Cathe and the BodyRx

Its a lifestyle really! One of good, clean nutrition, NO STARVING EVER, and weight training. Some of us combine Cathe's videos like MIS and S&H with the nutrition. There's more to it than that but sadly I gotta run now. Try reviewing the book, The BodyRx by Dr. Scott Connelly on Amazon.com. :)

Hi group:

I'm trying to lose about 30 pounds and man have I tried just about everything and every combo of exercise and eating. So, I'm going to give this BodyRx a try. It looks VERY interesting on the web link you gave us. Any advice for a newbie????

Thanks, Marcia. :)

Yes! First thing is you have to work on reprograming your mindset about food. Starving IS NOT GOOD! :) And also you may have to work on the concept that you must do nonstop areobics to burn fat, it simply isn't necessary, is often a hinderance to fat loss and is often plain boring. One of the happiest days of my life was reading that I can throw out all that areobic stuff that bugs the "H" outta me..But I still do Taebo, simply because I love it.

Will look forward to see you on the board. :)

Mindi:

If you don't mind.....what are your typical workouts for the week? Or do they vary a lot with this program? I have a lot of cardio tapes, and a few sculpting ones of Cathe's so I hope I have what it takes.

Thanks. Marcia. :)

Hi Marcia! Weight lifting w/the BodyRX program is very different. There are 4 Cycles and each Cycle lasts 6 weeks. On Day 1 you would work your chest and biceps (large muscle and then a small muscle). You would lift the heaviest weight that you possibly can using excellent form and only eek out 6 reps per set. You'll do a total of 3 sets for each 3 exercises per body part. Day 2 Legs and Abs, Day 3 Back and Triceps and Day 4 Shoulders and Abs. Now I also do yoga on Sat. morning and then cardio for 30 min. in the afternoon and on Sun. I do one hr. of cardio (Circuit Max, Interval Max, Powerstrike and Rhythmic Step). The exercises for chest would go like this:

Chest: Bench Press either with a barbell or dumbbells do 6 reps, 3 sets and rest for 3 min. in between each set.
Flyes same reps and sets
Incline Bench Press
Incline Flyes and then push ups S&H way

Mindi and I have been doing the S&H tapes for Cycle 1 but working our muscles the BRX way instead of the slow and heavy fashion.

This will lay down the ground work for obtaining bigger muscles. The program has 4 Cycles and by the time you reach Cycle 3 (Fat Burning stage) all of your hard work from before will finally show through because you'll be dropping all the fat.

We just love this type of strength training; I've gotten bigger arms and I'm starting to get more cut than ever before so I know its working. You would have to read the book to fully understand the nutrition as well as the 4 Cycles; what's supposed to happen. Check it out and join us! Kathy

Thank you for that update. I will check out that book this week. Is it 'good' reading??

Thanks again, I can't wait to get started. :)

Hi there,

my two cents: I'm starting out myself with body rx, I'm in the first cycle week 4 or so, and I'm not following the exercise plan. In the book Dr. Connelly says himself that the plan is 75% diet, and I am just follwing my regular Cathe routine, but am finding the eating plan excellent. I may try the program fully, with exercises, next year.

Christine

I'm ordering Intensity Vol. 3 today..I think it'll fit in really well w/BRX! I only wish I could get it right away. LOL But I won't need it really til I get through C3 and 4 and then I plan on going back to C1 and beginning again. I really LOVE the lifting heavy stuff.

Marcia, if I can say a bit about my eating plan? Everyone who begins the program must realize that major fat loss most likely will NOT occur until Cycle 3, which is the Fatburning cycle. Your body, during Cylces 1 and 2, are eased into a healthier way of eating, rather than having a whole new system just dumped on you. Your body also gains muscle and you build and sculpt that muscle during C1 and C2, this means that your body is reving itself up to become a fatburning machine! Your metabolism will become highly efficient and you will no longer worry about calories, only worry that you're getting ENOUGH to eat, aka, fiber and protein.

Its wonderful to see muscles emerge from where only fat was before. I have actual, defined TRICEPS now!!!! HOORAY! :)

Marcia,

The results I have seen so far with the eating plan haven't really been scale results. let me say first of all that I don't usually weigh myself anyway, my goal is to fit into my clothes more comfortably (maybe drop a half size or so) but I don't really have weight to lose. My goal is also to develop clean eating habits that I can stick to and live with, and in that respect the plan is working really well for me so far. I find that I feel hungry every few hours, and as long as I eat a protein at every meal I don't crave junk. This is a big accomplishment for me!

I am looking forward to lowering my body fat, but as Mindy says, I don't think I'll see any dramatic changes until I am into the third cycle of the plan. I want to see some of this muscle a little better. I do think my shoulders and arms look a tinch more defined, even now.

Christine

Kathy
I have joined your group at MSN last wk and am very impressed and got lots good info.
I wanted to know if you could help me with Cycle 1... Can you give the the exercies for this that you do... You have already given Chest.
I do not live in the states and will not be there until 3 wks and will then get the book..I can then read and understand the diet but at least with the exercies I can get a good start.
I just finished 12 wks with T-top with good results and just today stared S& H.
I have S& H, P.S> and Power Hr (MIS & BMax)
Which other dvd do you recommend with this program?
Thanks you soooo much...
Lorene

Hi Lorene! Hope this helps but I will say that you should not start the weight lifting program without understanding the nutrition. To give you a heads-up on nutrition your supposed to take in the same amount of protein grams as your weight, carb grams are double your weight BUT you are not to use the carb number as a target rather its a limit, not to go over. You MUST take in 30 grams of fiber a day but you see your not going to know how much fiber there is in all of the veggies and fruits that you'll be consuming. For example, I'm 110#s so I have to take in 110g protein, 220g carbs. Once you understand how much your to eat this gives you the POWER to lift and believe me when I tell you that you'll be increasing your weight very quickly as the weeks go by. Anyway, here are the exercises that I do for the rest of my body:

Biceps: I work the same way as Slow & Heavy tape except I don't use the slow and heavy fashion.
Back: I use the Slow and Heavy tape exercises exactly as on the tape but in this case I do lift slow and heavy fashion.
Triceps: I use the Slow and Heavy tape exercises exactly as on the tape but in this case too I lift slow and heavy fashion.
Legs: Now here I change it up every week from Pure Strength Strong Legs, Slow and Heavy Legs and Leaner Legs. For Leaner Legs try to pick a weight that's not too heavy but not too light either.
Shoulders: Slow and Heavy tape exercises but do not lift slow and heavy fashion.

The reason for this is because of the amount of weight of my dumbbells. I'm using either a 15 or 20# dumbbell. You want to get bigger here too so that you'll achieve that nice "V" shape on the side of the arm and the only way to do that is to get really big in your biceps as well as the triceps. I've gotten bigger as well and more tight. Your going to love working the body parts this way. There's no fatigue when you get to work the small muscle. I hope this helps and let us know how your progressing. Good Luck! Kathy

Kathy
Thank you so much,, this was what I wanted... I know that I am very anxious to start something new and from what I have been reading BodyRX is great...
I understand about the Nutrition and will understand it and do it correctly when I get the book.
I have been eating controlled carb for 5plus yrs and take good care to get good nutrition... I am 53 and 5'9" and 128# My wt is good so I don't have to worry about the lbs but I want to be healthy and strong as I get older (hate that word) lifting 12-15#'s 30# barbell
Is there any other DVD's that I should get.. I think you mentioned the Intensity series...I have also been debating on the CTX series and see you use that for the legs(leaner legs)
I can order them next wk and when I arrive Florida (my son's home) they will be there for me.. also the book from Amazon.
Thanks again and I will update you on your site...
Lorene

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.