Crossfit

Good luck on your Murph, Shannon! You'll do great!! It sounds like you are having a good time with that and that's awesome. I can certainly relate to wanting to do something new. I've been venturing out into some new workouts lately and I'm really enjoying the new challenges. I was getting very bored and also not really seeing any results after years of doing Cathe, who I love, but my body needed something different.

I'm not quite ready to take the CF leap, because I'm still an exercise at home junkie, but I do have an appointment for a biomechanics session with an RKC trainer here on Tuesday. I am looking forward to trying kettlebells, and if I like it, to finding a whole new way to work my body. Maybe I'll even venture outside of my house to actually go to the kettlebell class! I'm glad I was able to find a certified trainer nearby, though, because it seems like form is really important when swinging those, and I have no idea how to do those kinds of workouts.

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck again on Monday!

Eva

I totally understand what it's like to work full time, take care of four kids and have a busy schedule. For me that's part of the reason I'm enjoying crossfit so much. It's MY time. My kids may be younger, 10, 7, 7 and 7, and they aren't involved in too much, yet, but I still need time away. I do have to take them sometimes, but the child care is free and my 4 kids love going. If I had to pay 150 per month, I doubt I would go either. Luckily I only pay $75 per month for unlimited access. It's 12 miles away, which isn't too bad. I've met some really great like minded people, which is also a bonus. Even though I love Cathe workouts, I felt stagnant and ready for a change due to issues within myself. It's been one of the most positive experiences in recent times for me and to me that is a victory.

As far as injuries go, Cathe has taught me so much in regard to proper form. I know how important it is and it's always in the back of my mind. I have seen a lot of terrible form at the box, but in the end, you're responsible for learning proper technique and always using it.

And addressing the fact that it's hard on your joints...definitely not anymore so than a HiiT workout by Cathe.

I know crossfit isn't for everyone and there are many negative attitudes towards it, but I'm glad I didn't let the negativity affect me and went with my gut in making my decision to join a box.

I will never leave Cathe, tho! She is and will always be top dog in my book!

$75...really? That's a great price....and free babysitting? I would almost consider with those added bonuses. The drive for me is about 20 minutes, and I think not having to do that before makes it hard for me to want to continue. But I am looking forward to the next Month's workouts. Trust me, I get the addiction, it's fun and challenging...I teach classes quite similar in format to crossfit and I like the concept of the workouts. I just can't do it right now...mainly because of convenience ( and cost). But I feel lucky to have Cathe and that I can get a good solid workout at home.

Have fun...keep us posted on your progress. I do think it's great that you found something that makes you happy, that's what's most important.

I like the concept of Crossfit, but my experience was not the best when I tried it out for one month in Jan. It was a 20 min drive to the gym & I chose to go to the 5AM slot since traffic would be lighter. There was one trainer there drinking coffee & standing around. She showed me some of the exercises I wasn't familiar with & then I was on my own. One WOD I was done in 17 minutes. I was kinda like, that's it? I figured there would be more camaraderie but I was left alone other than my first visit. I love the idea of pushing myself but definitely did not feel the connection. Hoping it was just this gym I was at.

I like the concept of Crossfit, but my experience was not the best when I tried it out for one month in Jan. It was a 20 min drive to the gym & I chose to go to the 5AM slot since traffic would be lighter. There was one trainer there drinking coffee & standing around. She showed me some of the exercises I wasn't familiar with & then I was on my own. One WOD I was done in 17 minutes. I was kinda like, that's it? I figured there would be more camaraderie but I was left alone other than my first visit. I love the idea of pushing myself but definitely did not feel the connection. Hoping it was just this gym I was at.

That stinks! I wouldn't have liked it either. It did take me a good few weeks to feel comfortable at my box, but the 2 owners were inviting and welcoming from the beginning and lots of people were more than willing to give me guidance. As far as the WOD being only 17 minutes, that's pretty standard for crossfit. You go walls to balls for the entire time. Maybe it's just that it's been such a shock to my system, but I have gotten amazing results already. I have also changed my way of eating. I wasn't eating poorly before at all, but now I'm eating to perform.

She meant 1, lol. Did it today and finished! 61 mins. Horrible time, but I finished and for that I am truly proud.

That's awesome :eek:. Congrats!

I need to ask you Shannon, have you done front barbell squats yet? If so, how do you place your hands? (underneath or crossed). I'm going to most likely be starting Nia Shank's 15 Week Muscle Sculpting Program (a PDF file) in month or so, and it has a lot of basic Crossfit type compound moves, like the front barbell squat. Also, how do you place your feet? (slightly outwards or directly in front).

TIA!

Natasha

That's awesome :eek:. Congrats!

I need to ask you Shannon, have you done front barbell squats yet? If so, how do you place your hands? (underneath or crossed). I'm going to most likely be starting Nia Shank's 15 Week Muscle Sculpting Program (a PDF file) in month or so, and it has a lot of basic Crossfit type compound moves, like the front barbell squat. Also, how do you place your feet? (slightly outwards or directly in front).

TIA!

Natasha

Natasha-my hands are under the bar, just outside my shoulders, with my elbows extended out (in line with my shoulders) as far as possible. This allows for a more balanced stance. I keep my feet hip distance apart with my toes slightly pointed out. when I squat, I make sure that my knees push out as the tendency is to let them go in.

HTH!

Just wanted to update anyone who is interested.

Have you ever started something and it ends up being life-changing? Crossfit, along with eating to perform (ETP) have been this for me. What started out as a change in working out due to boredom has ended up as a very personal journey for me.
I started crossfit in April because I just needed something different. I knew within the first week of real workouts that I was addicted. It was a big step for me to go somewhere to workout where other people would be watching me. I'm very much introverted. But I've come to realize that no one is "watching" you, they are there supporting you, encouraging you, making you better. There's nothing like being able to put 150lbs on your back and deep squat it 5x, or taking a 105lb barbell and pushing it over your chest. It has made me feel empowered and made me realize that not only am I strong physically, but mentally as well. After struggling for so many years with body image and feeling fat and ugly, I'm slowly coming out of that. After many years of eating 1500 calories a day, I now realize that has not only made me weak, but perpetuated my poor mental status. Through crossfit I have learned to love my body and what it can do and have realized it needs to be fed!! Yesterday I ate 2300 calories/98g fat/203g carbs and guess what, the scale was down 1.5lbs this morning. The best part is, is that the number on the scale isn't important to me anymore. When I first started to feed my body by upping calories, I did gain a few lbs because my body was fed! My cells were full. Now that my body knows I'm going to feed it every day with lots of whole foods and calories and fat and carbs, it is showing the results. I have more definition now after 3 months of crossfit than I have had in my life and I weigh about 10lbs more than I did 3 years ago.

So to those that are so against crossfit because everyone gets injured, I say you're just uneducated about the sport. The only injury I have gotten is a scraped up shin from a missed 20 inch box jump, which anyone could get from missing their step at home. I lift with proper form first and foremost and I'm not out to beat the next person. I'm doing this all for me. To finally love myself. This is what crossfit has been for me.

Still love Cathe, tho!!

An introvert venturing out

Just wanted to update anyone who is interested.

Have you ever started something and it ends up being life-changing? Crossfit, along with eating to perform (ETP) have been this for me. What started out as a change in working out due to boredom has ended up as a very personal journey for me.
I started crossfit in April because I just needed something different. I knew within the first week of real workouts that I was addicted. It was a big step for me to go somewhere to workout where other people would be watching me. I'm very much introverted. But I've come to realize that no one is "watching" you, they are there supporting you, encouraging you, making you better. There's nothing like being able to put 150lbs on your back and deep squat it 5x, or taking a 105lb barbell and pushing it over your chest. It has made me feel empowered and made me realize that not only am I strong physically, but mentally as well. After struggling for so many years with body image and feeling fat and ugly, I'm slowly coming out of that. After many years of eating 1500 calories a day, I now realize that has not only made me weak, but perpetuated my poor mental status. Through crossfit I have learned to love my body and what it can do and have realized it needs to be fed!! Yesterday I ate 2300 calories/98g fat/203g carbs and guess what, the scale was down 1.5lbs this morning. The best part is, is that the number on the scale isn't important to me anymore. When I first started to feed my body by upping calories, I did gain a few lbs because my body was fed! My cells were full. Now that my body knows I'm going to feed it every day with lots of whole foods and calories and fat and carbs, it is showing the results. I have more definition now after 3 months of crossfit than I have had in my life and I weigh about 10lbs more than I did 3 years ago.

So to those that are so against crossfit because everyone gets injured, I say you're just uneducated about the sport. The only injury I have gotten is a scraped up shin from a missed 20 inch box jump, which anyone could get from missing their step at home. I lift with proper form first and foremost and I'm not out to beat the next person. I'm doing this all for me. To finally love myself. This is what crossfit has been for me.

Still love Cathe, tho!!

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for coming back on this thread keeping us updated on your crossfit journey. Your post has caught my attention because somehow I relate to it. I relate to your post cause I am quite introvert and feel it's time i open up :D:D

I have been regularly exercising at home 98% cathe for about 7 years now. Discovering cathe is one of the best thing that ever happened to me! I have come such a long way and now feel it is time to venture out as well. I feel ready now ;-). I can fully understand where you are coming from with loving your body and wanting to venture out. You have just opened my eyes as i now realise it is high time I do something outside home! I had already planned few activities priop to reading your post but now I have definitely made up my mind.

I am also interested in olympic lifting. What interest me the most is the technique. I have always thought technique play an important role in lifting alongside the ability to keep constant tension rather than the weight load.

That being said I do not think I will be lucky to find a competent professional I could possibly rely on at competitive price. I am definitely starting to inquire about crossfit training in my area.

In meantime, I just ordered KCM L.I.FT which I believe is a taster of olympic lifting. I can not wait to try it out.;)

Well done shannon, thanks again for sharing your journey

Shannon,

There are really no words to describe how awesome this post was. You are definitely an inspiring, kick a** woman! I love it :eek:

I find that with every strength training rotation I embark, or every time I get out of my comfort zone, I learn something new about myself. I won't lie, I want to obviously build a better body, but that's not all I care about anymore. Is my body getting stronger? Check. Is my mind getting stronger? Check. Do I love my body and all the amazing things it is capable of? Check. AM I AWESOME? YES!

All the best Shannon! Keep on being awesome ;)

Shannon, thanks so much for the update...very interesting....I have been looking into doing Crossfit here by me...but I have to say the cost is a bit daunting...$200 for the first bit and evaluation and then 95 per month thereafter...I just keeping thinking that with that much money I could really get the fitness flooring I have been wanting....we are on a tight budget as it is...I just wish it wasn't so dang expensive!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.