Commit to get Fit & Lean for March 2014

Morning, im enjoying my coffee while its quiet. :)

I weighed this morning and im down 1.5 lbs this week :D so thats a total of 8lbs so far!! I'm thrilled to see the scale moving, I've been logging my food and getting my workouts in pretty consistently. I didn't lose any weight for two weeks and was ready to scream. I can remember 10 years ago I would lose 4-5lbs every two weeks but I was very disciplined with my eating....

I'll get my DH to measure me when he wakes up. Maybe I will see some lost there too.

Yesterday was a rest day and today I really want to get in a TG then some cardio. I will have to wait and see how tired I am after work. We're going to our favorite Mexican restaurant tonight and I can't wait to indulge - im going coo coo over here with all this food logging :eek:

bb tonight w/personals

Good morning,

Last night I did P90X3 Isometric. That's it! Ended up relaxing most of the day, watching a movie:D

Today is P90X3 Accelerator.

Amelia - congrats on your weight loss:D You are on fire, girl! Keep up the good work.

Debbie - sorry you didn't get your workout in last night. Have you done Isometric yet? That one is tough;)

Kirstin - remember my dogs were already 9 years old when we took them to training, they learned very quickly:) Baxter is young he will have no problem walking off leach. BTW, they do practice off leach in a confined room first, otherwise your dog will run off in the wilderness:p

Waving Hi to everyone that checks in after me today. BBL!

'Evening!
Belinda, isn't one of the wonderful things about having a great collection is its variety! Don't remember you liking barre. I do but feel like my upper body responds better to more resistance. But my legs! Ow that's how they feel about it. Do you have Extend's Lean and Chisled? That's one of my favs, along with Cathe's.
Amelia, 8 #s!!!! Terrific! You must be so stoked w/your progress. Congrats. Did you get your acrylics yet?
Kristen, did you get snow? We didn't up here but it is extremely windy. Have a mtg at SED tomorrow and your fav will be there.
Kelly, sorry your little one is sick. Its so hard to see them suffer.
Vicky, did you get your intervals in today? Wish I could but I do try to get walking bursts in and somedays manage to be in bldgs with lots of stairs. My dh would always do the grocery shopping if he lives in your area.
Melissa, how's the adapting back to classes? Don't let stress get to you.
Deb, I was wondering do you use yoga for most of your strength workouts? Lately, I've been thinking of doing it. I love the feeling after yoga and do feel it in my shoulders and arms. Was thinking perhaps while I'm building up endurance for the May walk of alternating cardio w/yoga and a day of hiit. Sometimes squeezing in 100s. Hard to believe how fast our kids grow up. It doesn't seem that long ago mine were little.
Did Hiit this morning and managed to get 100 bicep curls and delt raises. Stress eating due to fed and state reports - wish I would turn to an apple but did enjoy a few thin mints!
Cookie

Good evening ladies,

Did the last workout in the STS series tonight. Yay! 3 times through STS :D Tomorrow is my rest day.

Cookie--I can't drag out my Weds workout the way I can Tues & Fri when I'm off work, so intervals kept brief today. And I feel you with the stress eating. Why can't I crave a piece of fruit that hasn't been dipped in chocolate?

punka---congrats on the weight loss. It's so hard to do. I'll have to tell you my story with hypothyroidism & weight gain & all the other lovely symptoms. It took me several years to get back to normal. And now I'm 50 for goodness sake. Oh, hormones! Hope they don't throw me another curve ball any time soon:mad:

lil lock---is Aiden better now?

Hello to everyone else. I love hearing recommendations for workout dvd's. I don't know if I'm ready to expand my collection right now, but in a few months I'll likely be looking for some to add some variety. I have so many Cathe dvd's, I probably need to try a few other instructors. After doing P90X for some quite some time, Tony Horton stopped getting on my nerves. Dare I say, I even like him now :p I prefer controlled strength workouts (body weight or dumbbells, etc) over jumping around. I see that a few of you do barre. I've tried a class and liked it, but I don't have any barre dvd's. That might be fun to add to my mix :)

Hi,

Ugh, no workout again. I needed to finish my taxes and that set me back but at least they are done:) I did walk a lot today, wish my pedometer was working.

So many people are telling me they put on weight this winter (including me:eek:).

Belinda - Too funny about squeezing in another workout. I didn't realize you liked barre either.

Amelia - Great job with your weight loss you are motivating me.

Cookie - I like yoga for upper body strength & core but for me not enough for my legs. The instructor is always queing us to engage/tighten our legs but it just isn't enough. Good job with the 100's.

vbrady - Maybe you can try some of the free workouts on you-tube and see what you like. Belinda told us about a bunch and they are good (such as Jessica Smith).

Waves hi to Kristin, Melissa & Kelly

Goodnight:)

Good morning,

I have P90X3 Pilates on tap today.

Cookie - Alesia is doing lot's of Barre, she got me into it:eek: I like variety and mixing things up. Good job on your workouts and steps yesterday. Sorry, about your stress level. Hope it gets better. What's wrong with mint:p

Debbie - I think winter everybody puts on a few pounds. Once the weather gets nicer people are more outside walking/biking.

Vicki - congrats on finishing STS. What will you do after your recovery week? Try out some barre workouts from Jessica Smith TV. She is fantastic! I like Tony, he makes me laugh in P90X3. He is a goofball.

Waving Hi to everyone that check in after me. BBL!

'Morning!
Belinda, I always envision myself looking so graceful doing barre and love how my legs feel from it. Then I come upstairs and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and no one else who ever apply the word graceful to me! But as Deb says, I look good in the basement! TurboBarre is really good.
Vicky, I also have a lot of Leah Sarago's and those will work all muscles, many you didn't even know you had! Or at least I didn't. Really, really like how she works the core w/o the feeling of dread in Hardcore Conditioning ones. Also love Jessica Smith! Belinda introduced me to her workouts. Those are my three favs and here's the order: Cathe, Jessica, Leah. Oh, and Ultimate Yogi by Travis Elliot.
Deb, I'm finally accepting my body type! Yeah, I know it has only been many decades. Kept wanting to change it and that's obviously not happening. I'm going to try to Travis for more of my strength, since my upper body responds well to resistance and strength and I need to get my stretching and balance in. Getting taxes done are a relief but such a headache. Will you be able to do something for yourself today?
Already at work. Lots of meetings, including a dinner one that will go late. Step Blast to wake me up.
Waving hi to everyone else!
Cookie

Hello hello! I gotta say I'm LOVING Low Impact Series so far - I've done two (Low Impact Challenge Tuesday and Turbo Barre yesterday), and they've been great!! Turbo Barre kicked my booty! Aiden is feeling better - must have been something he ate or he ate too much too fast or something like that, cause he was only sick once, no fever or any other issues along with it, and was back to normal after. Yay! Had a girls night last night with my bestie - we went to a comedy show called the Pump and Dump - she writes and sings hilaious songs regarding kids, parenting, etc. OMG it was a blast! Ate too much and had a couple drinks, but it was a great, much needed night out. Today will be the elliptical as I didn't get up early enough this morning to do a dvd.

Amelia - great job on your loss!! That's gotta be a great feeling! :)

LOL Cookie, I do the same thing - I always feel so good and fit etc after working out then reality sets in again. Oh well. Enjoy Step Blast, that's one of my fave step dvd's.

Hi to everyone else, hope you have a great day!

Kelly

Good evening ladies,

Today is my rest day and good thing, because I am just now getting home.

Debbie--good job getting your taxes done. That reminds me...

bayerngirl--I don't do a recovery week after STS. I just move on to the next dvd in my rotation. For upper body (on Saturday), I'm going to start my rotation over with Pyramid Upper, one of my favs. I think maybe I like it so much because it was one of the first Cathe workouts that I did (from Fit tv). I'm def going to try some barre workouts just to switch things up. I like yoga, but I don't like doing yoga with a dvd (I prefer classes). I think it's because I get all turned around. Which is also why I can't do step dvd's. Actually, I can't even do those in classes! I'm so busy trying to figure out the moves that I don't really get much of a workout in. I guess if I went enough, I'd figure it out. I'm more of a "free-dancer" though :eek:

lil lock--great that Aiden's sickness was a one-time thing. Some of these viruses that have been going around have lasted days :( Comedy show sounds fun. There's always so much material when it comes to kids & parenting. I love the shows on Nick at Night (Take Me to Your Mother, NickMom Night Out, Parental Discretion). My kids might be older (I have two in college and a 6th-grader), but I can still remember the days :confused:

One thing I can say at my ripe old age, I don't really work out for weight loss anymore. I found that the numbers on the scale discouraged me more often than encouraged. And with my battle with hypothyroidism, I had to figure out a way to not let the scale get me down. It was so gradual, that I'm not even quite sure when the transition happened, but I just started working out to be stronger instead of being lighter. I stopped doing cardio to burn calories. I only worked out to be stronger. And a wonderful thing happened, as I built muscle mass, the weight came off and I got smaller and stronger. Instead of paying attention to my weight, I paid attention to my % of body fat. You have to be soooo much more patient to see that number change on the scale. When they say that strong is the new skinny, that's the truth for me. I'm still kind of amazed that I only work out 4 times per week (strength workouts, not cardio) and I don't count calories or measure my food or keep a food journal. I do love to cook, and I cook most of my meals, so that certainly helps, but I've always done that. The big change was in my approach to exercise. Putting emphasis on building muscle instead of burning calories is so much easier, mentally and physically. But I put everything I've got into my strength workouts. No sissy weights for me. And I'm very, very consistent, but that's not so hard to do just 4 days a week. And I've (kind of) got my knee injury to thank for it. The injury forced me to re-evaluate how I was going to stay fit without being able to run or jump. I think that I tend to find a silver lining in most situations, and my transition from exercising like crazy to my new routine is def a silver lining :) And another silver lining, by lifting heavy 4 days a week, I don't have to do core workouts, which I've never liked. Heck, doing pullups and chinups works my core more than all the sit-ups I've ever done. And I can honestly say that I owe a great deal of thanks to Cathe. She was the first female instructor I ever saw who took strength training seriously. I saw her and her crew doing it, so I thought, well then I can, too! That's probably why she will always be my fav. She made it ok to be a strong female :D It feels pretty good knowing that I can kick ass (and look good doing it :rolleyes:).

Hello to everyone else! --Vicki

Hi everyone! I had my course last night, and I did not get home and eat dinner until after 8, so I was beat. It was my planned rest day anyway. Tonight I did CF Low Impact Tabata premix along with X10 Cardio Blast. I also walked the dog and jumped on the trampoline with my little guy. He begged to go on it even though it was cold out. Where are you spring?

Anyway, nothing else new to report. Same old, same old.

Vicki- that is an incredible story of success. Have you ever written a success story for Cathe's website? You should think of doing it.

Kelly- my favorites from that series are Afterburn and Athletic Training. Warning: Afterburn bites, lol. You will have leg and butt DOMS for sure after that one. The yoga dvds are good too. I need to do more yoga.

Cookie- no snow for me, thank goodness. So how was your meeting with SED and my favorite person in the whole, wide world? Did I tell you that my Owl Center offered me a position as a teacher leader for my district, with more money? I've decided to take it, even though I have to complete my hours before June. I have a great partner and we have some wonderful ideas. I'm excited and honored that they are giving me this opportunity. I am nervous too.

Belinda- and they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, huh? That's great that your dogs learned so quick, especially being older, adult dogs. The one thing she showed me on Monday for nipping is really working. My dog is a goof.

Deb- I think with the cold weather and all the snow, everyone did put on weight this winter. How could you not? We'll get it off. . . it might help if I stop eating pizza so much, lol.

Waving hello to Amelia and Melissa!

Okay, off to bed.

Kristin

Hi,

Today I took a yoga class and we practiced crow I was able to take both feet off of the floor for about a second LOL. I practiced a bit at home tonight but still only for a second:)

Belinda - I saw over on OD your thread on 21 day fix that is amazing you put the eating program together.

Kristin - I guess comfort food was the only way to get through this winter;) I was wondering if you had any snow, TG you didn't.

Cookie - It must be so hard to get up in the morning after a dinner meeting but at least it's Friday tomorrow:)

Kelly - You are going to love Low Impact series that is a great series!

Vickie - Awesome success story and amazing that you get so much done in 4 day workouts.

Waves hi to Amelia & Melissa

Goodnight:)

'Morning!
Belinda, I'll have to go check out your thread. Kristen and you are reminding me by talking about dogs that I need to reschedule the vet appt. Are you going to take a rest day in between then with sts?
Kelly, glad your son is feeling better. I think TurboBarre is tricky since it doesn't seem that bad and then the next days my thighs are definitely talking to me. AfterBurn butt doms from the paper cups!
Vicky, thanks for sharing your story. You should share that it as a success story. Did you know our Kristen was one and Amelia another?!! I need to have my thyroid checked, it has been very slow for a few years. Saw something the other day your story reminded me of: for cardio, just lift faster.
Kristen, congrats on the Owl offer. Will it be full time or in addition to the classroom? He actually sat and listened for about an hour and then had a discussion for another half! Back again this morning and then curriculum writing in afternoon. Its not my favorite thing, plus I have to do more of it tomorrow!
Amelia, are you busy with work and hiking? How's everything?
Deb, think drinking wine w/dinner last night might have bothered my sleep - b/c I've been awake for hours. It was a malbec so I thought I'd see how it affects my foot but instead my sleep is more out of whack! Crow?!!! Wow, that's impressive. Very impressive. You must have great upper body and core strength. Just the other day someone was saying that doing crow was one of their life goals. Congrats.
Okay, now it is time for my workout. Travis is calling me.
Cookie

Morning girls,

Im so sleepy this morning, I have to be at work in an hour - gah! Just three more days and I asked for all next week off to be with my kids during there spring break :) Can't wait to have an entire week off of sleeping late and being lazy :eek:

Yesterday I did a 30 min TG workout and thats it. Today will be cardio and since its raining outside hiking is out of the question :(

Im sorry im so short on time for personals but I promise I'm getting in those workouts. I will try and catch up with everybody over the weekend :)

oh and I got my art supplies but no art yet, LOL. Perhaps Monday when I get to laz around ;)

Good morning & happy Friday!

I love Fridays for the obvious reason plus it's my day off :D Going to be joining my co-workers later for my birthday lunch. My pick? Thai! I freaking love pad Thai! And I haven't had it since my last birthday lunch. Good thing I have a lower body workout today because I'm going out tonight for my birthday dinner. Teacher workday for my daughter's school, so she & I just got back from walking Stella. Beautiful day so far even though it's cloudy and supposed to rain. So much green & blossoms. But my spring allergies are killing me right now. I took sudafed, 3 ibuprofen, and a 24-hour allergy tab this morning and am hoping they will kick in soon (I also took a 24-hour allergy tab last night AND two benedryl. It's a wonder that I'm awake & functioning). Today I'm doing STS Hypertrophy Disc 20.

It's sounds like a couple of you are teachers (or almost teachers)? If so, thank you! Such a challenging job! My 6th grader is at a first-year charter school this year. Boy, those teachers have REALLY been challenged! Looking forward to an even better second year :)

All of you talking about yoga makes me want to go take a class :) It's been a while. The good thing is that I live in a huge neighborhood that offers several fitness classes including zumba, tai chi, and yoga. I used to take a belly dance class here, and it was tons of fun, and surprisingly, a full body workout. I wish that they would offer that class again. I've never tried tai chi, but I've got a feeling that it might be a little too slow for me. Who knows though? I need to find our neighborhood newsletter (but my house is a wreck, so good luck to me) and look up the days/times for the yoga class. It's nice because it's just a drop-in class, $10. Zumba is only $5.

Cookie---I'd def get your thyroid checked. So many women have hypothyroidism. It usually rares its ugly head in your 40's. I started having symptoms around age 43, I think. It starts off very slowly. First it was just slow weight gain. I'm short, so any weight gain is very noticeable to me. And I've always been very trim, so when I gained a few pounds one winter (like I usually do) and couldn't take it off that spring, I was like, huh, that's weird. Guess I'm just getting old and my metabolism is slowing. Then the next winter, I gained a few more pounds and couldn't take it off the next spring either. None of my old dieting tricks to take off the winter weight would work. Now I was starting to get a little pissed. So of course, I ramped up the workouts and cut my calories. But nothing worked! At one point one (or maybe more) of my kids said that I worked out all the time. That made me realize that something just wasn't right. But I just ignored my gut instinct and kept on working out and dieting. But things only got worse. I'd sleep over 8 hours and still be so exhausted the next day that I'd go back to bed and sleep several more hours. It was like I was drugged. Then I noticed that my hair was thinning (and I've already got thin hair :(). One upside though, I now have very little hair on my legs. I rarely have to shave :). But the real kicker was when my heart started racing for no reason. I could just be standing there having a conversation with you when my heart would start racing. All I could hear was my pulse swooshing in my ears. That freaked me out because my 42-year old brother had just had a heart attack a few months prior to my symptoms, and I was 45. I went to the doctor, and the jerk was like, oh, you're just getting older. And the racing heart is probably just stress. I tell you what, the only thing stressing me out was that jackass of a doctor. I asked him to run a basic thyroid test, the TSH, and he reluctantly agreed. Of course, it came back high, indicating hypothyroidism. I switched doctors and started T-4 replacement drugs. I was so happy to finally know what was wrong. But after being on the drugs for a long time, my weight gain never came off. The other symptoms resolved though. After doing some research, I learned that synthetic T-4 replacement often does not help with the weight gain caused by the extraordinarily slow metabolism as a result of hypothyroidism. Well, I had kind of accepted that "that was that". I'd had a good run. I had been trim all my life to this point, and if nothing else, I had certainly learned to be empathetic for others who struggled with their weight. Then, after my knee injury that rocked my workout world and my transition to primarily strength workouts (and Cookie, you are right. If I want a cardio challenge, I just lift faster, basically a muscle endurance workout vs strength or hypertrophy), I finally seemed to find the key to revving up my metabolism---muscle gain. And I was always pretty muscular, so I was surprised at how effective building even more muscle was. And I'm not some juiced-up looking kind of muscular. But I am pretty darned ripped for an old lady :rolleyes: If you've never had your thyroid checked, and you struggle with your weight despite working out and eating a pretty clean diet and have other symptoms as well, go have at least a TSH test done (though it's not the best way to detect hypothyroidism, it's the one docs usually go to first).

You ladies are truly inspirational! I mean that! Most of my friends are marathoners/tri-athletes, soccer players, boot campers, crossfitters, occasional work out people, or people who never work out. It's so hard to find women who work out regularly at home, and of course, working out at home isn't very social, though I'd swear that if I ran into Cathe or her crew, I'd half expect them to know me with as much time as I've spent with them over the last several years ;) I was just telling one of my co-workers that I don't really know any women who are serious workout-at-home people, especially for strength. Most of my strength friends go to CrossFit, which just wasn't the right fit for me :( I've really enjoyed reading all of your posts, and I'm encouraged to continue with what I'm doing and also to add in some occasional challenges, like yoga, to shake things up a bit.

Hello to everyone else, and I hope you have an awesome Friday! ---Vicki

Funny thing during my workout today. I keep a log so that I know what weights to use for different routines/exercise. So I'm doing the lateral step up with a 25 lb weight, per my log, then I'm supposed to use a 20 lb weight for the side slide lunge with disc. Not sure when I got off, but during the 3rd set, I realized I was using the 25 lb weight I had used with the lateral step up when doing the side slide lunge. I don't know if I did that with the first two sets or not (because I had a 20 lb weight sitting out for the sit and stands). But now that I know I can use a 25 lb weight, I can't unknow it! I'm happy that I'm getting stronger, but now I have to log 25 lbs whenever I do a side slide lunge again :confused: Usually, I deliberately go up in weight when I feel I am ready. Just goes to show that I can probably push myself a little harder ;)

Hey girls,

Yesterday I did a 3 mile power walk with Leslie after work, today will be a TG workout + a cardio. Its raining and cold out today so no hiking :mad:

Ok...so no laughing ;) I painted yesterday and although it didn't look like the original artist painting, I think I did ok. There are a few techniques that I will need to work on ( to say the least :eek:) But here it is. My first painting (which is basically a bunch of dots, LOL)

100MEDIA$IMAG0149-11 (1).jpg

I think on my next attempt I will paint a tree with flowers :) Should be interesting...

Vbrady- I used to love yoga, would do it 2 times a week. I need to stick it in my workout rotation but kinda requires a quiet area and around here thats nearly impossible ( 2 kids, 3 dogs, 1 husband who is a kid :eek:). How was your Thai food yesterday? I've never had it :eek:

Belinda-Awesome job on your workout girl, hows your sinuses these days? This week I have done 3 sinus rinses because of my allergies, no meds yet though :D

Cookie-Wine/alcohol will keep me up too. How was your workout with travis?

Debbie-Congrats on your crow position! Your getting so strong with all the yoga..makes me want to pull out my yoga dvd's:)

Kristin-Great job on your workout the other day. Are you on spring break too? And speaking of spring - where the hecks it at?

Kelly-Low Impact Series is so much fun and challenging. I think my favorite workout is afterburn on there, or cardio super sets. :)

Melissa-Hows school and everything in between?

Good Saturday afternoon!

Today I am doing a combination of the shoulders portion of Slow & Heavy Legs & Shoulders, the back portion of P90X Legs & Back, and the bonus rear delts portion of X-train. It's a rainy day but in the 60's, so not too bad and at least the pollen count won't be as high. Took Stella for a walk during a lull in the rain :)

Amelia---the pad Thai was delish, as always. If you ever have a chance to try Thai food, get the pad Thai. Everyone loves it. If you like spicy, ask for 3 stars. My 6th grader went with me, and she had the pad Thai, too, and loved it, but she got hers not spicy. And because it's a noodle-based dish, I had plenty of leftovers (I had some for breakfast this morning!). I really like your painting! Very cool :cool:

Cookie--alcohol always does a number on the quality of my sleep. That's why I don't drink on weekdays. I had a couple of margaritas last night and a shot of tequila at my surprise birthday dinner party :eek:, and I'll be having some more margaritas this afternoon before we head to a hockey game with friends. I guess I make up for lost drinking time on the weekends :p

Bought a used workout dvd yesterday from a used book store. I had a bunch of books to sell so used my store credits. It's Amy Bento (never heard of her) Slo-Mo Strength Challenge. Right up my alley :) I like Cathe's Slow & Heavy series, so hoping this will be a good addition to my collection.

Y'all have an awesome weekend! Tomorrow is my rest day. Will be going to my daughter's soccer game, then to a playgroup reunion for a playgroup that my now 19-year old daughter was in. Should be fun :)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.