can't lose weight

pomsR#1

Hi Cathe, I have been doing cardio and little weights, mostly spin and rowing maching and some running, but my weight is not budging much, why is my weight not moving much, I do notice my legs and abs are toning up though, the cottage cheese is just about gone,

Not Cathe, but thought I would respond. I, too, recently have been unable to lose weight (I had been doing lots of cardio and some weights, but no results). I decided to change things up a bit and cut back a little on cardio (I still did cardio 6 days a week, but not the really hard, long workouts I had been doing). Plus I decided to go heavier with my weights. I also cleaned my diet up even better than before (I cut down on carbs -- most of my carbs were from vegetables). Anyhow -- that changed things up quite a bit to where I've been seeing the weight come off more. Maybe increasing your weight workouts would really help.

Good luck! Julie

Most likely you're gaining muscle and losing fat, so for now your total weight may not be changing on the scale -- but muscle weighs more than fat. A better way to assess your results is to compare your girth measurements and the way your clothes fit. If you're seeing more definition and the "cottage cheese" is almost gone, you're doing great. You will have to change up your program eventually (probably sooner, rather than later) to see continued progress. Best wishes on your success!

Marla

This is exactly where I was about a month ago. The stupid thing was - as you say - I was seeing the results, but somehow psychologically I needed the affirmation from the number I was seeing on the scale to reinforce that belief. If the results I could see in the mirror were backed up by the results I was seeing on the scale somehow that seemed to validate it. Stupid I know, but that little voice in my brain just wouldn't quit so I resorted to counting calories. I thought this would be daunting and only resorted to it as a last resort, but once you get into the swing of it it's pretty simple.

In the process of doing this I was also reading and picking up valuable bits of nutritional information on various sites. At the end of the day it makes you really think about 'little treats' you're having that you might otherwise choose to eat and overlook.

Anyway - slow progress but the results do speak for themselves.

Good luck.

Hi Cathe, I have been doing cardio and little weights, mostly spin and rowing maching and some running, but my weight is not budging much, why is my weight not moving much, I do notice my legs and abs are toning up though, the cottage cheese is just about gone,

Not Cathe, but I thought I'd chime in:

You don't mention what you are doing with your eating. Weight loss is 80% diet. There is the possiblity of 2 things going on (well probably more, but 2 are likely). You are either eating too much or too little.

You need at least 1200 calories to keep your metabolism going.

You need a calorie deficit of 3500 calories to lose 1 pound. Most workouts you are burning 250-400 calories (maybe more depending on your intensity and weight) so you can see it takes a lot of working out to burn 3500 calories. And it is very easy to eat that same amount of calories (a can of Coke is over 200 for instance, or a 1/2 cup of cooked rice is roughly 100 calories.) If you are not tracking your calories and weighing and measuring your food, I'd start there. It is time intensive but gets easier over time and is one of the best ways to ensure progress. There is a great free tracker over at www.sparkpeople.com and there is one here too (although I find the sparkpeople one a bit easier to use for my purposes - a lot of foods are already entered there.)

One other thing is if you are doing the same workouts over and over again, you should try mixing it up. Your muscles get very efficient and stop burning as many calories (stop being as challenged) pretty quickly - within 4-6 weeks, I believe.

Maybe something here can help.

15 pounds lost

I was going from eating to starving, but now I changed that, I eat healthy foods and cut out most of the sugar because I was having big problem with my blood sugars, but I was still drinking coffee in the morning with creamer and splenda, but it was making my sugars go haywire so I quit drinking the coffee and feeling much better, I do see so much differance in my body, the cottage cheese look in my legs and thighs are going away and looking more toned!! love that, and I guess I am losing inches because I tried on a pair of jeans I couldn't wear for a year or more, and they fit!!!! really good too!! but the scale has only gone down 2 pounds since my first post, I am also retaining water, so I am cutting out most of my salt intake and drinking more water, but now my knee is killing me again!! oh what a mess I am LOL

You may have shocked your system a bit with going to nothing, but probably have it fixed now. I bet with the added water and a bit more food you'll see some progress. And yeah, muscle does have weight, although you'll maybe gain 1/2 lb a month? It is a fairly small amount for most people.

I just want to say I can relate. I have been trying to lose weight since February. I have only lost 37 lbs. I even had blood-work done to eliminate any other possible reason other then my usual health issues. I am very specific with my eating and work out daily. I have to say, if I did not have a deep love for working out I would have thrown in the towel back in April. I have found that when I shake things up both with calorie intake and numerous workouts i have my best results. Hang in there. Peggy

I just want to say I can relate. I have been trying to lose weight since February. I have only lost 37 lbs. I even had blood-work done to eliminate any other possible reason other then my usual health issues. I am very specific with my eating and work out daily. I have to say, if I did not have a deep love for working out I would have thrown in the towel back in April. I have found that when I shake things up both with calorie intake and numerous workouts i have my best results. Hang in there. Peggy

Peggy ... ONLY lost 37 lbs? That's fantastic! Don't sell yourself short!

Stebby

It sounds better then it is. I have never lost more then 8 lbs in a month, which is pretty low considering my calorie intake and my 2 workouts a day. Thank You for the compliment Stebby. I do appreciate it.
Peggy

Peggy ... well, I think you're doing just great. I've lost 20 lbs since April and I'm practically jumping up and down about it - you've lost almost double that with just a couple of extra months. Way to go!

Stebby

It sounds better then it is. I have never lost more then 8 lbs in a month, which is pretty low considering my calorie intake and my 2 workouts a day. Thank You for the compliment Stebby. I do appreciate it.
Peggy

That just means it will stick. Slower weight loss is easier to maintain. I would be ecstatic if I had lost 37 pounds this year. You are awesome:eek:

That is great Stebby! I hope those pounds keep coming off. Losing weight for me is truly a long arduous journey. That is good news about the maintenance.
Peggy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.