Coffee?

112toGuru

Cathlete
Does anyone know about normal coffee consumption, I'm pretty sure I drink too much, health-wise, how many cups is okay? I know green tea is what I probably ought to drink, but I can't seem to make the switch, I even tried Dandyblend & kaffree Roma, both coffee substitutes, but I always end up going back to the real stuff (all this caffeine just can't be good)

Any suggestions?:(

Linda

2-3 cups should be ok. Alot of people actually consume a cup pre-workout. Caffeine does have some health benefits. Like with anything....moderation. You are right, green tea is good for you. I drink a cup of green tea with my breakfast and take a cup of coffee with me to work.....best of both worlds!

I always have one cup in the morning....the problem was drinking it at work. :confused: So on days that I work, it's tea only @ work. On my days off /when I'm with my mother, I will allow myself the second cup. I was also getting nusto with the caffeine. To be honest, even though green tea isn't my absolute fave, it's not THAT bad and I do feel better for longer lately! I made myself make the switch, and truth be told, with me it was more about the habit of having a mug in my hand and sipping from something....lol

Iris

I was also getting nusto with the caffeine. To be honest, even though green tea isn't my absolute fave, it's not THAT bad and I do feel better for longer lately! I made myself make the switch, and truth be told, with me it was more about the habit of having a mug in my hand and sipping from something....lol

Iris

I think that's what's happening to me
and I was having a cup before working out,
and after
and afternoon gosh when am I not drinking coffee?

thanks for the input...green tea, I better just start...tomorrow...I've already messed up again today:rolleyes:

Linda

Yesterday had green tea in the morning, I'm trying a divide and conquer approach to cut back, the morning was when I was drinking the most, so I just tried to cut that first, and today the same... so far, okay but it's only 2 days, my workouts are now changing a bit with more cardio in the morning, and some more steady state during the week, I didn't miss that morning bit so much yet.:)

time to take the pooch:

blogSpan.jpg

Update....

I've found the middle ground, Chock full o' Nuts "1/2 the caffeine" right on the front of the can, yep, going down the grocery isle, and there it was! perfect. When did they start making this? all that matters, it's here now :D

Can't even tell the difference.

Small steps.....:)

Linda

I still have coffee in the morning, I wondered whether the the caffeine is good though, hence cutting down on that. Seriously thinking of switching to green or black teas, I like the Earl grey & English styles, a good swap for black coffee.

:)

I usually drink one cup in the morning and one cup before workout, always with milch (better for the stomach) and always Italian espresso coffee (that's just because I'm Italian :).

Two years ago, I had a very stressful period, start to drink more coffee than necessary and my stomach was giving me a lot of problems, so the doctor suggested me to stop to drink coffee for some time. In the beginning, I though this would be very hard, but in reality in a few days I got used and, since that time, I have no more dependence from caffeine.

Sometime I would like to drink some tee, but, if I do, I cannot sleep the whole night, even if I've drunk it a lot of hours before :-(

Update:

Second day in a row haven't had any C-O-F-F-E-E......didn't think it could be done. But then I used to eat cheeseburgers all the time & last year, one I think & one cheese steak (yay, Philly) I think trips to fast food establishments was/is at an all time low. I don't miss it at all, but I'm missin' the coffee.

Loose English Breakfast Tea, a worthy substitute, and Green Tea too. I did cut way back on the coffee before switching. We'll see....

:)

I have at one cup a day with my workout (it's pure addiction) and make it half caf half decaf. That said... when I can get off coffee - my eyes look brighter, I have no dark circles under my eyes and my skin appears less dehydrated. Why oh why can't I choose vanity over coffee? Why?

Maybe because coffee is highly addictive. Not to mention when people are ill, the first three things they're told to do are Stop Smoking, Stop Drinking (alcohol), and Stop Drinking coffee.

I think you are right, and since the "runners" say a cup gets all the systems up & running before a workout, I'll cave, and keep it at a cup or two a day.

I love coffee.:)

I drink a cup a day (2 on some days/weekends). At one point, I was experiencing a lot of health issues, & at the same time I realized that I was truly addicted to coffee (I was counting one day & lost track after the 7th cup :eek: ). So I decided then and there to quit. I quit for 2 reasons 1) because I don't like being addicted to ANYTHING, & wanted to prove to myself that I could go without it & 2) to see if it would help with the health problems.

I quit cold turkey, & after two years realized 2 things 1) I could stop if wanted to, & 2) it didnt help solve any health issues, lol. As a matter of fact, the doctor that I was seeing for those issues " the time recommended that I start drinking a cup or two a day. :confused: lol. It was actually kinda funny, because when i told her I didn't drink it, she started giving me tips on how to slowly adapt my taste buds to it, lol ( she thought I didnt drink it because I didn't like it :p ).

So, after going without it for years, & no longer feeling addicted to it (I.e. Coffee mug attached to my hand at all times :rolleyes: ) I am actually quite content and guiltless having my cup of coffee in the morning ( & the occasional nightcap w/DH ;) )

That being said...once in a while I will take a week or so to "detox" (go coffee-less) & prove to myself/ make sure that I am no longer addicted ;)

I drink a cup a day (2 on some days/weekends). At one point, I was experiencing a lot of health issues, & at the same time I realized that I was truly addicted to coffee (I was counting one day & lost track after the 7th cup :eek: ). So I decided then and there to quit. I quit for 2 reasons 1) because I don't like being addicted to ANYTHING, & wanted to prove to myself that I could go without it & 2) to see if it would help with the health problems.

I quit cold turkey, & after two years realized 2 things 1) I could stop if wanted to, & 2) it didnt help solve any health issues, lol. As a matter of fact, the doctor that I was seeing for those issues " the time recommended that I start drinking a cup or two a day. :confused: lol. It was actually kinda funny, because when i told her I didn't drink it, she started giving me tips on how to slowly adapt my taste buds to it, lol ( she thought I didnt drink it because I didn't like it :p ).

So, after going without it for years, & no longer feeling addicted to it (I.e. Coffee mug attached to my hand at all times :rolleyes: ) I am actually quite content and guiltless having my cup of coffee in the morning ( & the occasional nightcap w/DH ;) )

That being said...once in a while I will take a week or so to "detox" (go coffee-less) & prove to myself/ make sure that I am no longer addicted ;)

Some 8 years ago (I think) that's how I quit cigarettes, course I haven't since and don't smoke at all now and find the smell even other people's rather disgusting (I used to kind of like the smell of it, now I could just gag) for me it was caffeine overload, coffee mug after mug and diet coke, that combination is horrible for you. I saw a picture of what diet coke does to a bone left in a glass of it, left long enough there'd be no bone left! I do think coffee is an artificial way to get going in the morning, sigh, sometimes, just like having a cup.

Funny just after stating I love coffee, get up this morning and all I wanted was tea! Actually was craving green tea yesterday. So now I think with a few loose teas on hand, I'll just have those for a while. I did stop drinking coffee for a bit and it started tasting kind of bad, I may have to just make the break. Thanks for sharing.

That's the way it goes! I love green tea now, because it's what I drank during my coffee-less days. And even still, sometimes, I'm the same way...I just don't feel like having the coffee -so I don't. If it tastes bad to you, maybe your body is trying to help you give it up ;) I know that coffee can be detrimental to some people, and is definitely not recommended.

In my case I have issues w/my heart pumping my blood, and causing poor circulation, asthma, and other things...that's why, in my case, it was actually recommended that I drink a cup now and then to help get things pumping. But someone who has a very strong heart/rapid pulse rate to begin with, could cause themselves harm from doing so (my pulse on the other hand is EXTREMELY weak, if I was sleep, and the average person attempted to take my pulse...they'd think I was dead :confused: ) . :( It actually took 2 different Dr's telling me this and suggesting coffee before I went back to it, because I just didn't think I needed it anymore.

Hi,
I think having 1-3 cups (8 oz.) of black coffee a day is okay. I personally drink one cup a day early in the morning. For the rest of the day, I drink 2-3 cups of green tea and plenty of water. I do not drink soda at all. When I find water boring, I put a little bit of water enhancer or lemon to give it taste.
There will always be debate on whether or not coffee is good or bad for you. I believe like many things; moderation is key. When you get tremors, sleeping problems or feeling streessed by drinking too much coffee you know you're in trouble. :)

Justina

Abiblay11 said:
So what would be it's effect on your body after taking it before workout? Is it possible? I would like to hear your thoughts about it. Thanks much!

I usually drink 2cups of coffee after my workout coz it makes me pee If I drink them before :)
It gives me headache if I skip my coffee.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.