Cathe and the BodyRx

Kathy
Thank you so much,, this was what I wanted... I know that I am very anxious to start something new and from what I have been reading BodyRX is great...
I understand about the Nutrition and will understand it and do it correctly when I get the book.
I have been eating controlled carb for 5plus yrs and take good care to get good nutrition... I am 53 and 5'9" and 128# My wt is good so I don't have to worry about the lbs but I want to be healthy and strong as I get older (hate that word) lifting 12-15#'s 30# barbell
Is there any other DVD's that I should get.. I think you mentioned the Intensity series...I have also been debating on the CTX series and see you use that for the legs(leaner legs)
I can order them next wk and when I arrive Florida (my son's home) they will be there for me.. also the book from Amazon.
Thanks again and I will update you on your site...
Lorene

Girls I tried something new last night and BOY am I sore today!

Yesterday was leg day..so I threw in S&H, even tho I'm in Cycle 2, I decided to tweak it a bit. Sooooo I did all three sets w/Cathe, the S&H way, then I'd pause it and did 3 more sets of 10 reps, not slow, but still heavy.

I don't do all the static lunges, my knees can't take it so instead I got out my fitness ball and did more squats w/it.

I gotta tell you..

My legs, my thighs, my butt, all of them are completely SCREAMING today...I've had to take Ibuprophren for the soreness pain and I love it!

I think its good for me to throw my bod into a tailspin now and then.

Having a bowl of Fiber1 even as I type!

Keep Pumpin!!!

Hey Lorene, looking forward to having you on the board. You're going to love this program. :)

I just ordered Intensity Vol. 3, I'm only interested in the weight DVDS, I was so happy to find that Dr. Scott doesn't see a need for endless areobics...blech! I don't like most of them, however I do enjoy Taebo so I do that a couple times a week.

But since I began the program, I've been alternating the use of S&H, MIS and PS and will incorporate the new dvd as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Hi Mindi! I'll definitely do this next week as I'll be starting Cycle 2 on Sunday. I was wondering how to really blast the legs and you provided me with the answer. Thanks a lot! Oh that Fiber 1! I can't stand the taste of it so I've been putting it into my protein shake. Best, Kathy

Hi Lorene! I would do the Slow and Heavy series in Cycle 1 for 6 weeks. For Cycle 2 you can either stick w/S&H or you can pick different exercises either from Pure Strength series or MIS tape as suggested by Mindi. Good luck! Kathy

I'm also not much for step... also for my knees and the cordination... could never dance so gooo figure.ha.
For cardo, I play lots of single tennis and use a rebounder which I love.
I will also order the Int.Vol3.. I want the CTX upper body but on DVD not tape.. maybe in the future. Maybe I should try the Taebo
Thanks again for you help.
Lorene

Mindi..

I have a cool little routine where I do S&H legs (without shoulders) and tack on the last 15-20 minutes of The Firm Standing Legs. This gets some of those killer tall box climbs and hover squats in. OOOHHHBOY!! You will feel it the next day if you go heavy enough!!

Janice

Q for Mindi and others using Cathe for Body RX: what exercises do you substitute for the machine exercises he shows in the book? I am particularly wondering about the back exercises, and the legs?

Christine

Hi Christine! In Cycle 1 I stuck with the exercises that Cathe does in Slow and Heavy for back. For legs I alternated each week with PS Strong Legs/Leaner Legs/Slow & Heavy Legs. Or if you want you can just use the PS series for Cycle 1 or even CTX series; it all works very well. Its up to you but this is what I did and loved it. Best, Kathy

Kathy,
What on earth do you eat to comsume 110 grams of protein? is it all enjoyable, or are you slinging back egg whites and meat? I might like to try this program, but I always thought that too much protein was not a "good thing." Thanks for sharing this stuff.

I do somewhat the same exercises as Kathy described in her last post.

Annabelmcminn, not only do we eat plenty of protein but we eat the entire egg! Egg white is not a complete protein, in order to get all the necessary amino acids, one must eat the entire egg or its a waste.

There is such a thing as too much protein, but this program is not based on that line of thinking. Its based on getting ENOUGH protein, which many of us in this 'eat more carbs' day and age, have forgotten.

For more info, visit the website.

correction

An egg white is a perfect protein. It is the "reference protein", the standard with which all other proteins are compared to determine protein quality.

From a nutrition textbook.
Debra

Mindi
A few questions. I checked out the site quickly but trying to sign on takes a while. I have an old computer too, so that may be a problem.
1) How similar is this program to the Atkins diet?
2) How long are the workouts? And how come he discourages cardio?
3) If you only work out 1 hour a day (once I start work soon, I will only have that much, but 7 days a wk)
4) I am not good caculating grams and all that. Is it broken down in the book. (ie, I am in the 150's and how would I know how many grams I'm eatting if it's a recipe? I understand if it's a box of something that gives you the grams and such. As far as meat, you'd weigh it?
5) How do I feed my husband? He is currently not working out, he has no time for the next month (deadline time/work). He can eat the same foods, just not worry about how much like I would?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm leary about anything new.
Thanks, Faythe

OK, I am not Mindi, BUT..

BodyRX is nothing like Atkins. He does not discourage cardio, he just says it is not necessary, claiming that you get all the weight loss and heart health benefits from lifting as well. I worried about counting "grams" at first, but once you look at the program you will realize that there is almost no way you can go over the limit on anything if you are eating healthy foods. Hey Faythe..don't be afraid to try somethin' new, variety is the spice of life!!:) This diet is not a freaky diet. It really is very nutritionally sound. Protein could be argued by some to be too high, but it is not enough to kill you. Remember, you want to be in a positive nitrogen balance when lifting that heavy and for optimum muscle growth...

And Mindi???

Janice

thanks for the quick and helpful response naughtoj. But one more thing. Now I lift and do cardio daily for like 2 hours a day 5 days a wk and the other 2 cardio only. But I may be working by monday and then will only have 1 hour of workout time. I really don't enjoy cardio as much as weight lifting anyway, and when I lift heavy enough, I sometimes sweat like I do with cardio. But my question is is 1 hour of weight training with a little cardio enough...is all this protein too much fuel. I'm not lifting for hours like a body builder. Oh, and would walking 20 minutes from my train to my job (and back again) at a good pace concidered cardio, enough for this program anyway? I wouldn't be breaking a sweat, like a regular cardio workout.
Thanks for your help
Faythe
ps I just wanted to check a few things out before I make a commitment to something like this. :)

RE: correction

Sorry Debra, the entire egg is necessary for a complete protein, you may want to check your source on that, for I fear the book is incorrect. Without the yolk one cannot derive all the necessary amino acids to make a food a complete protein. Its like if you eat beans, you're getting SOME protein, but if you eat RICE and BEANS, then you have a complete protein. A short explanation follows:

"SOURCES OF PROTEIN

Protein is supplied by both animal and plant foods. Made up of amino acids, a regular intake of protein in the diet provides body cells with adequate supplies of amino acids. Protein plays an important role in the growth, repair and replacement of different body tissues, such as bones, muscles, connective tissues, and the walls of hollow organs.

Meat provides all the essential amino acids in approximately the same proportions as needed by the body, and also supplies many vitamins and minerals. The proteins supplied by foods of animal origin are called complete proteins because they contain many of the so-called essential amino acids, which the body cannot make for itself. Meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and dairy products all provide substantial quantities of complete protein.

Proteins from plant sources, such as peas, beans, nuts and grain in cereals and bread, are known as partially complete proteins, because they are lacking in one or more of the essential amino acids. Those who do not eat meat, fish or dairy products (vegans) can avoid becoming deficient in any one amino acid, simply by consuming a diet containing a wide variety of plant proteins."

I'll try to find more detailed info on eggs later..now I have to get to work. But my source on egss is Dr. Scott Connelly, a researcher and medical professional who's entire life has been spent working and researching the body and nutrition.

Hi Faythe, Janice is right, Aktins and the BodyRx are on different planets, with little in common.

Most people who come to the BRX program have trouble w/two concepts. 1. they're never hungry like on traditional diets. 2. they don't HAVE to do endless cardio to see results. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO CARDIO! LOL You don't even have to lift weights..the nutrition makes up 70% of the results!!

As for making a committment, only you can determine if the program is right for you, after all its a lifestyle, not a 'diet.' I suggest you take a look at the book, get it from the library perhaps, and read it carefully. See if anything Dr. C says makes sense to you.

ASSAYED NUTRIENT VALUES FOR A LARGE RAW EGG*
Based on 59 g. shell weight with 50 g. total liquid whole egg, 33.4 g. white and 16.6 g. yolk NUTRIENT AND UNIT WHOLE WHITE YOLK
Proximate

Water 37.66 29.33 8.10
Food energy--calories. 75 17 59
Protein (N x 6.25)--g. 6.25 3.52 2.78
Total lipid--g. 5.01 -- 5.12
Total carbohydrate--g. .61 .34 .30
Ash--g. .47 .21 .29
Lipids

Fatty acids as triglycerides--g. 4.327 -- 4.428
Saturated--total 1.550 -- 1.586
8:0 Caprylic .002 -- .002
10:0 Capric .002 -- .002
12:0 Lauric .002 -- .002
14:0 Myristic .017 -- .017
16:0 Palmitic 1.113 -- 1.139
18:0 Stearic .392 -- .401
20:0 Arachidic** .020 -- .020
Monounsaturated--total 1.905 -- 1.949
14:1 Myristoleic** .005 -- .005
16:1 Palmitoleic .149 -- .152
18:1 Oleic 1.736 -- 1.776
20:1 Eicosenoic .014 -- .014
22:1 Erucic .002 -- .002
Polyunsaturated--total .682 -- .698
18:2 Linoleic .574 -- .587
18:3 Linolenic .017 -- .017
20:4 Arachidonic .071 -- .073
20:5 Eicosapentaeonic .002 -- .002
22:6 Docosahexaenoic .018 -- .019
Cholesterol--mg. 213 -- 213
Lecithin--g.** 1.15 -- 1.11
Cephalin--g.** .23 -- .219
Vitamins

A--IU 317 -- 323
D--IU** 24.5 -- 24.5
E--mg. .70 -- .70
B12--mcg. .50 .07 .52
Biotin--mcg.** 9.98 2.34 7.58
Choline--mg.** 215.06 .42 215.97
Folic Acid (Folacin)--mcg 23 1 24
Inositol--mg.** 5.39 1.38 3.95
Niacin--mg (B3) .037 .031 .002
Pantothenic acid--mg .627 .04 .632
Pyridoxine (B6)--mg. .070 .001 .065
Riboflavin (B2)--mg. .254 .151 .106
Thiamine (B1)--mg. .031 .002 .028
Minerals--mg.

Calcium 25 2 23
Chlorine** 87.1 60.0 27.1
Copper .007 .002 .004
lodine** .024 .001 .022
Iron .72 .01 .59
Magnesium 5 4 1
Manganese .012 .001 .012
Phosphorus 89 4 81
Potassium 60 48 16
Sodium 63 55 7
Sulfur** 82 56 25
Zinc .55 -- .52
Amino Acids--g.

Alanine .348 .203 .143
Arginine .375 .191 .199
Aspartic acid .628 .358 .272
Cystine .145 .091 .050
Glutamic acid .816 .467 .353
Glycine .210 .123 .086
Histidine .148 .079 .072
Isoleucine .341 .199 .141
Leucine .534 .296 .244
Lysine .449 .239 .221
Methionine .195 .121 .069
Phenylalanine .332 .205 .119
Proline .249 .137 .116
Serine .465 .242 .238
Threonine .300 .160 .148
Tryptophan .076 .043 .033
Tyrosine .255 .137 .124
Valine .381 .224 .155

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.