Cathe in real life...

icklemoley

Cathlete
I’m sure I’ve posted this before, but just wanted to mention is again as seeing pictures of Cathe and her new gym brought it back.

In Cathe’s DVD she is sooooo cut, super vascular with every muscle group visible and tonned. However in real life she is nothing like this, with almost no visible vasuclarity or muscle mass. And this makes me think that she clearly “cuts” up like a bodybuilder for her dvds. But I wonder how many people actually get put off weight training and her dvds (which are super) because of this extreme look?

If you check out the ASK CATHE forum and the thread: Cathe some pictures for you : ) you’ll see what I mean.

Any comments.

NO visible muscle mass, really I must be reading this the wrong way. Do you just mean the muscles aren't as big?

Cathe said in a previous thread (don't even know where to start looking - the thread had something to do with 'how gaunt' she looked) that the lighting has a lot to do with how much her muscles show. She still leans out but the lighting and environment play a big role, too.

I've actually mentioned this in the past. I think Cathe's cut look is great b/c it's very motivating & inspiring, but I also think it might be somewhat intimidating for beginners. Add the fact that her entire crew is also in incredible shape. It might be less intimidating if there were a few crew members who were more "average," for lack of a better word. Many other home workout professionals (Karen Voight, Kathy Smith, etc.) typically have exercisers of all levels in their videos doing modified versions of the workout.

I'm not criticizing either. It's just a thought--only b/c I've spoken w/so many women at the gym just starting out who feel scared, insecure or inadequate. It might be inspiring for them to be able to work out along w/someone who they can relate to.

I don't know...how can you tell how cut she is in a baggy shirt and pants? Her face still looks rather thin and her arms show some definition (as much as you might see in a short sleeve shirt) in the shots. I am not saying that you are wrong, but I don't see that she is "nothing like this" in real life - at least, by those pictures.

That being said, I am sure that she slime down and cuts up for her DVDs. I would! I am sure she wants to look her leanest and best on film (does the camera really add ten pounds? :eek: ) but I am sure that is hard to maintain for "regular living." While I see your point about intimidation for newcomers, I find it more motivating to look at a gal that resembles my future goal rather than my present condition!

Just my two cents!

I do remember her saying in a post that she cuts her body fat down for filming but I don't think she has a whole lot of cutting down to do.

Those pictures don't show anything IMHO. She's wearing pants and a t-shirt that covers her biceps so are you basing her muscule mass on her forearms?

Some people might be turned off by her cut look but Cathe's dvd's are really for advanced exercisers who don't necessarily want to look like Cathe, but appreciate the hard work and discipline it takes to have a body like that.

I agree with those of you who like to see the muscles in the DVD's. The whole crew is very inspirational. I find myself sneering at those in other DVD's who don't seem as fit as Cathe's group. I am really looking forward to the road trip and seeing Cathe in real life. I'm sure I will be very impressed.

I agree that the lighting has a lot to do with it. If you look at Cathe in the intro of the workouts, she looks much thinner but not as thin in the workouts.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hi Wayne! Cathe most certainly does look very vascular & cut. Because this was titled "Hardcore" she instructed her personal trainer to work her HARD & it definitely showed that in all of these DVDs. She trained as a bodybuilder would train. She also had to have tweaked her diet considerably too. She wanted to look HARDCORE in order to sell her DVDs. But if you look at Brenda & Cedie they don't train as a bodybuilder would & yet their both extremely fit. I saw a difference in the pictures of Lorraine. While filming, she lost more bodyfat (just my opinion) anyway. However, women bodybuilders once competition phase is over with, they up their calories & lessen the cardio to put a much more healthy weight & bodyfat percentage back on & this is exactly what Cathe did too.

These are my comments. Kathy:D

There's no difference to me really. In those pictures she is wearing baggy clothes. (A big t-shirt and sweatpants) In her DVDs she is wearing form fitting workout outfits. Of course her muscles are going to be more noticeable in those workout outfits.

As for being intimidated about her strength workouts...I really wasn't when I first started using them. I just wanted to be careful not to use the same amount of weight she used at first. But, I knew eventually I'd be able to build up to it.

I wonder how many
>people actually get put off weight training and her dvds
>(which are super) because of this extreme look?
>
>
I think you have a point here. A lot of women(not the "educated crowd," of course) think that using weights (no matter how light) will make them look like a female body builder or too "manly." They might want to "tone" or "firm up," but they don't want to "grow" or "develop muscle." When they see the musculature on Cathe and Jai, for example, that could easily give them an excuse for not using weights. "I don't want to look like that!" (Assuming, erroneously, that if they do the GS workouts, for example,, they will automatically look like Cathe.) Well, I don't want to look like that either, but I know that I wouldn't unless I put in a lot more effort with both my workouts and my diet.

FYI: I'm not saying that Cathe and Jai look like female bodybuilders or too "manly," but they could seem that way to those who don't work out with weights. One time a colleague of mine asked me if I worked out, and I said yes, and she said she could tell by my shoulders (winter, I was wearing a long-sleeved knit top, and my shoulders looked broad and firm--not big traps, but nice shoulders). Our secretary (our overweight, out-of-shape, doughy, potatoey, lumpy secretary with sloping shoulders) at the time said "but you're wearing shoulder pads, aren't you" I proudly said, "no, these are all mine." I distinctly saw a brief look of distaste/disgust cross her face. And I by no means look like Linda Evans in Dynasty with her "football pad" shoulder pads. I just have wide shoulders, more like Rebecca Romenyn (sp?). LOL!

Okay so now I'm curious as who has seen her in real life? I think Cathe looks great, after she has cut up or not. I mean the woman is a great athlete. Can anyone tell me what she does look like in person as compared to the videos? I mean I know she's short and cute.

I don't know if this remains true but Cathe once said she's about 5 pounds lighter than her normal weight when filming. And think about the amount of prepping she does. She must increase her mass with all the rehearsing and the filming. I'm not surprised she looks smaller in real life. I know I get pumped when I work out and I am not nearly as muscular. I believe she's pumped for those workouts and that makes muscles look bigger and veins pop. I think the camera moves in very closely on Cathe during her workouts and we rarely look so closely at the people we see in real life because there's the issue of personal space. If we got as close to Cathe as we get when we see her on DVD, we would be really crossing the line! :D I think she looks beautiful in Barbara's pics and , yes, maybe a little more "real". Still, there's muscles under those baggy clothes and they are fabulous.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

I wanted to say I saw Pinky's pictures, (and I hope I'm not putting her on the spot) but in her t-shirt standing with the family, there is no way I could tell she was muscular at all. After I saw her fitness pictures though, her body is amazing. I think clothing, lighting, tanning, and so much more have to do with how she looks in real life as compared to on video too. I don't think she changes too much, because changing that often and that much wouldn't even be healthy.
It's a continuing process.....

Okay this is my last comment on this because I would hate to be scrutinzed like this. I looked at the pictures again and she looks strong and there is a bicep popping out there. She looks really strong to me, so I still think she looks pretty impressive, very physically fit. Okay that's all.

Of course i'm not basing this on her forearms! What a strange question "curly" My point was, and i'm sure i did try and make one, was that in the "new" pictures Cathe does not look so vascular. Am i saying she does not look fit? No. Am i saying she does not look strong? No. Am a saying i could not see any muscle at all. No. What i'm saying is compared to the hardcore photos and these (lets assume ladies that you can at least see some of the arm! if you cannot, your eyes are closed) she is not as "muscular looking".
Jessssss, you ask a simple question.
And i for one love Cathe looking as lean as she wants, i think she looks great, but just the other day while watching a dvd at work, a co-worker who works out (female) pulled a face in disgust saying how manily they look and how no matter what, she would not want to look like that.
Do i think that? No. But it is still valid. Alot of woman are put off weight trainnig because of this very look. But i'm also aware that Cathe is not aiming these workouts at the general public.
To the ladies who "jumped" at this thread, sigh. To those that understood what i meant, thank you.

>To the ladies who "jumped" at this thread, sigh. To those that
>understood what i meant, thank you.
>

I don't think anyone jumped...unless disagreeing is considered jumping.

>>And i for one love Cathe looking as lean as she wants, i think
>she looks great, but just the other day while watching a dvd
>at work, a co-worker who works out (female) pulled a face in
>disgust saying how manily they look and how no matter what,
>she would not want to look like that.
>

I personally would love to look as cut as Cathe - but with a height of 5 ft 10 I can only dream of it. I work very hard for the muscles that do show and when I wear a slinky dress, my six-pack shows through the fabric!

I know females who don't like any muscles showing on women, I always say it's because they are too lazy to workout and it's only a lame excuse.

I, on the other hand, cannot stand fitness instructors with big, fake boobs and those workouts are not worth doing most of the time. I refuse to buy any workouts with 'fake' standards. I wish Bowflex would take the ad off the air with the 50 year old grandma. That ad would be so much more realistic with somebody who didn't have an enhancement.
>

>However in real life she is nothing like this, with almost no >visible vasuclarity or muscle mass.
>

I just thought that was a hasty assumption based on some photographs that show only a slight glimps of her biceps muscles - I really didn't mean any disrespect and I should've phrased my comment differently, sorry if I offended you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.