't. I did BSB yesterday and plan on doing the CST today. I'm basically just rotating the 3 weight workouts whenever I have the energy to lift. The week of July 4th I did 6 workouts, but last week was only 5. I'm having such fun with the LIHI series. Every time I do an upper body I pick a different premix-yesterday I put the shoulders at the end. Today I might do the 4 set premix since it's the weekend and I have more time and energy!

Not much going on here. I made some zucchini bread yesterday and read a book a downloaded from the library. Otherwise, work and my usual routine all week. My dumbbells are getting rusty from all the rain and damp/humid air. DH is going to scrub them for me with a wire brush. I broke out my barbell from the basement and started using it again yesterday. I'm so glad I didn't get rid of it.

Beth

This morning I did a circuit workout followed by LIHI CST and abs#2. I really love the weights in LIHI.
I use mostly the same weight as Cathe in BSB. I stick with 35's for all the back work, I go a little heavier for rear delts, and only use 15's concentration curls. Biceps are my weakest link. In CST, I use 35's for chest press, 35/30's for incline chest press, and 30's for incline fly. I use 15's and 20's for side laterals and front raise, and use the same as Cathe for triceps. The pushups tend to vary each time I do the workout. Sometimes I can do them on toes, other times only knees, but mostly start on my toes and go down to my knees when necessary. Oh, I usually skip the decline pushups...I just can't seem to get those in.

I'm filing and cleaning up my office-the perpetual dumping ground. Right now it is the holding area for donations to be picked up in a week and a half. It's always in a state of transition.

The girls' mom found and apartment and will be moving out on Aug 30th/Sept 1st. It's a nice 2 bed/2 bath with in unit laundry on the second floor. It's not too far from us or the middle school the girls will be going to.

I'm starting the nutrition program I mentioned earlier tomorrow. It's 35 days of Reset and 14 days of Restore which is one metabolic cycle. You do as many metabolic cycles as it takes to reach your goal. The there is a transition into the next phase for maintenance. I haven't read that far ahead so I don't know what that looks like. The 14 day restore is to work with your bodies natural plateau and then you start the next metabolic cycle which should encourage your body to lose weight again.

I like how you choose a different premix each time. I usually just do the premix with one of the abs at the end. You were considering getting rid of your barbell? I use my barbell too much. I love the free weights though since it really helps eliminate imbalances. Do you just walk for cardio? The program I'm starting encourages walking 10-20 min per day. No other exercise needed-until you get to your goal weight. High intensity exercise increases cortisol which causes the body to store more belly fat. I plan on continuing with the weights though and some of my circuits. I need it for my mental health. Plus it's nice to finally be doing the same program as you!!!

Off to start laundry and file.

ttyl

Yes, I do just walk to and from work just about every day and then do longer walks on the weekends with DH. I carry my backpack (10 lbs) going to work-much lighter after work since I drink the water in it. Then on weekends wear my 5 lb vest. I'm such a lightweight, but if I try to go heavier my hips start hurting!

I'm loving doing the RWH. Starting to go heavier with exercises and wanted to get the barbell out for back especially. I did 20 lb barbell lying extensions yesterday which was a good increase from me. The cleaning of the dumbbells was a bust. I ended up ordering a new set of 10's and 15's that are rubber coated to see if they are better.

I decided to do this program from July 4th to Labor Day (September 6). It's going ok. Today I'm doing legs and I always do the cardio low impact-use the discs, do hammer punch lunges, etc. I just improvise usually. Tomorrow will be BSB again and probably the two set of everything premix since it's about 40 minutes. It gives my a chance to up my weights knowing it's only two sets. I did the 4 sets of CST yesterday and felt it by last night!

Your new program should be good. Do yo count macros? Is there a lot of meal prep?j

Beth

I will probably go for a short walk tonight. I had my annual physical this morning and my Dr. told me not to worry about my weight. Worrying just makes it worse. Just keep up my physical activity and clean eating. Oh, I wore shorts to the appt because I had a mole I wanted her to check out. She said it's fine, probably just an age spot. GGRRR

No, I do not need to count macros. The daily plan utilizes intermittent fasting, provides a list of foods and is as follows:
Plate 1 and 2 consist of:
Protein, veggie, healthy fat
Daily-1 fruit and 1 grain
80oz of water
walk 10-15 min
mindful relaxation

The vegetables are unlimited, but only 1 vegetable with each plate. Proteins are measured by weight, grains and fruits are measured by using measuring cups.

There is a food list and they also have some really good recipes. Since I work from home, there isn't much meal prep. I do think I should prep or at least write out my plates so I stick to it.

All my db's are metal, I do have a pr of 8's and a pr of 10's that are coated. I have mine in weight rack and haven't had any issues with rust. I think BSB is up next for me too. Do you add in the abs a couple times per week?

I think your weighted vest is awesome. Definitely not worth going any heavier and causing an injury. I modify a lot and just do the best I can. I felt really good today. I think it's because I got up extra early to shower and get to my appt. I'm usually dragging because I roll out of bed, wash face-brush teeth, get coffee and get logged into work by 7am.

ttyl

Another work week of just getting in 3 weight lifting sessions instead of 4. I am up to 5 total which is a bump up from the 4 I was doing, so maybe I'll just stick with that for now.
I have not been adding in much abs. Maybe this weekend I'll do that! I love my new coated dumbbells. The rust on my hands was really annoying. We don't have air conditioning and I think the humidity and sweat combined to eat away at the metal. The 10's and 15's were the worst and as the others get too bad to use I'm going to replace them. I was looking at a 40 lb kettle bell for lower body-do you use any of those? I can see it being handy for pick up squats, plie squats, deadlifts? I don't know. I'll have to do some research.

Did you sign up for the road trip? Are you getting the new band/loop workouts? I pre-ordered them and figure they'll be here for when I'm done this RWH rotation around Labor Day.

Any plans this weekend? I feel like I just want to be home and do stuff around here-especially since I'm not home all day during the week. I'm going to make a green risotto recipe with zucchini, peas, and broccoli that I found in my Nutrition Action Newsletter a few issues ago. Other than that-just read, relax, watch some Olympics, and workout!

Beth

I did workout 5 days plus walked on 1 day last week. Next up is BSB which I plan on doing tomorrow. This morning I had my annual mammo and will probably walk tonight. We are having hot temps in the 90's and it is miserable outside.

I'm in another training class this week and will have to take another certification test. I'm already stressing about it.

Yesterday we went paddle boarding and kayaking at a nearby reservoir and it was really fun. The girls and their mom went, and I met up with one of my friends (tri-training partner) and it was a great day. The girls did great on the paddle boards. I was in the kayak most of the time. I got the kayak in case the paddle boarding was too hard for either of the girls. They both picked it up fast though. I traded with Rallie, but she struggled with the kayak, so we switched back after about 15 minutes.

I do have a 40lb kettlebell I use for swings, plie squats and deadlifts. For plie's and squats I stand on my mini step and regular step so I can get more depth. The handle of the kettlebell doesn't allow you to go as deep on your squats. I wish I had a 40lb dumbbell.

We have another donation pick up coming on Wednesday. I can't believe how much stuff we are still finding to donate. Plus the girls have a bunch of clothes and shoes. I should probably get that all together tonight.

I didn't sign up for the road trip or order the new workouts. I may look at the new workouts and see if I want them. I would be more interested in the road trip if it was in Daytona or San Diego. I loved the San Diego road trip, but she only did that once. I really feel like I need a vacation.

ttyl

So fun to be on the water with your granddaughters! I had a pretty good weekend. We have had some plumbing issues and after two trips from the plumber and one from the borough we got some big drain cleaned out that there's a cap to in the front yard. So doing wash lately has been interesting.

I did Legs Saturday, BSB Sunday, and CST on Monday. Tuesday I was off work because I have to work long hours Friday and Saturday morning. I ended up doing legs again yesterday, but did the HiiT legs workout and just modified all the cardio on the step. It was doable and felt good just to use the step! Tonight is cards, so just a walk today. Tomorrow I'm going to do the Upper Body HiiT DVD from RWH and then Friday work 7-7 and just walk.

It's been nice just using the one series for a while and feeling like I'm putting on muscle. Good luck with your test this week.

Beth

Yesterday I just walked about 15 minutes. The 98 degrees is brutal. We are supposed to drop back into the 80's starting this weekend and into next week.

Yesterday I did BSB, and today I did a 30 min circuit with lots of kettlebell swings. Since I'm still in class again tomorrow, I'll look for another 30 min workout. I'm thinking Super Sets-lower body blast might be a good one.

Plumbing issues are the worst. Glad you got that resolved.

Another 98 degree day here. It's just miserable out.

I did start out my day with a 45 minute leg circuit. I only got 30 min in when the painter arrived and I had to stop. I finished the last day of my training class and will probably try to take the practice test this weekend.

My massage was cancelled for tomorrow but I was able to switch it for a facial. I'm looking forward to that. Other than that, I don't have much planned.

ttyl

Hot weather is the worst. We have been lucky the last week and it hasn't been as bad. Although it poured here yesterday for about an hour, so it's been humid. We finally got the basement water problems solved and the drain pipes blasted out by the borough so the washing machine is good.

How did the test go? Get the real one over with ASAP! Glad you could relax with a facial after it.

I'm still rolling along with RWH. I worked Friday 12 hours and then worked the weekend shifts too, so I'm tired. I did a premix of BSB on Saturday and went to bed at 8:30. Sunday I did just the weights of LIHI Legs-but I did it 2x through. I felt like I needed a good, heavy day for legs and I'm a little sore this morning.

Tonight is book club to discuss Magic Lessons by Alice Hoffman-about witchcraft/spells. It was not a book I'd choose on my own, but was a fun read and was mostly a love story. Next month is a sci-fi by Ursula La Guin called The Lathe of Heaven. It's short, so I'm reading The Huntress by Kate Quinn right now.

Off to work I go...

TTYS,

Beth

Friday was a rest day. I just didn't have enough time to workout in the morning before my facial. After my facial I went Kohl's and found 2 pairs of jeans, a shirt, and workout tank top. I thought that was pretty good since I wasn't really looking for anything.

Saturday I did STS D37-heavy legs. I used 94lbs for the squats, and hamstrings. 74lbs for lunges and 45lbs for front squats. I was expecting to be sore, but I'm not. Sunday I walked 3 1/2 miles and went and visited with my sister. I think she has lost over 70lbs since being diagnosed with diabetes. She looks really good. I'm so proud of her.

This morning I did RWH CST and abs #2. I had oatmeal with protein powder, chia seeds, cinnamon and blueberries for breakfast. Off to a great start. Then I had a cinnamon roll, 2 spoons of peanut butter, and 3 squares of chocolate. What is up with this self sabotage. UGH. I'm having a salad with 1/4 avocado, and cucumber from my sisters garden for dinner tonight. I may go walk this evening if it isn't too hot out.

I haven't even looked at the practice test yet. I have 30 days to take the test. Fridays are less busy so I plan on working on the practice test and studying then.

Your book club sounds good. I just wish I enjoyed reading more. My youngest son has been an avid reader from a very young age and still is today, at 25 years old. He will sometimes read 12-14 hours on the weekend.

I'm enjoying doing RWH with you. I really like that they are a bit shorter, but still heavy lifting. What are you planning on doing next. I think the XTrain series might good, but I'm game for anything really.

bbl

Good Morning! Just a quick update. Yesterday I did RWH lower body circuit and walked in the evening. I think my legs are sore from stepping. The 8 inch step seemed really high after not stepping for months. My knees, heels, and achilles have started bothering me so I think its time for new shoes.

How is your week going?

I know-it's been months and months since I did any stepping. I did it all low impact anyway. If you didn't-no wonder you're sore! You are using some serious weight for legs-holy moly. The heaviest I've been doing is 2 25's for deadlifts.

Last night was BSB-I did the 2 set with finisher premix for about 45 minutes with breaks. I love all the premixes this set offers. Today is just my two 20 minute walks-working 12 hours.

Looking forward to some down time though on my 3 day weekend!

Beth

How was your long weekend? I hope you were able to get some down time.

I did a 75 min circuit on Saturday and a 60 min circuit on Sunday. Today ended up being an unplanned rest day. Today was supposed to be leg day. I'll have to do that tomorrow. I've been walking most evenings, but with the heat and the smoke I'll probably pass tonight.

The girls are getting ready to start school next week. They had a very short summer since the last day of school for them was on June 11th. My son took them school supply shopping and they are busy get their backpacks and binders all organized.

I'm off on Friday, but I have to work Friday night. I hate when that happens but there is nothing I can do about it.

bbl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.