Can't lose weight

lmmonk

I was very interested in the messages from amyfit about gaining weight. My problem is different - I can't lose weight. I gained about 8-10 pounds last year and no matter what I do I can't seem to drop any pounds. I have been stuck for 2 months, I exercise (weight training and cardio) 5 days per week for 40 to 75 minutes per day. I count my calories and try to stay below 1500 during the week and around 1800 during the weekend. I am 37, 3 kids, 5'5" and currently weight 148 pounds. I thought that if I cut back during the week, I could at least lose 1-2 per MONTH. But I haven't. After losing 4 pounds within the first week, I have been stuck for the 8 weeks. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Lisa

Hi Lisa,

One piece of advice I picked up from a Professor (his field was diabetics)was every 10 years you gain a stone in weight. Thats the bad news for the rest could I suggest:

1) Check with your doctor are you taking any meds
2) Try upping you calorie intake during the week
3) Have a look at what you are eating over the week and weekends
4) I would encourage you to drink water

Cutting back is not always the solution as your body tends to think that you are heading into starvation mode and therefore will not let go of fat.

I know you get more advice from the Educated Crowd.

Babs

Hi Lisa,

Sounds like you are currently stuck on a plateau, and I know how much it sucks because I have been there many times before. My advice to you would be to shake things up a bit. Have you looked at changing your routine lately? Our bodies are such wonderful machines that they adapt relatively quickly to the demands we make upon them. You could revamp your exercise program in any one of several ways, and hopefully shock and confuse your body enough to get off the plateau.

1. Try a new cardio activity a few days a week. For example, it you have never tried running, give it a try.
2. Add a few extra minutes to every cardio workout
3. Up the intensity of cardio workouts
4. Incorporate some interval training
5. Try a new weight routine, if you aren't currently doing a split routine, try it. If you are on a split routine, change the order of the routine, and try a different type of muscle workout every once in a while.
6. Cut back on the cardio, and add an additional resistance workout.

I just wanted to add my two cents. Hopefully this will give you some new ideas. If you are ever looking for a new rotation, you can always post here and there are plenty of us who would love to give you ideas! Good luck in your workouts. Sounds like you are doing great, keep it up!

Could you be gaining Muscle? I know I weigh more now than I did before I started working out consistantly, but everything is firmer.

> I count
>my calories and try to
>stay below 1500 during the
>week and around 1800 during
>the weekend.

Maybe take a look at "what" you are eating rather than just counting calories. I know, for me at least, diet is 80% of the battle. I try to eat clean 90% of the time and eat protein and good carbs at every meal; and have 1 free day a week and I've had great success. Everyone has their own balance of what works so try various "programs", etc. and see if you can find one that works for you.

Colleen

Hi Lisa! It's great that you up your calories on certain days and lower them on others to balance everything out! That keeps your metabolism working for you properly! A common problem is that people up there calories when they are not as active and lower them when they are more active! You want to up your calories when you are having a high active day especially if your weight training for an hour or doing strenuous labor for the day! You want to lower your caloric intake when you won't be burning as much or a doing lower intensity workout! You need to find out what your BMR(basal metabolic rate) is and go from there on knowing how many calories your body needs on a daily basis! Since your looking to lose--you need to know if your eating enough or too much! I'd do it for you but I don't know your weight or your activity level! Also you need to take into consideration that it's not just "what" you eat, it's "WHEN" you eat that can make a big difference! I hope this was helpful!Your friend in fitness~~Francine

You might try cutting way back on the carbs. If you look up carb addict in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of me. If it were up to my appetite, I would eat nothing but white foods (with loads of cheese), but I don't, of course. I find that if I go by the food pyramid recommendations on carbs, I not only can't lose weight, but I'm starving to death! The more carbs I eat, the more I want. Because I'm a vegetarian, I have to be watchful of getting enough protein to satisfy my hunger and balance with my workouts. If it weren't for that, I might never have found out what carbs do to me.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions.

To Francine: To calculate my BMR: I am 37 years old, 5'5", and currently weigh 148-150. I exercise 5 days per week for an hour, doing 2-3 days weights, and 2-3 days cardio. For cardio, I either do videos, exercise bike, or walk/run.

For diet, I am currently doing slimfast. I am strict during the week, and a little looser during the weekend. But I try to stay below 1800 calories on Saturday and Sunday.

I do have alot of muscle tone, and actually have switched my exercise rountine around. I really just want to lose 8 more pounds.

Thanks, Lisa

You are not taking in enough calories for a person as active as you are. You are lowering your setpoint and forcing starvation. You MUST have nourishment -- especially if you are extremely active.

I am 5'1" and weigh 107 pounds. I eat appx. 2,000 calories per day -- but I make sure the food is quality nutrition. I am very active physically and just can't sustain an efficient workout on fewer calories.

your BMR

Hi Lisa! I did your calculations!Your BMR=1398 is the number of calories you'd burn a day while lying down but not sleeping!(This is what you burn in 24hrs) Now that you know that--I have your daily caloric expenditure that depends on your activity level for the day! On a high activity day with weight training or intense activity for an hr--your calorie intake should be 2307 calories---on a very light couch potato day --your caloric intake should be 1817 calories! You need to plan your meals around your day! Fats,protein and carbs! Ask yourself what am I going to be doing for the next 2 -3 hrs? If your taking a nap, eat fewer carbs,if you'll be working out-eat more carbs!Your carbs should be adjusted up or down depending upon anticipated energy output! Since you still want to lose 8 lbs- you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time-you must alternate periods of negative calorie balance with periods of positive calorie balance! This alteration will readjust your BMR upwards making it easier to keep the fat off and build lean tissue!--I don't know which days that you workout and rest but the simplest way to stay on track is to eat more on high activity days and less on low activity days! Alot of people binge on the weekends because they had a hard week of working out and want to treat themselves! Well it's always good to treat yourself once a week but not "cheat" yourself of all the hard work you been doing! Atleast work out on one of the days if you plan to splurge over the weekend to keep up with your high calorie day! If you eat good during the week then take a day off during the week and workout on a weekend day!Try to keep it simple, get enough calories in--and give yourself 2 but no more than 3 high calorie days (2307 calories)in a week and 5(or 4) middle to low calorie days ranging from 2166 to 1817 calories----***you can deduct 300 calories on your low activity days making it between 1866 to 1566 calories on 2 days but not recommended to go under that****! Try to eat 5x a day--plan ahead and make sure you take multivitamins to keep up with your nutritional needs!Remember it's not just what you eat--it's when you eat too! I hope this was helpful!Your friend in fitness~~Francine

RE: your BMR

Francine,

You said something that puzzled me. You said a person can't build muscle and burn fat at the same time. Could you explain that a little more, please. I've never heard that before, and I don't understand well enough to ask a more specific question. I'm depending on you to read my mind and draw the question out of it. :)

Shari

Losing Fat/Gaining Muscle at the same time

Of interest:

How to build muscle and lose fat at the same time...
A common goal for many people — especially when they're just starting out on a regular training program — is to lose fat and build muscle at the same time.

The reason that trying to lose fat and build muscle simultaneously is so difficult (but not impossible) is because of the opposing demands these goals impose on your body. To build a lot of new muscle tissue, your body needs energy. In other words, you'll need to overfeed — to consume more calories than you're burning each day. To lose fat, you need to create an energy deficit — to consume fewer calories than you burn.

Build muscle
Of course, it is possible to lose fat and build muscle at the same time, especially if you're just starting an exercise program. But your progress will be a lot slower than if you were to devote all your energy to one goal. So slow, in fact, that it's easy to become discouraged by your lack of progress and throw in the towel.

The fact is, you're far more likely to get better results by splitting your training goals into several phases, and working on one after the other.

The problem comes when deciding which goal to work towards first. The typical approach is to bulk up as quickly as possible by eating everything in sight. Then, you simply shed the fat to reveal the layers of new muscle tissue you've worked so hard to build.

However, Dr. Gilbert Forbes, Professor Emeritus of Pediatrics and Biophysics at New York's University of Rochester, points out that during a period of overfeeding, you'll gain more muscle and less fat if you're lean to start with. In other words, if you want to lose fat and build muscle, focus on losing the fat first.

Lose fat
Fat is simply stored energy. Remember that energy is neither created nor destroyed over time. Although it might change form, the sum total always remains the same.

For example, the chemical energy in gasoline is changed into the same amount of movement energy in a moving car. When you put the brakes on, this movement energy isn't lost. Rather, it's converted into heat energy in the brakes.

The same principle holds true for the food you eat. Green plants use carbon dioxide, water, and the energy from the sun to form a type of sugar called glucose. That's where the word "carbohydrate" comes from. Carbo means "carbon", while hydrate means "water".

When you eat the plant (or the animal that's eaten the plant), the energy then gets stored in your body, in the form of fat, carbohydrate, or protein. When you exercise, this chemical energy is converted into both movement and heat energy.

Overfeeding
When you overfeed for a period of several weeks, it's common to gain a small amount of muscle as well as fat. In fact, obese people are not just overfat. They also have a lot more muscle than their lean counterparts. It's just so well hidden that you can't see it.

Dr. Forbes has discovered that the amount of fat and muscle you gain when you overfeed depends on how much bodyfat you have to start with. He reviewed a number of studies where test subjects were overfed for a minimum of three weeks.

For every 10 pounds of weight gained by an overweight individual, 4 pounds come from lean tissue, and 6 pounds come from fat.

For every 10 pounds of weight gained by a lean individual, 7 pounds come from lean tissue, and 3 pounds come from fat.

Of course, more lean tissue doesn't necessarily equate to more muscle tissue. Stored fluid and carbohydrate also contribute to gains in lean tissue.

These figures shouldn't be taken as an accurate guide as to what you'll gain when you overfeed. After all, everyone has a slightly different definition of what "lean" means. Moreover, the longer the period of overfeeding lasts, the greater the chances are that the weight you gain will be in the form of fat. Rather, these numbers illustrate the principle that it's best to focus all your efforts on losing fat before trying to build muscle.

It's also worth pointing out that a period of controlled overfeeding should be relatively short (no longer than eight weeks). If it lasts too long, your body fat levels will rise, and the proportion of fat weight you gain will increase. And don't try to add weight too quickly. If you're consistently gaining more than one pound in weight each week, the chances are that a lot of it's fat, rather than muscle.

Reference

Forbes, G.B. (2000). Body fat content influences the body composition response to nutrition and exercise. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 904, 359-365

RE: Losing Fat/Gaining Muscle at the same time

Wow! I didn't know any of this!

I'm 41 and only began exercising regularly about 3 years ago. I've lost 99 pounds since then (yippee!), but I'm pretty much stuck now. I can't seem to lose much anymore (hypothyroid for l3 years, but taking meds for it).

I cut back on the cardio when I added weight training to my fitness activities--an hour a day, 3-4 days a week--a little less than a year ago. I was on Weight Watchers, faithfully, as I still am, and riding my bike 75-150 miles a week, depending on the season, but had basically stopped losing even then.

I've only lost about l0 pounds in the last year, despite trying everything I can think of--eating less, eating more, vitamins, etc.

Now I only ride an average of 40-50 miles a week, plus the weight training. Can anyone suggest a good plan for maintaining the muscle I've already built but concentrating on losing fat? I've built up all this wonderful muscle, but I'm the only one who knows it's there. I want to show it off (by losing more fat)! I could lose another 30-40 pounds and still be within a healthy weight range for my height.

Thanks, everyone, for all you help.

Shari

RE: your BMR

Hi Shari! I was puzzled by your post wondering what part you read! But I see where the confusion is--I wrote "you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time"- not that a person can't build muscle and burn fat at the same time! That would be confusing!I'd be happy though to clarify on this more! My reply was in regards to Lisa losing 8lbs! The reality is Bigger muscles DO burn more calories! When we lose weight (lbs) we also lose lean body mass(which slows the metabolism down)! The other reality is that all too common (crash)weightloss strategies do more harm to the body than good! If a person weighs 200 lbs and lost 30 lbs, the poor soul probably lost 21 lbs of muscle and 9 lbs of fat! This scenario happens over and over again! It's really important to know your BMR , eat 5 -6 smaller meals a day, and exercise regularly to maintain or improve your lean muscle mass! It is an important rule in scientific fat-loss nutrition to eat more calories on high activity days and less on low activity days and to know how to balance it out! Proper nutrition and knowing how to plan your meals according to your daily activities will always maintain sugar levels throughout the day and keep your metabolism working properly! Hope this was more helpful!
K-60 Hey Kerri! Thanks for that added info and taking the time to share that with us!Your friend in fitness~~Francine

RE: Losing Fat/Gaining Muscle at the same time

Talk about timing! This article from K60 was interesting to me! I was just going through my backed up emails and I signed up for a free newsletter a while ago and use to delete it now and then from http://thefactsaboutfitness.com and this particular article was there! I forgot how neat and informative this site was--you should all check it out!You can never have enough info or research to read! You just have to sort through things to your personal level and goals! Your friend in fitness~~Francine

The reply from Francine was very interesting. I guess I am like alot of other people in my exercise/diet mentality. I workout Monday through Friday for one hour and try to eat as little as possible. The dieting is easier during the week while I am at work. During the weekend (I have 3 children:ages 7, 5, 2)I don't exercise and I tend to eat more due to social outings. For instance, I completely lost control this past weekend and overate Friday night through Sunday night. Now, I feel like I must make up for that.

From what Francine said, I should be eating as follows:

Monday through Friday, with 1 hour of exercise: 1817-2166 calories per day

Saturday: some exercise, maybe walking for 45-60 minutes - 2300 calories.

Sunday: no exercise: 1566-1866 calories.

Do I understand this correctly? Has anyone ever tried this and was successful losing those last couple of pounds. Right now, I trying not to feel horrible about myself for "blowing it" over the weekend. In addition, I hurt my neck and back, and haven't worked out at all for 6 days.

Lisa

Hi Lisa! Just try to keep it simple! Have 2 higher calorie days a week and balance the rest of the 5 according to your activities! If you can-- workout on the weekends since this is when you tend to let loose! Do a lower/upperbody split? Just a suggestion!Your friend in fitness~~Francine

To tell you the truth, I am scared to try this. I have been dieting for so long (20 years) and I have never intentionally eaten so many calories. But I never understood why I am not losing weight when I am using the slimfast products and eat as little at 1200-1300 several days per week. Even if I eat more on the weekends, I thought I would still have a net negative calorie deficit by the end of a week.

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.