Brazilian Keratin Hair Treatment Done!

SuzMax

Cathlete
So as not to get that "other" hair thread going again, I'll start a new one. :)

I got the Brazilian Keratin Hair Treatment done yesterday and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I have fought my hair for so many years and now I am basking in the glory of straight hair. My hair was pretty damaged for some reason. I never dry it or straighten it (except for my bangs). He danced around and used all of these big words when I finally said, "Because I'm getting older?" He said, "Well, yes." Bless his adorable heart. I've also been on 200mg of Topamax daily for migraines for about 2 years now and maybe that has something to do with it? Anyway, he said this will really help it and that women who haven't been able to grow their hair out as long as mine can finally grow it b/c they stop having all the breakage (notice the breakage around the top - like I stuck my finger in a light socket). He said about 2 more times of this one - it lasts 4-5 months - and I can move onto a more permanent one if I choose. I'm thinking YES! I've had a ton of compliments today from women and men and I'm on top of the world.

If you go to my picturetrail album it's in the Dogs, Hair, etc. A strange combo, I know. Maybe b/c I thought my hair looked like Fido's @ss quite often? :p

ETA: I'll have DH take a front shot tonight. I don't really prefer the way Marc styled my bangs b/c he didn't want them on my forehead in case I were to sweat. What am I??? I can't do any cardio until Monday when I can wash it. YIKES!!! But I'm kinda getting used to it FOR NOW, so I might go ahead and post one temporarily if you all promise not to point and laugh. I know it's not THAT much different.

Last edited:
Your hair is beautiful, I love all the pictures of your hair. If it is the straighted hair, then I was wondering if you could do it at home? If so, what product would you use? If you can't do it at home, where do you find a salon to do it for you?

You are so lucky to have hair that can be curly and straight. They did a beautiful job!;)

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Oh Suz .. It is beautiful!! WOW .. I have never heard of this .. my hair needs it bad!! May have to check into it!! Luv Luv Luv it!!!:D

Hi Janie,

No, you can't do it at home. It has to be done by professionals. And it's semi-permanent, meaning that it will last 4-5 months, so it won't be curly during that time. I used to have a lot more days of "nicer" curls, but in the past 8 months or so those days are few and far between. I live in a very windy climate and I know that really takes a toll on curls. The curl "experts" say that you should stay out of the wind. Ha! If you lived where I live you would know that's impossible. It's TERRIBLY windy today. :mad:

I found him through a gal who is really well known for doing this treatment in Denver but is super booked. She trained him 4 years ago. She told me if I didn't feel comfortable after talking with him she would fit me in. I liked him the minute I talked with him. I think I found her discussion boards on www.naturallycurly.com. Someone looking could probably just Google Brazilian Keratin Treatment.

Your hair is beautiful both ways I think - but YOU have to be the one happy with it! I am also VERY jealous of your workout room .... I don't have enough room for all that equipment but if I did - ooooh, one day when if I sell my condo and buy a real house with a full basement. For now, I will just be happy with using my spare room ...

Your hair is beautiful both ways I think - but YOU have to be the one happy with it! I am also VERY jealous of your workout room .... I don't have enough room for all that equipment but if I did - ooooh, one day when if I sell my condo and buy a real house with a full basement. For now, I will just be happy with using my spare room ...

Thanks Princessbear. :eek: My hair in those before pics are on a non-windy day. If the wind was blowing my hair would be one huge frizzy hot mess! And the amount of product I had to use to keep it that calm is ridiculous. It was definitely not touchable.

I do love my workout room. My DH is really good about getting me whatever I want. About 6 months ago he thought I should have a Bowflex Revolution b/c his boss kept raving about his so he found one in the paper for CHEAP and we added that (my DH works out at the PD). Gotta love him! Here's to hoping you'll have a basement workout room soon!

Looks great! So, once you can wash it, will you be able to just wash it and let it go, and it will look like that?? I would pay about a million darn bucks if that were the case. Even if you have to dry it a little, still, to be that straight would be nice. Really, really looks super :)

Suz,

It looks beautiful!! Can I ask how much it cost? I have been getting mine straightened with a relaxer at he salon. It lasts about 4 months before I have to get it done again but my hair is damaged from it. I really like how straight it is! Someone else asked if you wash it you can let it dry and it will look like that that is that true?

Take care,

Lisa

Shana - Thanks. He said that if I don't dry it that it would have a little bit of a wave to it but that it would be really easy to dry straight. I'm used to never drying my hair except for my bangs, so we'll see. I'm going to try letting it air dry for kicks and see how it looks but then I'm also going to dry a bit and see how it looks. I just never did b/c it would be HUGE and FRIZZY if I did.

Leanne - Thank you!

Lisa - The cost started at $300 and then depending on how much of the stuff he needed it went up to $400. Since my hair was longer he ended up using all of the stuff so it was $400. But to me it was TOTALLY worth it. And I spent oh-so-much on Ouidad curly hair products every couple of months it was ridiculous! Now I won't have to use anything but a little bit of a moisturizer on the back b/c it was so damaged (and he said only if I wanted to), a spray before I workout if I'm gonna sweat b/c the salts aren't good for it - which is why I can't wait until I can move onto the next treatment and hope it doesn't react the same but I figure compared to all the other crap I had to put in my hair every single day this is a small price - and a bit of hair spray if I want to. He said I should only shampoo every 5 days or so, which is what I did with curly hair anyway. On the other days I just used conditioner, which is what I'll continue to do. I do cardio 4-6 days a week so I have to do something.

I'll try to give updates when I can wash it as to how it reacts with not drying it and partially drying it.

Wow, Suz, that looks great! Your before picture looks a lot like how my hair looks without product or styling (except mine is way frizzy). I have a lot of stray shorties as a result of breakage from straightening... so this might be a treatment I would look into. It looks really great on you!

And off the topic of your hair, in your sewing album... you did that? Wow, girl! You have some major talent. :D

Missy

I'm fascinated! I also have 'sort of' curly hair that either has to be loaded with product to look straight or loaded with product to not frizz. Can you use a curling iron on your hair now, or no? I also do a lot of cardio and cannot imagine not shampooing three times a week--is that really doable? As I said, I'm fascinated!

Kelly

Missy - Thanks. Yeah, I don't know what has happened to my hair that it looked like that with product! It was just getting more and more frizzy. And I have breakage without even straightening. Go figure! I haven't sewn since before summer and need to get back in my sewing room. I had lost so much weight (some on purpose and then some stress) and was hoping to gain some back so I was kind of waiting it out before I wasted my time making something that might not fit but that didn't happen so I think I'll just start up again.

Kelly - Marc said that I can curl it but that I would just have to use product in it to make it curl. I guess just like any straight hair? That must be the diff between this one and the Japanese Thermal Reconditioning Treatment b/c I think with that one it won't curl at all. As for the shampooing once a week, since my hair was so dry with being so curly I never shampooed more than once a week, just conditioned every day and my hair never stunk - or at least DH never said so. ;) I have a pretty sensitive sniffer and I can tell when my hair stinks.

Suz, your hair looks beautiful! I really REALLY want to see how it frames your lovely face please, you nut! :D

Suz, your hair looks beautiful! I really REALLY want to see how it frames your lovely face please, you nut! :D

Michele - Yeah, I'm a big dork. I had DH take a front shot but I just can't seem to post it. I think I'm gonna have to wait until I can style it the way I like it. I don't mind it when I look in the mirror but something about a BIG FAT PHOTO!

Suz,

You're gorgeous and your hair looks amazing. :D

Gosh, thanks. :eek: I've been so self-conscious about my hair for so many years so maybe I'll gain some confidence now. I always thought the pretty girls were the ones with the beautiful straight hair.

Hi Suz,

You are beautiful and I LOVE your hair!!

As a side note, I just had to say those pictures of the dog with the one ear up and the tongue hanging out... that is the most adorable dog ever!!

Shh, don't tell my doggy... ;-)

Becky

Hi Suz,

I used to get the Japanese hair straightening but stopped because of the time and cost, so I was very intrigued by your post. I've never even heard about Brazilian Keratin Treatment (BKT I guess it's called).

But, I did a google search and came up with some concerns which I don't know if you're aware of: (scroll down toward the middle for BKT)

http://www.safecosmetics.org/newsroom/washpost_1_27_08.cfm

Allure magazine also did an investigative piece.

I was all excited about this procedure until I read these articles.

ETA: I've read further and it seems that the main cause for worry is that some of the forumulations contain formaldahyde (sp?). Some salons claim to use forumulations that do not contain this?

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.