Anyone heard of the Paleo Diet?

Jenn,

I COMPLETELY understand about the grains in the house with kids. My husband and I made the switch when our kids moved out! LOL
It is so much easier to transition when you don't have the food in the house. Once this eating lifestyle becomes a habit, it's very easy to walk away from the processed food.

I have gotten a little bit better about it..actually a lot better, but I used to eat anything they didn't finish. Now I have to throw it away. I think I should probably try to cut down the amount of carbs/grains that they are eating. I feel like the majority of their diets are grains. It's a very hard habit to break, especially for kids. Pasta, bread, bagels, cereals, etc....I can't eat any of that anymore without it making me feel awful!

I have gotten a little bit better about it..actually a lot better, but I used to eat anything they didn't finish. Now I have to throw it away. I think I should probably try to cut down the amount of carbs/grains that they are eating. I feel like the majority of their diets are grains. It's a very hard habit to break, especially for kids. Pasta, bread, bagels, cereals, etc....I can't eat any of that anymore without it making me feel awful!

This is my biggest regret with my children. I feel that I have created carb junkies. :(
I felt like crap all the time, and I had to restrict my calories like crazy so I wouldn't gain weight.
I was replacing all the fruits and veggies I should have been eating by filling up on grains.

Angela,

My favorite food on this plan is:
Salmon steak &
Spinach, strawberry, blueberry, red onion, pecan salad drizzled with flax or olive oil dressing. I could eat this salad everyday....and I think I did for a month.:p

The bulk of what I eat is fresh produce.
I am very creative with veggies combining every green leaf plant (chard, romaine, spinach, spring mix, kale) with home grown tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli. I eat a huge salad at dinner almost every night. If I'm not that hungry (like last night), I ate a salmon steak.

I eat every fruit in season. I was into a watermelon kick over the summer.
Strawberries and blueberries are my favorite fruit, so I eat that pretty much everyday. Bananas, sweet potatoes, apples, pears, raisins, grapes, cranberries. I LOVE Trader Joe's dried pineapple! OMG, that stuff tastes like candy and it has one ingredient...pineapples.:D

My favorite nuts to snack on...pecans, cashews, pistachios, almonds.

I eat salmon steak or Talapia 2-3 times a week, roasted chicken with skin (I use herbs of province from Williams Sonoma), turkey, filet mignon once a week. I grill weekly all year round.

There are a lot of healthy recipes on Mark's Daily Apple website and in the Paleo books.
I don't like to cook, so this diet works great for me because I eat mostly raw.
I make protein smoothies post workout...using J-Robb protein powder & fruit (sometimes spinach), and I bought a juicer to make green juices. :)

And I include some dairy in my diet(non-paleo) - greek yogurt and provel cheese(a local favorite).

I forgot...eggs! I eat eggs several times a week.

Thanks fit44!

When you say "flax or olive oil dressing"....is it just the straight oil or some kind of dressing blend that you buy?

Hello all!

Just wanted to comment on the children. I have a six year old daughter and have just recently started transition her off of all of the processed food. It is my own fault for just wanting to get some food in her when we are in a hurry, which seems to be all of the time :confused:, but I am really going to make an effort as I have seen how much better I feel going Paleo and so I feel like I should give her the same opportunity. I am lucky in that she is not a picky eater. For example, over the weekend I browned some ground beef and just threw every veggie I had in there with it along with some seasoning. I put a bowl of it in front of her and she loved it! She did pick out a couple of the veggies that she prefers not to eat but I was ok with that. I told her that we (really meaning her since I am already there but wanted to make her feel like it was going to be a joint effort ;)) are going to start eating much healthier and that it would make her feel healthy and strong every day! She seems to be on board. Anyway, I figure we will get thru what processed food we do have in the house that she eats and then I just won't buy any more.

Any thoughts on good books?

I've been browsing at amazon.com and I see:

21 day Transformation by Mark Sisson (of the Mark's Daily Apple blog)

The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf which looks good

a cookbook by Sarah Fragoso called Everyday Paleo which got excellent reviews.

Any thoughts on these before I hit "buy?"

or are there better books?

Last edited:
I have read The Paleo Solution - Good book. Well written, good humor, down to earth and to the point. Everyday Paleo has some excellent recipes in it. Sarah Fragaso is a big name in the Paleo world, as is Robb Wolf of course, and her entire family is Paleo. I have not read the 21 Day Transformation so I cannot speak to that one.

If you are wanting info on the idea behind Paleo and insight into the health benefits, definitely go with the Paleo Solution. Everyday Paleo does have some of my go-to recipes in it but you can find soooo many online for free! :p Both Sarah Fragaso and Robb Wolf have excellent websites/forums where you can get a ton of info and recipes. HTH.

See, my issue is; I do love beans and I love, love, love my oatmeal. I would have to give up the beans and the oatmeal, or atleast seriously limit each one. I will have to give it a try, and maybe I will take a look at the primal blueprint. By the way, how quickly did you see the pounds drop off?

Thanks guys

I love beans and oatmeal as well! More importantly, it helps keep me "regular". I tried a Paleo-type diet for a month, and it really messed up my digestive system. I thought with all the fruits and veggies I was eating, regularity wouldn't be an issue (TMI, I know...:eek:...but it's the truth). I'm wondering if it is because I increased my protein intake as well (animal protein for breakfast, lunch & dinner and lack of high fiber content from no legumes, breads/grains).

Those that follow a Paleo-type diet, is fiber intake an issue for you?

I'm thinking of tweaking my plan a bit and including some legumes and/or oatmeal just in the mornings.

Thanks

I follow the Primal Blueprint "version" of the Paleo diet. I haven't been so great about it lately, but when I'm on it, I feel GREAT and no digestion issues, which is awesome. My main fiber source is from veggies and salad. I do miss oatmeal a LOT but the Primal Blueprint recipe book has a great hot "cereal" recipe made with nuts that is a nice substitute.

I found that when I followed this strictly (and I'm getting back on the strict track now), it really helped me lost the 5 extra pounds I was looking to lose. I didn't realize how much extra weight I was keeping on with grains/carbs as part of my diet. I miss them terribly, but have found that my digestion gets all messed up after I eat them and I feel pretty terrible after eating them, so I'm trying to find primal substitutes that help me miss them a little less.

I'm a work in progress and not perfect with it by any means, but I think I'm headed in the right direction for me :)

Good question tiletha444 -

I was also wondering about fiber because right now I eat oatmeal for breakfast most mornings (with some 2% milk and a banana), I eat whole grain breads and brown rice. and I eat beans a couple of times a week. That's a lot of fiber.....

Eating a lot of vegetables and fruit will certainly provide fiber, but it seems like on a Paleo/Primal diet that I would be missing a lot of fiber and I have always read/been taught that fiber is good for us and that it is important in a healthy diet.

So much confusion about what to eat...

Some doctors say go vegetarian.. eat whole grains and other plant based foods and eliminate all animal products from your diet.

The Paleo/Primal diet says the exact opposite.

I don't know what to think anymore.....:confused:

Last edited:
Some doctors say go vegetarian.. eat whole grains and other plant based foods and eliminate all animal products from your diet.

I am with this school of thought. I have been reading this thread with interest and am impressed with people's results. I have felt my best tho when eliminating animal products. I eat lots of greens, beans, fruits and vegies. I like to bake a potato either sweet or white and then put lots of vegetables on top.
I did the Atkins diet years ago to lose weight and it worked and I have kept it off. But I did have digestion problems and with a vegetarian diet these have totally disappeared.
I think with grains it is important to be aware of portions. I do eat quinoa, light brown rice and pasta but always small portions with lots of vegies. Plus I like to eat all fruits and usually have a big fruit salad with sprouted grain bread and nut butter for breakfast.
I guess you just have to find what works for you nutritionally and what you are comfortable and happy eating.

Last edited:
I have had the opposite experience tiletha444 has had. I have always struggled with irregularity. I would be lucky to go two times a week.
Not with this diet. For the first time in my life, I'm regular.:D

This is a plant based diet, not a high protein diet. The bulk of the diet is fruits and veggies. You are replacing grains with fruit and veggies.

Loren Cordain, author of The Paleo Diet states grains are not only low in nutrients, but cereal grains contain chemicals that actually prevent your body from absorbing nutrients and damage the immune system & gastrointestinal.

This is what Mark has to say about grains-
The Definitive Guide to Grains | Mark's Daily Apple

Last edited:
I am with fit44 on this one too. I have always had problems too but not on Paleo and actually I find if I eat some grains whether it be oatmeal or I go all out and have gluten it messes me up...I have no idea how many grams of fiber I get on a daily basis...I don't like to have to work with numbers that much;) but I don't feel backed up by any means. Along those lines, I eat a ton of protein - I go thru almost 3 dozen eggs a week and have either beef or chicken for every other meal plus the occassional protein powder shake.

I am of the school of thought that different things will work for different people. I do agree that processed foods are bad for everyone but I think some people probably don't have to cut out all beans or legumes or all types of grain... You just have to find what works for you. What works for me is a lot of protein, veggies, fruits, nuts and no dairy or grains! I am just so happy I stumbled upon the Paleo diet and am no longer settling for sub-par health!

Natalie

Well, this is an all time low for me - perusing the Primal Blueprint site whilst eating 2 huge Dutch donuts - which are literally called "balls of oil" (oliebollen):eek:

I want to turn over a new leaf.....but I think it's just fallen off the tree anyway....:(

cheers Rosemarie

RoseMarie,

Put down the donut!:D:p You'll make the change when you're ready. It's not that difficult.
I agree with Natalie, you don't have to give up all grains...just trade for the least processed like beans and oatmeal. I would encourage you to ditch anything made with wheat.

This is the first year in a very long time that I can remember getting through the holidays without gaining weight. For me the cookie and cake munching would begin Thanksgiving and continue through the first of the year. I've always had to cut weight after the holidays, but not this year!

I love Mark's video for his 2 minute salad.
2 Minute Salad on Vimeo
This is exactly how I got through the transition...I kept veggies cut and prepared, and anytime I felt the need to eat the crappy food I would throw together a veggie salad and chomp away. The cravings would disappear. I get very creative with the leaf part of my salads.

Good question tiletha444 -

I was also wondering about fiber because right now I eat oatmeal for breakfast most mornings (with some 2% milk and a banana), I eat whole grain breads and brown rice. and I eat beans a couple of times a week. That's a lot of fiber.....

Eating a lot of vegetables and fruit will certainly provide fiber, but it seems like on a Paleo/Primal diet that I would be missing a lot of fiber and I have always read/been taught that fiber is good for us and that it is important in a healthy diet.

So much confusion about what to eat...

The Paleo/Primal diet says the exact opposite.

I don't know what to think anymore.....:confused:

I just want to respond to your comment. I do not follow the Paleo lifestyle and it suits me PERFECTLY. I love my beans, grains, fruits, veggies, meat, fish,dairy, desserts. My diet is full of variety. I am healthy, full of energy, have no medical conditions. I think whatever works for you, is the BEST DIET to be on. Do not be pressured to change otherwise. If your eating habits are not working (ie- food sensitivities, digestion problems, ect.) then by all means change them, but you know the saying "if it's not broken, don't fix it". For me, it's a matter of portion control and balance. You won't ever catch me giving up pasta, no way. I won't have a huge plate and I make mine whole wheat, but give it up entirely? No way!!! My body loves the way I am eating and I listen and respect it.

I am not here to knock down this diet. It seems very healthy and beneficial. Just do what's right for you, that's all. Your body knows best, no book or person can tell you otherwise.

I follow the Primal Blueprint "version" of the Paleo diet. I haven't been so great about it lately, but when I'm on it, I feel GREAT and no digestion issues, which is awesome. My main fiber source is from veggies and salad. I do miss oatmeal a LOT but the Primal Blueprint recipe book has a great hot "cereal" recipe made with nuts that is a nice substitute.

I found that when I followed this strictly (and I'm getting back on the strict track now), it really helped me lost the 5 extra pounds I was looking to lose. I didn't realize how much extra weight I was keeping on with grains/carbs as part of my diet. I miss them terribly, but have found that my digestion gets all messed up after I eat them and I feel pretty terrible after eating them, so I'm trying to find primal substitutes that help me miss them a little less.

I'm a work in progress and not perfect with it by any means, but I think I'm headed in the right direction for me :)

This is kind of where I am right now. I don't know if I will ever be able to go 100% Primal/Paleo, but I want to get to the point where that is the way I eat the vast majority of the time.

fit44, do you have any cravings for grains or have they disappeared since eating this way for several months?

I think whatever works for you, is the BEST DIET to be on. Do not be pressured to change otherwise. If your eating habits are not working (ie- food sensitivities, digestion problems, ect.) then by all means change them, but you know the saying "if it's not broken, don't fix it".

Who is pressuring? Just curious? :confused:
This is a discussion about our experience with Paleo/Grain-free.

Last edited:
fit44, do you have any cravings for grains or have they disappeared since eating this way for several months?

No, they are gone. I told myself if I needed to include anything that would keep me satisfied, I would. I eat greek yogurt and a very small amount of cheese (Primal approved).
I will eat oatmeal if I feel I need it, but I've had no desire for it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.