Anyone heard of the Paleo Diet?

Who is pressuring? Just curious? :confused:
This is a discussion about our experience with Paleo/Grain-free.

I am sorry, I was not implying that anyone on this forum was pressuring anyone to go on this diet. I respect all opinions and would never judge anyone for doing what is right to better themselves.

What I meant to say is that there are pressures to eat a certain way sometimes. No dairy, no meat, lots of meat, no grains, diet full of grains, wine, no alcohol (not just Paleo, but all kinds of diets). I can see why people get confused on what they should be eating, that's all. So much conflicting information out there. But that is what makes the world go round...:)

Once again, I did not mean to imply that there was any pressure here. I apologize if anyone was offended by my comment.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's comments and, mini-natty, I did not take your comments as implying any pressure by anyone.

I do, however, feel pressure in the "outside world." From friends/family who run the gamut from vegans to diehard carnivores and everything in between.

And huge confusion from all the books and commercials and talk shows and news shows and on the Internet in blogs and articles.... saying:

eat meat, no.. don't eat meat
eat dairy, no.. don't eat dairy
eat whole grains, no... eliminate grains.

and on and on and on it goes.

Seriously. I don't know which path to choose.... I'm standing here at a huge fork in the road and I'm stuck in pause mode :D

sooooo.. I think I'll try this in stages..

Stage 1:

Eat only unprocessed food

With emphasis on lean protein and lots of colorful veggies

Fruit in moderation

Eggs, butter, dairy in moderation

Beans/legumes in moderation

Oatmeal, brown rice and quinoa in moderation.

Olive oil, avocados, almonds for healthy fats.

No wheat/rye/barley i.e. gluten free.

No sugar.

and see where that gets me :D

This is kind of where I am right now. I don't know if I will ever be able to go 100% Primal/Paleo, but I want to get to the point where that is the way I eat the vast majority of the time.

fit44, do you have any cravings for grains or have they disappeared since eating this way for several months?

Not sure how accurate this is, but from what I understand, you try your hardest to go primal/paleo most of the time....but they allow you to follow the 80/20 rule. At least I think primal is a bit more lenient. So, basically try to follow it 80% of the time if you need that one cheat a week.

Fit44: Right?

Not sure how accurate this is, but from what I understand, you try your hardest to go primal/paleo most of the time....but they allow you to follow the 80/20 rule. At least I think primal is a bit more lenient. So, basically try to follow it 80% of the time if you need that one cheat a week.

Fit44: Right?

I'm not sure the percentage, but yes Primal is more lenient with dairy, chocolate, wine, high fat desserts(cheesecake, sliced apples with nut butter, fruit with full fat whipping cream, and wild rice... all in moderation.
It's pretty cut and dry when it comes to grains.

Susan, I wish you luck! I think to key is to find what works for you. I knew in my heart what was causing all my problems, but the processed carbs are difficult to give up.They are extremely addictive. I could manage them a lot better in my younger days:eek:, but as I get older that has become insanely hard to do!

Something Mark stated in his book struck home with me. He said that he has met very few people who eat a lot of grains who claim to enjoy their ideal weight, experience perfectly satisfactory and steady energy levels, and never feel digestive stress.

I like Mark's idea about trying grain-free for 21 days to see if you notice a difference in your energy and overall well being.

What I meant to say is that there are pressures to eat a certain way sometimes. No dairy, no meat, lots of meat, no grains, diet full of grains, wine, no alcohol (not just Paleo, but all kinds of diets). I can see why people get confused on what they should be eating, that's all. So much conflicting information out there. But that is what makes the world go round...:)

I gotcha! ;)
Yes, diet is not the only confusing thing....Exercising for your body type is also confusing!!!:eek::eek: I'm 49 and still trying to figure it all out!
I have finally come to peace with my nutritional needs....now if I could only add a few more pounds of muscles to my legs and arms I would be happy!:D

Thanks fit44 -

I do know that processed carbs are my downfall.... hence, the stage 1 - gluten free and only unprocessed foods.

That's a start.... and I'll see how I do with eating brown rice, quinoa and oatmeal.

Every eating plan/diet out there agrees on ONE thing :p
Lots and lots and lots of veggies.... so I'll focus on that as well....

I.... I'm standing here at a huge fork in the road and ... :D

ha ha, Susan, when I read this I saw "huge fork in my hand!" I'm like, NO NO, put down the big fork! ::hugs::

Now that I have read this thread, I think Primal was what a nutritionist recommended for my friend for a health scare. She jumped in with both feet, felt great and lost about 5? pounds without even thinking about it.

Thanks for all the great info and links

This intrigues me. I have a friend who also LOVES the Paleo diet, but I haven't read up on it. I'm 99 percent vegetarian, though I do eat fish from time to time (maybe twice a month or so). Do you think this diet is doable if you are a vegetarian or mostly vegetarian? I suppose I could just up my fish intake.

I'm not doing ANYTHING until after Christmas. I am going to bake and eat and eat and bake and gain 5 pounds. :eek: I am a southern gal who loves to bake and gather in the kitchen with my family. However, I will be wanting to get back on the clean eating wagon in January. I may be performing in a ballet recital in May (Yeah, don't ask. :p) and this hippo ain't tutu ready.

This has been an interesting discussion! Thanks fit44 for all the information. So funny since my big reservation to going paleo is my morning oatmeal! ...hate to give it up!

If anyone is interested in learning more about this way of eating, there are several podcasts: (I listen to podcasts at night in bed going to sleep!)

The Paleo Solution - Robb Wolk
This week in Paleo - Angelo Coppola
Everyday Paleo -
Latest in Paleo -

They are all free - just search the iTunes store and download to your ipod or computer.

Hope it helps!
Liz

Thanks for the info Lizh!
I'm listening now.:cool:

Interesting in podcast 110.....Robb Wolf includes dairy in the grey area of Paleo. It has more to do with allergy response.

Last edited:
I hope to find what works for me...

I like Mark's idea about trying grain-free for 21 days to see if you notice a difference in your energy and overall well being.

Thanks fit44 for all the great info!

I tried grain-free for about 3 weeks, and I felt more energy, carb cravings were gone, I was less bloated and overall felt MUCH better. The only downfall was the irregularity. :(:eek:

I went back and calculated about how much fiber I was eating prior to the dietary change, and it was a huge difference! (even WITH all the fruits and veggies I was eating on the "grain-free" diet). I guess it was too much of a drastic change for my body.

I still want the diet to work for me because I felt great while I was on it. Maybe I'll add oatmeal and beans a few times a week or every other day..? I agree, it is whatever works for you, so I hope to find a tweaked version that works best for me.

This has been a great thread. Thanks to the original poster for getting it started! :)

Thanks fit44 for all the great info!

I tried grain-free for about 3 weeks, and I felt more energy, carb cravings were gone, I was less bloated and overall felt MUCH better. The only downfall was the irregularity. :(:eek:

I went back and calculated about how much fiber I was eating prior to the dietary change, and it was a huge difference! (even WITH all the fruits and veggies I was eating on the "grain-free" diet). I guess it was too much of a drastic change for my body.

I still want the diet to work for me because I felt great while I was on it. Maybe I'll add oatmeal and beans a few times a week or every other day..? I agree, it is whatever works for you, so I hope to find a tweaked version that works best for me.

This has been a great thread. Thanks to the original poster for getting it started! :)

Were you eating enough nuts? They seem to help me.:D
Fiber content of nuts-
List Of High Fiber Foods (Nuts) | Foods With Fiber

Also, 5-6 grams of fish oil a day. I take New Chapter Fish oil.

I had flaxseed oil and vinegar on my salads daily, but I don't know if it is 5-6 grams worth. Also, I ate nuts a few times a week, but not every day. I will try those suggestions! Thanks for the link! :D

For reference, I eat 2 servings of nuts everyday, and take fish oil at bedtime. I use flax oil on my veggies, but not everyday. Fish oil is not the same as flax.
Fish Oil Vs. Flax Oil | LIVESTRONG.COM
The fish oil helps lubricate the intestinal tract. Sorry if this is TMI. It's also great for your joints. I give my mastiffs fish oil for joint support.:)

For reference, I eat 2 servings of nuts everyday, and take fish oil at bedtime. I use flax oil on my veggies, but not everyday. Fish oil is not the same as flax.
Fish Oil Vs. Flax Oil | LIVESTRONG.COM
The fish oil helps lubricate the intestinal tract. Sorry if this is TMI. It's also great for your joints. I give my mastiffs fish oil for joint support.:)

Good to know...I was only taking flax oil at night. Thanks, Fit44!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.