Book vs. Nook

pjlippert

Cathlete
This is quite interesting. My son and I had a discussion over dinner tonight about his friend who is 10 y.o. and has a Nook. Apparently, at Summer school they had a minor debate over the value and benefits of books vs. Nooks (and other such devices). My DS LOVES the feel, smell & experience of 'real' books. While his friend prefers the 'convenience' of his Nook.

DS informed him that the 'battery doesn't die with a book-mark'. Pretty stinkin' clever for a 9 y.o. IMHO.

Like my son, I too LOVE the feel, smell & experience of "old fashioned" books.

How 'bout you?

Pam

Book... I love the smell of books. I love turning page's .. I also love jusry opening it up not pushing a button.
I love knowing ill have the book to read again if I want it. Lol. Yes your son is very smart!

Love love love my Nook! When Im done reading a book (or taking a break from it) I can go online to Cathe forums or play games or even 'go to the library' to search for my next read!

I Love Books. I love the feel of holding a book and turning the pages. I like seeing people carry books. I like seeing my bookcase full of books. I like seeing my bookmark showing how many pages I have read.

Jean

I love books. I love opening them, displaying them on bookcases, taking them on the beach. . . I have an iPad and I don't have a single book downloaded, lol. Even though it must be convenient to just download your next read instead of going to the library or waiting for your amazon.com package to arrive, I still prefer books.

Kristin

Books!! I love everything about them. I have a tablet and I have 2 books on it and I haven't been able to get through either one. I hate reading on those things.

Last edited:
nook!!

I love my nook!!! Especially my new glow nook! I too love the smell of a book, but I also did not like lugging several books around or when they piled up in my house and then I had to take them to a used book store. My sister has a nook also and we use the "lend me" option and it's awesome! The nook is so light and fits in my small purse I can take it anywhere.

Nope...I love my nook :)

Books every time. I find it hard to process much language and text on a screen. The Cathe forums work fine because these are bite size pieces of text, but page after page of it? Nope. I refuse to read my students' essays from their screens for the same reason. Just because they can process it, doesn't mean it won't give me a headache.

Clare

Books! I have a Sony Reader, & although it's nice for traveling (not having to lug several books with me), it didn't help me on my recent trip. We were without power for days, & therefore, the Reader could not be recharged! That will teach me to go ahead & lug my books!

It depends for me. I LOVE my Nook, but if Im going to the beach or the pool, I just use a book. I love not needing a bookmark with my Nook though!

I love my kindle! I can underline, bookmark, write notes, ...all the things I thought I'd have to give up with an ereader. I can carry around all the books I am currently reading ( I usually am reading 4 or so at a time ;) ) and more! I often have forgotten who a character is or what s/he has done and I can do a quick search. I love the access of dictionaries while I'm reading! I find that I read more now that I have my Kindle!

I love my Kindle

I have two Kindles and for the first year I totally missed the feel of a book in your hands and being able to see how far into the book I am. Recently I have finally come to the conclusion that I really prefer e-books. Mostly for the convenience of having so many books in such a small device. Our house is lined with bookshelves and I never could manage to keep all of the books contained. Now I can keep them managed for the most part.

I do still ocassionally buy a paper book if it is easier to read, like a cookbook or a book on movement mechanics. And I still have a stock of paper books I take to read on the plane during takeoff and landing.

Kindle Fire for me!

Love, love it! I travel a lot, so it's a wonderful thing to be able to bring all my books with me. The battery lasts over a week at least. No problems with it going dead. It's small and compact, and fits so well into my carry on for the airplane. I also love that it doesn't have to be taken out of my bag at security. (Not that a real book would have to be, but a laptop does.)

I also love how cheap the books are. I rarely pay over 99cents for a download, and most of the time get the free ones.

Nook!

Just try prying my precious Nook Color from my hands -- I dare ya!;)

I was hesitant about it at first because I, too, love books, grew up loving and appreciating books, and didn't expect to take to the Nook as quickly and thoroughly as I have. Now I can't imagine being without it. I have an Asus Transformer Prime tablet (Android device), which is about the same size as an iPad. I have the Kindle app on it and have read a few books that way. I love my Prime for many things, but I do prefer the smaller size of the Nook for reading.

Books!
I don't have a nook so I can't say for sure but I think a benefit is having access to several magazines and books (and movies, too?) all on one device. Or is that a Kindle?
Either way, a book doesn't have to be turned off upon taking off or landing an airplane:)

I don't have one of the new readers. I've been curious about them though. Where do you get the books to download? Someone mentioned that they are 99 cents -- Wow. That would be a real benefit. Explain, please!

Books for me. I love puttering around books stores and libraries. Also, I can donate my book to the library or pass along to a friend.

Wow! quite the split out there! I can see the benefit of a reader thing when one is traveling. Since, inevitably, I bring several books on vacay and end up barely reading them! :rolleyes:

Books!

Either way, a book doesn't have to be turned off upon taking off or landing an airplane:)

This is very true, and has occurred to me more than once as we take off and land. But... for me, I don't read during those times. I can't concentrate because those are the most nervous times of the flight for me. I prefer to try to relax with my eyes closed.

You'd think that as much as I fly, I wouldn't be bothered, but it still gives me a bit of anxiety.

Even so, it's only a matter of about 5 minutes on each end of the flight, so not a problem at any rate! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.