Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

We have internet again! Don't know what is going on but it is going in and out the past few days--usually only for short periods of time but today it was for hours. And of course our provider has no clue what is going on.

Are feeling ok now Jodi? I am dreading it. My husband has had several for medical reasons so he plans to make certain I get mine at age 50 like I'm supposed to. He so wants to share the joy of the prep with me. :( But unless there is a good reason--I'm not doing it until I'm 50! And this still 6 years away!

PFLO arrived today! So now I have them both. I'm doing those in May. It really is so hard to do these awesome workouts--then set them aside until later this year. Some of the kettlebell workouts (and Mark Lauren's bodyweight workouts and Cathe's heavy strength workouts) seem like things I should be doing regularly and I hate that they are sitting on my shelf not being done. But if I don't sample all of my new workouts then I don't know everything I have to work with. And there may be even more amazing workouts I need to do more often. I really need to stop buying new workouts. Just STOP. As I mentioned above, I watched the Cast & Moves of JM's BodyShred and OMG. The exercises are uber-advanced. Way out of my league! I only hope that is just a sampling of few or I am not going to be able to do the exercises! This program looks seriously hard. And it seems like something I need actually spend time on. Not just a sampling. So that kind of bothers me. I will never master those kinds of exercises unless I do the workouts frequently.

Nathalie--it depends which RwH you're talking about! The circuit workouts, yes, I lifted heavier than Cathe. The RIHI upper body workouts? No way! I did lift as heavy as she did, but it was a struggle--I was close to failure by the last rep frequently. Those are seriously some of the best strength workouts I have ever done and like I just mentioned, I feel like I should be doing them regularly. But everything is on hold until I get through all of my new workouts (and the ones I haven't touched in years but are still advanced--at least that's how I remember them). Anyway--how about you? Are you lifting heavier than Cathe?

Nathalie--it depends which RwH you're talking about! The circuit workouts, yes, I lifted heavier than Cathe. The RIHI upper body workouts? No way! I did lift as heavy as she did, but it was a struggle--I was close to failure by the last rep frequently. Those are seriously some of the best strength workouts I have ever done and like I just mentioned, I feel like I should be doing them regularly. But everything is on hold until I get through all of my new workouts (and the ones I haven't touched in years but are still advanced--at least that's how I remember them). Anyway--how about you? Are you lifting heavier than Cathe?

RwH, I am talking about Upper body circuit. I will definitely use them often. They are versatile.
I will let you know about the lower body segment. I felt I needed to increase a bit. So far I love this series.
I am looking forward to reading your reviews on new workout. I have seen Bodyshred clips. It look like an
insanity type of workout. A Hiit, not sure Jillian is structured as an instructor.

Oh boy! I just did a lot of catching up on this thread! This is what I've been up to since last time:

Fri: Tracie Long Longevity Leaning Out
Sat: Body Beast Build Shoulders + Booty Barre Ballet workouts 2, 3, and 4
Sun: Slow & Heavy Chest & Back
Mon: XTrain Legs, Standing and Barre
Tues: rest
Wed: Slow & Heavy Biceps & Triceps
Thurs: Tracie Long Fast Cheetah
Fri: Slow & Heavy Shoulders
Sat: YouTube full workouts - Barre3 Body Burner + Standing Slim

Jodi, I can recommend Tracey Mallet's Booty Barre Ballet (blue outfits), I don't have any of her other Booty Barres, but I really enjoyed this one last week! The Suzanne Bowen's Barre Ampeds are nice (really good 10 min stretching at the end), not as fun as Booty Barre, but really good for tips on form, which was lacking in Booty Barre. I was looking at the Barre3 set, but I think I'll pass after trying the YouTube ones. I liked Standing Slim but Body Burner was just "meh." There was a pilates feel in there and I'm not a fan of pilates. Now I'm looking into Ballet Physique. I'm trying to be really selective with acquiring barre workouts, I need them for now, but don't use them regularly when I'm not injured. I love Turbo Barre, though. ...Uhhh, I was told I should get a colonoscopy this year, but ... umm, I just may wait until I have to go in again in about 5 years. Mammogram too, maybe later... I know I should, but I feel like I can put it off. ;)

Did I read mention of P90X and STS? I am hoping to try out P90X for the first time this fall and follow with my beloved STS set in the winter! So, Nathalie, maybe we can do it together again. I seriously love heavy lifting and it seems to be the most effective way of training for me. Funny about mentioning a new set of workouts from Cathe, SarBear, I've been thinking about that already too! From announcement to finished product takes up to 9? months, so I'm thinking maybe we'll hear about some new DVDs coming out again. :D

Hello Ladies,

Mary your rotation look really good. Great way to undulate/mixing up Barre and HEAVY.
We love our HEAVY stuff on here yeah:):);). The booty ballet workout look good. It's something
I could try and actually do. I like what I have seen of it.

Mary are you fully up and running or still healing from an injury? You are determined.
I admire you for still being eager to get the job done despite an injury. Yes yes yes
let's start STS beginning or mid of fall.:):)
As to the upcoming cathe series, as always we are wondering what is in the "fridge" for us lol.
What has cathe got under her sleeves as upcoming goodies:p:p

Today workout for me was RwH LIHI legs...40 pound plie squat was very challenging.
I was praying to not get :D:Dstuck travelling from the lowest level lifting back up through the heels lol:D
I am glad I matched the load. Now I need to master it.i feel I was ready to increase the weight.

Have a good day ladies:)

Today was PFWL Muscle Splits Upper Body and Core B and C. These 2 core workouts were short and again seemed so simple, but, man, I was feeling them. If you really watch your form as she instructs, it makes such a difference.

Jen, I'm feeling great now. Right after the procedure I was pretty much back to normal other than a little sluggishness from the anesthesia. That meal afterwards never tasted so good! So funny about your husband. Mine has had a few also because of family history so he was just giddy that it was my turn to experience the whole process. Aren't they just the sweetest? Mary, as much as it and a mammogram is not fun, don't put them off!

And thank you so much for the barre recommendations, Mary! I will look into all of them. I caved and already purchased Physique 57 Volume 2 and one other one by Leah Sarago. I also like the idea of mixing barre with heavy weight work. You hit so many more muscles with such diverse workouts.

Jen, I think you've talked me into putting off doing Bodyshred until after some Cathe rotation! I'll see how you do with it and read your review and go from there. I don't mind hard workouts but if the moves are so crazy I can't even do them, what's the point?

Hello! this morning was X2 Core + JMBS Fire Up. Neither of them were as hard as I expected. Both were very good workouts and I liked them both a lot but I was expecting them both to be harder. X2 Core is P90X2's core-centric total body workout. It s a good workout, but 19 minutes of it was the warm up. And Fire Up is one of Body Shred's 2 cardio workouts. The cardio workouts isn't where Jillian's intensity usually shines through. Tomorrow I'll be doing one of her metabolic strength workouts, so I get a real taste of BodyShred then.

Not sure what you are referring to Nathalie about Jillian--her workout structure? The majority of her workouts are 30 minutes but they are always super intense metabolic strength workouts. She packs solid total body strength with HIIT level cardio into a mere 30 minutes and she does it better than just about anyone out there. She has a signature 3-2-1 method: 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of core. However every exercise is done in 30 second increments. So her workouts are not muscle building workouts. Very metabolic--but you do get some strength work. I wouldn't do her workouts exclusively, which is why I'm pairing it with P90X2 which does do muscle splits.

Mary--I think an STS/P90X kind of hybrid would be awesome. Maybe in the fall, when I am finally through with getting through all of these new workouts, we could all do something like that together. Nathalie? Do you have P90X? If you don't, no big deal, you could just do STS since we will be doing that, too. I had actually planned to do some (0X in June, but I would be happy to hold off a month or two and construct a longer hybrid rotation. And in the interim I could revisit some old favorites! I know at the end of this month I am doing nearly a week of Cathe workouts--I just miss her workouts so much so I decided I needed the squeeze some Cathe in there to stop from going crazy!

Today was PFXXX Metabolic Conditioning 2 and PFX Core Cardio. I've got to admit I feel like I was only putting about a 90% effort into today's workout. I stayed up later than usual last night watching The Walking Dead and Talking Dead so my sleep was lacking. I guess 90% is better than none at all!

After reading Cathe's newsletter today, I really want to dig out her Slow & Heavy workouts! I could mix them with my new barre workouts and maybe even mix in the Tempo workouts from BB. Hmmm, I really think I need to start mapping out that kind of rotation!

This morning I did Body Beast Build Chest and Triceps. Alternating weeks of Body Beast and Slow and Heavy (instead of Tempo, which I don't have) is very nice, keeps it fresh!

Nathalie, last Monday I had a 7-week check for my knee. He (physicians assistant) assured me that my MCL (the inner side knee ligament) was healed but I had my doubts because it didn't feel healed. And he said he was 80% sure I had meniscus cartilage damage and ACL tear (mid knee ligament for front to back support). The next day I had an MRI and a few days later it was confirmed that my MCL is in fact still torn, the cartilage and ACL are intact, but my LCL (the outer side knee ligament) is torn. That freaked me out for a few days knowing that I didn't have any ligaments supporting side movements of my knee. This Wednesday I'll be seeing a physician and hopefully will proceed with a plan to heal -- for real this time! It's frustrating. I feel like I've wasted a lot of time.

Jen, I'd have no idea how to fit P90X together with STS for a hybrid. I haven't done P90X yet. Maybe I should do X over the summer first before the hybrid? We'll see how it goes. I love the idea of doing pull/chin-ups, and they're in both programs!

I'm off to read about Slow and Heavy in Cathe's newsletter now! :D

I just finished Suzanne's Barre Amped - Thigh and Seat Work
heart.gif

Being a barre novice I've come to realize that I really appreciate the all the form and posture tips that Suzanne gives. It keeps me focused and challenged. The 13 min stretch on this DVD is wonderful!

Jodi, I have all 4 of Leah's Ballet Body, but haven't used them much. I ought to do them. :) I'm very curious about Physique 57. I hear they're pretty advanced.

Last edited:
This morning was P90X2 Plyocide and planned doubles is JMBS Launch. P90X2 is really surprising me... or I am better shape than I think I am because I expected Plyocide to be killer. It was not. So I had to go in an change around the rest of this month's rotation. Now all of the Plyocide days have been replaced with Cathe's plyo-leg workouts--STS plyo Legs, CLB, RwH leg workouts. It wasn't a horrible or pointless workout, but compared to what I already own in the same vein, I can get a much better plyo workout from Cathe or Shaun T.

Mary, I hadn't really put a lot of thought into how to actually construct a hybrid of STS/P90X. I just know that once I complete a program as laid out, I usually want to mix things up and at least hybrid it with something else the next time I do--if not hybrid it with multiple things. And I've been through STS twice now. I really don't know what I am going to do once I finish things up. Right now my rotation is mapped out till mid-June. After that, I'm not sure what I'm doing. I keep wanting to start the planning but I am making myself hold off until I get through all of the new-to-me workouts.

And wow! I am so sorry to hear your knee is still giving you problems. It is taking a long time to heal. What is the next step in the healing plan?

Today was PFWL Muscle Splits Lower Body, Core D, and Core E. Core D was another short and simple one, but again, her focus on that pelvic tilt really makes you feel it so much more. Core E is just a bit longer and is done Tabata style. I love all of the core workouts from this program!

This may be my last week of LB workouts. I've been doing her workouts since March 1. I think it's time for a change!

This morning I did RWH Low impact HiiT premix first half of one and second half of two, plus core 1. I like mixing them together.

Mary, take care and here's to a speedy recovery.

Today I did PFLO Upper Body Strength and PFWL Cardio Plyometrics. I wore my weighted gloves for the cardio workout and that bumped it up a bit, but it's definitely not a really hard workout.

Haven't had a chance to check in in about a week, but I'll out here! I did end up fitting in two of my new PFLO workouts before I left on my long weekend trip. Last week I tried out PFLO Upper body endurance and PFLO Total Body endurance--loved both workouts! For UB endurance I used 15lb dumbells like Lindsey and her team are using. Before starting the workout I thought that 15lbs might be too light given how heavy I have been lifting in STS, but because this is an endurance workout boy did those 15's really start to feel super heavy after a couple of rounds! They definitely got the job done. :) I'm super excited to try out some of the other workouts in this series and hopefully work them into a future rotation.

Didn't get a chance to officially workout on Friday-Sunday when we were out of town, but we did so much walking (including a 6 mile hike in the Smokey Mountains on Saturday) that I didn't feel like I was slacking that much. We didn't get home from TN until Sunday evening and then I stayed up way too late watching the season finale of the Walking Dead (Jodi, I know you can relate) so my Monday morning workout didn't happen. Unfortunately, my Tuesday and Wednesday workouts didn't happen either :-(. I think I picked up a bug while we were out of town. I haven't felt great all week. I was supposed to start Meso 3 this week, but at this rate I probably won't officially start that until next week. I have to be at work super early tomorrow so even if I do start feeling better I won't be able to get my workout in. Trying not to be too hard on myself for listening to my body and taking it easy this week. Work has also been super crazy this week so I've been appreciating the extra hour of sleep in the morning. Hoping that I feel better by Friday/Saturday though so that I can try out a couple more PFLO workouts before getting back into STS on Sunday. While I am dreading the longer running times of the Meso 3 workouts (I actually considered stopping at Meso 2 and just moving onto a new rotation because of it), I think I really want to finish up this round of STS.

Jen--regarding Lauren Brooks, part of me wonders if I just chose a bad DVD or used way too light of KB weights??? I dunno. She does seem to have quite the following, so who knows. I think if I were to buy another one of her workouts I would spend more time researching her various DVD's before making the purchase. Had I done that this time, I probably would have realized that this workout DVD wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be.

And Mary you are right---the time between the announcement - final product of new Cathe workouts typically take 9 months. That's why I am already getting anxious to hear what she has in store for us next! :) Seems like it's about this time every year (give or take a month or two) that she announces the new workouts she's working on. We shall see!!! I just preordered KCM's two new DVD's after watching the previews that she released earlier today so that'll give me something to look forward to for now! :)

Good morning. I hurt my left shoulder somehow yesterday. I think I did it during my workout which was X2 Total Body, but not sure. It might have happened during doubles the day b4 but I just made it worse during yesterday morning's workout. I did JM's Yoga Meltdown #1 for doubles and this morning was P90X2's Recovery & Mobility which actually helped my shoulder a lot, tho it is still not 100%. Planned doubles is JMBS Rise.

Today I did PFLO Lower Body Strength and PFWL Loading. Really like the Loading workout, worked up a great sweat!

Jen, sorry to hear about your shoulder. We're you able to do the JM workout?

SarBear, glad you liked the PFLO workouts so far. That Total Body one is rough!

Thanks Jodi--and this morning my shoulder is way worse. Can't understand why because when I went to bed last night it was almost 100%. Really upsets me. This morning was X2 Balance & Power and I had to modify some of the moves because of my stupid #%&* shoulder/neck. It is a really great workout, too and I feel like I half-a$$ed it.

And yes, I was able to do JMBS dobules yesterday. I am loving BodyShred so far! I can say that week 1, though very intense and excellent workouts, are equal to the second phase of Body Revolution--second two weeks of second month of BR. So upper-intermediate. Awesome workouts, tho. I love them so far. Nothing complicated yet. I'm sure the psycho advanced moves will appear NLT the second month if not next week!

I took a bunch of motrin this morning. Tomorrow is yoga and Sunday is a rest day. Fingers crossed this neck/shoulder issue is better by Monday.

This is off topic. I don't really visit the other boards on this forum anymore because I don't like the toxic tone of a lot of things being discussed. But of course Nathalie's name popped up as a subject line on the Open Discussion board today and I saw it on my way to visit this board. Anyway--I just have to say that I think that is just wrong for someone to start a public post like that about another person and it turns my stomach. I don't know all the details and I don't want to go back and read a bunch of unpleasant posts to find out. I have known Nathalie through these forums, PMs and FB for years and I have a hard time believing she deserves that. She has always been supportive and helpful to others.

I have never contributed to any forum regularly until I discovered Cathe's. I would occasionally visit other forums and on a very rare occasion do a post, but nothing like I do here. I really enjoyed this place and the people who frequent it. I don't know what or why things are changing, but it is a big turn off for me. I'm not signing off at this time. I am going to try to stick with this check in only, but if this environment (not this particular check in ladies!) continues to be toxic I may just withdraw.

I think you ladies are great and I am glad we keep this check in supportive, non-toxic and a feel good place to visit.

Today is my rest day. I'm so excited to be starting a new rotation Sunday. I'll be mixing barre stuff with Slow & Heavy one week and then barre with BB Tempo another week. Maybe do that for four weeks or until I get bored. Total Fitness DVDs started their spring sale today so, yes, I bought some more barre workouts to try. I guess there are worse things to be addicted to than buying new workouts!

Wow, Jen, I can't believe a post about a poster would even be allowed. That is so rude! And I can't believe anyone would be bothered by Nathalie. I've always found her to be very knowledgable and supportive. I too mainly come here to check in, and I do like keeping up with our little group. Who needs more drama in their life?!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.