Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

I didn't check in yesterday--so yesterday was Les Mills Pump Pump Challenge + Step and yesterday's doubles was Asylum's Fit Test. This morning I did Les Mills Pump Pump & Burn + Flow. Planned doubles for today is Les Mills Pump Sports Attack.

Jodi--I want and checked out that PFLO yesterday--is that advanced? I have never seen her before. Why is "Mom" attached to most of the workout titles?

Sarbear and Elaine--why do you always use heart rate monitors? I actually have two (and a Bodybug) but I never use them anymore. I never really understood why I needed one. They are big sellers, so clearly a lot of people do think they are necessary. How do you use the information you get from your HRM in regards to your workouts? Especially when doing DVD workouts. I know they say you're not supposed to exceed 85% of your maximum heart rate, but IMHO, that defeats the purpose of a lot of the workouts I do (HIIT)-where you are going all out. I remember the first time I did Insanity I wore a HRM and was constantly exceeding 85%--but isn't that the point? So I stopped wearing it since I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with that information. Not put so much effort into Insanity? Well, that wasn't going to happen!

This morning was RWH Lower Body Circuit. It's been awhile since I've done this workout as produced. It really had me sucking wind. :)

Jen, I wear a monitor mostly because it motivates me. I can see how many calories I burned in a certain amount of time and certain workouts.
I use the heart rate range mostly when I use cardio coach on my bike.it helps me stay in the right zone for during the intervals.

This morning I did Lean Legs and Abs + Bonus Barre.

Yesterday I took a rest day. I felt very exhausted. Since late last week we've had 4 out of our 6 family members get a stomach bug (icky), all one at a time, with a new case just last night. I'm hoping I got off lucky and my bout was yesterday's tiredness -- today I feel great. The only one who hasn't gotten it yet is my youngest daughter.

Jen, I just have to say - I haven't had back DOMS like I did yesterday as far as I can remember! It was from my first time doing Slo-Mo Strength - Back and Shoulders two days ago. I have to somehow do that one more often. :D

Today I did STS, M2, W2 Back and Biceps. My lower back did not enjoy some of the exercises in the back portion (particularly the one legged deadlifts). None of the exercises were new to me so I'm not sure why my lower back was yelling at me today. The bicep section went very well though. Love the versagrips that I got a few weeks ago. I've been able to increase my weights for bicep exercises without causing any wrist pain/soreness like I've experienced during previous STS rotations.

Jen-Like Elaine, I find that wearing a heart rate monitor motivates me. I like seeing the data even though I know that the number of calories burned is probably not exact. I don't really do anything with the info. I guess it just gives me something to benchmark my workouts with. Mine connects (or at least it did before it died) to my cell phone and the data could be pulled into other apps like MFP. I never really did much with that though. I also have a Jawbone UP24 that I've worn religiously for well over a year now. I originally got it because several of my friends and coworkers had them, but now I am the only one that still uses it. Since no one uses theirs anymore it doesn't really motivate me to hit my daily # of steps, but just like with the HR monitor I really enjoy seeing the data it provides--as silly as that sounds!

Elaine--what kind of HR monitor do you have? Is it a polar watch? I can't believe yours has lasted so long and mine has already kicked the bucket! I did try changing the battery on it, but still no luck.

Sarbear I have a Polar F6. It's a pink watch with a chest strap. It's not fancy. I don't know if it can connect to MFP. The updated versions probably can. It's funny I just got new glasses today and noticed my watch has a battery gauge. LOL

Today I did PFLO Anaerobic Capacity and a segment of Stretch Max, basically because every muscle is sore. So sore!

Jen, Lindsay Brin's 'angle' is that she is a busy mom who makes workouts for other busy moms. The only workouts I've done by her are the PFLO program and these new ones. From what I remember of PFLO, it was advanced to me at the time. As I go back to them, I'll be able to give you a better read on them. Anaerobic Capacity is a HiiT workout. You do 10 exercises, 40 seconds on and 20 seconds rest, then 4 exercises, 60 seconds on and 60 seconds rest, and then you repeat the 10 exercises in reverse order. Is it the hardest HiiT I've ever done? No, but it definitely isn't easy, especially that 60/60 section (tuck jumps, burpee/plank jack/tuck jump, switch kicks-each side).

The new workouts? Oh good gosh, they are advanced. Or at least that's what my still sore butt keeps telling me whenever I sit down. :eek:

So many more new-to-me workouts I want! These boards can be dangerous! I do think Any Bentos Slo Mo will be the next one I get. I already ordered JM's Bodyshred--it is on the way and I received her Killer Body yesterday (I had it on pre-order) and did the first one this morning. One of these days I will get through all of my new-to-me workouts and start my plug-in rotation.

This morning was Asylum Speed & Agility and since I am not going in to work due to the weather, I just went ahead and did JM's Killer Body Lower Body workout (it had been my planned double, but it is done!).

So many more new-to-me workouts I want! These boards can be dangerous! I do think Any Bentos Slo Mo will be the next one I get. I already ordered JM's Bodyshred--it is on the way and I received her Killer Body yesterday (I had it on pre-order) and did the first one this morning. One of these days I will get through all of my new-to-me workouts and start my plug-in rotation.

This morning was Asylum Speed & Agility and since I am not going in to work due to the weather, I just went ahead and did JM's Killer Body Lower Body workout (it had been my planned double, but it is done!).

NO you did n't ! I hope you guys don't mind if I crash in occasionally, I'm really better at locking horns than checking in, apparently. whoops. Jen, so, do tell about the new JM Killer Body. A note about Bodyshred, some of the exercises can be a little ballistic in nature, it's the speed of the workouts, something I think I'll have to be aware of , with some of the things she does. I don't know if that will be any concern for you, but I thought I'd mention it. Have you done a review of Asylum as well? I think I remember liking the exercises in the preview for that one.

You are busy aren't you? Time to put the hammer down!

112toGuru--I don't mind you dropping by! JM's Killer Body has 3 workouts on it--Lower Body, Upper Body and Core. They are each about 30 minutes. I did Lower Body today. It's set up circuit fashion. 4 circuits and each circuit has 4 exercises, you repeat the circuit then do a one minute cardio blast. I assume all 3 are set up the same way. It was challenging but not Body Revolution Phase 3 challenging. However, my legs are feeling it hours afterward--we'll see if I have DOMS tomorrow. I did like it. It was for the most part a bodyweight workout. Other than the deadlifts you can only use light weights for most of the exercises--but that is typical JM. She always uses exercises that it is hard to heavy up on because they are challenging on their own. There is a lot of plyometrics. Oh--and Bodyshred just arrived! I have the unopened package sitting next to me which I will be opening as soon as I sign off here.

And no, I have not reviewed Asylum--yet! The review will be up next weekend. I've only done the fit test and one workout so far, but I do like it. Very intense but also very different from the original Insanity and Max:30. That agility ladder is definitely a game changer! I will be doing the rest of the workouts this week and next.

Elaine--my husband always makes comments on my arms when I am doing heavy weight workouts. And my butt when I hit the lower body hard. So apparently these things are more visible than I think they are!

Just about the entire state has shut down because of the weather forecast. But of course my employer did not shut down. So I called in and said I wasn't coming in because I was tired of driving home in crappy weather (they've been sending us home early over the past week because of the weather and the drive home is treacherous). Well, nothing is happening. It is noon and the roads are still perfect. This is embarrassing!

Last edited:
Today I did PFLO Lower Body Endurance and Core Endurance. I was supposed to do #2 of both workouts again today but decided to do the originals to compare. Both #2 workouts are tougher, but the originals are by no means easy. I was drenched in sweat by the end of the 30 minutes of LBE, but it's not as long as #2 and the tempo is a bit slower. I know I can up my weights next time, but I am still a bit sore from #2 so I didn't want to overdo it today. CE is one of my all time favorite core workouts mainly because it helped me learn so much more about proper form while working the core. She gives great tips and pointers beyond the usual chin-off-your-chest and lower-back-on-the-floor stuff, and I have kept them in my mind ever since. Great, great workout.

Killer Body is also on my wish list. And Jen, I can't wait to hear all about Les Mills Pump. Yup, these boards are dangerous!

This morning was Asylum Strength + STS Extended Stretch and planned doubles is JM/Killer Body: Core. Asylum is definitely different from the other Insanity workouts I have done so far--different, but no less tough!

Jodi--I haven't gotten into the real meat of Les Mills Pump yet--that is next week, but so far I am really liking it. I'm excited about next week when I start doing the real total body pump workouts. The ones I've done so far seem more like "prep" for it--well, one definitely was, but the other seemed like it was as well. I'm glad tho because using the barbell in that fashion does take some practice to figure out how much weight you need. I thought I could go heavier on chest and I burned out quick, but I didn't go heavy enough on back. But now I know when I do the hour long workouts next week what weight to use.

Yesterday was a well deserved rest day for me. I'm trying to hit every body part twice a week with my current rotation so today I did RwH Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. Yowsers!!! It doesn't matter how many times I've done that workout since it came out in December--it still never seems to get any easier! haha! I love it though! My upper body is completely spent!! We also got slammed with another snowstorm last night so I helped my hubby shovel our driveway this morning so that was a little bonus cardio for the day! :)

OH and Jen...I love Les Mills Pump! They are great workouts for when you want to do high reps and I enjoy the soundtrack. I am bummed that Beachbody and Les Mills have decided not to renew their contract. I was hoping for new pump workouts in the future!

Today was PFLO Upper Body Endurance and PFLO Yoga Hybrid. Oh boy, this one was just as tough as #2. I had trouble keeping up some times! It's an endurance workout so speed is the focus, but she also wants you to go as heavy as you can with your weights without losing your form. Well, I over-reached at times and was really having to push it. My upper body was mush at the end!

I am in a lot of pain this morning! DOMS... I think! It must be from yesterday's Asylum Strength. Anyway, I did Les Mills Pump Combat workout this morning and wore 2 pound gloves--I felt every punch I threw throughout my upper back and right now sitting at my desk I feel it all through my upper back. Asylum Strength did have a lot of back work. Crazy! Also this morning was Les Mills Pump Hardcore Abs. Planned doubles is JM Killer Body Upper Body.

SarBear--that explains why Les Mills Pump is no longer on the main page! I am working on the blog review and I couldn't link to it. However, when I signed into my beachbody (free) account you can still buy it there and it is cheaper than it used to be, too. I guess they are trying to get rid of it? Too bad--it is a great program.

I love Burnsets, too, Mary. In fact, week after next starts my 2 weeks of kettlebell workouts and I plan to do a Burnsets body part segment each day--just to make sure I get adequate strength work that week. I haven't done Burnsets in a while but I do remember loving it.

And yes, SarBear--RwH Chest, Shoulders & Tris is possibly the hardest strength workout I've ever done. I always feel like I should be doing that frequently. And I probably will when I am done trying all my new workouts. I am actually excited about doing P90X2 next month. It has two workouts--PAP Upper and PAP Lower, which sound like they are similair to Cathe's RwH workouts. We'll see tho! That's April.

Yesterday's workout was Max 30's Cardio Challenge. I did it early in the morning before work and even though I was dragging a lil bit at the beginning I pushed through and by the end I was drenched in sweat and happy that I did it!

Jen--Yep, BB is selling the last of their Les Mills products in stock. So I think once they are sold out, that's it. Such a shame!

Today's workout is going to be RwH Back, Biceps & Shoulders.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Yesterday I did Great Glutes, all the standing segments including the bonus. Today instead of finishing my upper body split with Burnsets CBS, I did P90X Chest and Back. I loved it! It was my very first Tony workout. I can't believe I made it through the whole thing! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.