Body Beast

This morning started the Beast phase. 10 weeks down, 4 more to go. I am really looking forward to mixing things up. 5 weeks of Bulk was enough for me. Unfortuantely I do Legs on Mondays (because I do Total Body and Lucky 7 on Sunday)--so I was STILL doing Bulk this morning. :confused: And I have grown to dread Bulk Legs. It hasn't gotten any easier. However, tomorrow is Tempo! For my Build weeks during this phase I am doing all Tempo (except shoulders and legs since they have no Tempo). I am looking forward to doing something different again.

I do have to say, the results I am getting from this hybrid are nothing short of amazing. My upper body (arms/back/shoulders) just look so ripped and I can do so many push ups. In fact, I can't believe how "easy" they sometimes feel. Even tho I have been able to do them on my toes for years, I never found them easy. And when I had to do 16 in a single set--it got always got challenging after 10. (I always did better with Ilaria who usually makes you do 10 at a time, which, prior to now, was the optimal number for me to push out strong.) I think it's combining PiYo and Weider Ruthless with Body Beast--but now I am still going strong, on my toes, well after 10. Plus--I am doing tricep push ups on my toes and I know that is thanks to PiYo--I was always on my knees for tricep push ups until now. I am definitely happy with my results. However, as usual, I gotta do the food if I want to see the same results in my mid-section. I'm really going to try to do better in the kitchen during this last phase.

Jen - Tempo Chest for me today. Yey, can't wait. PiYo Sweat this morning, after walking the dogs. I was wide awake after that!
I'm the same about the food - I purposely 'bulked' over the last month, now I want to cut the fat and keep what muscle I can. I started lowering my carbs and fats last week, with the intention of being really good over the next month. We'll see.....

Hello, I've started Body Beast (Build week #3) and I'm really enjoying it. Just wondering about the Tempo DVD - I didn't purchase it - do you think it would be necessary to get it? Thanks.

Agreed on Tempo being so worth it. They are definitely my favorite workouts!

I'm in my last week of the Beast phase and today I did Build Legs for the last time. As I was dripping sweat and gasping for air while doing the step up super set, I just kept chanting to myself...this is the last time, this is the last time. I will not miss that workout!!

I only have 3 more weeks left of the Body Beast/PiYo rotation and some how I hurt my back!!! I have no clue how it happened (and this is how it always happens--out of nowhere, no clue why). My husband and I were at a concert last night, sitting on a bench waiting for it to start, and out of nowhere, my lower back seized. I have been walking around like an 80 year old ever since. When this happens it usually clears up in 1-3 days. So I can pick up where I left off next week--but until then I have to alter my rotation.

So, obviously I am taking a rest day today. I am going to take the week off of Body Beast. My question is, any suggsstions on workouts I can do this week that are easy on the back?

Sorry to hear that Jen, hope you feel better soon! How about a walking video or even a simple step workout?

I'm still stuck in the Bulk phase, I took another week off while we were on a cruise plus a week when our last grandchild was born. I'm feeling like I'll never get to the last phase! I am liking that I feel more "solid" and not so soft and squishy, lol.

Kathy

Oh no, Jen, that bites! Is there a gentle stretching workout in PiYo? Or do you have any gentle yoga? Maybe you could do a Yin yoga (long deep slow stretches) from youtube, for example Yogi Nora's.

Thanks ladies. My back is a lot better today tho it still hurts. I took a complete rest day yesterday--didn't even go to work--and applied heat and ice. I did Yoga Relax this morning and after work I will see if I can handle a PiYo workout. Then tomorrow I am going to try to do Cathe's Step Heat--I remember that one being pretty easy. And I'll keep trying to do PiYo after work every day. If it progresses like it normally does I will be 100% in a few days, so on Sunday I can just pick up with Body Beast where I left off. So frustrating tho! Especially when I have no clue why it happens!

Jen, glad that you can do something at least. Let us know how it goes. Which workout had you done on the day your back started playing up? Bulk triceps, weirdly, seems to bother my back. So much bending over.
Yesterday I did piyo buns and I was supposed to then do build legs, but life took over, so today I ended up doing piyo core, build legs and bulk shoulders. I'm having an early night!!!!

Jen, glad that you can do something at least. Let us know how it goes. Which workout had you done on the day your back started playing up? Bulk triceps, weirdly, seems to bother my back. So much bending over.
Yesterday I did piyo buns and I was supposed to then do build legs, but life took over, so today I ended up doing piyo core, build legs and bulk shoulders. I'm having an early night!!!!

I did Total Body + Lucky 7 + Stretch max. But I do those every Sunday and have been since I started Bulk phase (am in Beast phase now) with no problems. I felt fine after the workout, too. In fact, I worked out around 630am and my back spasmed around 8:30pm while I was sitting on a bench doing nothing!

Anyway, my back is much better this morning. Not yet 100% but close. I hope I can start back up where I left off on Sunday. I did PiYo after work on Tuesday (Strength Intervals) and yesterday (Core) without issue even when my back was still hurting a little. Yesterday morning I did Step Heat without any problems, but I modified by sticking with her lower impact versions of the moves and this morning I did MMA Boxing with no problems (and no modifications). I plan to do PiYo Buns today after work. Fingers crossed it is 100% by Sunday! I hate taking breaks like this!

I'm glad your back is getting better. Sounds like you just needed a bit of a break. Your schedule sounds amazing.

Today and tomorrow left of Beast. It's been a great rotation. Given me some great muscle. Especially enjoyed the Tempo workouts, will definitely add these to other weight rotations. Beast will definitely be on my schedule for the future. Now I wish I had taken before and after pictures.

Last edited:
Don't know if this question has been asked, and if so, my apologies, but: how different is BB to Cathe's STS program? What are the advantages of BB over STS? Jen and Justine: you seem to be really profiting from this program, so why would you recommend it to someone who owns STS?

Thanks! Just trying to be sensible before I whip out my poor, tired credit card.....

Clare

Hi Clare, I don't know if it boils down to one being better than the other. They are very different but both are very effective, which for me, is the pull. STS is a more well rounded system with the 3 distinct phases. You won't find such a distinction with Body Beast--just hard, then harder! And it is all hypertrophy. The pull for me was first, that it was different. I've been so focused on Cathe for strength for so long, that my body needed Body Beast--muscle confusion and all that. The second pull was the length. Almost every Cathe strength workout use up my entire hour of workout time in the mornings. And that is fine, but Body Beast (particularly the Bulk workouts) only uses up half of my morning workout time, so I can add on a short cardio and a longer stretch.

Which leads me to what some people might look at as negatives to Body Beast. He doesn't do a great job warming you up or stretching you out afterwards. The warm ups were fine for me, but I almost always tacked on one of Cathe's stretches afterward. Another issue some folks might have is that the tempo/pace of his reps is often all over the place and he frequently does reps fast. We are accustomed to the measured and controlled pace of Cathe's workouts, so we can usually go as heavy as possible for the # of reps in a set. That isn't always possible in Body Beast due to how fast he does some of the exercises. This doesn't count for the Tempo workouts BTW--he has a controlled pace/tempo in those.

I actually think Body Beast works well in conjunction with STS. You could easily rotate the two programs and get great results.

After this week, I only have two more weeks left and I am very happy with the results I've gotten from Body Beast. I think it is a great program, it really challenged me (I personally think the bonus workouts--Tempo and Lucky 7 are necessary). I also think that even if I am not doing the Body Beast program quite a few of the workouts are easy to incorporate into other rotations if you want to hit a muscle group harder or get a great total body workout (Total Body) or a quick and intense metabolic weight training workout (Lucky 7). Plus, due to the length I could easily use most of them as doubles workouts.

Hi Clare,
Yes, I agree with all Jen says about BB. The quick tempo on some of the workouts made them a little metabolic in nature (Lift Weights Quicker - Jen Sankler?). I loved doing half an hour weights on just one body part (5 day split), which meant that I had time to do something else - yoga, cardio etc. The results have been amazing. I have better upper body definition than I achieved with STS ALTHOUGH, I was starting from a different place. STS I did for 6 months having just completed XTrain, and I started at my lowest ever body fat. With BB I started with a somewhat higher body fat, and having done STS. So I can't fairly compare the two. I can do pull ups 5 (and a bit) for the first time ever. I have lats (which is good, because I'm narrow backed). My biceps pop. My calves are 'toned'. Which sounds like I'm pretty pleased with myself.......not really. I need to work my legs more, and think Cathe's better for that. BB attacked my quads, but has done little for my ab / adductors, or glutes. Again, not a fair comparison as I'm walking a little less than I did during XTrain and STS - I have a new puppy, and we're only up to 40 mins or so!
I also need to continue 'cutting' - but that's down to food. I've done 2 weeks on lower carb intake, and have 2 more weeks to go.
The workouts have a different feel to them, and as Jen says, sometimes a change is needed. If I had to choose 1 programme of the 2, it would be STS - glad I have both, though!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.