Calling all 60 year old and older Cathletes

Love this thread. I too am 63 and doing the STS Series and making some spectacular gains, well atleast have nice definition in my arms! Love all Cathe's DVD and I also have alot of the VHS Tapes! LOL! Don't use them anymore but still have 'em. Keep lifting ladies!! We're looking good!

Thank you Lannette! If anyone is interested in doing a series let me know. I've been doing the STS Meso 2 & 3 and Hiit for the upper body, but open to any of them. I have quite a few of them but not all the new ones. I decided I had so many I had to limit the buying!

Thank you for the offer but I’m actually already committed to a plan. I took Cathe’s old Weight Loss Rotation and turned it into a template. (I liked the variety it used but wanted more flexibility to pick and choose which of her DVDs I do.) I’m not expecting weight loss but am interested in holding onto using decent weights while getting a bit more cardio.

Hi. I am 63 and have been doing Cathe since the 90's. I started with her step workouts on VHS, but now my favorites are her ICE and LITE series. I also love her 3 HIIT workouts from the Intensity Series, but I hop on my elliptical for the high impact stuff. On other workouts I do her high impact moves on my rebounder. My knees can't take impact anymore.

Thank you for the offer but I’m actually already committed to a plan. I took Cathe’s old Weight Loss Rotation and turned it into a template. (I liked the variety it used but wanted more flexibility to pick and choose which of her DVDs I do.) I’m not expecting weight loss but am interested in holding onto using decent weights while getting a bit more cardio.

Lannette - which weight loss rotation of Cathe's did you make into a template. I have been interested in doing this so I can switch and choose which workouts I wanted, but just couldn't find a good template.

Lannette - which weight loss rotation of Cathe's did you make into a template. I have been interested in doing this so I can switch and choose which workouts I wanted, but just couldn't find a good template.
Hi Candice,
The Template I made is on my blog HERE. I listed some potential DVDs for each category - feel free to suggest others.

I’m in Week four of my first month and it’s been great for me. Almost too effective where weight loss is concerned but I don’t mind eating a little more. I’m not doing particularly long or difficult WOs either

I’ve been putting together my schedule for month 2 and discovering so many fun possibilities that choosing was actually hard. I’ve been doing all Cathe but it would be easy to sub in any WO that fits a category

Hope you find it helpful.

How nice to find this thread! I'm 58 and returning to Cathe workouts after several years of not working out. I'm in the process of deciding on a plan with the workouts I have but I'm wondering if anyone here has the metabolic workouts and how you like those; Metabolic Total Body and Metabolic Blast? I started out with The Firm workouts back in the nineties too, replaced my VHS with DVD's. Still love those oldies and I'm using those as my gateway to Cathe again.

Hi Taft, welcome to the Cathe forums. When I took a long break from fitness, I started back with Jessica Smith (she has many free YouTube workouts too). But since you're asking about Cathe workouts, the metabolic weight training workouts are both great. You can grow with them by just increasing the weights used. You get cardio and light-weight toning with these workouts. The two you're looking at are from Cathe's two Intermediate series (LITE & ICE) - both are a great place to re-start with Cathe workouts. If impact is an issue, the LITE series is low impact. Both series are versatile, pretty comprehensive, and fun. And Cathe has a "bundle sale" right now for great savings. Have fun!

I Taft. I have them both and really like them. I used them when my rotation called for Total Body Strength and I wasn’t in the mood for standard weight training. They seemed to do the trick.

Funny that you are using the Firm WOs to get back to Cathe. I’m doing the opposite, though I haven’t had an urge to pull out a Firm WO just yet.

Thanks for the suggestion's, placed an order today. I'm anxious to see a newer Cathe workout. I've done The Firm Workouts so many times I have them memorized. Whenever I've had to take a break from workouts, The Firms are still the ones I start back with because they're so familiar.

Thanks for the suggestion's, placed an order today. I'm anxious to see a newer Cathe workout. I've done The Firm Workouts so many times I have them memorized. Whenever I've had to take a break from workouts, The Firms are still the ones I start back with because they're so familiar.
You do know that you can see clips of the workouts, right?

I understand where you are coming from as far as the Firm WOs and familiarity goes. I’m coming back from injury so Cathe was a smarter ramp up considering my limitations.

Can’t wait to hear what you think once you try the workouts.

I'm 62, and I'm a devoted Cathlete from her early days. I have every DVD now, and I do have favorites. I love Cardio and Weights, that workout is my "comfort food" video. I'm also a distance runner, and when I train I run more, do Cathe less. When I'm coming back into doing Cathe regularly, I always start with the CrossTrainExpress, which tunes me right up in 4 workouts. I can't really choose what workout to do, when, so I rely on the Monthly rotations, which are always great and keep me using workouts I might not reach for.

I’m coming back to this thread to update. While I’ll always have a place in my heart for Cardio & Weights my favorite series is RWH. Xtrain is a close second. ;)

Hey, ladies! I'm Nicki, 63, and have been doing Cathe videos since the VHS days. I have all of her DVDs except the cycle ones. I love Cathe's wide range of workouts as I like to change it up.
This week I started a rotation of Fit Tower, Strong & Sweaty and Ripped with HiiT. Before that, an XTrain one month rotation and before that my 3rd STS Rotation.
Love the possibilities and choices with Cathe. Looking for to Perfect 30.

Thanks for your reply Jane. I agree with what you wrote on Fitness and age.

I probably own 75% of Cathe’s DVDs. I started back in her VHS days and repurchased the DVD versions of the Tapes where available. Back in those days there were no rotations other than the 90 Day Firm Rotation. I’ll be 65 next month.

I was super advanced at one point but now am an odd mix of intermediate in some things, advanced in others as I come back from a pretty serious non-fitness related neck injury. I’m working on evening it out.

My one rule for my neck is no straining so I’m currently limited to a max 35 pound Barbell and strangely 7 pound DBs for triceps but 12-20 pounds for everything else. Oh well, it was initially 1 pound for triceps. :oops:

I only own 4 of the Xtrain DVDs. Have you done that rotation before?

If any other 60+ Cathletes want to answer my original question please feel free. I’m honestly looking only for your favorite Cathe Workout, Series and/or Rotation.

Editing to say that I’m happy to read anything additional you want to share - it’s all good - but if you only want to post the basics that’s ok too.
sometimes i like to use loop band to train triceps and you can get a really good burn ( can you look at how Cathe uses it in her band workout ? )

I honestly have to say it depends on my mood which is my favorite.
I have kept a written record of the chapters in the different DVDs so I can pick by reading .
Whenever it's one I haven't done in awhile , I usually feel so pumped after I wonder why I haven't been using that particular workout again.

This week probably PHA2 and Rev'd up Rumble were my favorite.(from LITE series)

I more frequently pick from Xtrain, Ripped with HIIT, LITE , or ICE. Low Impact Lower body.
( I just turned 70 and have been exercising regularly since I was 37). I have had to modify some moves
for my joints and sometimes I do hit pause because I may do some of leg exercises slower but steady) LOL

I keep a calendar on my wall and write what I have done , so my rotation is not preplanned but still make sure to get rest, cardio, and strength training. I usually finish with my own 10-15 minute yoga type stretch learned from Rodney Yee am yoga from the 1990s.

sometimes i like to use loop band to train triceps and you can get a really good burn ( can you look at how Cathe uses it in her band workout ? )
I just saw this suggestion. Thank you! My lagging triceps strength due to a recovering injury.

I’m happy to report that since I posted that I’ve continued to be consistent and am now able to use 10- 20 pound dumbbells for my triceps, depending the exercise! 20 pounds is my largest set.

I’m still weaker on my left triceps but continue to work on it

I love using bands to burn out my muscles or for a change of pace.

I honestly have to say it depends on my mood which is my favorite.
I have kept a written record of the chapters in the different DVDs so I can pick by reading .
Whenever it's one I haven't done in awhile , I usually feel so pumped after I wonder why I haven't been using that particular workout again.

This week probably PHA2 and Rev'd up Rumble were my favorite.(from LITE series)

I more frequently pick from Xtrain, Ripped with HIIT, LITE , or ICE. Low Impact Lower body.
( I just turned 70 and have been exercising regularly since I was 37). I have had to modify some moves
for my joints and sometimes I do hit pause because I may do some of leg exercises slower but steady) LOL

I keep a calendar on my wall and write what I have done , so my rotation is not preplanned but still make sure to get rest, cardio, and strength training. I usually finish with my own 10-15 minute yoga type stretch learned from Rodney Yee am yoga from the 1990s.
Thank you for sharing! I’m on my third month of using a template I created from an old Cathe rotation. I Choose and fill in the workouts for the month before the month begins. I do Kundalini Yoga daily as a pre-warm-up or on rest days active recovery. (We have a lot in common.)
My workouts for last month are HERE.

I’ve really enjoyed the consistency along with the variety. It’s really getting me back to my previous fitness level and beyond.

Did you create your written list of chapters for each DVD? I should at least make some notes. I’ve been doing the workouts full out but need to explore the premixes.

I’m 65 now but looking forward to working out to age 70 and beyond! Thanks for the inspiration.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.