Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Justinef

Cathlete
I've just finished RwH Chest, Shoulders and Tris - and then went outside to fetch my laundry in from the line - a damp bath towel never felt so heavy!!!

Chest was a good solid chest workout, loved the triceps moves, but it's my shoulders which are really feeling it. I was out of breath quite a lot. Cathe's timing and cueing are amazing in this workout.

I'm doing this one in a few hours, so thanks for the warning about shoulders. I'm just wondering if I should use a barbell for chest presses since I only have up to 25lb dumbbells.

Yes, I would use a BB - I only have 12kg dumbells (26.4lb), and found I could move up to a heavier dumbell. However, Cathe does lighten up at some point (maybe for flyes? I can't remember). My chest press isn't great (crappy shoulders), so if I can press what Cathe does, then I reckon you can! Flyes are better for me than a chest press, and I went very slightly heavier than Cathe. Also my triceps are OK, and again I went slightly heavier. (I can't ever exactly match Cathe's weight, since I'm in kg, so I have to choose between a little heavier and a little lighter.)

For shoulders I roughly matched Cathe, but it was the burners which, well, burned.

Isn't it weird that two dvds work shoulders?
I previewed this one and it's shoulder press into upright row, lateral raised into front raises. The back, shoulder, and bi's dvd has rear delt exercises. I like the split shoulder since I find that after all the other exercises, I have a hard time then going into rear delts. I plan on doing the other dvd on Thurs., if all goes well.

Well, just finished and OMG!!! I wish my husband was home so he could have washed my hair. My arms were shaking in the shower trying to wash my hair. Even now typing, my tricep is quivering and my shoulders feel like there is a boulder on them. I don't think I could shrug my shoulder now even if I wanted to. I think I will be feeling this tomorrow.

Isn't it weird that two dvds work shoulders?

Nope...
Any weight lifting program containing shoulders moves only offering front and mid shoulder can be categorised as "shoulder"
Cathe just wanted to , IMHO, offer something different.

A focus on rear delt AND front delt.
This way we know precisely what muscle we are hitting:oops::eek:;)
In fact we are hitting all heads ending up getting more for what we bargained ;)

Last edited:
Did this one last night -- I'm loving it! So great that these workouts really get to the work right away, toast you up quick, and then you're done!
A focus on rear delt AND front delt.
This way we know precisely what muscle we are hitting:oops::eek:;)
In fact we are hitting all heads ending up getting more for what we bargained ;)
It really does make sense, as there's so much assistance between front delts/chest and rear delts/back.
My shoulders were feeling last night's work for sure. Love the overhead presses into upright rows. Love the shoulder finishers. I'm usually not so excited by shoulder work, but I love the way the front delt work flows. Waiting to see how I feel about rear delts, as the relative weakness of my rear delts is kind of appalling (epaule-ing?), so I often dread working them.

I know I was thoroughly worked, but I don't have crazy DOMS this morning (and I hit failure on many sets and used challenging weights). More than anything, I feel a bit of tightness in the column of spinal nerves when I round forwards. I'll need additional stretching in this program, I can tell already (but glad Cathe's stretch segments are brief). Maybe that's yoga, or Body Fit 360, or... does this mean I'll have to spring for PiYo? ;)
Roz

Waiting to see how I feel about rear delts, as the relative weakness of my rear delts is kind of appalling (epaule-ing?), so I often dread working them.

I know I was thoroughly worked, but I don't have crazy DOMS this morning (and I hit failure on many sets and used challenging weights). More than anything, I feel a bit of tightness in the column of spinal nerves when I round forwards. I'll need additional stretching in this program, I can tell already (but glad Cathe's stretch segments are brief). Maybe that's yoga, or Body Fit 360, or... does this mean I'll have to spring for PiYo? ;)
Roz

Epaule-ing LOVEIT! I'm the same - no DOMS (or no major DOMS). A certain tightness, though. Re stretching - not so sure PiYo is so good for upper body stretch - it makes my shoulders even more sore. It's a great lower body workout though.

Epaule-ing LOVEIT! I'm the same - no DOMS (or no major DOMS). A certain tightness, though. Re stretching - not so sure PiYo is so good for upper body stretch - it makes my shoulders even more sore. It's a great lower body workout though.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm loving the Athletic Stretch segment of Michelle Dozois's Body Fit 360 Athletic Conditioning. There's a lot of great dynamic UB stretching, too, so maybe I'll just try to use that more...
Though I did try to do it after LIHI Legs, and the (shallow, easy) lunge holds were just not an option. My legs were done!

I also have no major DOMS this am. I do feel tight as well and have already stretched and feel a bit better. I'm hoping to get the legs done today and see how I feel after that one. The only finisher I had a problem with was the decline pushups, so I modified. I think I will up my weight for the chest presses next time since I think I went a little to light on those 2 moves. But my shoulders feel great and strong today, same with my tri's.

I also have no major DOMS this am. I do feel tight as well and have already stretched and feel a bit better. I'm hoping to get the legs done today and see how I feel after that one. The only finisher I had a problem with was the decline pushups, so I modified. I think I will up my weight for the chest presses next time since I think I went a little to light on those 2 moves. But my shoulders feel great and strong today, same with my tri's.
Ditto to everything you said. My decline pushups were token at best! More like decline wobbles.

Did chest, shoulders, Tris this morning. I give Cathe and crew credit for doing 30 lbs on the presses. I pulled out my 21s and thought I was doing good. Was heavy enough for me at this time. My one shoulder is a little wonky so had to be careful not to go to low on the presses and flies. May use the bar next time for presses. Shoulders, loved the exercises. I started at 35 for the first set and then quickly went down to 25 for the 2nd and 3rd set. I felt so wiped out by the end of all the exercises but I don't feel much now. It has been several hours. Wonder if it will hit me later or tomorrow.

Well, just finished and OMG!!! I wish my husband was home so he could have washed my hair. My arms were shaking in the shower trying to wash my hair. Even now typing, my tricep is quivering and my shoulders feel like there is a boulder on them. I don't think I could shrug my shoulder now even if I wanted to. I think I will be feeling this tomorrow.

You're scaring me! Mine haven't arrived yet, so I'm experiencing them vicariously at this point. Keep the comments coming!

I felt it a bit more in my tris and chest as the day went on yesterday. Still a little DOMs today but feel good.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.