calling your fave xmas cookie recipes

Oh and fudge! I know, not a cookie but this is really quick and looks hard, the best kind of recipe. :)

Five Minute Fudge
Heat a pot on the stove top- low heat. Add to the pot:
1 12 oz. bag of semi sweet chocolate chips
¾ of a 12 oz. bag (or 1 C.) of butterscotch chips
1 can (14 oz.) of sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Add anything else you like- walnuts and currants, raisins and peanuts, etc.
Grease a round cake pan, wrap the can from the milk in plastic wrap and secure with rubber band. Put can in center of the pan. Pour the mixture around the can to make a wreath. Put in fridge for 30 minutes or so. Then take a knife and cut around the edge and lift out the can. The fudge will come right out on to a plate- decorate the top with red and green candied cherries to make it look like a wreath. The whole thing takes no time at all and tastes great. Very festive!

Snickerdoodles

Jess, what are snickerdoodles??? They sound yummy, please can I have recipe?

Aggie

Oh, they are! They are my 9yo's favorite! It's hard to describe exactly what they're like, sort of a sugar cinnamon cookie?

(here's a similar recipe, mine is just a *little* different - I add 2 Tbsp. milk & use 3/4 tsp. salt instead of 1/2 tsp. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Snickerdoodles-I/Detail.aspx)

Snickerdoodles
  • 1 cup shortening (Crisco butter flavor is best)
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar (for holidays, we add green & red sprinkles)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Stir in the eggs. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended. In a small bowl, stir together the 2 tablespoons of sugar, and the cinnamon. Roll dough into walnut sized balls, then roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar. Place them onto an unprepared cookie sheet, two inches apart.
  3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be slightly brown. Remove from sheets to cool on wire racks.

I know one recipe I'd LIKE to find. One time someone brought some gingersnaps to a playgroup but they were NOT crunchy/hard. They were soft with a bit of cinnamon sugar or something on the outside. WOW were they tasty!!!! She didn't have a recipe but threw them together... so if anyone has a recipe like that please share!

Oh what a wonderful idea, Lorrie!! I love it!!

I love baking and I love Christmas because of all the baking I do. My "cookie box" this year will have...
*oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (my standard and most popular cookie amongst family and friends)
*white chocolate macadamia nut
*chocolate chocolate chip (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies-I/Detail.aspx)
*old-fashioned sugar cookies (frosted and decorated like christmas trees)
*peanut butter blossoms (probably Jess' recipe)
*snikerdoodles (LOVE the idea of rolling in red and green sugar!)

Let me know if you are interested in any of those recipes! They are all sooooooo good!

These aren't my favorite but everyone loves them. They are also good to serve on Thanksgiving because of the cranberries.

CRANBERRY TREASURE COOKIES

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
One 10-oz. package (1 1/2 cups) Nestle Toll House Treasures Premier White deluxe baking pieces
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon grated orange rind

Preheat over to 375 degrees. Grease two large cookie sheets. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In large mixer bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until creamy. Blend in egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in white baking pieces, cranberries, pecans and orange rind. Drop by heaping measuring tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.

Bake 12 to 14 minutes until golden brown. Let stand 2 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets; cook. Store loosely covered, up to 3 days.

Makes about 2 dozen

Here are two of my favorites.

MIXED NUT TURTLES
A layer of melted chocolate nestles between salty nuts on this candy-like cookie.
¾ cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 (9-ounce) can mixed nuts (with almonds, macadamia nuts, cashews and pecans)
1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate morsels
2 teaspoons shortening

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy, and gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolk and vanilla extract, beating well. Add flour, beating just until blended.

Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten each ball of dough into a 2-inch circle, using fingers. Press nuts firmly into outside top edges of cookies.

Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Carefully remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

Place chocolate and shortening in top of a double boiler over hot water; stir until melted. Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon melted chocolate mixture onto center of each cookie. Spread and smooth chocolate mixture between nuts. Let set until chocolate is firm.

These have been my favorites since I was a little girl. They are especially good frozen!!!

Mexican Swizzle Sticks

1 cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ½ cups flour
2 envelopes (1 oz. each) premelted chocolate
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat oven to 375̊̊. Mix butter, sugar, egg and vanilla thoroughly. Blend in flour and cinnamon. Mix in premelted chocolate.

With star plate in cookie press, form 4-inch fingers on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 5 -7 minutes or until set. Cool. Drizzle with chocolate glaze and sprinkle with colored shots or finely chopped nuts.

Chocolate Glaze

Blend 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 2 envelopes premelted chocolate and 8 teaspoons milk.

Makes about 4 dozen.

I'm not a Red Velvet fan but I get raves every time I make these. I think they're pretty for Christmas, also.

Red Velvet Cookies

2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
½ cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature
2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 tablespoon red food coloring
¾ cup sour cream
2 cups flour (pack it down in the cup when you measure it)
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

1. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray. Melt chocolate and let cool.
2. Combine the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat them on medium speed until they're smooth. This should take less than a minute.
3. Add the baking soda and salt, and resume beating on medium again for another minute, or until they're incorporated. Add the egg and beat on medium speed until the batter is smooth. Add the red food coloring and mix for about 30 seconds.
4. Shut off the mixer and scrape down the bowl. Then add the melted chocolate and mix again for another minute on medium speed. Shut off the mixer and scrape down the bowl again. At low speed, mix in half the flour. When the flour is incorporated, mix in the sour cream.
5. Scrape down the bowl again and add the rest of the flour. Beat until the flour is fully incorporated. Remove the bowl from the mixer and give it a stir with a spoon. Mix in the chocolate chips by hand.
6. Use a teaspoon to spoon the dough onto the parchment-lined cookie sheets, 12 cookies to a standard-sized sheet. Bake the cookies at 375˚F for 9 to 11 minutes, or until they rise and become firm. Slide the parchment from the cookie sheets and onto a wire rack. Let the cookies cool on the rack.

Cream Cheese Frosting

¼ cup butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar

1. Mix the softened butter with the softened cream cheese and the vanilla until the mixture is smooth.
2. Add the confectioners' sugar in half-cup increments until the frosting is of proper spreading consistency.

I know one recipe I'd LIKE to find. One time someone brought some gingersnaps to a playgroup but they were NOT crunchy/hard. They were soft with a bit of cinnamon sugar or something on the outside. WOW were they tasty!!!! She didn't have a recipe but threw them together... so if anyone has a recipe like that please share!

Here is the recipe for ginger snaps that I have been using for 20 years. They are a little crisp on the edges and soft in the middle - perfect! They are soft because they use shortening instead of butter. I always bake them for the shorter amount of time listed, but do a test batch as your oven may vary. The cookies should be a little puffy in the middle when you take them out of the oven. I bake on parchment paper, leaving the cookies on the baking sheet for a minute or so until the cookie "sets" a little more then slide the parchment paper onto my counter to finish cooling.

Soft Ginger "Snaps"

3/4 c. shortening (Crisco)
1 c. white sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. molasses
2 c. white flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves

1/4 c. white sugar to roll the balls in.

Preheat oven to 350. Cream shortening and sugar together until creamy. Add egg and molasses and stir until well mixed. In a separate bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients. Add to the batter and mix until blended. Roll the dough into small balls (I use a cookie scoop) and then roll the balls in the white sugar. Don't put them too close together on the baking sheet as they will spread. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes.

This recipe is easily doubled.

Gingersnaps that are soft...I love these.

2 1/4 c ap flour
2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground ginger
3/4 t ground cloves
1/4 t ground allspice
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter softened
1/2 c dark brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar plus extra for rolling cookies
1 large egg
1 t vanilla extract
1/3 c unsulphured molasses

Oven at 375

Cream butter and sugars
Add egg, vanilla, molasses
Add dry ingredients

Put extra sugar in shallow bowl, roll dough into balls and roll in sugar
Bake 9-13 minutes depending on size of cookie
Outer edges should set and centers should be soft and puffy.
Cool on sheet for a few minutes before moving to cooling rack

I also make some icing with powdered sugar and milk or cream and drizzle it over the top.

My personal peanut butter fudge recipe.

Ingredients:
1 Cup of butter (2 sticks) plus whatever you needed to butter the pan.
1 - 2# bag of Dark Brown sugar. I use Domino brand or C&H.
1 C Milk - I use whole milk
1 Regular size Jar Peanut Butter - I use Smuckers Natural Creamy. 1 jar is about 1 1/2 cups
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 - 2# bag of powdered sugar. Again I use Domino or C&H.

In a BIG bowl - empty the entire bag of powdered sugar and set aside.

In a stock pot melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the entire bag of brown sugar and the milk. Stir to combine and continue stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Continue stirring while mixture boils for two full minutes.

Turn off the heat and add all the peanut butter and the vanilla - stir quickly to combine and pour all of mixture over the powdered sugar.

Use a whisk to begin blending the hot mixture with the powdered sugar. When it gets too hard with the whisk, change to the spoon and continue stirring to blend together. You will still have a few small lumps of powdered sugar - you can't get rid of all of them.

The mixture will begin to thicken pretty quickly so you want to get this
all stirred together quickly and then pour into the pan (I use a 1/2 sheet pan so the fudge is pretty thin 1/2 inch thick or so) and spread to level as best you can.

Set aside to cool. Lift out of the pan, cut it up and ENJOY!

Peanut Butter Blossoms (BTW, this was my Great Grandma's recipe!)

1/2 c. butter (1 stick), softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. peanut butter (not natural, I like Jif Crunchy the best)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Hershey's kisses (or try the mini Reese's cups for extra PB flavor!)

In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, & salt. In another bowl, cream the butter & sugars. Add in the peanut butter, egg, & vanilla and mix. Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until blended.

Shape into balls & roll in sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or just until done. Immediately press Hershey's kiss in center. Let cool on wire racks.

I usually double the recipe because these are a family favorite! :D

I make these in the mini-muffin pans (from Pampered Chef). The Reese's PB cup or Hershey's Kiss is inside of the cookie then (I put them in coming right out of the oven, same as the normal recipe). Everyone loves them this way! I can never make enough!!

Jenn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.