Can I still do Cathe workouts after arthroscopic knee surgery?

gardenlady

I had knee surgery a week ago. I'm doing well although no where near ready for stepping and jumping is out of the question.

Hi Gardenlady! What was your knee surgery for? Unless they took a lot of stuff out, you will most likely be able to do Cathe workouts once you recover. But do give it time and listen to your body, and of course listen to your doctor. If you are having physiotherapy, make sure to consult with your physiotherapist as well.

I've had two arthroscopic knee surgeries: one in 1993 to remove some torn meniscus tissue after a skiing accident (in which I also partially tore my ACL and broke my fibula), and one to repair my ACL in 1999 after an extremely minor skiing accident (in which I tore what was left of the ACL). I wasn't doing Cathe workouts yet in 1993, but after 3 weeks or so I was able to resume my FIRM workouts. By 1999 I was doing Cathe workouts - this surgery was much more major and it was about 3 months before I started doing her weight workouts again, and another couple of months to start her cardio workouts again, modified to remove jumping. At about the 1-year mark I was able to do all her workouts and at the 12-year mark I'm still doing them with no modifications - as long as I keep up a proper stretching and yoga routine for my legs I am fine. I've also completed INSANITY and INSANITY: The Asylum, which are both very high impact programs, with very few modifications.

Stebby

It depends on your age and what they did during surgery. I had a meniscus tear and a lot of arthritis cleaned up in my knee 3 yrs ago. Because of my age, my weight, and the procedure it took a full year for the knee to not hurt 24/7.

I now play tennis but I'm sore afterwards. I still cannot do much bending/stress type activities.

Talk to your doctor. I would not try anything until the doc gives you the OK.

Absolutely you can!!! Listen to your body, your physical therapist, and your doctor. In that order.

I've had 2 on my left knee - once for a plica removal and to clean up torn cartilage, and once for a lateral release and a meniscus tear. The 2nd one hurt way more than the 1st, but recovery was about the same. I had a better PT the 2nd time, at least in my opinion.

I was back to easy (basic step) Cathe at 4-6 weeks, RS a couple weeks after that, everything modified shortly after that, and by about 6 months the whole shebang, with a little bit of achiness after. It probably took 9-12 months for the aches to stop post workout on a consistent basis.

The PT told me I could do whatever I want as long as it doesn't hurt. The Dr wasn't a big fan of running and jumping, preferring biking or swimming. Oddly enough running/jumping doesn't bother me. Swimming and bike riding hurt. Go figure.

Rest up and heal well!!

Nan

Thanks to all. I miss my workouts already. I did order the new impact series with my joint issue in mind. The Dr. said to take it easy and do the recommended exercises - some bother me others don't. I guess all in all it is better to get meniscus tears fixed then let them become a permanent annoyance.

I would stick with your PT routine for now. I had ACL surgery a few years back and am able to do everything I was able to before I tore it, but it did take awhile. My knee still aches almost always, but now I'm a runner and almost 44... so that could have a lot to do with it too.

Thanks to all. I miss my workouts already. I did order the new impact series with my joint issue in mind. The Dr. said to take it easy and do the recommended exercises - some bother me others don't. I guess all in all it is better to get meniscus tears fixed then let them become a permanent annoyance.

...good comments above :D One thing you may want to consider is a Mat Step.

Mat Step#

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.