Busy mommies and their growing babes 5/16-5/22

Hi ladies! You must be as busy as I have been today. So in order: early morning nookie :p, STS upper body :D, grocery store, Target, cleaned/organized pantry, potted basil and parsley, vaccumed/mopped floors, made summer pasta salad and sat down to say hello!

Melanie- I plan on signing up for more 5K's. I used to run at least one a month about 2 or 3 years ago. I would like to start doing them again. I love the energy and commaraderie.

Susan- I saw you posted on the other thread but I forgot what you said. :( I hope you got a lot of packing done!

DH is going to rent a sod cutter tomorrow and start leveling the back yard to get ready for our above ground pool. I am so stinkin excited! It will be nice to take James out in the pool in the afternoon.

HI all! Missed you ladies! I'll check back later....I'm off to relax on the couch doing absolutely nothing while J is napping for a bit and before DH gets home from work. Ahhh, quiet...

Wow, I'm shocked as well at the lack of activity! Busy day for everyone

Jen-I did some of the same things...but not nearly as much as you :). Went to Target, made a salad, mopped floors. Now that it's warming up and we're doing more grilling, I"m on the lookout for salads, so send some my way if you have any good ones that are easy to prepare don't require "weird" ingredients :)

I'm sick. Again. My ears feel like someone is pushing in on them and my neck is super stiff. Hope I either feel great in the morning or that I feel bad enough to call in sick to work. I have a 10-11 hr day on tap for tomorrow.yuck.

I took Reese for pictures today. She wasn't overly happy, but we got a few with smiles. If you're bored and want to check them out, I posted a note on my facebook with the login info. All for now. Heading to bed early

I'm glad today's thread is short so far, as it gave me time to catch up on the rest of last week's :)

Melanie, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. The whole situation is devastating. I'm also sorry to hear of Jory's troubles; hopefully, this will be all he needs to "straighten up." I'll have to check out his prom pics (we have Facebook blocked after 11PM on Sundays, so my stepdaughters can't stay on all night LOL).

Jen, woo hoo on the 5K! That's awesome, girl! Sounds like you had a VERY productive Sunday. I can't believe James is 6 months already! I picked up a big jar of almond butter at Costco a couple weeks ago. So far, I just use it like peanut butter (which is not very creative, is it?).

Lisa, good for you for the "commitment." As we've been finishing up some things, I have stopped replacing them. And I threw a bunch of snack foods out last week. I hope it's getting easier for you!

Susan, when exactly are you moving? Sweet of DH to make sure you have the opportunity to realize your own dream. With all your packing, I'm so impressed you're making time to workout regularly. I get so focused on the packing/cleaning that it's all I can think about.

Priscilla, good for you for reporting that individual. I'm surprised the company would keep her, as I would think she'd be a liability. Glad to hear Daniel likes his Bjorn. Drew liked his too, but (a long time ago!) he got too heavy for me to use it comfortably LOL

Christine, how did Jimmy do with the bratty cousin? Glad you got some one on one time with John; that must have been nice. I think I would like the break for a few days, but the nights would be hard for me. Ella and I have our bedtime routine, and my night would be strange without it. Too funny about the 80s clothes! So you give John onions and garlic? I've been hesitant to do that, thinking it might be too harsh on Drew. Guess I won't know until I try, right? You've given me the courage to try it!

Hello to everyone else! DH wants to "go to bed" now (wink wink), so I guess I'll have to pose my questions to you all tomorrow.

Have a great night!!

Good morning all! Nice to see you Allison and Lisa! I thought I was all alone here or on the wrong thread. ;)

Allison- Hope you and DH had some nice "quiet time". Mine won't leave me alone lately. I keep telling him to "knock it off" or James will have a sister or brother. :p

Lisa- I made a summer pasta salad last night. Nothing weird, just veggies and used the Bolthouse Farms Ranch dressing (made with yogurt). It was real nice and light and the flavor of the veggies came through, not the dressing.

Ok well I hope to check back later and the thread be hoppin!!! :D

I am here! Busy weekend with the troops home, and a lot of laundry that came with them. DH has been in a bad mood, so i kind of tip toe around him lately. I will post a ton of salads. I make my own dressing all the time and it is so easy and good.
Jen- I dreamt about your new pool Great job on the race!
Allison- I totally give john everythign. He LOVES guacamole from teh taqueria. We have no food allergies, so that is why I am more lenient. He eats anything. I also did this with Jimmy, lots of onions, garlic, curry, etc. I think it is partly why he is such an adventerous eater.
Priscilla- Hope work is less dramatic this week!
Melanie- Hop eyou are hanging in there. I thought of you last night when DH took Jimmy's hair down to a 1. I was so mad. The kid is so blond, and now he looks bald. Grr. DH felt SO bad.
Lisa- You are so busy! Hope you are feeling better and can have a sick day at home with no kids so you can rest.
Susan- Pack lady! :)
BBL, no run today. STILL SORE from saturday. THe run went great. I had a PR, but am exhausted. The long runs beat me up. We are running the Horseshoe Lake 1/2 marathon next weekend, so the IL are coming. We are running the race on our anniversary. I think on Friday, DH and I will go out to dinner together to celebrate. I am not sure I know how to talk about anything except babies, toddlers and working out. Maybe I will read the paper and find out what is going on the world!

Jen, I had the same problem in 2008. DH was adamant he didn't want more kids, but he just wouldn't leave me alone -- and BAM! here's Andrew!! LOL

I'm starting to give serious thought to what I want to do when I return to work. But I don't know what I want to be when I grow up this time! I feel so overwhelmed as I think about this. On one hand, I want to be home when the kids are home from school. On the other hand, we need to make up for "money lost" while I've been home with the kids. I feel badly that I can't stay home with Drew until he starts kindergarten, but my itch to have an income again is really strengthening.

I'm thinking about grad school, but that is overwhelming to me too. Sigh.

I'm just tired of not having any money. We have a hefty child support obligation, but we still end up paying for most of their necessities (clothes, shoes, braces, haircuts, etc) and extracurriculars (sports, sports camps, art classes, etc). I've been in a funk the past two months, as my resentment about the money (and the way the child support is treated like spending money for dinners out and take out, acrylic nails, and partying/drinking) has been mounting. I think that's why I've been so quiet, just reflecting I guess.

Have to do "homework" with Ella before putting Drew down (then it's workout time! Although, truthfully, I'm so tired I just want to nap LOL).

Christine, we don't have allergies either (thankfully). Drew likes avocados, but I haven't tried guacamole yet. Sorry to hear DH is moody. Mine has been feeling sick for weeks now, and it's getting old for him (and for me, since I keep getting all overnight duty so that he can sleep). I know you are excited for your 1/2 marathon next weekend! As for the Rykas, I ordered 2 more pairs of them (all of them the Assist model). Strangely, the second pair of size 9s fits (the first did not), so I'm trying the 9s and 9.5s for a few workouts each.

Lisa, hope you're feeling better today. Were you the one who asked about quinoa? I have never tried it but bought a HUGE bag at Costco the other week. Found a few recipes I want to try. The quinoa and corn salad with pumpkin seeds sounds awesome to me!
Greek Style Quinoa Burgers: http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/greek-style-quinoa-burgers-recipe
Quinoa Salad: http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/quinoa-and-corn-salad-with-pumpkin-seeds?backto=true
Quinoa Spinach Bake (said it's a nice alternative to frittata or quiche): http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/quinoa-spinach-bake?backto=true
Quinoa Muffins: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/quinoa-muffins?backto=true

Saturday was our 6 year wedding anniversary (our 10 year meeting anniversary was 5/5). We ended up having a fight that night, so that was nice and romantic. Marriage is a lot more work than I ever imagined!!

Jen, did the pediatrician say you can rinsed canned beans, or did s/he say to make your own? I want to give beans a try with Drew. I'm making him the lentil recipe from Top 100 Baby Purees today or tomorrow, too.

Last edited:
Hey! Glad to see you all are around!!! Hee hee...

Allison- The ped didn't say what to do with the beans but mentioned that he gave his own daughter black beans from Chilis. I rinse all my canned bean really good so I will probably just do that when feeding them to James. Bummer that you guys fought on your anniversary. What is wrong with your DH (sickness wise)?? I saw you mentioned he was in the ER. I wish I could give you some advice about the child support/income thoughts you are having. I too have been thinking about going back to school but not sure what I want to do. I am in the social work field and don't make squat; I enjoy the work but I have always had a hankering towards exercise/nutrition.

Christine- DH has the grass ripped up and is leveling the ground as we speak!! I hope he gets the pool up today. Probably won't be filled though. I love how we think/dream about each other. We are so intertwined on here. :D Why is DH in a bad mood?? He's home with his family. That's cool that you will be running together on your anniversary. DH likes to run on TM but he won't run a race with me. ??? Don't know why.

I talked to one of my co-workers (and one of the girls that ran on Saturday) and we are going to do "fun run" on July4th. It will be hot and humid but at least its at 730a. It will give me something to look forward to. I guess I need to really get jumpin on these longer Insanitys to see if they help increase my speed.

Jen- Here is a great site for finding fun runs: www.active.com. Have you ever done a muddy buddy run? You get so dirty and run adn crawl through mud pits sort of relay style. Lots of fun. DH is running this one with me, but I can tell that he is anxious. He is so moody. We have been arguing a lot. Hard to describe, but he really resents having kid duty the three hours I run on Saturday. He complains that he does not get enough time with me, I kind of look at him incredulous. Huh? I do ALL night duty, I stay howm with both kids, cook, clean, stay healthy, etc. He feels left out. I keep telling him to just wait till the baby gets more predictable. We went through theis with Jimmy too. I get held by children all day and night, I just want to take a shower without a four year old or some hot wheels cars and maybe shave both legs. He sort of sabotaged mothers day too. IT was awful. We destroy important holidays! Oh well. He will see the light some time soon I hope.
Allison- What kind of jobs have you had? What are you good at/ I love figuring stuff like that out! I can not imagine how hard it must be to have to give money to the ex knowing she is not using it for the kids. What ever happened with the 17 year old living with you?

Jen, I think he has allergies. Annoying? Yes. But come on!! Nope, he wasn't in the ER. He's not a big fan of doctors. He's an ice hockey player -- in high school he played with 2 broken ribs instead of going to the doctor.

Drew napped for 10 minutes, after being up last night at 1:15 and 3:45, with a morning wakeup of 6:45. Stupid fire truck siren and trash truck backing up. I'm in such a foul mood now.

same here. John fought me tooth and nail to go down for nap, slept 15 minutes. Grrr.
As for the beans, just rinse the canned ones, that is what I do. I buy the white bean and sweet potato puree and he likes that a lot. I also smush up black beans with avocado, loves that, but the poop will be huge!

Allison- What kind of jobs have you had? What are you good at/ I love figuring stuff like that out! I can not imagine how hard it must be to have to give money to the ex knowing she is not using it for the kids. What ever happened with the 17 year old living with you?

I'm good at laundry and making grilled cheese sandwiches LOL

My background is marketing and business development for architecture and engineering firms. I am better with verbal and written communication than with math and science. I had considered a degree in nutrition because of my personal interest in it, but don't know if I'd be able to keep up with all the science mumbo jumbo. I have a BA, so nutrition might be out anyway -- I would think you'd need a BS to pursue nutrition as a secondary degree. I'm guessing an MBA is the way to go, but have no specific goal/career/future in mind. Prior to this idea being tossed at me, I had thought about getting some sort of teaching certification. Clearly, I'm all over the place. Would love your help LOL!

As for stepdaughter, nothing ever came of it. I've learned over the years to not react until something becomes "real." This was a surprising "wish" though, because last summer I was threatened with an emotional abuse lawsuit and regularly vilified by the kids. *insert eye roll here*

DHs can be so frustrating. We've been going through something similar here. You summed it up very well, better than I have been able to. I'm tired of people needing something from me all the time -- of being hanged on, puked on, woken up, etc. Aren't we lucky that our kids are actually happy kids? I can't imagine how exhausting this is when the babies and kids are unhappy all the time!

Last edited:
Allison- My DH has allergies too and always complains. Says he can't work out cause he feels like crap. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry that both of your DH's give you heck! That's just not fair to either one of you! DH and I went through some rough stuff in the beginning after J was born but I think it is because we were changing roles. I feel like we have found a good groove now.

Christine- How does he feel left out? He gets to spend three hours with his kids while you run!! Some men don't even do that!

Busy moms boy is that a fitting title. We have Kindergarten graduation tonight.
I'm baking a cake and getting ready for grandparents. Just wanted to drop in and say hi to everyone. Hope everyone is doing well. :)

Hi Kendra! Have fun at the graduation! How fun!

Well today dragged by at work. No workout tonight cause my back is still sore from weights/run this weekend.

Off to eat leftover pork tenderloin and pasta salad for dinner. DH has to work overtime tonight so he is sleeping now and J is content in the jumparoo. For once, I am bored and you ladies are nowhere to be found. ;)

Ha ha ! That is how it always is for me. ON the days when you are all chatty, the kids are a wreck! and then on days when three hour naps occur, no posts, then I post like crazy and feel like a crazy woman talking to myself.
Talked to DH, he apologized for taking things out on me. Ht crying kids in the background helped. He gets in a funk every year around this time. Must be the moon. ANyhow, we are good, and I think he had a huge come to Jesus on his lack of comprehension on how I run a house. So I made a list, just to let him know. Not to be a brat, but just to say that there are 100s of things that he does not know get done and maybe many that he does, but he never says thank you. So when he criticizes me, I take it heavy. He was really critical after his trip. I think he was hungover. I think he also had a hard time travelling with Jimmy (who is so EASY to travel with, remember I commuted up here and back all during the time we were apart). ANyhow, we are good now. Rainy here today, had plans to go to costco to get gatorade, but did legos and stickers instead and then we climbed in bed for family nap. I watched a movie on my ipod while they slept. It was wonderful. Getting ready to make a huge salad for dinner with easy balsamic.
4 TBSP olive oil
8 TBSP (or more to taste, I like more) balsamic vingear
1 TBSP digon mustard
1/2 tsp italiean seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
whisk together and serve.
Headed to the east bay again tomorrow to see my old childhood friend. I am takign some cathe dvds to get her started on working out. Travel Fit and Pyramid Hiit
Squeeze Stronger (Tracey Effinger)
Chalean Extreme Abs
ANd I am teaching her how to make my chicken enchiladas, so easy and yummy. Here is the recipe, to lighten it, use egg beaters instead of egg, milk instead of cream, and add black beans to filling. This one comes from my head, so not a very technical explanation on how to prepare...

Guarantee it is a hit:

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
Filling:
Water
½ tsp each of Salt and pepper
2 Bay Leaves
2 chicken breasts (about one pound)
1 ½ cups Mexican grated cheese
½ cup chopped onion
Sauce:
1 small can mild red enchilada sauce
¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
½ teaspoon garlic pepper
2 cloves garlic
¼ cup cream
1 egg
1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chilies undrained
Remaining ingredients:
Corn tortillas
2/3 cup lowfat sour cream
1. Place water, salt and pepper, bay leaf, chicken in a dutch oven and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook 45 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken from dutch oven, shred with two forks. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine chicken, chopped onion, cheese in a bowl and set aside.
3. Place cream, enchilada sauce, garlic pepper, garlic, chiles, and cilantro in a food processor, process until smooth.
4. Dip tortilla in sauce to coat, fill with chicken mixture, roll up, and place in a baking dish, seam down. Repeat until done.
5. Pour remaining sauce and chicken mixture over the enchiladas. Bake 25 minutes. Cool slightly and serve with sour cream.

Melanie- Great pictures of Jory from prom. How is the family in town?
Allison- I think to get a nutrition degree you need a BS, but some schools will let you just take the missing prerequisites. I LOVE science, have a degree in biochemistry and you might really enjoy it. You should see how you like chemistry... Do you want to work from home/ Do you need benefits or can you use DHs? Part time or full time?
Jen- Glad you are takign it easy. Me too today. I love when you are too tired to work out you know. It feels good to know that your body is so strong and enjoying the rest, I swear I am stronger the next day!
Priscilla- How are the running shoes? How is Daniel?
Lisa- Feeling any better?
Kendra- Glad to see you back, hope that graduation went well. :)
Susan- Packing? Are you packing weights last? Last year when our old house almost burned down, my DH got so mad when he got home to see what I had packed in teh car to evacuate. I had packed my step, all my weights, and workout DVDs, nothing for him. Oops.

Christine- I love your posts, you always make me laugh. You packed your step and weights??? You are so cute! I'm glad that you and DH talked. Sometimes that is all it takes, some honest communication. Must be nice to be hungover. (Not really but just the thought of being irresponsible for a few minutes sounds so nice) ;) So, are you calling me a crazy lady??? :p LOL

Well, pool is up and filling. I was the helper and we put it up in less that 2 hours. Hopefully I can come home tomorrow, do a wild crazy Insanity and then jump in the pool to cool off! Yahoo! And then have a cold beer while floating. ;) I love the simple things.

Okay off to bed. Miss you all!

Allison-thanks for posting the quinoa recipes. Now I just need to find a little time to make something :). How is it that you guys end up with large child support payments AND so many of the other expenses? What expenses does the mom have to cover? I hope you can figure out something with the career thing. I struggle with the same thing. I have a BS in Business, with all my experience in HR and have my PHR certification, but my heart isn't in it. I want to do something having to do with health....I've toyed with going back for dietetics, but I hate science, which is why I didn't pursue it 10 years ago!

Jen-you'll be a crazy runner like Melanie and Christine before you know it! I say that with love :) It's funny you mentioned being bored tonight. I was just asking DH last night if there would ever again be a time I was bored! WIth the two little ones and my job, there's never enough time in the day.

Christine-I think we should do a DNA test on our DHs to see if they are related. The whole "poor me" thing is completely my DH. I've heard plenty of times that he doesn't think I give him enough attention. I've told him plenty of times that the way to my heart and the way for him to get more time with me is to HELP AROUND THE HOUSE! As you said, we do do many things that our DHs don't even realize. Oh, thanks for that dressing..looks simple and tasty!

Melanie-how was work? I've been thinking about you and saying a prayer for you, your dad, and the rest of your family.

We're having a few couples and their kids over for a grillout on Saturday. Any ideas for a side dish I could make that kids might like? The kids are 18-20months.

Made it through a nearly 11hr workday. Off to bed early to try to sleep off this cold a bit.

Lisa- Don't get me wrong, I really wasn't bored but I was in the mood to do anything with my free time except complain. :D Because when DH asked me to help with the pool, I didn't even want to do that. :p I took your "crazy runner" comment with love, don't worry. I don't know about all the miles they run but I can stick with 5Ks. I think men are just as bad as children with the "attention" line. Bah!

Hi Mel, Christine, Priscilla, Susan, Kendra, Allison and everyone else! BBL!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.