Cathlete's Gettin' to Goal Week of August 30th

Good morning ladies! The kids are out the door and on their way to school. Whew! It's always a mad house here in the mornings.

I've been checking out everyone's ticker. Great job on the weight loss girls! I'm afraid I won't have a loss this week. Too many bad eating choices. :( I'm seriously considering using the WW method to track points (calories). Exercise alone won't cut it. I had a good workout yesterday: 4DS Kickbox plus CTX Kickbox cardio. It came in right at an hour. The plan was to do Amy's Kickbox Surge but I didn't want to have to think that hard yesterday ;). Body Max 2 is on tap for today (if I don't chicken out before then) I might do a premix if I don't feel up to the whole 90 minutes.

Lacy: I'm sure you can resist.:) If not a couple bites won't hurt ;). Have your kids gone back to school yet? Or are they old enough for school? I can't remember:eek: Have a great workout today.

Heather: I've never done Zumba. (I have the Zumba pants though:p) Sounds like lots of fun. I like the way you're doing STS. I may do it that way when I take it up again this fall. Looks like we'll be getting the STS tower soon (YAY!!) Did you preorder?

Lisa: Great job on the weight loss! See it wasn't as bad as you thought. I hope you have a great (nonstressful) visit with your mom. Does she live far away? How often do you get to see her? Sorry to hear about your troubles at work. The Gila Monsters aren't too bad. They're slow and sluggish and won't bother you if you leave them alone. It's the snakes I can't stand! I'm cautious everytime I walk out my front door. I've found rattlesnakes on my front porch on more than one occasion:eek:

Nancy: Hope you've recovered from your trip. Sounds like you had lots of fun. I like how you're DH's siblings are all 5 years apart. Is he the baby of the family? I laughed at the thought of you guys shooing the Gila Monster off of the road. Did it turn around and hiss at you?:)

Linda: I'm right there with you on the snakes!:eek: We have our share of those too. How was Hi-Lo Knockout? I haven't done that one in a while. I'll have to pull it out soon.

Rondalynn and Melissa: Hope your week hasn't been too stressful.

Talk to you soon.

Hi all. It is back to craziness here and we are doing well. I have been good with my workouts. I actually did Bi's and Tri's Monday with no sound bec I made my DH take apart and pack all the stuff except for the TV and DVD player and I didn't realize I had to fix something on the TV to get sound. Anyway I now have sound. I didn't like how quiet it was while I worked out without it. My eating is still awful. I had a fluffernutter sundae the past 2 nights from our local ice cream spot. I justify it this way. The place is closing in a week or so and I didn't have many this summer and won't have any again (maybe) until Memorial Day. I am off to dinner with 11 girls tonight so I am sure to not eat well. We have such great restaurants here. Oh well there is always tomorrow. I haven't gained this week and now am at 2.4 pounds away from my goal!

Have a good night everyone.

Wednesday

Lisa, I'm sorry to hear that your work troubles continue. I hope you're able to replace your receptionist quickly, and with someone who doesn't need a lot of training time.

Heather, way to go on resisting the stress eating and being able to go crazy in that Zumba Max class. I'll bet there is a ton of energy flowing through that room. That's the only thing I miss about working out at home -- not having that noise and energy. That's one of the things I was most looking forward to on the RT.

Lacy, best of luck on resisting that giant cookie. Try to think about the fact that those big ones don't taste nearly as good as the little ones. Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

Jacque, what did you decide about tracking Points? It's effective, that's for sure. My husband is the baby of the family by 10 years, so he by all accounts he got away with murder as a kid and was spoiled rotten. His oldest sister was pregnant with her first daughter at the same time his mother was pregnant with him. They're only a week apart. Interesting dynamics!

Melissa, I couldn't read much past the ice cream before my eyes glazed over. I love ice cream and miss it terribly when I'm watching what I eat.

I just finished Slow & Heavy: Chest & Back. Yowza. I expect to feel this one tomorrow. I haven't made it to Meso 3 yet, but this is the type of workout I have it in my head to expect for that meso. When I plugged it into the WM it gave me a calorie burn of 469 when I only burned 175 according to my HRM. Crazy! The WM is completely out of whack for me 99% of the time. I can't imagine how I would be expected to burn nearly 500 calories in an hour-long weight workout that does not include legs and incorporates a lot of rest time. Okay, rant over!

My Rhythmic Step just arrived! I know what I am doing tomorrow morning, wait no I don't! Should I do rhythmic step, Imax or Max Intensity Cardio?

I resisted the cookie and the UPS guy just brought my Bodyblast series....what should I do first??

Cathletes Gettin' to Goal Check-in

We made it halfway through the week! I am looking forward to my Zumba class. LOL! This was a cardio and core day. I enjoyed the Kick, Punch, & Crunch cardio conditioning premix this morning and the STS Ab Circuits medicine ball abs tonight. This is my favorite segment of Ab Circuits.

Lacy, step away from the cookie. LOL! The Body Blast series is fun, fun, fun! Supersets is my favorite weight workout! Oh, I love Step, Jump, & Pump too. The whole series is fun with great music!

Jacque, the Zumba pants are super cute! I have been told that the tassels on the butt are functional. If you move your hips the right way, they are supposed to spin! Zumba is a dance party. I love watching the newbies. It is so much fun to see their eyes light up when it dawns on them that this does not feel like exercise! It is kind of like line dancing. We had fun with a country line dance to a cowboy song on my birthday in my honor. LOL! Oh, I did not preorder the pull-up tower. My workout room doubles as my living room, and it is at capacity with fitness toys: a rebounder, a stability ball, a high step, a step, risers, slanted risers, a mat, a step mat, a weighted vest, a barbell, plates, weights from 2 pounds to 30 pounds, PlateMates, lifting gloves, weighted gloves, adjustable weighted gloves, adjustable ankle weights, bands, loops, figure-8 tubing, tubing with handles, Perfect Push-up handles, a 2-pound fitness ball, a 4-pound fitness ball, and an 8-pound medicine ball. That is what stays out all the time! We will not talk about what is stored in my fitness closet! LOL! I bought heavier weights and more plates for the 4-Day Split and STS. I still use the cushioned FIRM barbell too. It is too short for Cathe’s tower. I would basically be using it for pull-ups. I have access to an assisted pull-up machine at the club. I enjoy using the tubing with the door attachment at home and decided to save the money and skip this preorder.

Melissa, I hope you had fun with your friends tonight. Your fluffernutter sundae sounds yummy! Do you ever eat a fluffernutter sandwich? I vote for Rhythmic Step. It is my favorite step workout of all time!

Nancy, have you ever tasted Haagen-Dazs Five ice cream? It is smooth and creamy with five simple ingredients (skim milk, cream, sugar, egg yolks, and mint extract). It amazingly has less fat than regular ice cream, and a small scoop is very satisfying. (Just be sure to scoop out a single serving instead of eating from the container!) This is a keeper and one of my favorite treats! I agree with you about live classes. Nothing compares to the energy and fun factor of a live class with the rocking music and smiling faces! I prefer doing weight workouts at home on my own though or with a personal trainer. I do not enjoy toning or sculpting classes. I skipped the weight work during the Road Trip to save my energy for the fun cardio classes!

STS Disc 5 is in the DVD for tomorrow morning. Meals and snacks are packed. Sweet dreams! :)

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

I'm posting now because I want to make sure I do. :) It's been a crazy week and not a good one. I didn't weigh this morning. I knew it would be bad news. I've been on an eating binge that doesn't want to stop. :eek: I forgot who said I was strong for avoiding the chocolate but they were wrong. I did not avoid the chocolate. In fact, I don't care if I see chocolate for a while. :confused: I didn't sleep well last night because of all I had eaten.

We had our Chocolate Bar last night and that went well. We had lots left over that we took to the women's shelter. If it had only been last night, I would have been okay. But I've been making chocolates for a few days prior to this as well. That and my emotional state of mind was not a good combination. :( Today is a birthday meal with a few friends at a Mexican restaurant. Tomorrow, I'll go out with family. Then I think it will be over for a bit. I hope to some day get to the point where things like this won't matter. It will be just another day.

I've also been stress eating. We got some bad news Tuesday. My oldest DS and his wife have been trying to have a child for a little over a year now. He went to the doctor Tuesday and he gave them very little hope. My heart is just breaking for them. :(

My w/os have ceased and I think I'm going to restart week 3 next week and just finish this week doing whatever I want. I was on the go nonstop yesterday and just couldn't get one in. I had already taken a rest day the day before because I had to work with DH so it's just all thrown me off course. I look to return to normal after this week.

I hope you have a great day, Heather. Congrats on not giving in to the comfort eating. Trust me, it never makes you feel any better. :confused:

Jacque, I saw the Gila Monster! :eek::eek::eek: Yeah, those things freak me out, too. I do think I'm going to buy KB Surge. :D

Linda, thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it to look at when I can breath again. Which should be today. :D I wish we had a TJs.:(

Lisa, congrats on the loss! I hope you're enjoying your time with your mom.:D

Rhondalyn: What is your secret to losing weight with all of this baking??? Please let us in on it!
Ummmm, I have no secret. I didn't weigh but know I have gained. I hope to recoup and be back to where I was by next week. LOL

Melissa, maintaining is good. :) Glad you're surviving the craziness.

Nancy, I don't usually put much faith in any of those calorie prediction things for the reasons you stated. Sounds liked you had a great w/o.

I do plan on getting a w/o in today. I'll let you know what later. :p

Hi Everyone!
There looks like there has been a lot of activity on this thread since I last posted.

Being here has helped me, and I am glad I joined. When Rhondalynn had first initiated this Checkin, I was hesitant, because the first week of it I knew I was going to be out of town a week, and I wasn’t going to re-start STS until October. But, I did start with the Checkin, despite those reasons, and the first couple of weeks, I knew were just going to be getting on track weeks and getting the right mindset, and getting geared up by reading others’ posts. So, it has been a motivator, to see other people’s successes and struggles and to get a view into your lives, since I didn’t get to know people really, really well at the RT! Getting to know people better now, though! JJJ And, I am glad for that!

Yesterday my husband thought the family could go out to breakfast to Elmer’s Pancake House. I love to go to breakfast! I didn’t do too badly either. I ordered an egg-white omelet with garden veggies(zuchinnis, onions, mushrooms and other veggies??? + swiss cheese). Substituted salsa for the hollandaise sauce. Then I just ate half of it. Watermelon and grapes and a buttermilk (I hate half, gave the other half to DH) came with it. Then I hate 1 of my husband’s pancakes. Will eat the other ½ of the omelet today for lunch J. This checkin is helping me make better choices as far as how much to eat and fat content. I feel I have to be accountable to the people hear to help meet my goal, so this is a good thing. I’ve been able to stay between 19 and 21 WW points each day(takes into account my exercising) for the last 8 days, and that has shown up on the scale. Hope I can continue this! This weekend for 3 days we will be with my sister & husband at their beach house, so wish me luck there! I’m bringing some food for breakfasts and lunches and snacks,but we will go out a couple of times, I think…(seafood of course!).

Rhondalynn: Before I forget: Have a Happy Birthday tomorrow! This week sounds like it has been busy and tough for you in many aspects. I’m sad to hear about your DS & wife’s issues; (((I’m sorry))). But, I’m glad he has you for a mom. You’ve been so busy socially, that I can see how it has been tough the past week, but, you plan to re-start next week is a good one because it allows you time to refocus, and rethink, but, gives you some days to regroup about where you want to be—good luck with all that and your brand new start next week. Also, that was good that you were able to bring the extra chocolate to the women’s shelter(they will appreciate it), and you didn’t bring the leftovers home this time—a good choice.

Heather: I will have to ry the Haagan Dazs ice cream you recommended(that’s after I get rid of other 2 ½ gallon of double churned something or another that have been sitting there for 1/5 months! My kids will eat it! Zumba sounds very fun! Can you recommend any DVD’s? Sounds like it is a exhilarating form of cardio!

Lacy and Melissa: did you do Rhythmic Step? I did that Sunday after not doing that for a long time—and it was great fun!

Nancy: Do you just use your HRM for your calorie tracking rather than the WM? Seems like that would be more accurate and individual. That’s really weird they are so different in calories readings… Are other peoples’ experiences similar? I don’t have a HRM(maybe I’d try my DH’s sometime), to see if I think it is accurate for me. I just use the WW way of determining how many points I use up by the intensity of my exercise. Not very scientific, though, but, is subject to how I feel, too energy-wise that day…

Melissa: Big congrats on being only 2.4lb from Goal! The Sundae didn’t seem to hurt you. Never had that kind of Sundae(fluffernutter) before!

Jacque: I find also, that exercise alone doesn’t make the weight come off! You’d think it would if you added it in to your life, if it wasn’t there before. Anyway, the WW points system does work for me. I re-started that again a couple of weeks ago, and I only get 18 points(23 if I add in the 5 optional points). So the first week I was always starving. It’s getting a little better, though, but, I feel I have to be so disciplined. It is so easy to make concessions and eat some big treat, though. So, you’ve also done WW in the past? Did that work well for you, too? For me,
I used it and it took me about 15 months to lose 30 pounds(I got lazy with the points in the end). But, 10 lbs came back in a year’s time, so that’s why I’m on it again.
Did you end up deciding to count the WW points? Regarding Amy Bento—Yah, you do have to think if you haven’t done the specific workout for awhile, so it’s a mental AND physical workout. I love the KB Surge, so once you know it, you don’t have to think and it is fun. You asked how Hi/Lo Knock out went? It was good, and seemed new because I hadn’t done it for a long while. I stumbled in parts, but, not too badly.
I am going to do it again in a few minutes, so I can do it smoothly this time! That’s so much fun, too!

Lisa: did you find the Belgian dark choc 73% cocoa covered almonds? I hope you are having tons of fun with your mom. Does she live in Washington? Seems like you said you lived there awhile. Re: Amy Bento – I think you’d like some of KB and other Hi/Lo’s. Need any recommendations? Just ask(I haven’t done them all, but like most of what I’ve done)

I hope everyone has a nice Labor Day weekend and good luck to you on making good choices, too.

Last edited:
Thursday

Heather, nice going on all the workouts. It's odd, but I haven't even cracked open STS Ab Circuits yet. Naturally, the thing I need the most is the thing I avoid. I really need to check those workouts out. Isn't it amazing how much workout equipment we can manage to accumulate. And I buy yet still more! I needed to place an Amazon order last night that didn't quite qualify for free shipping, so I threw in a pair of Cathe's thumb weights for good measure! Thanks for the tip about the Haagen-Dazs Five. My daughter gets the ginger one and loves it, but I didn't realize they had a mint. I love mint ice cream, so I'm going to be sure to give it a try.

Rhondalyn, first of all I'm so sorry about your son and his wife getting such news. I know it's early yet but are they considering adoption? You've had quite the week, with both ups and downs. The workouts will always be there waiting for you when you're ready. Birthdays are to be enjoyed, and I always like those time-released ones that go on for a week or so -- such fun!

Lisa, darn it -- there was something I was going to ask you but now I can't remember what it was. I need to go through your past posts to see whether that will jog my memory.

Linda, what a wonderful post about how much this check-in is helping you. I think we could turn into a strong group with some time. Yes, I do use a HRM when I work out and used to use those numbers for my APs for WW. I'm not currently "doing" WW, but tracking my calories with my GoWear Fit and following Crack The Fat Loss Code. Anyway, that's how I know approximately how many calories I burn with each workout. I'm not one who writes the values down and compares them from workout to workout, but I do like to know what I burn each time. It's a mind thing.

<hanging head in shame> No workout for me today. It's a long, boring story about why, but it basically comes down to not managing my time. It was a good day and productive, but I have come to the conclusion that on nights when I get involved in a book and go to bed later than usual I need to set my alarm for the next morning. I've gotten to the point now where I think I have accepted that I don't have to go to work in the mornings and it's not just a long weekend. I don't have to "sleep in" every day like I used to do on the weekends as a treat.

49325c54927265021926c093ab475fffe940005_t.gif
I'm sick. I woke up yesterday with a sore throat and today I can't breath through my nose. That's probably all the details I need to share. :p I'll probably rest again today. :( It's a great gift from DH, huh?:confused:

Nancy, I don't think DS and DIL are at a point where they can consider adoption yet. It's going to take them a while to work through this. You know, just figuring out that you will need to set an alarm clock on those nights is a step in the right direction. It's all about finding what works for us. You should go to be earlier. ;)

Linda, I'm so glad that you decided to join us. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I think being able to put a smile on the ladies at the shelter was the highlight of the night. :D

Big waves to all!!!!

Rondalynn: Sorry to hear you're sick on your birthday.
:D:D:DHAPPY BIRTHDAY:D:D:D (Sorry, I don't have all those cute smileys like you do;)) I don't let things get you down too much. When all this craziness settles down I'm sure you'll do great. I'm sorry to hear about your son and DIL:( I'll lift them up in my prayers. God is in the miracle working business:D My pastor's son and DIL were told they could never have children. With the power of prayer they're now the parents of two beautiful children. Never give up!! They were married for about ten years before they finally conceived but they did! Take it easy and I hope you feel better soon.

Nancy: I'm terrible about managing my time and I'm always running late for everything:eek:. You really should break open Ab Circuits. There's some really great (and tough ab work on there) I hear you though. It's not my favorite body to part to work (and it's the one that needs the most help:p
Have you started CLX yet?

Linda: I'm so glad you decided to join the check-in. I love reading your posts:D I decided I'm going to start tracking points today. You only get 18 points:eek: I think I would starve! I think I get 26. I'll have to double check when I log my breakfast. I did well with WW in the past. I was only a few pounds away from goal when I started getting lazy and stopped tracking. I've half-heartedly started again a few times but never got anywhere. I still have all my materials so I think I may just do it on my own. I have been contemplating signing up for meetings though. We'll see.
I have almost all of Amy Bento's workouts and I like all of them. I don't know why I don't do them more often. Some are still in the plastic, the others I've only done a couple times each. I can't seem to master her step though and that really frustrates me.:mad: I even have her Kettlebell workout (the advanced one not the beginner). I've had my Kettlebells for a year now and I've never used them:eek:

Heather: Wow! You have quite the collection there. I didn't need to buy the STS Tower. It's a compulsion I have though to buy things I hardly ever use. (See above comment regarding Kettlebells:cool:) Zumba sounds like fun but I was never one to shake my hips.;) I'm not a dancer. I would love to be but it's not in me.

Lacy and Melissa: So what workouts did you choose to do first? Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to just be discovering Cathe and having her workouts being new to me.

Well I'm $800 poorer today:eek: I ordered my son's senior pictures yesterday. Someone once told me that senior year is expensive. I'm starting to think they were right! Tonight's the big football game of the year. Safford VS Thatcher (Thatcher is the rival school in the town right next to us) I need to get to the stadium at least an hour early to get a seat.:confused: I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and bought a couple of stadium chairs. The bleachers are so uncomfortable.

Today's workout is Lower Body. Not sure yet which one I'll do though. I only did about 30 minutes of cardio yesterday. I was feeling very sluggish and had a headache.

Hope you all have a great day~!

Friday

Rhonda, that just stinks that you're sick! Get your rest and feel better soon.

Jacque, good luck to the Safford team tonight. I've heard many times about that intense rivalry between Safford and Thatcher (I went to a high school reunion with my husband one year and it happened to coincide with the big football game so we went to part of it). I told him tonight was the big night and he got a kick out of that. Senior year is indeed expensive -- I'll bet those pictures turned out great, though. I did receive CLX while I was out of town and have spot previewed the workouts. I hate previewing workouts and never do it, but since I was buying these used I wanted to check them out. I'll be starting them on whatever date that last Monday in September is (29th?), and go through the end of the year. I also didn't buy the STS Tower. I have had the Valor BD Squat Stands for awhile now and am happy with them. They really saved my bacon in Meso 2 with the chest presses.

After all of the Amy Bento talk I decided to sub today's Kick Max workout with Advanced Step Challenge, which I haven't done in ages. I knew I would have to do this one with my remote in hand! I did much better than I expected with the step patterns, which are always challenging even when I was doing this one regularly in a short space of time. I ran out of oomph for the 4th challenge, but by that time with rewinds and do-overs I had already exceeded the workout time of the whole workout itself so I still got a good one. It was fun. I really need to do these more often.

Rhondalyn, Happy Birthday and hope you feel better soon.
I don't have a lot of time to post, have an appt to get my eyebrows waxed with chcoloate wax in a few minutes!
No wt loss this week, but no gain either...I hope that will lead into a 2 pound loss next week....who knows...I am always glad when I don't gain.
Hope everyone has a nice Labor Day weekend!

Saturday

Lacy, I have to know more about the chocolate wax! I think that might make me hungry to have that done :rolleyes:. I hope your 2-lb loss next week is right on schedule.

I did my WI today (changed it from Mondays) and am exactly where I was two weeks ago. Considering I gained over 4 lbs on our little trip last week this is a good thing. Today's workout was S&H Triceps & Biceps.

Cathletes Gettin' to Goal Check-in

This is a quick check-in to wrap up this week. I enjoyed STS Disc 6 this morning and love the bonus band work. I went to the club this afternoon and enjoyed swimming in the nice saltwater pool. These were my workouts this week:

08-30-09 rest

08-31-09 rest

09-01-09 a.m. STS 4 (chest, shoulders, and biceps)
09-01-09 p.m. Zumba class

09-02-09 a.m. Kick, Punch, & Crunch (cardio conditioning premix)
09-02-09 p.m. STS Ab Circuits (medicine ball abs)

09-03-09 a.m. STS 5 (back and triceps)
09-03-09 p.m. Zumba class

09-04-09 a.m. Low Impact Step (on the floor)

09-05-09 a.m. STS 6 (legs + bonus + extended stretch)
09-05-09 p.m. swimming

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.