Damage Control

Hello. I hope you are finding some time between work, being on call and studying for yourself. No wonder you need a neck massage! Did it help?

I did a cardio and upper body circuit Thursday night. It was a live and only 36 minutes, but during the week I tend to do shorter workouts after work anyway. Last night I just walked in the cold. My digestion is so much better when I can get a decent walk in during the day.

What are you doing this weekend? I have my rescheduled mani/pedi at noon today and am going to make a Pinch Of Yum chili recipe-vegetarian with walnuts, mushrooms and carrots for the "meat". It's one of my favorite recipes and since it's SNOWING here again seems like a good idea!

DH found a used vcr/dvd player to replace the one I've got. It's cheaper than buying all the dvd's on streaming so at least for now I'm replacing it. If I find I don't use dvd's as much in the future, I might not replace it again; but I like my pyramids, and 3 day splits for weight work sometimes. I think when I retire I'll do more of the 3 day splits-just don't have time now and want to be able to do them 2x/week instead of just once. Plus I like all the one body parts on the ICE series...so many workouts and not enough time!

Enjoy your weekend!

Beth

I feel like it's been a long week already and its only Wednesday. My last workout was on Sunday I think. I can't even remember, I'd have to go look at my workout calendar in the basement. I did go out and walk 3 miles Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues.

We have a major snow storm coming this weekend though and the cold temps are moving in today. DH did say I could go get a snow blower. Hopefully DS1 will be home early enough for us to go get one.

How has your week been going?

My week was good. I walked to and from work every day which really helps me mentally and physically! It gives me time to think and appreciate things. I hope it's fairly dry from now on so I can continue! Other than that-just work and did do two metabolic workouts one on Tuesday night and one Thursday night. I consider them lighter total body with lots of compound exercises. Plus there is no impact and if Cathe does put in a little cardio drill I just do it low impact!

This weekend I plan to lift heavier and do some walks. Besides that it's the usual chores.

DH has been trying to find someone to paint the outside of the house. He's got someone coming over on Sunday to appraise.

What have you been up to? Did you have shovel max or get the blower? Hope it doesn't last long so you can walk some more!

Beth

I tweaked my back yesterday. UGH. DH leaned on me for balance while putting on his slippers and that did it. I literally just stood there and he put is hand on my shoulder, not even much weight was put on me and my back has been hurting ever since. It's really stiff and painful this morning. I may just use my elliptical in bit to get some blood flowing and loosen it up some. I don't think I can do much else and definitely cannot lift weights.

Our big storm is coming later today and they are saying its one for the books. Where I am we are expecting 14-25 inches. They've warned us that there could be power outages so be prepared. DH has to work tonight and tomorrow night. He's just planning on staying there the whole weekend. He's afraid that if he does make it home tonight, that he may not be able to get back to work for his Sunday night shift. We were not able to get a snow blower, they were sold out when we went. We've managed for all these years without one. I did get 2 more snow shovels though so at least 3 of can shovel at once.

DH has his interview on Tuesday for the new position-which would be day shift and more money. He's still torn about going to days, but the extra pay would be good as it will also increase his pension when he retires in a couple years.

My BIL and SIL both have Covid. She retired at the end February at age 58 (so jealous). Her intention is to go back part time and collect a salary and her pension. To celebrate, I guess they thought it would be a good idea to go to Vegas. Anyway, they came back and within 3 days my BIL was positive for Covid, and a couple days later my SIL was positive too. He seems to be handling much better that her. She has high blood pressure and diabetes. I've been holding off getting vaccinated. I think I will try to get my name on a list today.

Just studying for the cert exam and household chores today. I hope to take the test tomorrow, so I can stop worrying about it.

Enjoy your weekend!

Diana,

I am so sorry to hear that your family has Covid. They need to go to the ER stat if they have any trouble breathing-especially your SIL. Were they vaccinated? She is in the 1A expansion group of those with underlying conditions. You might still have to wait awhile since you are healthy.

Good luck with the exam. I'm sure you'll do fine! Do you get a break now before another one? We had two shovels and I broke one during our last snowstorm. We should probably get a replacement. DH wants to put together a 96 hour survival pack for us in case we lose power-on our list of things to get done.

I can appreciate David's hesitancy about moving to day shift-it's why I switched to second shift after 8 years on days. For me on days the pace was faster, more chiefs around, more chaos. He should go with his gut-after all he's the one that's got to go in every day/night. Easy to say-it took me forever to leave the nursing home job and I still miss it going on 3 years!

Don't hurt your back more with shoveling!

Beth

My SIL is in the hospital with pneumonia and she is on oxygen. No, they have not been vaccinated. I don't know why they went to Vegas without being vaccinated. So dumb IMHO.

I have a letter from my employer that I am an essential worker and can go get vaccinated anytime now. I've just been waiting since I wanted others who needed it more than me to have it. Now that it has hit so close to home, I'm rethinking that. I work from home and only go to the grocery store once a week.

We are in the middle of a blizzard. We have about 15 inches so far and it supposed to continue snowing all day.

I'm going to do some kind of cardio today as it really helps my back feel better. I'm thinking an X10 premix or CCC. The kids will have to do the shoveling tonight. :)

We got about 22" of snow and have been digging out the past 2 days. There will be lots of melting going on.

My SIL is out of the hospital now, but her and BIL are still not feeling very well. They are still pretty sick and have no energy and no sense of smell. My SIL says she can taste things, but most things seems very salty to her. They are just sleeping a lot and keeping up with the fluids for now.

I have got to find a solution to this weight issue I have. I know it is common to gain weight during this time, but it is very frustrating to have this expanding waist line all while keeping up with my workouts. I'm so frustrated that it is hard to keep to my healthy eating habits. I don't know what is wrong with me. I feel like my body is failing me.

Sunday I did the X10 52 min premix and yesterday was a full body circuit. Today I just shoveled outside. DS3 got stuck getting out of the driveway this morning so I shoveled the ice chunks so he wouldn't have that issue tonight or tomorrow morning. My back is still sore so I'm thinking the elliptical may be a good option for tomorrow.

I haven't taken the certification test yet. I did some more studying and took one of the practice tests two more times tonight.

How is your week going?

My week is ok. The thinking topic before next session is how I want my relationship with my parents to be. How do I envision it going forward? My mom has been gifting me things-some wine in a carafe that she opened and wanted to share, a gift card to a grocery store for my birthday, and sending stuff to DS2 in Cali. She says they miss me. It's still difficult...so that's my goal this week to figure out what our relationship will look like.

Alas, I have no answers for weight gain problems. I do think every body is different in what works for them and through trial and error and based on how you feel and how your body responds are key. Our bodies are changing-we're holding onto fat due to dropping estrogen levels. It's not easy to accept but it's happening. I have been investing in lots of stretchy clothes-want to be comfortable and buttons and zippers-yeech! I try to drink a lot of water, limit processed foods, walk, and do weights 4x/week. I'm much less stronger and have more butt fat than I use to. But I have to work within my limitations of a full time job and my SI joint injury. The fear of that happening again is real.

Not much walking this week-we got snow again yesterday and the sidewalks are still covered. I'm off Friday though so that will be nice to get a good walk in the streets and maybe do some weights too.

You seriously need to celebrate when this test is over!

Beth

Sorry I've been MIA. I've been studying for that cert. Unfortunately I failed the first time and will have to retake it. I missed it by 3 questions. I'm off work today and will be studying today and will give it another go today or tomorrow.

I've been keeping up with my workouts this week and have been feeling pretty good. I'm not as strong as I used to be even though I'm lifting consistently. I'm trying to stick to clean foods and hope the scale starts moving soon.

Hopefully soon I will be able to get vaccinated. I'm signed up and should hear back from them in 1 to 3 weeks. There have not been any appointments available. I just keep checking every morning and night.

My brother in law has gone back to work but it is a struggle for him to get through the day. My sister in law still sounds pretty bad and is still recovering at home.

Have you decided how you want to move forward with your parents? I'm sorry you are going through this. I'm still disappointed with what my stepmom did, but ultimately it was her choice as my dad preceded her in death and did not have a will. He had verbally told us his wishes, but she chose to do differently.

ttyl

Popping back in to say I passed the certification!!!!

Last edited:
Woot Woot! Passed! I hope you get a break for a while now from studying. Every year we have to get re-certified to do tasks like blood sugar checks and I get more anxious every year-and it's the same tests every time! So I feel for you.

It's funny you used the work disappointment. It's exactly how I've come to terms-i.e. I can be disappointed in their behaviors and still have a relationship. They also have to come to terms with how they've made me feel and we just go from there. The way I treat them is different now, and that's how relationships go. It was good speaking to an impartial person about the whole thing.

My doctor put me on a sleeping pill to try-it's called Latuda. I took a half of one last night and slept ok. I took it last night to try it out to see if I were foggy this morning. I don't feel like I am so will try another 1/2 on Sunday night. My anxieties about everything are much more pronounced the nights before work. We'll see. It does feel nice to feel rested today. I've already gotten a lot done around the house!

I did not formally work out except Thursday night this week-did All In Upper Body from the lives-so fun. I walked to and from work 3 days and that was it! Tuesday I ended up with a terrible ear infection and started antibiotics. I even came home early from work the pain was so bad. So, I gave myself some rest days because I just didn't feel like doing much. I'm planning on a long walk and lower body today along with weekend chores.

Next weekend is our trip to Cleveland-did I tell you we were going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next Saturday. I'm excited just for the car ride and getting out of town for a bit. We have tickets and it's all 6 feet apart and all. I figure the groups I like are mostly in by this point since I haven't really kept up with current music since the boys were little and we listened to Raffi. Although I do like Coldplay and a few more current groups.

So happy you passed! Have a good weekend-

Beth

I finally was able to schedule the vaccine for me and the hubs. I have been checking twice a day everyday for the past 2 weeks and nothing was available. The first one is this week and the second one is later in April. This makes me so happy.

Well I have a lot more to learn. We are moving to new technologies and things just don't come as easy to me as they did when I was younger. I have another 12 years to work so I need to keep up with all the new stuff so I stay valuable and marketable.

I'm in another training class yesterday and today. I did get out and walk yesterday and it was awful. It was so windy and not fun at all. I get tired just sitting all day and needed to get out for a bit. It was better than nothing.

Oh, I found another plan I'm going to follow for a bit to see if I can get this meno weight to budge. I'm not a fan of the upsell, but the program itself makes a lot of sense to me. It's all healthy natural foods which is what I want. Once I get going with it I'll have more information to share.

bbl

Wow, its been a very stressful week. Tuesday and Wednesday were 12 hour days due to issues. Thursday my internet was out so I missed a full day of work. It was still out on Friday morning so I went to my SIL's to work. It came back on around lunch time so I drove back home to finish up the day. I also had to work Friday night 6am. On my drive home in snow and ice, my sister called to let me know her best friends son and wife were found dead. We have know her since I was in high school. Her son was only 28 years old. It was carbon monoxide poisoning. https://kdvr.com/news/local/2-centr...nd-dead-in-their-home-investigation-underway/

Workout wise I think I got in 3 days, but it's a blur. On Thursday when the internet was down I did X10, the 52 min premix. This is why I still have my dvd's! I need to trim down my collection and sell the ones I don't use or can't use any longer. Are there any dvd's that you don't have and would like? I'd be happy to send them to you for shipping costs.

I feel you. Things are definitely shifting and the menopot is a real thing. It is so frustrating. On top of the weight gain that refuses to come off and changing body type, I'm so frustrated. My dr. did tell me not to stress about as that makes it much harder to lose and that it would be very difficult at this point in time for the weight to come off. She said focus on eating healthy and exercising regularly. In a few years when I past this meno crap, it will be a bit easier for the weight to come off. I hope she's right. Both of my older sisters in their 60's have not been able to lose the meno weight. Some of it is just hereditary and genes. Just gonna keep doing the best I can to stay healthy.

I'm not sure what we are doing for Christmas. It is my year to host my family on Christmas Eve, but DH doesn't want to. I have a large family with lots of nieces and nephew who bring their significant others and we can have 20 to 45 people. We are planning on doing Christmas with his side of the family on Christmas day. It is 15 people, but most of are working from home and only go out when necessary for groceries. I did buy the spiral ham yesterday in case we decide to move forward. I also bought an air purifier so that should help, but masks-social distancing-and NOT having indoor groups of people is what works best. We don't want to put his mom at risk.

No plans for me this weekend. Recovering from working all day Friday and overnight Friday night is it. I may wrap some of the gifts I have for the girls.
Yeah I got an air purifier also and it really helps ; https://www.protechallergies.com/air-purifier

How was the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame?

The girls are arriving tomorrow. DS1 is putting up the ceiling fan in their room right now. DH put the one up in our room and then stopped. Now the girls' is up. The ceiling fan for my office has been sitting on the floor in here for literally months. Not sure when it will be put up.

Today was the hubs first day in the office for the day shift. He's working 7am-4pm in the office on T/W/TH and working at home on Mondays and Friday. Although I prefer the day schedule, I'm not sure he's a fan. He doesn't like dealing with the traffic. That wasn't an issue when he worked nights. I guess his building is slated to open back up in July. It has 500-600 people, but for right now most people are at home. There may be up to 20 in the office right now.

We both received our first vaccine last week-pfizer. The second dose is at the end of the month. We were both fine, but the shoulder soreness was pretty bad.

I'm thinking of doing RWH UB weights and using STS for legs. The STS workouts are too long for me right now. Every other day I will do TheWkout 30 day challenge for the cardio. This sounds doable for me. I've also been walking when the weather is nice.

ttyl

Hey! Sorry I've been MIA.. We went away over the weekend and I'm still catching up from it. DH fell while we were walking in Cleveland. He's ok, but it took a few days to get past it for him. He blames the mask...

The arm soreness is awful! But worth it. Our state is still in 1A...which is getting ridiculous. My office is constantly looking for qualified people-why not just open it up and let those who want it schedule?

I haven't been doing much except walking the last week-to work and back. Tonight I'm getting my hair trimmed so there goes another workout! I'm with you on the shorter weight workout-maybe I'll do a RWH UB premix after I get home.

TTYL,

Beth

Our state is now vaccinated age 16 and up. If you can get an appointment, you can get vaccinated. The appointments are hard to come by. One of the mass vaccinations sites has shut down because they had 11 people over a 2 hour span that needed to go to the hospital after receiving the J&J vaccine. I haven't heard the latest new on it, they may have opened back up.

The last 2 days I've just walked while the girls rode their bikes. The weather has been fantastic. Today is a little chilly and windy. Today is my off Friday so I will get in a workout. I plan on doing Day 1 of the RTC and RWH Chest and whatever else it. I have the worksheet downstairs and I'm sure it will be disappointing to see how much strength I've lost.

Sorry to hear that DH fell. Yes, I too feel l the mask inhibits my vision. Hopefully he is okay now. Has he gotten back on his bike after his fall and surgery? Hope you have a great weekend.

ttyl

Hi! It finally feels like things are settling down. Have the girls moved back for good? You are so fortunate to have them! Glad you got a couple of walks in along with the weights.

DH is ok. He has not been back on his bike. I think he's going to trade it in for one with fatter tires like I have. We have a rails-to-trails area that is fairly flat and should be joining our town a few blocks away within a year. It's a pain loading up the bikes in the car to get on it about 3 miles outside of town. So we'll probably do more biking once that extension is complete.

DS2 is vaccinated with J&J! DS1 will probably not be for a bit here in PA. April 19th it'll open up to everyone 16 and up.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was fun! The bottom floor was the historical influences into rock music. The 2nd/main floor was the food and gift shop. The third floor was the current class of inductees. The 4th was Pink Floyd's the wall and a movie about getting inducted/past inductees. And the 5th was legends of rock. We saw a lot of costumes, hand-written song lyrics, and pictures. We also listened to non-stop hits! Cleveland sits on lake Erie so we walked around the harbor and were also able to find a sports bar to watch Liverpool in. So, besides the fall it was a great weekend.

Friday I had my second Shingles vaccine and then felt like crap all day Saturday. So I was in my jammies all day and went to bed at 7. Today I feel a whole lot better and hope to get in upper body weights and a walk.

Hope you had a good, relaxing weekend!

Beth

I'm on a roll this week. Walked Sunday and did an upper body workout. Monday I walked to work and did Love Those Legs from Live which is fun and not too heavy. Today was walk to work and then Buff Upper Body Live which was pretty tough. Tomorrow will tell. It might rain or snow in the next couple of days. We are back to playing cards every Wednesday night which is fun and my rest day. I will walk if the weather cooperates.

What are you up to?How is your diet? I'm maintaining weight, but my stomach is expanding...ugh. I did have 8 mini reeses cups at work..why can't I stay away?

Beth

It's been a very stressful week. I try to make sure I workout on the weekend and at couple work days. This last week I got Sat-Mon, and walked on Tuesday. No workouts for W/Th/F. I worked all day yesterday and then from 7pm to 12:30 am and again for an hour this morning. I did do a cardio/leg circuit today so feel good about that. The rest of the day will be lazing around the house and doing chores. If it's warm enough outside, I may go for a walk.

My job is so stressful. I'm hopeful it will ease up a bit after we get moving on a project I'm working on.

We are trying to settle in to DH's day shift and 3 more people in the house. I'm so used to just have a salad or just throwing something together for myself for dinner. It's a real change to have to cook nightly dinners. The girls mom has been great and preparing and feeding the family as has DH. I did cook a couple dinners this week also. I just really don't need the extra added stress.

You had a great workout week. I hear you with your struggles. UGH. I wish I could help but I'm in the same boat. I haven't started the new nutrition plan yet, still listening to all the videos. It is very interesting.

I'll try to pop back in tomorrow. Have a great weekend.

Hey! How are you? Not much new here. Walking to work and trying to get weight work in on the weekends and two times during the week. Did you see the info about the new workouts. I don't know if I should get them on DVD or download. I know I definitely want them though-low impact and I love band work.

How is the adjustment to day shift going? Are you getting any stress relief? Hopefully your project gets started soon!

Going out to dinner tonight for DH's birthday. Tomorrow is cake for DS1's birthday.

Take care and remember to take care of YOU!

Beth

No workouts to report for last week. I have a double ear infection and feel pretty miserable. I was able to get my second covid vaccine since I'm on antibiotics. I feel good about that.

I hurt my back the other night turning over in bed and I was basically bed ridden yesterday. It is feeling much better today. I hope to workout soon.

The girls have been using my workout room to work on a science project that is due on Thursday. I have been out walking when the weather is nice. I am missing my workouts.

My work stress is off the charts. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I may try taking an extra day off every other week to give myself a 4 day weekend.

New workouts...I'll have to check that out. Sorry I've been MIA for so long. I need a vacation.

The only thing with the downloads is they don't have the premixes. I was very disappointed after ordering the downloads and finding that out the hard way. If you don't care about the premixes, then the downloads are fine.

Hope you are doing well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.