Burning NUTRITION QUESTION....

naughtoj

Cathlete
I have tried to research this, but really to no avail. Since this big Lo-Carb craze began, I have been enjoying reading the labels of these new products. Interestingly, I have found some products superior nutritionally to their carb-loaded counterpart. One such product is Mission fajita size tortillas. The tortillas themselves don't seem to have less calories overall....maybe more....but what they do have, in huge amounts, is FIBER. We are talking for the whole wheat 9 grams PER little tortilla, and for the regular, 11 grams (go figure)!!!! Wowza!! When I eat my lunch now, with my beans and chili, I am getting 30+ grams of fiber in ONE MEAL. I am loving it!!:)

But..... I am curious. I notice that almost all lo-carb products have had fiber added. It must be a filler of some kind. I think they add cellulose? Since your body cannot digest it, those calories don't count? I would be interested if anyone knew WHY they added this and also confirmation that it is not a typo. I don't think so, but just to be sure... Even the new lo-carb Hersheys chocolate has fiber!! Have you seen it??

Also...what's the opinion on soy milk vs. skim milk. I got that new "eight..." something kind, and my hubby loves it! I noticed it has some sort of oil in it, but that its nutritional profile is simialar, if not better, than milk. Soy drinkers do tell... I don't get how it can have so little sugar, but be so sweet....

Janice

Bumping. I want an answer too. How does cellulose react in the body long term. Somehow I can't believe that it "passes through" without affecting anything and it doesn't seem like a "flax seed" type of fiber. Kind of like the Supra stuff that tastes sweet, but just goes right through SAFELY? (and I've been getting too much of this I'm sure). Does it bypass the liver etc.????? Comon there's got to be dietician or someone out there who knows more about this stuff...websites?

Briee

Boy, I sure stumped everyone!:) I really don't know if it is cellulose, I think it is, because I know that is indigestible fiber. I want to know what is and why it is added because we know it is not naturally occuring in a candy bar (Hershey's lo-carb) or in plain white tortillas.

Like Briee, I thought a RD would get on here and clue us it....anyone? Anyone have comments regarding these products?

Janice

Just a semi-educated comment, but I think you're right that this fiber does not just pass through. I've been hearing lots of news reports about how what is considered "carbohydrate" or "low-carb" is not regulated at all. Have you noticed the number of products that talk about "net carbs"? That means there are other carbs in there, but they are for some reason (marketing really) considering some of these as not counting towards the total carbohydrate count. I suspect they add fiber in so they can subtract the carbs that make up fiber from the total number - these are still real carbs, but the company has come up with a way to justify not counting them.

Yeah, the "net carbs" stuff is nothing more than a marketing tactic to jump on to the "no=carb/low-carb" bandwagon. Manufacturers don't count fiber (which is justifiable, as it is not absorbed, and actually prevents you from absorbing all the fats in food...but I'd go for foods that have natural fiber in them rather than foods that have some fiber--cellulose comes from trees!--added to them). They also don't count a certain category of sweeteners called "sugar alcohols" or something like that, because they don't cause a spike in blood glucose. These are all the sweeteners with "-ol" at the end, like malatol, as well as some other odd-sounding (very chemical sounding) sweeteners. But these are often also sweeteners that can cause stomach upset, diarrea (sp? there's an "h"in there somewhere, but thankfully, it's not a word I usually write out!) and other digestive disturbances. Does that sound like something we should be eating? Give me (natural, fiber-rich) carbs any day!

I am loath admit it, because I am so "anti-low-carb," (I sometimes want to eat mass quantities of carbs to show my disdain for the craze...but not refined carbs, which I agree we should reduce or eliminate) but some of the "low carb" foods aren't that bad (with the exception of bread). But those are the ones I buy in spite of the "low carb" label because they are made from natural ingredients, like some tortilla shells I bought that contain soy.

Thanks guys! You both are really knowlegeable!!

I don't know, but if they are gonna "low carb" something, I consider it a bonus that they are adding fiber and NOT fat. Although I don't seem to get any "digestion" problems with eating that much fiber in one meal (if you know what I mean). With that much at one sitting, you would expect it. Maybe the fact that it is unnaturally occurring fiber changes how your body processes it? Doesn't seem like your body would know the difference, but...

Hmmmmmm............

I really hoped an RD would get on here and explain the hooey, but oh well....Thanks!

Janice

There is as yet no consistency with the labelling or definitions for lo-carb or net carb on food products because the definitions have not yet been defined by the FDA and labelling of food products for net carbs etc is not yet regulated. This means diffrent companies have different definitions and standards for lo-carb and net carb. Many companies are subtracting the caloric content of some types of carbs such as sugar alcohols, indigestable carbs etc and calling the remainder of carb calories as net carb. I have heard that labelling of carbs will be subjected to regulation next year and then we can expect consistency for carb labelling throughout the food industry.

I'm not answering anyone's question here, but just making a general remark regarding the low-carb fad. In my humble opinion, it is such a bunch of unsustainable silliness.

I know most people here are tired of hearing about what my nutritionist says, but here I go again....

I've been on a mostly clean low GI diet now for over a year and it is just great. Highly nutritious and easy to sustain, except that I tend to be very lax at restaurants. In a way, it's just common sense. Basically, simple sugars are out, and complex carbohydrates are in. The most remarkable thing about it is the elimination of cravings. I've learned that simple sugars are addictive, and, amazingly, if I don't eat any, I never crave any. The end result is I never feel like I'm missing anything. (And I can't get over how many people keep telling me how well I look!)

To me, diets that have you eating nothing but protein and fat fly in the face of common sense, are unbalanced, and eliminate so many of the great whole grain products that are so healthy and delicious.

Okay, I'm climbing back off my soapbox again....

An RD here...
...I am not familiar with the products you mentioned. I do buy whole wheat flour tortillas that have 5 gms fiber each.

30 grams of fiber at one stiing is a lot, regardless of the source.
But if you are really getting that much and tolerate it, my hat is off to you.

Cellulose is a plant fiber that has been traditionally added to many reduced-fat/fat-free products as a fat replacer (in salad dressings, etc.). It provides a texture and "mouth-feel" similar to fat--in some opinions--and is very widely used. Similarly, it can be used as a bulking agent in low-carb foods.

Though I don't know if it's added to your tortillas, it could be, as a means of retaining desireable texture if some of the flours are removed to reduce the total carbohydrate content. 100% whole wheat flour is easily--and purposely--used to make tortillas that are high in fiber. But, this may not be enough for those in search of the ever-lower carb content. In that case, using cellulose would help to achieve better numbers on the label, and the added fiber would merely be a bonus. I don't really see the need for a tortilla with 11 grams of fiber; a varied diet including whole grains, fruits and vegetables should provide enough fiber during the course of a day.
But again, whatever works...

As an insoluble fiber, cellulose is not considered a "net carb".
But you wouldn't include it in a discussion of whether calories "count" or not. For the purposes of such discussions, if a substance cannot be digested, it yields no energy, and therefore contains no calories.

You are right in pointing out, and I think we have all noticed, the low fiber content of lots of low-carb foods.
I'm not sure how this has helped to improve diets and health. Americans weren't getting much fiber from the refined grain products they typically used, anyway....

Choosing whole grain products and eating more fruits and vegetables really has remained the best way to ensure most diets are balanced and rich in fiber and beneficial nutrients. It's also one of the best ways to eat food that actually tastes good.

Hope this helps.

Michele

Nancy, Is there room up on your soapbox for me? :+

What really annoys me about the low carb craze (besides having to hear the term over and over, and seeing signs everywhere with "low carb" on them--even in the produce aisle of my local grocery store, and people not wanting to eat healthful whole grain foods because they're "watching their carbs", and the simplistic nature of a "avoid X ingredient to lose weight" mentality that we also saw with the "fat free" crabe, and the scores of animals who are being slaughtered because people are eating more meat, and fake foods and ingredients being considered as "better" than whole foods that have "carbs" in them...o.k.,so lots of things bug me about it!) is that people lump all sorts of carbs together. About the only thing I agree with "low-carbers" about is that we should reduce or eliminate refined carbs like white sugar and white flour and other processed foods in general. I'm determined to get in the best shape of my life (and I'm getting there!) without avoiding carbs and see what people say about that! Hand me a (whole grain) bagel and pass a piece of fruit!}(

Kathryn...
AMEN, AMEN, AMEN !!
I couldnt have said it better myself. I would only add that I have talked to many people who really havent even read the whole diet, just picked up bits and pieces of information about it, "because a friend is doing it" and using that limited knowledge to base their whole diet on. To me that is very scary. I actually talked to someone that informed me she could drink all the beer she wanted because it is low carb, but she couldnt have broccoli with her lunch !! Can you imagine LOL.
The only thing to be thankful for is that this too shall pass, just like the low fat craze--hopefully very soon !!

Jayne

Nancy...

I am not on any low carb regimen....I hate them too!! I just really was wondering about the nutrition side of these tortillas and this whole "adding fiber to replace lost carbs" stuff.....I think you are on the right track. I think you and Briee are smart in how you eat. I just could never give up my watermelon. Sorry. But I have been recently been thinking of giving up coffee because I no longer feel I need it. I seem to have all the energy I need without it. And the food I eat that is bad I eat because I simply WANT it (because it tastes good) as opposed to CRAVE it. I actually never really have cravings. I just have HUNGER.:) So, I think the way I eat is pretty decent as well. Everybody has their thing. I did read Briee's post about her 60 grams of carbs and did think that I would die, but hats off to her if she has all the energy she needs (and apparantly she does)!!

As always, thanks for the input!

Janice

Michele,

Thank you for your professional opinion on this. I kinda knew what you were going to say. Usually, I opt for the whole wheat low carb which seems to be the best of both worlds at 9 grams fiber. I do just think it is neat to get a little extra fiber, since Lord knows I get enough carbs throughout the rest of my day.

I noticed that this discussion turned into a debate concerning the low carb craze. That was not my intention and it doesn't at all bother me that you all are talking about it, I just wanted to make perfectly clear that I AM NOT a "low carber".:) Pretty much, I agree with all your comments. But.....as Michele mentioned, Americans already eat so bad that adding a little fiber to their already refined diets is not so bad....

Janice

Michelle...thanks for your info!!!

I have never read the atkins diet and in my mind lo carbing to me means eating all the veggies you can possibly eat and I've increased my protein lately, usually in the form of various protein powders and some fish, and cutting out the junk, like sugars, white anything - crackers, pastas, chips, flours, and eating whole grain breads when I do eat bread. So I guess I don't have this aversion to the whole lo carb fad because it obviously means something different to me than to Mr. Atkins. I am so thankful that I have a few foods to choose from now when I do want to eat something sweet, which is rare, that don't send me flying into spacey and drastic mood swings. Janice.....I always have a cheat day every so often like yesterday when I need to catch up a few extra carbs. I have noticed that in the P90X, I need to get a few more carbs, but VERY evenly spaced throughout the day and always preceded by a salad. For some reason this seems to help me handle the carb effect. Nancy...what are the best books to read regarding the GI effect of various foods....I'm sure this would help me. I ate fruit salad the other day and was completely out of it all day...wayyyy too much sugar for my system to handle. Veggies are by far the best.

Briee

Hi Briee!

I don't have any books to recommend. I just visited a nutritionist and she gave me an eating plan that was tailored to me. I have a folder full of articles and info that she gave me, but no book recommendations. I recommend seeing a nutritionist (I think a dietician is the same thing). I only needed to go once and it wasn't expensive considering the price of buying books.

There are many websites that discuss low GI eating. One is http://www.glycemicindex.com/. It has a good database of all foods, but I can't vouch for its accuracy because I don't use it. I have my own list from my nutritionist that I stick to.

Every food gets a rating between 0 and 100. The closer to 100, the worse it is.

White sugar and honey have GI ratings of 100. I was told to eat lots of soybeans, lentils, kidney beans, chick peas, lima beans, baked beans and peas. White bread, white rice and white potatoes are "bad" for lack of a better word. Whole wheat pasta is better than white pasta, and sweet potatoes are great. Apples and oranges are great and bananas and raisins are bad. Most cereals, like cornflakes and shredded wheat, are bad, but oatmeal and certain Kashi cereals are great. And get this: milk, ice cream and yogurt are all fine. It took a week or two to adjust, and it's been easy ever since!

Hope this helps.

-Nancy

Indigestible parts of food do not deliver calories so added fiber will not increase the calorie content of a food. Cellulose is an insoluble fiber, i.e., it doesn't desolve in water. It comes from grain products like wheat. Soluble fiber comes from fruits, vegetables, beans, peas and oats and takes the form of pectins, gums, etc. Soluble fiber is the type that reduces cholesterol levels. It's important to note that for 1 gram of stored carbohydrate, the body stores almost three grams of water which is why low carb diets produce large weight reductions very quickly without necessarily lowering caloric intake. By eating more fat and protein while consuming the same amount of calories, your body sheds water which can't be stored without carbohydrate. When a diet makes the claim you can lose ten pounds in one week, unless you have reduced your caloric intake by 35,000 calories, or 5000 calories per day, you are actually shedding stored water. Many low carb products add fat, including sat fat, to make up for the lack of carbohydrate.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

I seem to recall that sometimes, cellulose comes from very finely ground sawdust. "Wood flour", if you like! There doesn't seem to be any harm in eating sawdust, and it is indigestible fiber for sure. Do you remember this being true, any of you educated individuals??

>I seem to recall that sometimes, cellulose comes from very
>finely ground sawdust. "Wood flour", if you like! There
>doesn't seem to be any harm in eating sawdust, and it is
>indigestible fiber for sure. Do you remember this being true,
>any of you educated individuals??

Cellulose is plant fiber, in general, but I do remember back when some bread started adding more fiber (back in the 80's?) it came out that the cellulose they used was basically sawdust.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.