calling your fave xmas cookie recipes

L Sass

Cathlete
Forget fitness momentarily please. This Saturday about 30 ladies on DH's side of the family will convene for a holiday cookie bake. Every year all the women on this side of the fam get together to do SOMETHING for the holidays - see a play - go to the orchestra -- go shoppin en masse -- do "at home facials" whatever. And while we are lady bonding, all the gents cook us dinner and then serve us. It really is a cool tradition.

Last year I suggested we rent a commercial kitchen as whip out a bunch of hoiday cookies. They loved the idea and put me in charge -- 'cept the commercial kitchens in our area have closed. So I have rented an old YMCA dining hall that is huge - 4 ovens, commercial everything. We ladies (and our daughters) will all go and bake all day and the men will prep dinner elsewhere, then bring it to the hall and finish cooking and serve.

It's my gig this year and I have it all ready to go -- BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT COOKIES TO MAKE. Usually I make a lot of "rolled" cookies - buckeyes, russian tea cakes, etc. But I don't want to use my time rolling. Sooo -calling your favorite xmas cookie recipes please. TIA.

I make rolled decorated cookies, using fondant and royal icing. I like the art of decorating cookies.:p

I make no fail sugar cookie recipe(very basic recipe) from this site:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos.html

They have a recipe section that rates all the recipes and a cookie section in the forum.
I like the art of the cake decorating too.:D
Anyway, you can get lost in that site!!! HTH:)

The best cookie in the world!!!

NEIMAN MARCUS COOKIE RECIPE

(Recipe may be halved): 2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal and blend in blender to a fine powder)
24 oz. chocolate chips
1 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. Hershey bar (grated)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
2 tsp. vanilla

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet..Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.. Have Fun!!!

EVERYONE LOVES THEM!!!!

NANCY

This is one of our favorites. I found this recipe last year and everyone wanted the recipe! Very easy to make too.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beths-Spicy-Oatmeal-Raisin-Cookies/Detail.aspx

Beth's Spicy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup raisins
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, butter flavored shortening, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Stir in the oats and raisins. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake. Let them cool for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to cool completely. Store in airtight container. Make sure you get some, because they don't last long!
ETA: That sounds like so much fun, what a great idea!!

I am into very easy as I HATE to bake. I have been crowned Christmas Cookie Queen for the last few years because of this recipe...I never reveal the secret but let me tell you this is THE EASIEST and BEST cookie recipe of all time. Good Luck!

Cake Mix Cookies Recipe

This recipe is very easy to put together and takes practically no time to make. Try other flavors of cake mixes if you like. When I make them, I use 2 cups (total) of peanut butter chips and chocolate chips mixed together. Very easy to whip up at halftime!
by Linda
20 min | 10 min prep

SERVES 8

1 (18 1/4 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 cups chocolate chips or butterscotch chips or peanut butter chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Combine cake mix, oil and eggs in a bowl and mix well.
Stir in chips and nuts, if using.
Drop by teaspoons on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Upon removing from oven, let the cookies stand on sheet for two minutes, then cool on racks.

HA -- Melissa - aren't you the one who gave me the recipe for cocktail weiners in a mix of grape jelly and mustard last year -- which everyone loved?! Think that mandates adding your cake cookies to the repetoire.

Thanks ALL for the ideas. :D Some really good ones here that I will be whipping up on Sat.

Yeah, Lorrie. The weiner recipe is hilarious, huh?! It makes me think that gourmet food is a total joke when such a silly recipe makes most people happy.

:)

I am not a good baker. But at Christmas I try to be a nice mom and make cookies with my 3 dds. So I look for easy. These are from the Silver Palate cookbook. Everyone loves them!

Coconut Macaroons

1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1/8 tsp. salt
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet well.
2. Mix flour, coconut, and salt together in a bowl. Pour in condensed milk and vanilla and stir well to make a thick batter.
3. Drop batter by the quarter-cupfuls onto the well-greased cookie sheet, allowing an inch of space between cookies. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pan at once, and cool on racks.

About 1 1/2 dozen macaroons

Butterballs

8 Tbs. (1 stick) sweet butter, softened
3 Tbs. honey
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
1 cup shelled pecans, chopped moderately fine
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease one or two cookie sheets.
2. Cream butter. Beat in honey; gradually mix in flour, salt, and then vanilla. Add pecans. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
3. Form balls by hand, the size of quarters. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
4. Remove from oven; as soon as cool enough to touch, roll in confectioners' sugar. Allow to cool and roll again in sugar.

About 36 cookies

Ooh, another favorite in my family are Peanut butter blossoms! Those are always yummy!

And Snickerdoodles, we roll them in green & red sugar for the holidays.

Let me know and I can post the recipes if you want them!

Ooh, another favorite in my family are Peanut butter blossoms! Those are always yummy!

And Snickerdoodles, we roll them in green & red sugar for the holidays.

Let me know and I can post the recipes if you want them!

ME, ME, ME, Jess - I want the recipe for Peanut Butter blossoms! Pretty please....:eek:

What a great thread Lorrie! And what a great idea for a chick-baking day. My favorite part is the guys making dinner, of course!!!

My favorite part is the guys making dinner, of course!!!

shhhhh - and you want to know my very favorite part? (I'm so bad) I am a very picky eater, and often we'll go to the in-laws for dinners. DFIL always asks what I would like, but since I am SO picky, I always say it doesn't matter, but the one thing that I would like is a non-iceburg lettuce salad. DMIL (that's a thread in and of itself) insists on making iceburg salads - BLECH - and often I think just because I've asked for some nutrients. So needless to say, despite the requesting, we have never had a salad with anything other than the palest iceburg.

Since it's MY task this year, my DH is heading up the menu. You KNOW what kind of sald we'll be having (insert Cathe's wicked cackle here.) Ok - back to the cookies. Thanks ladies.

Peanut Butter Blossoms (BTW, this was my Great Grandma's recipe!)

1/2 c. butter (1 stick), softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. peanut butter (not natural, I like Jif Crunchy the best)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Hershey's kisses (or try the mini Reese's cups for extra PB flavor!)

In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, & salt. In another bowl, cream the butter & sugars. Add in the peanut butter, egg, & vanilla and mix. Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until blended.

Shape into balls & roll in sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or just until done. Immediately press Hershey's kiss in center. Let cool on wire racks.

I usually double the recipe because these are a family favorite! :D

Oh, and another family favorite! Super easy too, no baking!

Oatmeal Chocolate Coconut drops

1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
1/2 c. milk
2 c. sugar
Heat butter, milk, & sugar to boil in saucepan, stirring constantly.

In a large bowl, mix together.
3 c. oatmeal (old fashioned or quick oats, whatever you prefer)
6 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 c. shredded coconut
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Pour the boiling mixture on top of the dry ingredients and mix well.

Drop by spoonfuls on waxed paper.

P.S. Can you see why I used to gain 10-15# each holiday???? :eek:

I can’t help by giving any recipes but I just wanted to say that it is so wonderful that your family gets together like that.

While I am here on this thread, I am going to steal a few recipes and hope I don’t gain 10 – 15 lbs. :p

I love this topic! (Hmm, perhaps why I need to workout so much, lol.)

I love this basic cookie batter recipe- I use a cookie scoop and the cookies turn out perfectly round and beautiful and taste great too. Plus, lazy me likes the fact that it is 1 cup of most ingredients- easier to measure than 3/4 C. of sugar. I put dried cherries, white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts in this for Christmas.

Basic Cookie Batter Recipe
1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter
1 C. light brown sugar
1 C. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. milk
3 C. sifted flour
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

With a mixer, cream together butter, brown sugar and sugar. Add both eggs, vanilla and milk. Mix together in another bowl the flour, salt and baking soda. Add the dry to the wet gradually. Add in the mix ins, your choice.

Using a nice round cookie scoop, put 9 on a pan and bake at 375 for 9-12 minutes.

Note: Do not chill the dough- it makes prettier cookies if baked while at room temperature.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.