Coconut oil

janiejoey

Cathlete
Dose anyone use coconut oil for health benefits? If so what are they?

I'm hearing all kinds of wonderful things about this product. Wondering if they are true. Any comments?

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

0607_10008295321.gif

Janie, I think I recall this being discussed a lot a couple of years ago. Try doing a search. Of course, all that info could be hopelessly outdated....

Thank you Robin,

I did a search and people were talking about some benefits, some said it wasn't likely to help, and others were going to try it out.

If anyone has tried it in their diet, please let us know the results you had. Would love to hear from you.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

0607_10008295321.gif

I've done a little research on coconut oil and eventually will transition it into my diet because of the nutritional benefits. I found a great website for it:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/

This will be where I get my coconut oil when I'm ready to buy in the future. I liked that they put it on their website that coconut oil isn't like olive oil in that there is no such thing as "extra virgin coconut oil".

You'll find a bunch of other items you can buy at this website, as well, including a cookbook.

I've read a bit about coconut oil, and it's convinced me to not be afraid of it, but I wouldn't go overboard and start chugging it down. I've seen several jars from different manufacturers that caution against using more than 4 Tbsp a day.

I think a first good step for using coconut oil is to use it on the skin. For one thing, the medium-chain fatty acids are very similar to the natural oils in our skins, and the oil has some antibacterial, antiviral properties that make it a good skin protectant.

For another, it smells wonderful and softens well.

Last year, I had an aweful case of poison ivy that reached my face, and left it looking like either I had been in a fire, or had become a fish, as the skin was scaling off. I started putting coconut butter/oil (they are the same :'butter' when it's solid, 'oil' when it melts at above 80 degrees or so) on, and it helped it heal and soften.

A large percentage of what we put on our skins is absorbed into our system (the reason why stop-smoking and birth-control 'patches' work), so using coconut oil as a facial and body moisturizer can give some of the same benefits as ingesting it, without the calories!

I've tried several different types of coconut oil, but only recommend the raw/unheated types, which are less processed. (The term "extra virgin" seems to be applied to the coconut oils that use low-heat methods of extraction that keep the oil 'raw').

My favorite is Raw Coconut Dream from http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/ . Smells fabulous! Like real coconut (which makes sense, but overly processed coconut oil has a very neutral scent or no scent...like it's half dead). I have been known to eat it by the spoonful, and I just made some dehydrated coconut macaroons using it.

Hi Kathryn! As I work my way through the forums I see your name over and over - you are a wealth of excellent info! Thanks!

I have to admit that the first time I saw people were eating coconut oil I did a little panic-hands thing. Then I did a little research and better understood the facts. What we are used to is the hydrogenated / processed stuff which is so bad for us.

Tomorrow I'm treating myself with a trip to the health food store (I better decide on a budget cap for this!!) and I'll be looking for coconut oil, hemp protein powder, and some other things.

I checked out the Living Tree Community website. I love how each product is pictured with a healthy-looking smiley person. That just tickles me somehow.

Just wanted to say thanks again.

Suzanne

Hi, Suzanne!

You're very welcome for the info.

If you can't find hemp protein powder in your local health-food store (or can't find a good-tasting kind), you might want to check out www.nutiva.com . I've tried several different hemp products, and this one tastes the best, IMO. The price on the web site is less than what many stores sell it for, and if you order more than $30 (or $35?) worth of stuff, shipping is free.

I always order my hemp shake mixes directly from them, and have been happy with their customer service. They are very receptive to customer suggestions: I suggested they offer one of each shake mix (large size) for a batch price, and the next time I ordered, they had added that option to their products.

I use coconut oil on my skin. When we sit out in the evening it keeps away the mosquitos! I have heard of people using it for health benefits, but I haven't. Kathyrn has given alot of good info on this thread.:)

Ann Marie

It's funny that I'm seeing this because I started using coconut oil about 3 weeks ago. The biggest benefit that I get from using it is that I'm not hungry. I can't believe how my cravings have disappeared. After taking this with breakfast (about 6 a.m.), I notice that my stomach isn't growling by 10 a.m. like normal......which is a definite plus for me.

The brand I bought is Nutiva from Vitacost (online) and they delivered it very quickly. It has a wonderful flavor and is very coconutty. I try to take 3 Tbsp. a day based on a few books that I bought to research the uses of coconut oil. It's very good in my coffee in the morning or melted in the microwave and poured over strawberry yogurt or cottage cheese w/ fruit. It hardens like that Magic Shell topping for ice cream and is just wonderful.

Several sites offer many benefits, but when I was researching it, I wanted information from a source that wasn't actually selling the oil. I found this site: http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html You will have to go to page 2 to read the rest of the benefits. I just felt that comming from an organic site, rather than a retailer was a tad bit more reliable (at least I hope so, anyway).

In using the coconut oil, I'm adding about 360 calories daily. I have been staying steady as far as my weight (even though I'm trying to lose) but I also am on week 5 of a strength training rotation so I'm not sure that it's the coconut oil that is causing me to maintain.

I think it's worth a try, if you are curious.

"Happiness is knowing what you are doing next without me saying it!" - Cathe

> When we sit out in the evening
>it keeps away the mosquitos!
That's great to know. I'd heard of that. It certainly smells appealing to people (unlike some insect repellants that also repel humans!).

>The brand I bought is Nutiva from Vitacost (online) and they
>delivered it very quickly.

You might want to check and see if the price is better directly from Nutiva (www.nutiva.com ). As I mentioned above, they offer free shipping on orders over $30, and the price of their hemp products is less than it is in most other stores (online or brick-and-morter). Might be the same with their coconut oil.

;-)

I'm lacing up my boots for my hike and then I'll zip down to the store - this is a Wild Oats and they usually have a pretty good selection.

The Nutiva website shows all their reasonable size packages of coconut oil are sold out. :-( I'm not quite ready to commit to 5 gallons!

I'll let you know what I find. And I'll also check out that other website.

I love the idea of the coconut oil hardening on my (of course teeny-tiny serving) of ice cream. A little thrill of happiness!

S

I also checked out the Nutiva site and the Coconut Oil is $29.99 for 54oz. and I got my 54oz. from Vitacost for $20.99 w/ $4.99 s/h.......so, it still would be cheaper from Vitacost.

Thanks for another suggestion, Kathryn.......It doesn't hurt to shop around!

Stephanie,
Thank YOU for the Vitacost info. The Nutiva hemp protein is cheaper there as well (but they don't carry the shakes). I'll have to do some more poking around that site!

Pretty much struck out at Wild Oats. I found a Jarrow coconut oil and it was on sale so I picked it up but I think I'd like to try either the Nutiva or the Living Tree brands.

They only had one kind of hemp protein powder and it was more expensive than what I'd found online so I'll order that.

Cruising Amazon.com and found the following.

http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organi...87343?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1185732461&sr=8-1

Gosh that's long but it's the Nutiva Hemp - 2 16 oz jars for $18.19 and free shipping if you go over $25.

They've got Nutiva Coconut oil - 2 29 oz jars for $26.66.

Happy shopping! ;-)

>I found a Jarrow coconut oil and it was on sale so I picked it up
>but I think I'd like to try either the Nutiva or the Living Tree
>brands.

I have the Jarrow brand here for cooking things that you do NOT want the coconut taste in........like frying eggs or chicken. I haven't tried it yet, but that was recommended for not having the coconutty taste so I got that from Vitacost, too.........lol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.