Damage Control 2019

How's it going? I walked on Thursday, took Friday off, and did Push/Pull Saturday. I might go to the pool later today. My brother-in-law is doing well at rehab and it looks like he's get discharged on Tuesday. He wants me to monitor him at home so I'll be going over there for a bit after work each day. Walking might become my only exercise! I better get a good raincoat.

Beth

I've been really busy at work and working a lot of hours. I'm learning so much though that I can't really complain. I've been trying workout most days and often go for an hour walk in the afternoon or evening. I'm still going to PT for my knee and it is getting better, albeit very slowly. Slow for me anyway, but right on track with what the therapist said to expect.

I think I only worked out on Monday and walked the rest of the days. This morning I will be able to workout though. I'm perusing sweatflix for a tough circuit. I got my bike and have pumped up the tires. The weather is so nice and I'm going to try to start riding some. We are going to my MIL's for Easter.

How has your week been? Do you have any Easter plans?

I had a pretty good week. I walked to work 3 times this week and did a lower body and an upper body workout. We're going to my mother's for Easter-taking a salad. Not much going on here. I've been tending to my brother-in-law after work since he has foot wounds. He is struggling with being home. It's sad. Aren't you glad it's Friday! Did you have the day off?

I don't know about my bike, yet. I'm glad you're able to get yours out though! DH has ridden a few times already. I just don't find the time with work.

I'm not real motivated to workout much...

Beth

How is your weekend? Happy Easter! I did LI Lower Body Split Sat. and Ramped Up upper body on Sunday (early). I decided to make an apple salad for Easter dinner instead of tossed salad. Off to watch soccer.

Beth

We had a wonderful Easter dinner at my MIL's with all the kids and their SO's. The apple salad sounds delicious! Work is crazy busy and I'm learning so much. Yesterday I did CLB and today I did RWH CST. I've lost some strength since the last time doing RWH. I had to lower my weights to get through it. I also got to go for a walk at lunch. I've had to change my work schedule a bit so I'm still adjusting to it. I was working 9-6, but I now I need to start work around 7:30. This moves up my wake up time and workout time. Some mornings are a struggle, but I'll adjust. I'm taking Friday off, just because I need a day off.

How is your week going?

Yay for Friday. So happy to have a day off. My brain is on overload. Yesterday was an unintentional rest day. I had a dentist appointment in the morning and worked straight through until 6:30pm. Today I hope to clean out under the vanities in all 3 bathrooms, and tackle some of the kitchen cabinets. Our tupperware is out of control and we need to get rid of some. The last thing is to go through my closet and dresser and gather stuff up for goodwill. I'm meeting a girlfriend for breakfast tomorrow.

How was your week? Do you have any plans for the weekend.

I had a busy week. I'm still helping my brother in law after work and then trying to get a workout in. I walked to work Monday and Thursday. Friday was a rest day. Tuesday I did Lite Lower Body Stack and Wed was Upper Stack.

Met a friend last night for a drink-it's been hard to get together. This weekend we're going out to lunch at a new Bar-b-que place to celebrate DH and DS1's birthdays which were this past week. And we have our usual card game Sunday. Other than that I want to do an upper and a lower, get my wash done, and watch soccer!

Beth

My new role is very challenging. The problem is my job is split 50% to the new and 50% to my previous role. The new role takes up much more time. I'm learning so much but it is stressful sometimes.

I'm getting in 5-6 workouts each week. I've been doing my workout as soon as I get up and then start work right afterwards. I miss my morning coffee and computer time. I'm still going to PT for my knee and some days it feels pretty good and other days it hurts.

DH starts a job next week. The hours are Sat-Wed 4pm to 12:30 am. He also had an interview this week at a place he would prefer to work. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

Glad you were able to get out and meet up with a friend! How was the birthday dinner? Did you like the new restaurant? Hope you have a great week!

Hey lady,

We are just working fools right now. I'm shooting for walking and weights-two upper and two lower a week. I did it for the month of April and it felt like enough at this point in my life.

Working/being at work from 8-5 then helping brother in law 4 days a week...I just walk to his house, walk to work, and do weights on the weekends and two times during the week. Plus I'm still stretching for my SI joint two times a day.

Are you sleeping? I am not! I fall asleep for about 3 hours then can not get back to sleep. So I've been getting up earlier and then just walking to work. Is this normal? Should I ask my doc about it? I'm not even worried or thinking about anything...songs go through my head. It's weird.

Glad to hear your DH is getting back in the workforce. It's easier to get a new job if you have a job, so maybe he'll get the better job. If not, he can just keep trying. It's all any of us can do.

Beth

This morning I did a BR w/o and RWH CST & abs. I didn't exercise yesterday other than just walking. When the weather is nice I just can't make myself go to the dark basement when I can get out and enjoy the sun. I usually call my sister and visit with her while I walk. She's not working either so she's pretty much always available when I call. Not much going on this weekend. I probably run a few things to the salvation army and take care of the filing that is piled up on the desk. Oh, they opened a new outlet mall by me so a girlfriend and plan on checking it out tomorrow.

Do you have any weekend plans?

Weekend is just about over here on the East coast! It was the last Saturday of soccer-final games are all next Sunday at 10AM. Liverpool won yesterday, but it doesn't look like they will win the league-probably come in second.

I did some baking today. Not much going on. Saw my parents for cards last night...pretty much just relaxed and did the usual weekend chores. My brother in law is probably only going to need a few more of my visits so that will free up some time during the week.

I did two weight workouts this weekend-legs Saturday and upper body today. I am walking to work as much as the weather will allow.

How was the outlet mall? Did you see the Chicago road trip pics? Cathe looks great as usual!

I have book club Monday night. We read The Moviegoer. I hated it. It was boring and I can't think there will be much to talk about. I'm reading The Night Circus right now on my kindle. It's kind of a mystery/fantasy.

Beth

My MIL fell and I spent most of the day with her yesterday. She fell on Monday or Tuesday night, of course none of us knew about it until Friday. My SIL went over on Saturday and I went on Sunday. She twisted her back and it seems to be getting worse instead of better. Thankfully she is going to the Dr. today. It's hard to see her in so much pain and having to use a walker. I didn't have a chance to go to the outlet mall. My girlfriend and I have rescheduled for May 18th.

Today is DH's first day of work. I have to say I'm relieved to not have the stress of being the only the provider. He's been off for 8 1/2 months, much longer than what I agreed to.

I've been trying to get in weights a few times per week also. I'm not as young as I used to be and my normal routine is definitely changing. I also get out and walk on the days it's nice. I'm still doing IF but haven't really seen any significant weight loss from it. I do feel much better though, no gas, bloating or digestive issues. I do like the Galveston diet, but it is a mind shift to allow yourself to eat so much fat-even if it's healthy fat.

Happy Nurses Day!!! Hope you have great day and week!!

Thanks! Work is going really well lately. I'm getting used to all the child immunizations and it's not so daunting anymore.

I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL. Encourage her to keep using the walker-I hope her back feels better and the doctor can do something.

I did AOLIH today after work. I've decided to do my old go around of: lower, upper, cardio, rest, repeat-for a while. I'm not counting walking to work as a workout anymore. I gained another pound and am getting very frustrated.

Last night I fell asleep pretty easily. I woke up in the middle of the night and took a melatonin then. It took me almost an hour, but then I fell back to sleep until my alarm. I'm going to try this for a while-if I wake up (which I usually do).

I hope your DH has a good first day!

Beth

I looked at the May rotation and I like most of the workouts. Imax 3 was on it and I decided to do that yesterday. Not sure if I should have or not, my knee is killing me this morning. It was a little sore yesterday, but not bad. It wasn't my best performance either since I haven't done any sustained cardio for a while. The BR w/o's are for time, so 30 to 70 seconds of skipping or weights. I've gone back to RWH for weights and today is BSB and abs.

DH had to do a lot of walking and his feet and knees are hurting him. He could've been walking the whole time he was off. He did say it is not a stressful environment though and that is good. He has a 2nd interview tomorrow at another place.

I feel you on the sleepless nights and weight gain. Kavinace is what the Dr. recommended for me. I ordered from on online pharmacy. When taking melatonin, I usually take it before I go to bed and it helps me stay asleep during the night.

Happy Hump Day!

Yes...hump day! The doctors there really appreciate the nurses...it's so nice! I am so happy I made the move even if I don't get much vacation time. I look forward to going to work so much now.

I can't wait to see what Cathe's new workouts look like. I'll definitely get the low impact Imax for sure. Today I did LITE lower body pyramid and matched Cathe's weights. I know it's probably not a real mass building workout, but it's ok! I talked to a friend of mine on the phone earlier (nurse) and she just had her replaced hip break in two. I feel fortunate to be able to walk after hearing that.

My 3 days on, one day off has me more energized knowing that I have a day off coming up! Tomorrow is upper body and Friday I think I'll do Slide and Glide cardio-I may have done it once before; but don't remember it.

I have not used the melatonin the past two nights. I woke up at 4:30 and thought it was too close to when I get up (6:45). Every night is an adventure. If it makes you feel any better, most of the patient in our age group don't sleep either.

Take care of your knee!

Beth

Yesterday ended up being a rest day as I was too tired to work out. DH coming home at 1am wakes me up and I have a hard time getting back to sleep. Last night I took Kavinace to help me sleep and wasn't quite as disrupted when he came home. He is very sore and moving slowly as his new job has him walking a lot.

Today is leg day. I found a couple BR w/o's I'm deciding between for this morning's workout. We had snow/rain the last two days but the sun is out this morning. I'll probably go walk at lunch.

Will you be ordering the Step workouts? I love stepping so I may, but I'm waiting until I can see some previews.

As a new employee, I too accrue PTO at the lowest rate. My accrual rate will go up a tad in October. Essentially it will be 1 more day off per year. It doesn't increase again until year 6.

Do you know when you are visiting your son? Is it near LA? I'm planning on going to LA in late July or early Aug.

Hope you have a great day.

How is your weekend? Sat. was not a formal workout day for me. I did my wash, read, and worked around the house bit. We went for dinner in Williamsport to our new favorite restaurant for pizza and brought a calzone home for tonight!

I did 4DS-kickbox, legs, and abs today. Also watched Liverpool come in second for the league. We're having cards here tonight so have been getting ready for that.

Tomorrow I plan on doing an upper body after work. It's quite rainy here this week so I'm taking walking to work day by day. I got 4 days in last week which is my goal.

Happy Mother's Day!

Beth

My MIL has a compression fracture and has been in a lot of pain. She should hear back from Dr. on the course of action. The kids and I took dinner over and spent a few hours with her on Mother's Day.

DH has started his new job and is slowly getting adjusted to the hours. It is hard having my sleep interrupted at 1am when he gets home from work. He also found out that there is a pay differential for the night shift. I'm sure we will enjoy that. Oh, and he's working 10 days straight. He started a week ago Monday and will finally get Thurs/Fri off this week. Those are his normal days off.

I had my yearly physical on Monday and discussed my weight and nutrition plan. She recommended HIIT training for the weight. I told her I was following a keto-like diet and she is not a fan. She said it is fine for many, but if you are predisposed to high cholesterol (like me), it's probably not the best plan. I should get the results of my blood work later this week. Last year my cholesterol came back high and I did 3 months of vegetarian eating and it was great when re-tested. She basically said there is no "one plan fits all" as each person is unique and has predispositions to different things. Eliminating processed foods, sugar, non-nutritional white carbs, and eating lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, fish and lean meats is the best way to go for most.

Sunday I did To The Max, nothing Monday or Tuesday. I had Dr appts both days. I had my last PT for me knee today and it's still not 100%. I guess I will just have to live with it and try not to injure it. She said it would take a lot of force and twisting to really injure it. I should be able to do most things and modify some things as needed.

How was your Mother's Day?

Yikes! I have not checked in for a week. I am sorry! BIL is back in the hospital-an hour away. He is not doing well mentally or physically. We are having to drive down after work and went yesterday for a few hours. He's talking with a psychiatrist and psychologist and started some anti-depressants. I really don't want him to feel so alone/lonely. He's never married and is trying to come to terms with his mortality. He's having more tests this coming week on his heart and lungs and we're just taking it one day at a time. His body is retaining fluid and they can't figure out why. At this point, he's kind of hoping for open heart surgery. Then we have more recovery (hopefully). It's just a mess.

Needless to say I have not been working out much. I'm still walking back and forth to work. I might go to the pool today-but I need to get my laundry done and go grocery shopping.

How is your week/weekend going? Can you get an MRI of the knee now that PT is over? The doctor recommended diet sounds familiar! How is your MIL feeling? Is your husband adjusting any better?

Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.