Cathe...please respond to the NYT article RE: Strength ...

Heh...uh...actually, it may be because I eat like a horse, not that I am gaining muscle/losing fat? I don't know! I eat healthy, but not always that clean--if I pay too much attention to my eating, I tend to head on over into disordered eating and ridiculous weight loss.

"Surprisingly, many of the women became no stronger. "We were
>looking at whether women would stick to the routine, and if
>so, would they resistance train intensely enough," explained
>Kara Gallagher, the lead researcher. "It appears that many did
>not."
>
>When people lift light weights and fail to progressively
>increase the load, they only increase endurance, Dr. Kraemer
>said.>>
>
>
>Many of the women became no stronger?? What were they doing?
>Lifting 3 pound weights for a year?

If they were left to their own devices, and didn't have proper instruction on how to lift, I can imagine that they were lifting "too light" in the first place (nowhere near reaching fatique on the last 2 reps of each set), and didn't increase the weights (in order not to get "too big"). The article suggests they were lifting light and not increasing the load.

<<If they were left to their own devices, and didn't have proper instruction on how to lift, I can imagine that they were lifting "too light" in the first place (nowhere near reaching fatique on the last 2 reps of each set), and didn't increase the weights (in order not to get "too big"). The article suggests they were lifting light and not increasing the load. >>

Exactly. I'd love to see what the results would be if the study participants were part of a supervised weight training program that was done right--progressive increases in weight, enough reps, lots of variations. This study says nothing more than if you have poor training techniques, you're not really going to get good results. It'd be the same thing as counting shuffling through the mall at a snail's pace while drinking a supersized sugary soda and eating cookies for their cardiovascular exercise. Doesn't really say anything about the effect on weight loss and metabolism of weight training done correctly.

ARTICLE QUOTE
“Studies show that even women who do what it takes to get stronger develop only two to four pounds of muscle after six months of progressive lifting. Given that one pound of muscle burns between 7 to 13 calories a day (as determined by studies that measured oxygen and blood flow to tissues), that means the average boost in metabolism is only 14 to 52 calories a day, said Dympna Gallagher, the director of the body composition unit at the New York Obesity Research Center in Manhattan”

Looking at the whole picture and trying to go with a happy medium. Assume the average woman only burned about 30 or so extra calories a day due to increased muscle mass. In a months time that’s almost 1000 extra calories then a woman who doesn’t weight train. In my book that’s like one cheeseburger per month a cheat, or not if I want to make those calories count. Sounds like a significant increase in metabolism to me. Also I would like to point out that I wear a size 10 and weigh 165lbs whereas before, while I was in my twenties (10+ years ago) I had to be 145lbs to fit into a size 10.

Also the article does point out that most women see resistance training as light weights (3 to 5 lbs) and high reps and you can only build a very small amount of muscle with that weight, then your muscles become acclimated and you no longer need to build more to meet your work out needs. The article mentions that you need to increase your weight as needed to see any sort to increased metabolism results, no matter how small the increase is that the article states. Cathe is not in low weight training category, and although some of her workouts are high rep I wouldn’t consider the weights she uses as low

Personally, I’m very happy with the results I’ve seen while working out with Cathe. I’ve lost 45lbs while building muscle and I didn’t bother counting my calories. I just cleaned up my diet and did as many variations of Cathe’s cardio and weight training videos as I could get my hands on. I’m walking around the house flexing my biceps at my family till they’re rolling there eyes at me, and you should see me trying to contort my body around to look in the mirror (while flexing) so I can check out the muscles in my back. I’m sure my hubby is checking out the local insane asylums for an opening for me. Cathe’s workouts provide results so long as you are consistent with them and follow her instructions on correct form. As the article suggests, weight training does work so long as it’s done properly and with the right weights.

Laura

I love all the great posts from everyone on this article.

I would also love to here what Cathe has to say. I too have gone down in sizes by increasing my weights.

Cathe would love to hear your feed back.

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday

Deb:) :) :)

"Heh...uh...actually, it may be because I eat like a horse, not that I am gaining muscle/losing fat?"

By what about losing 2 dress sizes???

There is that..yes..the only thing I can attribute it to is doing Cathe's weight workouts. I just feel like my body is tighter all around from it. None of my other eating or workout habits changed, so it has to be that.

I'd just like to chime in to (bump this post;) ) and to say that I too weigh more but wear a smaller dress size than I did at this weight in my 20s. Granted clothing size is also highly subjective, but I "feel" smaller than I did at this weight in the past.

Also, I have lost a lot of fat and if I hadn't included strength training as an important part of my program - I would NOT be wearing a sleeveless shirt right now. I still have about 30lbs of fat to lose - it would look a lot worse if I didn't have some muscle tone underneath.

And I think the article neglects the importance of strength! I feel wonderfully strong thanks to lifting heavy and keeping up with Cathe (almost) in endurance. AND - even if the metabolic boost from building muscle is exaggerated - you're still burning more calories while you're lifting than you would be if you were sitting on the couch eating celery! And what about the benefits for women at risk of osteoporosis?

I don't think people should be misled into thinking that strength training is a miracle tool, but articles like this should also include the NUMEROUS benefits. To me, strength training is worth the effort (and the burn) for its effect on my self-esteem alone. Working out with Cathe has taught me that I am far stronger than I ever thought I was! And the ongoing achievements in strength and endurance gains are very rewarding.

That said, I just got Power Hour, MIS, and BM in the mail - watch out 'cause here I come! }( :7

Joni

Joni,

You go girl! Remember...babysteps! You will reach your goal before you know it and by your results, you are well on your way, CONGRATULATIONS!! I know you don't need to hear this but, keep up the weight/strength training with Cathe's tapes.

Karen:)

I just have to chime in...I think the article is interesting, but I am concerned it may be based on flawed research. Then I worry it will discourage less "educated" folks away from exercising.

I'm lucky to be a reasonably good responder (at least I think I am:)). I've been working out consistently for the last 2 and a half years.I have to lift heavier dumbells to get the same burn. I have to work harder to be in my "target heart rate zone"! :eek: I'm wondering how can anyone workout consistently for any length of time and not be constantly upping their weights or having to work harder at cardio? Or am I missing something.

What I'm leaning towards is upping my cardio and easing up on the weight work (but hoping to maintain what I've gained so far...)to lose this last excess fat. And, yes, get off the dieting merry-go-round, just eat clean:)

Thanks to all who posted their thoughts. I certainly appreciate what I've learned here!

Not Cathe.

However, I can tell you that there are a million benefits to lifting weights including weight loss. Just look at "body for lifers" and the incredible changes in their bodies. They are only doing cardio three times a week for 20 minutes. Obviously they aren't losing hundreds of pounds from that minimal amount of cardio; strength training is playing a mammoth role. I do agree that most woman do not lift weights correctly; you have to write down everything you do each day and when you can lift a weight between 6-10 times you have to up your weight. I love Cathe but her weight workouts could never increase my muscle mass or change my body shape. Especially not my legs, I have to go to the gym for that I do leg presses of over 400 pounds and squat and lunge around 200 constantly upping my weights and changing my routine in order to see results.

Candy:)

I haven't read the whole article, yet, but I got to the point where it said that women who lift weights also diet (the articled used the term "diet" as a means to say "they eat less"). BRAVO!!! to the article for saying this. I've ALWAYS stressed to people that when they lift weights they need to eat MORE because their body will NEED more calories to create that muscle. Let's also stress that "more" does not mean more "fat" and more "empty calories", or an excessive amount of "more"...we're talking about eating more good, healthy, lean proteins, vegetables, and fruits.

Okay, now I will go back and continue reading the article.

This article is pretty much dead-on, IMO. Don't rely on just weight lifting to lose weight. Do cardio to lose weight; use weight training to tone up what you've got. Don't eat less to gain muscle mass, eat more.

Basically, eat enough to fuel your body, and make sure to give yourself a healthy balance of cardio and weight training to reap the rewards of both (cardio = weight loss; weight training = toning up).

And, yes, it's true: If you don't use challenging weights (ones that make you work a little to lift 'em), or if you don't increase your weights as it gets too easy to lift the ones you've got, then you will NOT see any gains from weight lifting.

I don't understand what the problem with this article is. It's not telling you to stop lifting weights...it's telling you that there are some tremendous benefits to weight lifting if you "lift smart" and aren't using it as your sole means to lose weight.

I'm new to Cathe, but not to weights. My reply is personal, but directly related to the weights/cardio dilemma.

In high school, I was a skinny wimp who couldn't make it through P.E. class. (not that skinny = bad, but it's worthless when you can't even walk a mile) In college, I signed up for weight lifting for my P.E. credit, thinking it would be circuit machines. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be free weights! I wanted to run for the door, but the teacher won me over by explaining the benefits of weights for women. (This was in 1986, so this guy was ahead of his time.) The instructor graded not on how much you could lift, but how much you improved during the class. No 3 lb. dumbbells for us, when 15 reps got easy, we increased weight just like the guys. This wimpy girl turned into a buttkicker, and I even grew curves!

Fast forward 15 years...after having my daughter, I had flabby arms that wouldn't go away. No amount of cardio made any difference. Three more years of mid-thirties spread and nursing my mom through cancer made me gain another dress size. However, six months ago, I rediscovered fitness. My program includes 2-3 days of free weights and alternating cardio (usually step and kickboxing.) The results have been amazing!

My arms now look good in tank tops, my stomach has flattened out, and my thighs are shaping up. The scale only shows a five lb. loss, but I've lost a dress size and can see my college body breaking through. Not to mention that I'm finally able to deal with having lost my mom.

All of this happened through a combination of weights and cardio. My most important point is that I follow my college teacher's advice of adding weight when 12-15 reps stop being a challenge. The cardio is vital, but I would not see these changes without weights.

I hold you Cathe fans in high regard...having mastered Cathe's Basic Step, it's time to move up. Wish me luck!

One more thing, Cathe, you are more motivating than a string bikini. Thank you for helping me re-capture my buttkicking glory days!

>One more thing, Cathe, you are more motivating than a string
>bikini. Thank you for helping me re-capture my buttkicking
>glory days!

I second that, WTG Cathe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.