Apples-Sugar

naynay

Cathlete
I know this a stupid question. I have been trying to watch my sugar intake and I just looked at how much sugar is in an apple and in one natures promise organic gala apple there are 16 grams of sugar. I normally only eat a half but I have other stuff with it. Is the sugar in an apple good or do I need to be careful of how many apples I eat?

Nature's Sugars

I know this a stupid question. I have been trying to watch my sugar intake and I just looked at how much sugar is in an apple and in one natures promise organic gala apple there are 16 grams of sugar. I normally only eat a half but I have other stuff with it. Is the sugar in an apple good or do I need to be careful of how many apples I eat?

I had always heard that fruit, while high in sugar, is still good for you. The sugar in fruit is not the processed kind, and is also high in fiber and nutrients.

I defer to anybody else who may know differently!:eek:

Apples and sugar content.....

Fruit is very good for you especially in it's natural form (not canned in heavy syrup for example. Any food that is minimally processed or not at all, is the best way to eat clean) but because it does have natural sugar it is best to try and limit how much is eaten right before bedtime. When eaten earlier in the day you have more of an opportunity to utilize the sugar and burn it off and always be sure to eat the peel since that is where the insoluable fiber is. Hope that helps!

i eat 2 apples a day and have for years with no bad effects. In fact, my before bed snack of choice is an apple with peanut butter and it has never made me gain weight. I know everyone is different but i don't think that 1/2 or 1 apple is going to be too much sugar.

Hi..
That is really interesting research you have did.. I am always wondered for such things ... keep it up...

Last year I visited a dietician to help with weight loss.

She told me that my daily intake of 6 -10 pieces of fruit plus 1 or 2 fruit smoothies was not as healthy as I thought and, in fact, my (fruit) sugar intake was the equivilent of 2 liter bottles of coca cola!!

I always thought "well, fruit is healthy so more fruit is even healthier". Not true after all......a real eye opener!

I think people focus on the wrong thing when it comes to sugar. Its really not about where it comes from but what happens once it enters your body. Your body breaks it all down to glucose no matter where it comes from and too much, again no matter where it comes from, is not good.

sugar is sugar is sugar.

16 grams? ACK!

I think people focus on the wrong thing when it comes to sugar. Its really not about where it comes from but what happens once it enters your body. Your body breaks it all down to glucose no matter where it comes from and too much, again no matter where it comes from, is not good.

sugar is sugar is sugar.

16 grams? ACK!

Ditto!

Also, I wanted to mention that a serving of an apple is around 2.5 ounces. Have you ever weighed an apple? Most apples are 3 servings per apple Something that can throw you off if you're counting calories, sugar or servings.

Last edited:
Last year I visited a dietician to help with weight loss.

She told me that my daily intake of 6 -10 pieces of fruit plus 1 or 2 fruit smoothies was not as healthy as I thought and, in fact, my (fruit) sugar intake was the equivilent of 2 liter bottles of coca cola!!

I always thought "well, fruit is healthy so more fruit is even healthier". Not true after all......a real eye opener!

Yeah, I think that the guidelines for 5+ servings of fruits & veggies a day is supposed to go heavier on the veggies. Figures, right?

apple sugar is a best alternative of artificial sugar. and healthy than it . i suggest to use it.

Last edited:
DIABETES AND ORAL HEALTH

Most of the diabetic patients are so susceptible to oral infections that caused by millions of microbes that live in mouth naturally. But with increasing of blood sugar these natural microbes turn into dangerous and fatal micro organism. The disease make Xerostomia (lacking of salivary secretion and dryness of the mouth) and gingivitis more. Also the lack of secretion boosts decays and dental plaques.​

Since you are only eating 1/2 I would think it would be ok as a post workout glycogen recovery food. I sometimes have 1/2 an apple with some cheese or peanut butter.

Alisha

this is what I know - which is limited.

Apples are known as 'nature's broom'. Eating fruit (try melons) in the morning on an empty stomach will provide evidence of that. tee hee. That said, i have read that in the hierarchy of foods, fruit is #1. Also, I have read that it's best to eat most of your fruit in the morning and to lower your carb intake dramatically come the afternoon/evg (including carrots, sweet potatoes, beets etc eat earlier in the day as often as possible..). for your final meal of the day you might consider protein only + salad - that's what I tend to do.

One last thing: we have a vitamixer. each morning after a workout i get my dh to make a shake. i prefer spinach, banana, carrot and apple + ice and water - he prefers frozen berries, banana and orange + almond milk and ice - when i have too many of his - i notice a little tightening of clothes! but not with mine which is less fruit and calories.

sugar is sugar is sugar.

16 grams? ACK!

Sugars are processed differently by the body. Just as there are good fats and bad fats, there are good sugars and bad sugars. A few pieces of fruit should not derail your health. The fiber actually helps neutralize some of the damage that the fructose is infllicting.

I am on Weight Watchers. I have increased my fruit intake dramatically (I eat 3-5 pieces a day on average) and have lost weight doing so w/o any noted negative side affects.

Just my personal experience...I couldn't be happier. :)

Last edited:
Hum I think to many conflictions are out about what to eat. I tjink fruit and veggies is all good for u. If eatten in a natural form the way God packaged it, no problems.
This is how I lost weight. And only after I started experimenting with high protein no carbs I started gaining weight. So for me its fruits veggies and good carbs. Beans and any types of legumes really.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.